Export thread

Tinwhistler tries cocktails

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A while back, I got "The Dungeonmeister" for Christmas. It's a D&D themed cocktail book. And, since I have a lot more space in this house that I have all to myself, I figured I'd build out the shelves in the dining room to be my cocktail bar. I still need quite a few liqueurs but I have most of the basics here and can make about 12-15 cocktails in the book with what I have on hand.
1673399149032.png

And, of course, I've been making cocktails. The Point Blank Shot (gin, whiskey and lemon)
1673399210722.png

The Twin Strike (vodka, lime juice, triple sec)
1673399242684.png

And tonight: Faerie Fire (blue curacao, gin, vermouth, orange juice, silver luster dust)
1673399281498.png

So far, they've all been tasty

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Those all sound nice! Faerie Fire looks tasty!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Those all sound nice! Faerie Fire looks tasty!
I wasn't sure how "Martini with orange" would turn out, but I really liked it

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This one is in honor of @mikerc

2023-01-11 McWhiskey Sour.jpg

McWhiskey Sour
It's actually pretty goddamn tasty. I used the Tullamore Dew instead of the Ardbeg Wee Beastie so it'd be a true Whiskey-with-an-e :D

Shakey

Shakey

This one is in honor of @mikerc

View attachment 43620

McWhiskey Sour
It's actually pretty goddamn tasty. I used the Tullamore Dew instead of the Ardbeg Wee Beastie so it'd be a true Whiskey-with-an-e :D
You should try a sour with an egg white in it. It is incredible. If you’re not into the whole egg white thing, there are alternatives.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You should try a sour with an egg white in it. It is incredible. If you’re not into the whole egg white thing, there are alternatives.
That'd be like the Wagyu of cocktails with the price of egg these days ;)

Shakey

Shakey

That'd be like the Wagyu of cocktails with the price of egg these days ;)
Worth it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Back to my regularly scheduled program: Giant Bee
Honey, gin, lemon juice. Sweet and tasty.

1673565345674.png

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Back to my regularly scheduled program: Bee Sting

View attachment 43627
What proportions? That sounds lovely

Shakey

Shakey

Back to my regularly scheduled program: Bee Sting

View attachment 43627
Close to what I do for a gin old fashioned.
Gin
Honey syrup
Lemon bitters

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

What proportions? That sounds lovely
2::3/4::1 gin:: lemon:: honey

GasBandit

GasBandit

Feel up to a challenge?

Shakey

Shakey

Feel up to a challenge?

I want to try all of that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Someone put an admirable amount of effort into that.
...though "You've" should be "You're."

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Feel up to a challenge?

I'll probably come back and revisit these when I'm done churning through this book. Being a matrix, it seems like it'd be simple to churn through a lot of options without a big outlay of cash for specialty stuff. ;)

Today's libation: A Gnomish Gnightcap. Gin, Vermouth, Campari. I'm noticing a *lot* of the drinks in this book are basically "A martini with a bit of something added". Which I'm 100% down for.

1673917239176.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The "Sneak Attack"
White rum, cherry cordial, cointreau, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice blended into a frozen drink.
1673994477323.png

Very tasty, not very boozy tasting. I could probably down these back-to-back. Which makes it have a good name, because there's like 3oz of booze in it. It will definitely sneak up on you.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The "Sneak Attack"
White rum, cherry cordial, cointreau, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice blended into a frozen drink.
View attachment 43651

Very tasty, not very boozy tasting. I could probably down these back-to-back. Which makes it have a good name, because there's like 3oz of booze in it. It will definitely sneak up on you.
Oh yeah, that's one of those "Let's get the 18 year odl girl drunk without her noticing" cocktails. There's quite a few of those where the object really seems to be "make it taste like anything but alcohol so they'll keep over before figuring out how much more alcohol is in this than in what you're drinking yourself".

Yummy, though.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

"Royal Diplomacy" to lubricate those delicate negotiations.
Whiskey, bourbon, almond liqueur, orange, pineapple and cranberry juices and grenadine

1674105316600.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

I half-expect it would come with a maraschino cherry at that point.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I half-expect it would come with a maraschino cherry at that point.

