TIL: Today I Learned

GasBandit

Staff member
"slow-witted" doesn't mean "rebellious" :p
Actually, the battle in question, the Battle of Palmito Ranch, happened when a Union Colonel found out about the surrender and was desperate to win some glory before the cease fire became official. Up until that point, there'd been an unofficial truce for a while, and really, no important battles were fought in Texas over the course of the war. This one is mostly noteworthy for being the last battle of the Civil War. It's also counted as a Confederate victory :p

Reading the wikipedia page, women have a higher median income than men in Glasscock county. It's now clear to me that all we need to close the wage gap, is renaming locations to things to make men feel slightly less secure.
If you need to break a glass ceiling, look no further that Glasscock.

Wait...

Actually, the battle in question, the Battle of Palmito Ranch, happened when a Union Colonel found out about the surrender and was desperate to win some glory before the cease fire became official. Up until that point, there'd been an unofficial truce for a while, and really, no important battles were fought in Texas over the course of the war. This one is mostly noteworthy for being the last battle of the Civil War. It's also counted as a Confederate victory :p
Lost the war, won the battle?

Now that's a new one...

Necronic

Staff member
TIL: Texas was in the Confederacy.
There's a lot of interesting stuff surrounding Sam Houston and that. Can't remember it all but he basically just gave up on Texas for that. Not that he was super against slavery, but he thought this was treason and unacceptable.[DOUBLEPOST=1427227483,1427227040][/DOUBLEPOST]Sam Houston is, btw, one of the coolest duders in American history. Raised by Indians. Defeated Santa-Anna. First leader of texas, which he then sadly walked away from in his final years due to its fall to the confederacy.

GasBandit

Staff member
TIalsoL.

I thought it was in one of the mainland boroughs, but I didn't know which one. I didn't think it was on the island.

Yes, I found a map of NY on one of the reddit forums for map geeks and couldn't find a fifth borough, thought it might be Harlem. Turns out there is an island called Staten that is the fifth borough.

Yeah, most people forget Staten Island for a reason. :D

EDIT: Also, Both your and Gas' assumptions are understandable considering Manhattan has a lot of well-known neighborhoods (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen/Clinton, the Village, etc.)

Used to live in Manhattan, big day for me was discovering "SoHo" stood for "South of Houston St." and that "Houston" is pronounced HOW-stun instead of HYEW-stun.
(Everywhere has one, there was a street "Lahser" near where I grew up that people keep pronouncing LASH-er instead of LAHH-zer, and let's not even get started with Schoenherr Rd which is pronounced SHAY-nur)

--Patrick

TIL when you find someone's wallet and there is no contact number, do NOT call the credit card company for his cards, especially Chase.

I just wanted them to get in touch with the guy and let him know we found his wallet and it was waiting for him at the hotel front desk. Instead they put a 48-hour hold on the card and told me to shred the card if he didn't show up after the hold expired. Apparently getting in contact with the customer when you find their card is not their SOP. :facepalm:

TIL when you find someone's wallet and there is no contact number, do NOT call the credit card company for his cards, especially Chase.

I just wanted them to get in touch with the guy and let him know we found his wallet and it was waiting for him at the hotel front desk. Instead they put a 48-hour hold on the card and told me to shred the card if he didn't show up after the hold expired. Apparently getting in contact with the customer when you find their card is not their SOP. :facepalm:
Wouldn't the standard reaction be -> no contact number -> police? At least in Belgium it's pretty much illegal to do anything else. Of course, you're obligated to care a picture ID so the cops can pretty much always return it....

Yeah, most people forget Staten Island for a reason. :D

EDIT: Also, Both your and Gas' assumptions are understandable considering Manhattan has a lot of well-known neighborhoods (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen/Clinton, the Village, etc.)
Woah woah woah! Hell's Kitchen is real? Not just a plce that Marvel invented for Daredevil?

Woah woah woah! Hell's Kitchen is real? Not just a plce that Marvel invented for Daredevil?
Yep! (I lived there for a little while). But since the,uh, "clean up" of Manhattan, they usually list it as Clinton, it's formal neighborhood title.

Wouldn't the standard reaction be -> no contact number -> police? At least in Belgium it's pretty much illegal to do anything else. Of course, you're obligated to care a picture ID so the cops can pretty much always return it....
I've been told to just drop it in a postbox and the postal service will return it (assuming there is ID with an address on it of course). I've never lost my wallet so I wouldn't know.
I found a wallet on the sidewalk last year but managed to find the guy that dropped it before i found a mailbox. The address was like right around the corner so i figured the person was probably close by and it hadnt been sitting o. The sidewalk long. Caught up with the guy right outside his apartment building.

GasBandit

Staff member
I also thought this.
And i have no idea which parts of New York city are on the mainland and which are on an island. It has zero effect on my life.
Manhattan and Staten Island. Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx are all on the mainland. I know that much from vidya games/pop culture! Though it's funny, if you play Prototype, Manhattan has open ocean to the north - I guess the Bronx sank into the sea at some point.

The part that REALLY blew my mind is that to get to New Jersey you go NORTHWEST. I'd always assumed south, because in general, New Jersey is south of New York.

I like being in the middle of Texas. You go north? Texas. South? Texas. East? West? Still Texas. For hours and hours and hours of driving, it's Texas all the way.