TIL: Today I Learned

Dave

Staff member
What did you think that episode was about ?
Well obviously I knew about the gay musical but I thought that the Dorothy part was just someone’s name. I thought it might be the female character’s name since they never said it.

Well obviously I knew about the gay musical but I thought that the Dorothy part was just someone’s name. I thought it might be the female character’s name since they never said it.
Well, it was someone's name, gay icon Judy Garland's character name...

I'm just surprised you remembered it from the show (i recalled that there was an episode where there was a question about someone's sexuality, but had to look up the details) but never came across it on the net until now. Though, to be fair, i also don't recall if i heard it before or looked it up because of the show...

Anyway, here's the scene:

I met someone online and they had a tag “Friend of Dorothy”. I laughed and sent them a message that I loved the obscure IT Crowd reference. Turns out that being a “friend of Dorothy” is code for a gay man. They have used it since the 1930’s to be able to meet up and make sure they were safe. Which is not only something I didn’t know but makes the song from “Gay: A Gay Musical” have another layer to the comedy that I’d never realized.
And the navy actually put effort into locating this mysterious Dorothy character.

Dax represents ace? :confused: I definitely need that one explained to me, because Dax was shown to be sexually active throughout the show. Jadzia and Ezri's sex-life was the literal plot of multiple episodes. I would think Dax would be the friend of Bi/Pan, because gender/species didn't matter.

Dax represents ace? :confused: I definitely need that one explained to me, because Dax was shown to be sexually active throughout the show. Jadzia and Ezri's sex-life was the literal plot of multiple episodes. I would think Dax would be the friend of Bi/Pan, because gender/species didn't matter.
Yes, i think you're right and it's Pan. But they're usually shown with the Grey blue pink flag which I associate more with ace which I guess is where my confusion comes from. There's also debate about meaning so it all gets messed up anyway. Are Friends of Garak gay people or gay people and allies? Good luck getting a straight answer to that question (pun intended)!

...I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what possible conversation (assumably) led to this person? company? deciding there was a market model railroad people having sex. I've seen a lot of model railroads in my life, and people fucking in them has never occured to me.

...I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around what possible conversation (assumably) led to this person? company? deciding there was a market model railroad people having sex. I've seen a lot of model railroads in my life, and people fucking in them has never occured to me.
They're German. ;)

I find myself wondering if these would also work in aquarium setups.
...or failing that, the beginning of another line (and sinker?) of products.

--Patrick

That's a conglomeration of a Susato whistle head, and a carbon fiber body, probably commissioned from the Carbony Flute Company, since they're the only ones I know that work in that material for tinwhistles. It was "made" by Erik the Flutemaker. It's not from "Arabia".

1688958710397.png

He sells lots of specialty scaled whistles, because you don't need to know how to play actual music to sound good noodling on them.

... I'm not getting that on Plex, either. I have limits!
I would never ask. We want LESS of that in our household. I am still taking delight in watching Mr. Z's brain melt every time our son want to "live life a quarter mile at a time". :rofl:

...But enough about that! TIL about Evil Genius Brewery! They are based out of Philly, and I cannot give you an honest review of the quality their beers until tonight. BUT! I want to share with you guys the NAMES of all their brews. I want to try too many of these just on the names alone. I think I caught almost every reference. I have missed my calling naming pop-culture beers:

The Grandpa Joe rant had me in tears. I have also picked up "There's No Crying in Baseball" and "Playoffs?!*" for our baseball teams' family BBQ this weekend.

(*Yes, I know that originated from football, but both of our teams shockingly made it to the playoffs AND championships this year, so I say it counts.)

I would never ask. We want LESS of that in our household. I am still taking delight in watching Mr. Z's brain melt every time our son want to "live life a quarter mile at a time". :rofl:

...But enough about that! TIL about Evil Genius Brewery! They are based out of Philly, and I cannot give you an honest review of the quality their beers until tonight. BUT! I want to share with you guys the NAMES of all their brews. I want to try too many of these just on the names alone. I think I caught almost every reference. I have missed my calling naming pop-culture beers:

The Grandpa Joe rant had me in tears. I have also picked up "There's No Crying in Baseball" and "Playoffs?!*" for our baseball teams' family BBQ this weekend.

(*Yes, I know that originated from football, but both of our teams shockingly made it to the playoffs AND championships this year, so I say it counts.)
Try Adulting, that's my favorite by them!

Not much info really. Town of Enterprise Alabama has a bunch of painted weevils as some sort of public art initiative. Someone made the pictured statue and it has become a bit of a tourist attraction.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that microwave drawers exist. They're meant to go under the counter in kitchens, and usually (always?) have powered opening mechanisms. They don't have rotating plates because the magnetron gets moved around instead.

The catch is that they cost $1,000 - $2,000+! Because only Sharp makes the magnetron elements for them, and all other brands are just buying those expensive parts from Sharp and then building in their own look and other features.

I'm not sure why you can't just put other types of magnetrons in a drawer, but apparently if you want the latest in kitchen trends you've got to pay an absurd price.

Also, putting a microwave at toddler height seems like it's just asking for trouble.