--Patrick
A lot of these are supposed to have some kind of fruit garnish, but no cherry yet. But as I'm only having one drink a day or so, I foresaw a lot of tossed out, partially consumed fruit pieces. So I haven't bothered.

PatrThom

PatrThom

no cherry yet
It was more because the drink contained almond (whose flavor kinda tastes like cherry) and also two other things that are red. A cherry on top just seemed like a gimme to, well, top it all off.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

While it looks similar to the Faerie Fire I made before, this is the Blue Mana and has a different taste entirely, being made of vodka, blue curacao, cranberry juice, lime, and luster dust in a sugar-rimmed glass.

2023-01-19 blue mana.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Did Blue Mana yesterday. So today is Green Mana.
Fresh mint muddled with Midori, rum, lime juice and club soda, and garnished with fresh mint. Very refreshing!

2023-01-20 green mana.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I will always have a soft spot for Midori. The liqueur, not the violinist.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I will always have a soft spot for Midori. The liqueur, not the violinist.

--Patrick
I've never had it before, but the melon and mint made this super summery and refreshing feeling.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've never had it before, but the melon and mint made this super summery and refreshing feeling.
Whenever we went camping, we would mix it with Cran-Raspberry. The red and green colors combine to make a sort of brown, and the two are already quite sweet to begin with... but to me, it tastes like Summer and hiking and campfires and laying out in the sun and so on. Tastes good with a little Sprite/7-Up added, too.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1d3 Minstrels. Ardbeg Wee Beastie, Tullemore Dew, Wild Turkey.

'Minstrels' to me implies light and festive. Nope. This was more like 'the three horsemen'. Three because Death isn't in the glass-- he's on your shoulder cackling 'This is what i taste like!'

20230122_134634.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

A cocktail of whiskey, whisky and whiskey? That's... I mean, does that count as a cocktail?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A cocktail of whiskey, whisky and whiskey? That's... I mean, does that count as a cocktail?
Yep. Scotch, whiskey and bourbon. I think it counts more as a dare than a cocktail.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They should've named it the "Thorogood."

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Total Party Wipe: vodka, dark rum, tequila, gin, blue curacao, sweet and sour, 7-up. So very very tasty

2023-01-23 Total Party Wipe.jpg

chris

chris

While it looks similar to the Faerie Fire I made before, this is the Blue Mana and has a different taste entirely, being made of vodka, blue curacao, cranberry juice, lime, and luster dust in a sugar-rimmed glass.

View attachment 43658
You can't trick me. That's romulan ale.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This one was called Electrum Piece. 50/50 red bull (which is goldish in color) and goldschlager. Which makes sense as electrum is 50/50 gold/silver in D&D. But all I had was Monster Zero Ultra, so it's silver/silver instead. In .gif format because the pearl luster dust is what really makes it shine. It was a lot tastier than I expected.

01-24-2023 electrum 2.gif

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

They should've named it the "Thorogood."

--Patrick
I drink too much now, but I used to really drink too much. At one of the bars where I was a regular, the manager would end my evenings by giving me a "Thorogood" - indeed, one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Please keep us informed when you've tried this one:
1674726367155.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Fell asleep before posting this one. Dark Elf: White rum, cherry liqueur, grenadine. It's a little on the sweet side.

2023-01-26 dark elf.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2023-01-26 seduction roll.jpg

The Seduction Roll: vodka, cranberry juice, grenadine, orange juice, amaretto. This is supposed to be a pitcher's worth, so I had to do math to size it down.

I thought I'd google to see if this was called something else, and it looks like they lifted the recipe straight from: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/amaretto-cranberry-kiss-240663

Bubble181

Bubble181

Amaretto and grenadine? I don't know how much cranberry they"re pouring in there, but that sounds like super sweet cloying candy to me.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Amaretto and grenadine? I don't know how much cranberry they"re pouring in there, but that sounds like super sweet cloying candy to me.
That one was mostly vodka. The others were smaller amounts. A "splash" of grenadine for color. 1/2 oz amaretto. 1oz vodka and 2 oz cranberry. It was more balanced than the Dark Elf above, which was super sweet and cloying

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2023-01-30 orange Creamsicle.jpg
The Orange Creamsickle.

