[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

This one has been a pleasant find. The story follows an elven mage in the Hero's party starting immediately after their victory over the Demon Lord. Though the journey has taken 10 years, for an elf it constitutes little more than a fleeting experience because her extreme longevity means her perspective on the passage of time is so different from humans. In what seems like no time at all to her, the others grow old and die, and she goes on a journey of personal growth and understanding because she regrets not having spent more time in her companions' brief lives.

It's a very thoughtful and sedate show, and I am finding it quite compelling.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

This one has been a pleasant find. The story follows an elven mage in the Hero's party starting immediately after their victory over the Demon Lord. Though the journey has taken 10 years, for an elf it constitutes little more than a fleeting experience because her extreme longevity means her perspective on the passage of time is so different from humans. In what seems like no time at all to her, the others grow old and die, and she goes on a journey of personal growth and understanding because she regrets not having spent more time in her companions' brief lives.

It's a very thoughtful and sedate show, and I am finding it quite compelling.
My husband started reading this Manga when ProZD mentioned it a couple of years ago, and he's been super excited for the anime.

Pluto

A few months ago, I started reading the original Astro Boy comics. And just from skimming things online, I learned about Pluto, a kind of darker, more grounded reimagining of "The Greatest Robot on Earth" storyline. So I decided to borrow out the manga from the library.

And damn, does it work. It expands on the idea, fleshes out each of the "greatest robots," and turns the whole thing into a big murder mystery. I've always struggled with reading manga because it's hard for me to switch gears and "read backwards," but this comic is helping me overcome that.

Anyway, right at the same time as I started reading Pluto, I checked to see if there was an anime. And sure enough, there was. And it's damn good, too. I'm not binging it, as I want to read through the manga first, but I'm really digging the anime, too. It's more or less taking the comic and adapting it page-for-page, but it does a great job doing it.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway

Might as well have called it "I'm a nice guy, really: The Anime"
It's squicky. Not like, Redo of Healer squicky, but still pretty Elvis Reaction levels of squicky, made all the moreso by its hamfisted attempts to crowbar in "wholesome."

GasBandit

Staff member
MF Ghost

They actually made a sequel to Initial D, and I'm actually enjoying it so far.

So far the eurobeat soundtrack is a little on the subdued side but I have hope.

Akuma-Kun(2023)

Because presumably at least THREE people demanded it, a sequel to the OTHER Kitaro! With an Akuma-Kun, who just HAPPENS to look more like Kitaro! Because you know, THAT was the more successful series!

Looks pretty good, supernatural mystery series with old school character designs, but its also HEAVILY made for fans of the old series which I never watched nor remembered until JUST today! So like, Shingo randomly Deus Ex Machina-ing his way in to save Not-Kintaro doesn't have much of an effect on me as it would a super fan.

Great, I just learned a tv channel over here shows the second season of Goblin Slayer. And I misssed the first four episodes. :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've now completely lost interest in Shield Hero. They're making shit up as they go and nothing feels like it has stakes anymore.

16 Bit Sensation: Another Layer

This one is a bit of a hidden gem. I'm pleasently surprised watching it. From the synopsis the show sounds a bit like New Game or Remake our Lifes (similar premise with the visual novels) and that would have been OK for me.
But this show also puts in a bit of Steins;Gate. It even gets a reference in episode 10. Every episode has references to famous visual novels and the game studios. One thing I didn't expect is the use and name dropping of actual IPs. I expected lawyer friendly stand ins or made up games. But seeing the actual box art of games like Kanon, Pia Carrot or Comic Party was a bit of a surprise.

Even the show's website has 90s style page.

16 Bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 11

Wow, that got dark. I didn't expected that sudden turn. Of course the alternate 2023 is not all sunshine and rainbows and is a dystopia. But we already saw that in episode 10 with Fate/Gears of Order and american Saber lol;).
The sudden genre shift is not so weird however. A anime about visual novels with time travel will get wild with its plot twists.

Lot's of references this time too. Konoha remembers her first day in Akihabara and we see light novel volumes of Re:Zero, Konosuba, Konobi and Netoge no Yome, Posters for Love Live!, Girls and Panzer and the PS4 version of Persona 5.
1000005456.png

1000005455.png

This episode was also topical with the usage of A.I. in game develpment and the debate artist vs. A.I. . I guess Mamoru's solution with a local database and no access to the internet could prevent art theft but I doubt it's very practical in real life. He also points out something crucial. While A.I. can create impressive results it lacks passion. It creates but has no reason to do so. In the alternate 2023 the use of A.I. became a industry standart and while many games are produced they feel off. Like they are in an uncanny valley for games.

Two episodes left. I guess the kidnapping plot will be resolved next episode and in episode 13 Konoha try to fix the timeline back in 1999.

Last edited: