Town Covers Up Gang Rape to Protect High School Football Season

GasBandit

Staff member
When someone is robbed, they are robbed, everyone acknowledges their goods were stolen. It's not like. "So... you left that computer in your room, right on a desk? You were kind of asking for it with that TV in the living room mounted right on the wall...."
Except they totally do. "Your neighbors saw you carrying in that 50 inch plasma, what did you think was going to happen? Do you know what part of town you live in?"
Blaming the victim isn't exclusive to rape. And I can guarantee you the Steubenville community would have tried to shield their players no matter what they had done. It just so happened to be rape. And yes, the fact that they're giving their athletes pointers on not getting caught instead of not doing bad things in the first place further indicates the unhealthy obsession/idolization of athletes/celebrities.

These inhuman scum and anyone that covered it up or watched and didn't report should be locked up for the rest of their ride on this planet. It sounds like a lot of kids, but I don't want them in my society.

I hate this story. I hope a meteor hits that town. I want some Biblical wraith jacking that place up. Sink hole to the Earth's core. Something.

Dave

Staff member
These inhuman scum and anyone that covered it up or watched and didn't report should be locked up for the rest of their ride on this planet. It sounds like a lot of kids, but I don't want them in my society.

I hate this story. I hope a meteor hits that town. I want some Biblical wraith jacking that place up. Sink hole to the Earth's core. Something.
If this happens I will start believing in God. I could get behind this.

You might want to clean up your post a bit. You're going from arguing against something Gas isn't claiming to being that guy who can't get past HS, ranting about jocks.

Heh, man, I feel like I missed an epic post.
Not really. I was just trying to agree that jocks do get differential treatment (in some places). I was also trying to give a rebuttal to Charlie's post, but it wasn't very well constructed. I'm not interested in debating this topic anyway. There's nothing to debate.

Is telling people how to decrease their chance of victimization really an act of promoting those crimes and giving those criminals an excuse for their behavior?
No, which is what I said in my post above. That's called common sense. However when all the focus is on telling women how to avoid rape but never on telling men to stop raping thats where the idea of "rape culture" comes in to play.

Here's a great example from the military: Until very, very recently the majority of their focus on stopping rape was training for women to avoid rape. Because 'guys are gonna be guys, just rapin' it up!' was basically the idea. Theres nothing wrong with telling someone how to avoid problems, but we as a society tend to put the majority of the problem on the woman, rather than on the rapist, which is pretty unique to that particular crime. It happens with other crimes but not as often.

Also, in regards to who does and doesn't condone rape: If someone says, "I don't condone rape, BUT I mean, just look at how that girl was dressed/flirted/drank, she was totally asking to be raped" then yes, you are condoning rape. Sorry.

Necronic

Staff member
Not really. I was just trying to agree that jocks do get differential treatment (in some places). I was also trying to give a rebuttal to Charlie's post, but it wasn't very well constructed. I'm not interested in debating this topic anyway. There's nothing to debate.
I don't think its fair to apply this to "jocks".

Let me tell you a story. There are three boys. One is the captain of the football team (which went to state). The second is the son of the mayor. And the third is an heir to a fortune who is a generous benefactor to the school. One day, all three of them comitted a crime together. A teacher believes that some of them did it, but isn't sure which one. Each of the boys and their parents/boosters makes pleas to the teacher about why the child wasn't responsible. Which ones walk away?

The point is that power resides where one thinks it resides.

Edit: ok yeah you did say "in some places", but I've been without Game of Thrones for too long.

Let me tell you a story. There are three boys. One is the captain of the football team (which went to state). The second is the son of the mayor. And the third is an heir to a fortune who is a generous benefactor to the school. One day, all three of them comitted a crime together. A teacher believes that some of them did it, but isn't sure which one. Each of the boys and their parents/boosters makes pleas to the teacher about why the child wasn't responsible. Which ones walk away?

Edit: ok yeah you did say "in some places", but I've been without Game of Thrones for too long.
I agree that I should not paint with such a broad brush, and it differs from sport-to-sport. The soccer and track folks don't get the same level of treatment as the big money football and basketball kids. And, I agree it's not just jocks. Despotism Nepotism is alive and well.

Last edited:

None of them are punished. That's how it currently works.

No, which is what I said in my post above. That's called common sense. However when all the focus is on telling women how to avoid rape but never on telling men to stop raping thats where the idea of "rape culture" comes in to play.

Here's a great example from the military: Until very, very recently the majority of their focus on stopping rape was training for women to avoid rape. Because 'guys are gonna be guys, just rapin' it up!' was basically the idea. Theres nothing wrong with telling someone how to avoid problems, but we as a society tend to put the majority of the problem on the woman, rather than on the rapist, which is pretty unique to that particular crime. It happens with other crimes but not as often.

Also, in regards to who does and doesn't condone rape: If someone says, "I don't condone rape, BUT I mean, just look at how that girl was dressed/flirted/drank, she was totally asking to be raped" then yes, you are condoning rape. Sorry.
Was trying to put my ideas together to respond when I saw this post. You put it far better than I could and with a picture perfect example.

figmentPez

Staff member
Good thing you didn't say Crock Pot, the NSA might have kicked in your door.

Hang on, somebody's at the door, BRB.
A crock pot isn't a pressure cooker. Here let me go look up some product comparisons so you can see why they'r

I have decided to go see the local sports team play. How about that team? GO LOCAL SPORTS TEAM!

at least the bastard will have to register as a sex offender. But his kidnapping, drugging and rape only got him a few months in jail is ridiculous.

Dave

Staff member
Given your obvious disagreement with the result, what do you think should have occurred to this young man for you to believe that justice was satisfied?
If you are convicted of a violent physical assault against another person, your punishment should be worse than someone who does drugs or drinks. Like, you know, be allowed to play on a school's football team. And what do *I* think would have happened that would make justice served? How about actual jail time that is more than the guy who broke the story and blew the whistle? This little fucker raped a girl multiple times and is out less than a year later? Bullshit.

Necronic

Staff member
If that team a shred of decency they would have thrown him off the team. Of course they also should have expelled him. That said he should still be in jail....

Steinman, that's disgusting. 16 year olds know damn well that rape is bad. Don't try to make some stupid point about society.

figmentPez

Staff member
A sixteen year old knows that stabbing or shooting is bad. Yet we treat them differently than a 26 year old who stabs or shoots someone else.
What happened here is not on par with a single knife stab or a gun shot. This was hours of violation. If a 16 year old tied someone up and cut and stabbed them many times over an entire evening, would you be arguing that they didn't understand what they were doing was wrong? Would you argue that someone who committed such torture could be ignorant of the amount of trauma that they were causing?