Vodka, triple sec, orange juice, heavy cream. Tastes very much like a slightly boozy Dreamsickle

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1675292739665.png

Banana Cream Pie...basically a rum banana smoothie. This was a lot boozier than I expected. If I make again, I'll use 2 parts cream to 1 part rum instead of vice versa.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2023-02-02 grasshopper.jpg

Grasshopper: Creme de menthe and creme de cacao with cream. Probably would look more like a grasshopper if I'd bought the leprechaun green artificially colored menthe, but I didn't. So I guess it's a brown grasshopper.

Tastes like a Girl Scouts Thin Mint cookie

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tastes like a Girl Scouts Thin Mint cookie
If ever there was a sentence that could convince me to displace my Tito's and Sprite, it is the above.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If ever there was a sentence that could convince me to displace my Tito's and Sprite, it is the above.
Of all of my cocktails, I probably downed this one the fastest, and was happy that I was out of cream, because I would have probably had 2-3 more.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, mint chocolate anything is my ultimate weakness.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, mint chocolate anything is my ultimate weakness.
I thought it was bacon and cheddar?
...though yeah, that doesn't sound like it would make the most appetizing cocktail.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I thought it was bacon and cheddar?
...though yeah, that doesn't sound like it would make the most appetizing cocktail.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Alien Brain Hemorrhage - Peach schnapps, Bailey's, blue curacao, grenadine. I put a touch too much schnapps, so I couldn't really splash the curacao and grenadine to churn up the Bailey's as much as I wanted.

2023-02-03 alien brain hemorrhage.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Slippery Grippli. Swampy frog monster- looking Bailey's and Midori floating atop butterscotch schnapps

2023-02-04 slippery grippli.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1675644268566.png

Magic Mirror: White rum, blue curacao, grenadine, luster dust

figmentPez

figmentPez

How much mana does that restore?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

How much mana does that restore?
My tests show that the potion seller is scamming, and it casts Feeblemind on the drinker instead.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1675811044831.png

Potion of Glibness: Lemonade, lime juice, cranberry juice, rum. This one was fruity but balanced, and I couldn't taste the rum at all.

Dirona

Dirona

View attachment 43805

Potion of Glibness: Lemonade, lime juice, cranberry juice, rum. This one was fruity but balanced, and I couldn't taste the rum at all.
Oooh, that would make me real glib, real fast.

blotsfan

blotsfan

View attachment 43783

So how do you get it to do that?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So how do you get it to do that?
stir it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

View attachment 43805

I feel like it needs a crushed Vivarin, or at least one taken with it, for full effect.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2023-02-08 turn undead.jpg

Turn Undead: Lemon juice, vodka, Kahlua. This looks and smells like some kind of cola-and-booze drink. But generic, like Dr. Thunder or Great Value Cola. But it had a lot more flavor than smell, and was tasty, if boozy.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Acid Arrow: Malibu rum, pineapple juice, Jägermeister floating on top

1675994297844.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A few of those D&D cocktails call for the light-up lights, so I finally broke down and got some.
Faerie Fire redux

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Red Mana: Fireball, Seagram's, Luxardo, grenadine
20230210 red mana.jpg

Shakey

Shakey

A few of those D&D cocktails call for the light-up lights, so I finally broke down and got some.
Faerie Fire redux

My kid loves using those in his bath. I ain’t gonna lie, if I took baths I’d fill it with those too.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

View attachment 43783

Oh that's fun lookin'

PatrThom

PatrThom

I ain’t gonna lie, if I took baths I’d fill it with those too.
fishingprice.jpg

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Got a new book for Valentine's Day.
First cocktail: Negroni-Nomicon--gin, vermouth, campari, triple sec, blue curacao. 5oz of liquors, no non-alcoholic ingredients. It made my nose a bit tingly ;)

1676500317974.png

1676500303261.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tonight's drink is a play on the El Presidente cocktail (the "Hell Residente")...with the addition of Fireball and Irish Whiskey, and blue curacao instead of triple sec. That makes it: Rum, vermouth, blue curacao, fireball, tullemore dew, grenadine. It's...different. Boozy. Tastes of cinnamon and orange with a hint of complexity. These flavors really shouldn't work together. But they kind of do.

