[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

If anyone has really old magic card collections and just wants to get rid of them for no money for some reason (I don't know, maybe you hate capitalism, join me in the revolution) I will totally take them off your hands

Woof, the shit Hasbro flexing more control over WotC is doing is getting really, really disgusting at this point.

"Subscribe before your friends do or you risk getting pwned!"
What is this, some engineered form of Yukora's Dilemma?

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Secret Lairs already aren’t worth it, so why not make it prohibitively more expensive for virtually no benefit whatsoever?

WotC sent out a survey. I filled it out to let them know there was no way I’d buy SLs under a membership plan.

So I've all but given up on Magic, but for a set that knocks it out of the park in 99% of it's presentation, from it's amazing looking lands to having the fucking Fist of the North Star artist do it's premier planeswalker but this. This. THIS SUCKS.

1640027460825.png

You know what the difference is? Red is twice as rare as green, green is twice as rare as blue is in like 1/99 packs and yellow is only available at LGSs.

THESE LOOK LIKE SHIT! The colours don't even work and the strange obfuscated rarity that makes the card look worse? Why?

figmentPez

Staff member
That looks like the 90's trope of neon cartoon overlays. Cue teen protagonist voice over, "You can't actually see the energy radiating off an Ogre Demon, but if you could, it would look like this..."

When I went through my collection and threw out all the old chaff, I purposefully didn't fill the bags very much. Those cards get very heavy, very quickly.

I'm a Necron boy. They're my 40K army and I even bought the shitty books around them. Big man Szarekh doesn't talk to anyone. ANYONE!

So, a friend gifted me an old photo printer from his place of work (old being a couple years). It's massive, it's prints beautiful looking proxies on what is currently a limitless supply of photo paper and the only downside is having to spend some time cutting them all out.

I have the ability to make any dream deck I've ever wanted to play with some friends who still have Magic and all I want to do is build janky theme decks like this devil/aristocrats deck no one would ever call CEDH level.

So, a friend gifted me an old photo printer from his place of work (old being a couple years). It's massive, it's prints beautiful looking proxies on what is currently a limitless supply of photo paper and the only downside is having to spend some time cutting them all out.

I have the ability to make any dream deck I've ever wanted to play with some friends who still have Magic and all I want to do is build janky theme decks like this devil/aristocrats deck no one would ever call CEDH level.

Proxies for jank are the most pure expression of EDH you can have.

I keep building Rakdos decks. Rakdos decks are my jam.

So you didn't ask for advice, but if I may make a suggestion, phyrexian arena is garbage. Early on in EDH it was a staple of black, but as power level increases and players get better at the format, it's just too damn slow. It has to stay on the board for three turns before you make a decent return on your investment, paying three mana to draw two cards and lose two life. You could just cast read the bones and get those cards right now, as well as getting to scry, or just play a necropotence and draw all the cards.

ths-101-read-the-bones.jpg

ima-98-necropotence.jpg

I understand both are TECHNICALLY better and I understand it's cool to hate on Arena right now but the amount of times after a devastating board wipe that good ole Arena sat there and allowed me to plug keep plugging away is enough that I hate losing it. Necropotence is an Archenemy mode card, the moment you play it, everyone is out for your blood.

No one's going to waste enchantment removal on Arena.

I really enjoyed my Zndrsplt/Okaun deck but I got a groan every time I pulled it out because of the time consuming nature of coin flips (I even had a Magic coin I got from an MTG adjacent jewelry crafter). Also, everyone was sick of the old Okaun + Chandra's Ignition Earth shattering kaboom combo.

I've been entertaining myself today by designing decks around Baldur's Gate characters. They're hard to make anything interesting out of because of how bland the set was but I ended up making an Abdel Adrian deck (the hero of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2) and holy shit has white been amped up to heaven since the last time I played Commander a lot. It's like turn 4 or 5 and I have swarms of nearly infinitely recurring tokens (like it takes two board wipes back to back to deal with it).

I test decks on Xmage, a jank af free to use program to test out decks before I actually build (print) them out to know I actually want to play it.

Untitled.png

I got a groan every time I pulled it out because of the time consuming nature of coin flips
I usually roll dice instead of flip actual coins, calling even or odd, but I also have a coin flipper app (that even calculates based on the number of krark's thumbs you have) for when I need to prove that yes, I actually can put ten thousand coin flips on the stack at once, let's do this

So I kind of brushed off this card when I first read it. It didn't seem particularly powerful or interesting to me at first glance.

1662569408065.png

Then someone mentioned how fucking broken it is, to the point that it's actually popping up in a Legacy deck and I thought, how bad could it be? I built a Commander deck around the ability and....holy shit. Holy shit.

It does shit like this on turn 6 pretty regularly and this is after two board wipes.

Untitled.png

They're all such tiny abilities on their own, but you stack them together and that card is completely outrageous.

Someone rightly pointed out that he could make Boo only once and he would still be playable. His mana cost was upped to 5 on Arena, still playable.

The only thing that keeps him out of most formats is he was a Commander deck card so Legacy/Arena only formats are the only places he can haunt.

So my mom tells me she thinks I'm a little autistic the other day despite my psychiatrist telling me different.

Anyways, I spent 6 straight hours tonight hyper focused making and testing different decks based around:

1662894305646.png