[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World looks like another typical overpowered-magic-protagonist-goes-to-school-and-gets-a-harem story. Maybe slightly more interesting than most of the previous entries in the genre, which have all been "mid" grade at best. I guess I'll find out, as the first episode didn't chase me away. But it doesn't look like must-see-TV either.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Buddy Daddies - too soon to tell, really, but it feels a lot like someone was trying to mix Great Pretender with Spy x Family. The kid is really cute. It has an interesting angle (a pair of freelance assassins inadvertently take in a small child), but I quickly got bored of Great Pretender because it took itself too seriously and was trying too hard. This one has the same "feel" to it. But I'm willing to give it a few more episodes to see how it shakes out.

GasBandit

Staff member
Trigun Stampede - also too soon to tell after just one episode, but it looks like it could be good. There's some big changes from the original Trigun series, both in plot (Meryl Strife is now a reporter, not an insurance adjuster, Knives' betrayal is exposited right out of the gate along with Vash's origin, Milly Thompson's been cut entirely and replaced by an older "mentor" figure for Meryl named.. get this... Roberto de Niro) and in art/character design, but so far I'm thinking it's mostly to the better. OG Trigun had a LOT of filler, wheel-spinning, and time-wasting, going over the whole "Is this Vash THAT Vash?" nonsense before it started getting to the meat and potatoes of the story, which then (too) quickly ended. This one seems like it's going to start addressing the main arc right from the start.

I'll be watching to see how it goes.

Trigun Stampede - also too soon to tell after just one episode, but it looks like it could be good. There's some big changes from the original Trigun series, both in plot (Meryl Strife is now a reporter, not an insurance adjuster, Knives' betrayal is exposited right out of the gate along with Vash's origin, Milly Thompson's been cut entirely and replaced by an older "mentor" figure for Meryl named.. get this... Roberto de Niro) and in art/character design, but so far I'm thinking it's mostly to the better. OG Trigun had a LOT of filler, wheel-spinning, and time-wasting, going over the whole "Is this Vash THAT Vash?" nonsense before it started getting to the meat and potatoes of the story, which then (too) quickly ended. This one seems like it's going to start addressing the main arc right from the start.

That they start the new show with Vash's backstory right away was a surprise. But like you wrote this is not a bad thing. I'm sure people will complain about the cgi.

Legend of Heroes: The Northern War - the first episode was a bit of a let down. Sure there were two fight scenes but everything else was just exposition. I played the first Trails of cold steel and finished it last month. I liked the game and overall story and will continue to watch the show but I hope it get better the next time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Onimai: I'm now your sister!

Nope. Just... No. I tried, I really did, but I couldn't even get through the first episode. Whatever good aspects this show has are quickly, repeatedly, and completely buried under an avalanche of preteen sexualization. Not even subtle. This is straight up pedo-pandering. It's shows like this that keep the whole "Anime fans are pedophiles" stigma fresh.

There were plenty of story elements they could have gone to with the "mad scientist transforms her brother into a girl without his permission" premise, and it seems a shame to squander it with crass, lewd humor and nauseating would-be fan service featuring a barely pubescent girl. But squander it they did, and I feel soiled for even having watched as much as I did.

Avoid. Like the plague.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not ready to make a judgement on Ningen Fushin either. Looks like it's trying to mix Shield Hero with Konosuba, just without the Isekai factor of either. Could go either way at this point, but it has my attention.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isekai Quartet came out with a movie instead of a third season. It's basically a long-form standalone episode with some fan wish-fulfillment, but really, isn't that the description of the entire series? Worth checking out if you like the series. If you're not already invested in watching Isekai Quartet, then I recommend you skip it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - "Farming Life in another World"
Another short-form manga I've been reading for a long time. First episode was pretty much how I hoped it would be. One thing to remember is this is a very slow, chill, slice-of-life show. Yes, the protagonist is an OP Isekai'd everyman, but if you can deal with the narrative method (there is a LOT of narration VO in this title, in the show as it was in the anime) it's a good "comfort food" kind of story.