Also, I'm noticing this book is a big fan of mixing blue curacao and grenadine to make a drink that's so purple as to be almost black.
1676593080718.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Whoops..forgot to post this one, which came between the two dark drinks...

1676662534258.png

Pallid Carcosa. Pineapple juice, coconut cream, spiced rum, peach schnapps (called for peach moonshine, but no thanks), sweet and sour. Blended with ice.

I'm definitely a fan of these kinds of fruity drinks.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's been a while.

1677204390404.png

H. Peach Lovedraft. Guinness, peach schnapps, rum. It's actually a whole lot better than I thought it would be. The peach goes well with the Guinness and cuts a lot of the bitterness of the stout. The beer and rum keep it from being too peachy.

Peach forward when it hits your tongue, but with a lingering stout finish. Not bad at all.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's Friday!
From the D&D book: Barbarian Rage.
1677288286332.png

Equal parts dark rum, white rum, Amaretto, Chambord, tequila, Midori, vodka, Malibu, gin, Blue Curacao. 8 oz Monster energy drink.

This is like a long island iced tea in that it doesn't taste boozy at all...but it's super fruity. And at 10 oz of liquor/liqueur. I'm about to be fucked up.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I can imagine it tastes okay, but ten different liquors mixed together like that? Ugh.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I can imagine it tastes okay, but ten different liquors mixed together like that? Ugh.
It was considerably better than I anticipated it would be.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1677648230108.png

Flavored Enemy
Vanilla vodka, orange juice, a splash of cranberry. I already like screwdrivers...the touch of vanilla flavor and the addition of a bit of cranberry kick are interesting and tasty additions

Shakey

Shakey

Feel up to a challenge?

Not to hijack your thread too much Tin, but I have to say that a hard Mountain Dew is actually improved by a shot of vodka. It’s still trash, but a little less so. I might have to try hard Baja Blast with some rum next.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Not to hijack your thread too much Tin, but I have to say that a hard Mountain Dew is actually improved by a shot of vodka. It’s still trash, but a little less so. I might have to try hard Baja Blast with some rum next.
Hijack all you like :) I'll look less like an alcoholic if I'm not the only one posting.

That said, if you want to use this space to try all the Mountain Dew drinks, feel free. I am really not supposed to have them due to the sugar, so I haven't been quick to give this particular matrix a try.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Guess my excitement has slowed down to "once a week" :D
Astral Diamond Juice. Gin, blue curacao, elderflower liqueur, champagne, silver luster dust.. I was afraid it was going to be very orange-y, but the smidge (like 1/4 oz) of elderflower really brought everything together.

2023-03-08 Astral Diamond Juice.gif

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tried two yesterday.

The first, Holy Water, was a mix of lime juice, tequila, and elderflower liqueur. It was hideous, and i tossed it out after my second sip confirmed it wasn't going to get better.

2023-03-10 holy water.jpg

The second, Necromancer, was a mix of gin, vermouth, lemon juice and cointreau with a "dash" of absinthe.
That absinthe made all the difference. It mellowed out the intense orange and juniper notes, adding a barely-detectible hint of anise. This drink was a lot more balanced and complex than the ingredients would suggest.
2023-03-11 necromancer.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

The first, Holy Water, was a mix of lime juice, tequila, and elderflower liqueur. It was hideous, and i tossed it out after my second sip confirmed it wasn't going to get better.
Have you considered instead the possibility that you may be at least partly demonic in origin?

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Have you considered instead the possibility that you may be at least partly demonic in origin?

--Patrick
The idea has been expressed to me more than once ;)

The irony wasn't lost on me that the 'good' drink tasted horrible to me and the 'evil' drink was delicious :D

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1678589544992.png

Sword and Chambord: vodka, raspberry liqueur, lime juice, ginger beer.

This one is super tasty!

PatrThom

PatrThom

It sounds tasty. Lime and ginger are classic together.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Half and Half Orc—creme de menthe, creme de cacao, half and half. Might have looked more to the drink designer's intentions had I gone for the green creme de menthe instead of the clear

1678829558367.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Been sick the last couple of days. The back of my throat feels like a slip-and-slide of mucus. It's gross. I figured an acidic, boozy drink might help. And it does!

