TIL: Today I Learned

fade

Staff member
Man, some of those are a stretch. Makefile and TeX are pushing it. I guess technically you can program with them, but you can program with Minecraft technically, too. The more general markup languages are even odder.

The only left side ones that I have heard of are Mathematica and scilab. I have used both too. We use R, python, and perl around here. I took a java class in college. I stink at all of them though. I have cheat sheets hanging up all around my desk.

YIL: how to make 1/2 blind dovetails, full dovetails, and mortise and tenon joinery by hand from the legendary Roy Underhill. It was a fantastic day!

Man, some of those are a stretch. Makefile and TeX are pushing it. I guess technically you can program with them, but you can program with Minecraft technically, too. The more general markup languages are even odder.
Stack Overflow: We love CUDA and SQL
GitHub: We love TeX and BlitzBasic

--Patrick

TIL that a female friend of mine who lives down in Augusta, Georgia has a rather unconventional family situation.

Short version: Her husband had an affair and got another woman pregnant. He, my friend, and the other woman have now bought a house together and they are cooperatively raising the little girl.

On the one hand, none of my business. On the other, listening to her telling me about it, I had the chant "JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!" going on in the back of my mind.

TIL that a female friend of mine who lives down in Augusta, Georgia has a rather unconventional family situation.

Short version: Her husband had an affair and got another woman pregnant. He, my friend, and the other woman have now bought a house together and they are cooperatively raising the little girl.

On the one hand, none of my business. On the other, listening to her telling me about it, I had the chant "JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!" going on in the back of my mind.
Your friend is married to William Moulton Marston?

TIL - Being a student does not mean an undergrad when it comes to conferences/workshops. Since I'm not in a graduate program I can't take the student price. wtf

Although the irony is that the title of the conference is "Preparing Students and Counselors for College and Career Readiness".

TIL - Being a student does not mean an undergrad when it comes to conferences/workshops. Since I'm not in a graduate program I can't take the student price. wtf

Although the irony is that the title of the conference is "Preparing Students and Counselors for College and Career Readiness".
This fits your avatar perfectly, btw.

I'd say in Marston's case it may have been a mutual agreement, since the women stayed together until one passed, long after Marston had died. But Internet brownie points for the reference.
I went for humour over accuracy. It's like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, but for jokes!

TIL: "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti" references three foods not permitted on the medication that would have kept Dr Lector normal.

TIL: "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti" references three foods not permitted on the medication that would have kept Dr Lector normal.
NO this whole thing is bullshit. MOA inhibitors, with which you should not eat (in particular) fava beans, are a quickly-going-out-of-style treatment for atypical depression. Lecter is a psychopath, he wouldn't have been on them for any reason, even if he had been receiving treatment.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that not only does my local library lend eBooks, but it also has streaming video. Right now I'm watching "The Men Who Stare at Goats" and I'm not sure what all else there is that's decent.