Downside is it's only on Hidive, which means I'm having to sail the digital high seas to watch it >_<

Nier: Automata ver. 1.1a - Even though the first episode didn't bring anything new to the table ( it was the whole prolog reanimated) it was still a strong start. There was some questional cgi but the 2d animation looked really good. The opening was a surprise and I like the puppet comedy bit at the end that explains the world and how to get the different endings in the game. I wonder if the anime will diverge from the game. I hope so.

GasBandit

Staff member
Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill

I'm a sucker for a good subversion Isekai. This is why I keep giving mid-grade stuff like the various pharmacy isekai shows a chance.
This one actually seems like it has some promise, I'm cautiously hopeful.

The premise is 4 heroes are summoned to save a kingdom... naturally they get unique super-skills to help them. The first gets swordsmanship, the second magic, the third priestly power....

... and our protagonist gets "Online Grocery Shopping" as his special power.

Which is kind of odd given that there's no internet in this alternate medieval world.

Everybody agrees he's useless, they toss him 20 gold coins as a consolation prize, and let him wander off while the other 3 go to face the demon lord.

Turns out his ability is pretty useful because it works from anywhere (he has his own "browser window" that pops up an Amazon-like interface whenever he wants), delivery is instantaneous and free, and he can feed the local currency right into it to pay. And the food available for purchase is from Japan, not from the new world. So the food quality is lightyears beyond what any of the locals are used to, especially travelling or in poor areas. And while he's not a gourmet, he has a decent grasp of intermediate cooking, so he can prepare meals by mixing local ingredients with stuff he buys "online" and suddenly his food is the best thing anybody's ever tasted.

Like I said, it's only one episode out so far, but I'm digging what I'm seeing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not ready to make a judgement on Ningen Fushin either. Looks like it's trying to mix Shield Hero with Konosuba, just without the Isekai factor of either. Could go either way at this point, but it has my attention.
It's starting to lose my attention. It seems to have forgotten what its own hook is.

Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World looks like another typical overpowered-magic-protagonist-goes-to-school-and-gets-a-harem story. Maybe slightly more interesting than most of the previous entries in the genre, which have all been "mid" grade at best. I guess I'll find out, as the first episode didn't chase me away. But it doesn't look like must-see-TV either.
Continues to be decidedly mid.

The anime for "Tomo-chan is a Girl!" has premiered on CR. I really liked the manga, and am hopeful for the series.
Still going strong, do recommend.

The first episode of Revenger is really good. I am going to be watching all of this one for sure. It has an interesting hook and already some very good characters. The art style and animation is pretty good, too.
Treading water, but still pretty good.

I'm thinking I might have liked this better if I hadn't watched the original. We're still in the "introducing characters" part of the plot and I'm not sure I like the changes they've made to some of the characters. Meryl in particular is irritating me a lot. And the low framerate 3D CGI just feels a lot less fleshed out than the hand drawn original did.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
It's already in my book as a strong contender for the best rom com this year.
Someone in one of the CR comment threads pointed out something that stuck with me - one of the things I like is that the male romantic lead is not a blank slate everyman. He's his own guy with his own personality, flaws, eccentricities, and goals. He's not a space for the viewer to insert himself into. And furthermore, he's not a hackneyed "complimentary" component to Tomo. It's not a strong/dumb + weak/smart pairing or anything like that. Tomo and Jun have similar personalities, similar interests, and similar strengths. It's a story about two people who start off feeling like the same person, but deepen their relationship by discovering differences.

And I know that a lot of people will find Carol irritating and shallow at the beginning, but very quickly she displays hidden depth and becomes interesting.

Also I like that Tomo can beat the shit out of anybody that fucks with her - but the truly terrifying female presence is tiny little Misuzu.

Someone in one of the CR comment threads pointed out something that stuck with me - one of the things I like is that the male romantic lead is not a blank slate everyman. He's his own guy with his own personality, flaws, eccentricities, and goals. He's not a space for the viewer to insert himself into. And furthermore, he's not a hackneyed "complimentary" component to Tomo. It's not a strong/dumb + weak/smart pairing or anything like that. Tomo and Jun have similar personalities, similar interests, and similar strengths. It's a story about two people who start off feeling like the same person, but deepen their relationship by discovering differences.

And I know that a lot of people will find Carol irritating and shallow at the beginning, but very quickly she displays hidden depth and becomes interesting.

Also I like that Tomo can beat the shit out of anybody that fucks with her - but the truly terrifying female presence is tiny little Misuzu.
i saw a picture story of tomo's parents, and they look super cute too

GasBandit

Staff member
Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army

It's cute. Upper tier mid. Not as much gratuitous fanservice as Iceblade Sorcerer, but there is some. Plot's not especially deep, most characters are kinda forgettable, but it's a warm fuzzy kinda deal.

GasBandit

Staff member
By the Grace of the Gods

Did you like Ascendance of a Bookworm? If so you'll probably like this one. It's less saccharine but still pretty high on the "cutesy" factor, very seiso.

An overworked dude dies in his sleep and gets isekai-reincarnated as a slime rancher who becomes a business owner, and in turn makes extra efforts to take care of his employees. It's a very slow-burn kind of series, not huge on action or anything but I found it engrossing enough to keep watching it. It's in the middle of simulcasting its second season now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army

It's cute. Upper tier mid. Not as much gratuitous fanservice as Iceblade Sorcerer, but there is some. Plot's not especially deep, most characters are kinda forgettable, but it's a warm fuzzy kinda deal.
Wow, I did not expect
the protagonist to get the love interest, get married, and have a kid by episode 6. They usually stretch that out at least a season. Good on em.

Wow, I did not expect
the protagonist to get the love interest, get married, and have a kid by episode 6. They usually stretch that out at least a season. Good on em.
I like anime that do that. Celibate heroes that keep the female protagonist at arm length, will they won't they or harem settings are getting boring.

GasBandit

Staff member

Sounds so bad it might actually be worth wa... oh wait... it's on HIDIVE only?

Nevermind. Might as well not exist.
So I actually got a free week trial of HIDIVE through my Amazon prime subscription. I went ahead and used it to start watching this.

At no point so far have I understood what is actually going on. It feels like how it was back in the '90s when all the translations were over literal and frequently incorrect so that you saw cool shit going on on screen but had no idea why people were doing what they were doing.

But I can tell you that the subtitlers of this show are having a field day. Especially on names that are puns.

There is literally a character named Perv Asshat.

This is Tatsumaki.
1678352980140.png

Tatsumaki is a character from One Punch Man. Despite looking (and sounding and acting) like a young girl, she's canonically 28 years old. I just want to emphasize this point at the start. She's very much an adult.

As you may be able to tell from that image up there, Tatsumaki's usual outfit has a "skirt" that basically comprises four or five individual "strips", and the structure of these strips means she usually shows a lot of leg. This outfit has also led to widespread speculation (mostly tongue-in-cheek) among the fanbase about whether Tatsumaki wears panties. Since she's an esper (basically her power is telekinesis), her hair and dress often lift up when she's using her power, eg:

1678353279269.png

However, despite this, so far no upskirt shot has ever appeared in the comic.

That all changed today, when Yusuke Murata, the guy drawing the manga, released a chapter that settled the debate once and for all. Tatsumaki wears panties.

1678353469521.png

There is a not-insignificant section of the fanbase mourning (mostly in a tongue-in-cheek fashion) their previous belief that Tatsumaki canonically goes commando.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady

It started off being full of potential, but man has it gotten tedious and one-dimensional. Much as I hate to say it, all the important things that make a show interesting have taken a back seat to emphasize the obvious-but-not-spoken subplot/premise of "boy it sucks to be a closeted lesbian discovering yourself in a dark age patriarchal society." And even that becomes infuriating when nobody will shit or get off the pot and it just draaaaags. So maybe someone who personally identifies more with that struggle (or a similar one) will have this show speak to them more, but clearly I am not the intended audience for this show. And I'm so bored I'm dropping it before finishing the season. And I HATE dropping shows before at least finishing a season to see if it finds its feet. But this one started on its feet, stumbled, and after 10 episodes STILL hasn't stood back up.