The CosmicPolitan from the Lovecraft Cocktails book—grapefruit juice, chambord, vodka, cointreau, lime juice. Basically a cosmo but with grapefruit instead of cranberry. It's supposed to be *white* grapefruit, but I didn't have any, so the little drop of chambord sitting malevolently at the bottom of the glass isn't showing.

1679802596108.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I decided to give ChatGPT a try, and gave it a list of almost everything in my cocktail bar and told it to make me a drink.
Chocolate Raspberry Martini: Chocolate Liqueur, Cherry Liqueur, Vodka, Gin, Vermouth, Chambord. I thought the gin and vodka might clash with the sweets, but it ended up tasting very nice. I'd drink it again.

1679943696137.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You know, almost every hobby I do, people send me recipes/patterns/etc. I don't mind so much now that booze recipes are coming my way

Liquid Butterfinger: Equal parts vanilla vodka, butterscotch schnapps, Kahlua and Baileys.

Doesn't taste much like Butterfinger to me...which is 'peanut buttery' and not 'butterscotchy'. But it's super tasty.

20230329 Liquid Butterfinger.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1680653314868.png

Illithid Substance: Tullamore Dew, lemon juice, apple pucker, simple syrup, gold luster dust

drifter

drifter

This seemed like the best place to put this

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1681354803169.png

Scooby Snack: Midori, Malibu, pineapple juice, whipped cream.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1686696869492.png

troll slobber: lime sherbet, rum, 7up

blotsfan

blotsfan

Im making a guest appearance due to not having another great thread for it.

My wife is a pretty frequent drinker, so now that she has to stop for the next 9 months I got her this nonalcoholic tequila I found online. I also was curious and got myself a bottle of their rum since, you know, alcohol is generally bad for you.

I just made my first fake-rum & Dr Pepper cream soda zero, and it actually works really well as a rum substitute. It’s not so identical that I can’t tell the difference, but it’s close enough that it can scratch the itch. Idk if anyone would have a desire for this, but I’d recommend it if you have a need for it.

IMG_4463.jpeg

And my boring-looking drink:

IMG_4462.jpeg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Milk of Amnesia: creme de cacao, sambuca, heavy cream
2023-06-20 milk of amnesia.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Got a set of "Cocktail Cards" to learn more traditional drinks. 100 cards, 100 classic cocktails. I'm starting with the brandy drinks because I don't do much with the bottle of brandy I have.

First drink: The Sidecar (starting here, because the first two called for ingredients like heavy cream I didn't have on hand) Wow, it's boozy as hell. But if you like boozy drinks, it's pretty tasty.

20230708 Sidecar.jpg

Shakey

Shakey

All classic drinks will probably come off as boozy, so get ready for a ride if you’re not used to it. You can’t go wrong with 2 parts booze, 1 part sweet, 1 part sour.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

All classic drinks will probably come off as boozy, so get ready for a ride if you’re not used to it. You can’t go wrong with 2 parts booze, 1 part sweet, 1 part sour.
It probably didn't help that my recipe card called for 2 oz cognac instead of 1.5 as in most recipes I find online

Bubble181

Bubble181

Your card is closer to the original recipe, probably, though. Modern sensibilities etc.
Wines used to be less alcoholic on average, cocktails stronger.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Your card is closer to the original recipe, probably, though. Modern sensibilities etc.
Wines used to be less alcoholic on average, cocktails stronger.
That's about what I was figuring, too. It was boozy, but tasted 'right'

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Brandy Flip. Brandy, a raw egg, sugar, nutmeg for garnish. So, really, the primary 'mixer' for the brandy is...an egg.

I had no hopes at all for this one. But I really liked it. Kind of reminded me of egg nog's classier cousin.
I used powdered eggs for this. Everything I've read has said that powdered eggs are very close to same as what you'd get with a real egg, without the salmonella.

20230710 brandy flip.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Vieux Carré
Bourbon, rye whiskey, vermouth, Benedictine, 2 kinds of bitters, cherries. As with most 'classic' cocktails, this one is certainly boozy. The whiskey really stands out here.

20230714 vieux carre.jpg

Edit: I described it to a friend thusly: It tastes like I should be taking a business meeting in a $700 suit at an airport bar.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

What if you made a Disney Dole Whip clone, and added rum to it?
Damn fine drink, that's what.
1691037136545.png