[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

I didn't actually, but I did include some larger doubling abilities. This deck is a ton of fun.

It SHOULD have a Sunforger in it, but I honestly loath tutors (outside of ramp) in Commander and would rather my deck present itself chaotically to me.

Last edited:
So since I've taken to printing proxies, this is my Edgar Markov and I'll fight you if you try to stand in my way.

Vlad Dracula Tepes.png

So all those 40K decks got spoiled and other than the Necron deck, all look spectacularly fun to play with. The Necron deck is undoubtedly powerful but looks boring as sin to play. Every single card is just put something into or out of a graveyard for value.

You can just look at the face Commander's for each deck to see how fucking much of a let down Necrons are.

1663352040756.png

1663352054275.png

1663352077548.png

1663352156757.png

I thought at first that had something to do with Tzimesce but looked that up and found I was wrong, I need this reference explained to me!
I think it's because in Romanian it's spelled Vlad Țepeș but since those letters don't exist in English certainly he couldn't be that pendantic, out here on the internet :p

So, what card would you cut from this? I've played this deck a half dozen times now in person and I can't decide what to cut.

I'll add that I've had zero mana issues and only ran out of steam once while playing it those times so I feel the card draw and ramp are in a good place.

I know it should be one of the random vampires but every one is a special baby that does something for the deck and I can't decide which one is the least.
I'm leaning towards the 4 mana lord.

So, what card would you cut from this? I've played this deck a half dozen times now in person and I can't decide what to cut.

I'll add that I've had zero mana issues and only ran out of steam once while playing it those times so I feel the card draw and ramp are in a good place.

I know it should be one of the random vampires but every one is a special baby that does something for the deck and I can't decide which one is the least.
I'm leaning towards the 4 mana lord.
You could pretty safely cut a land or two. I personally don't like the cycling lands unless you have discard synergy, but that's just personal preference. Star compass is probably the weakest of your artifact ramp if you wanted to cut that. Other than that, yeah, some vampires would be the obvious cuts but then you don't play Anje to not play vampires, right?

I mean, the deck makes blood tokens by the dozens, so yeah, probably could do without the cyclers and just have them be more basics.

I THOUGHT about adding Smokestack just because I've had upwards of a dozen blood tokens at once that didn't get used before the game was over, but I don't think I'm ready to introduce that can of worms style of gameplay into my game group.

I mean, the deck makes blood tokens by the dozens, so yeah, probably could do without the cyclers and just have them be more basics.

I THOUGHT about adding Smokestack just because I've had upwards of a dozen blood tokens at once that didn't get used before the game was over, but I don't think I'm ready to introduce that can of worms style of gameplay into my game group.
So I'm the kind of monster that plays mostly stax, and I love smokestack, but it never makes it into even my evilest of stax decks because in EDH it's usually just too slow. Also it makes salt flow and makes you the number one target even though it's very slow and won't really make much impact for quite a few turns, people just hate it.

Now, if you wanna toss in a contamination...

I literally had to look up why the Innistrad Double Feature versions of cards were more expensive and finding out the packs were 10 bucks (US) each made me gag, they're so ugly. Intensely ugly cards.

Yes I'm LTTP, I haven't been attention to Magic through the pandini.

Also, Unfinity might be the least I've cared about a Magic product, just too many words on each card that I don't care about.

I think it's because in Romanian it's spelled Vlad Țepeș but since those letters don't exist in English certainly he couldn't be that pendantic, out here on the internet :p
Oh man, if only there was some way to actually try to keep it closer to the actual phonetics of the word...

Also, it's not even a name, it's a title, so it's akin to me calling William the Conqueror Viliam Concueror... (except that we actually have q, w and y in our alphabet specifically for foreign words / neologisms - thanks communism?... oh, and i guess k too, since it's basically only used to kilogram and some poets name).

Țeapă = Spike / Stake

So if you're not going to actually bother to try getting phonetically close, you could just translate it as Spiker / Staker (or, you know, Impaler, as it's traditionally done).

But i guess wanting you to at least try to pronounce a culture's names right is pedantry for some reason? Just because an anglo-saxon derived culture hasn't enslaved my ancestor doesn't mean it ok to call me Toby, you know.

Reread that and tell me it isn't pedantry over a fucking Magic card with the world's most famous vampire on it.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I mean it legitimately. I am very ignorant of Romanian culture, language etc beyond what I read in a very boring hundred and twenty year old book written entirely in letters.

Last edited:
I feel like arguing over whether something is or is not pedantry could unlock a whole new level of meta for Halforums.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Reread that and tell me it isn't pedantry over a fucking Magic card with the world's most famous vampire on it.
If it just said Dracula, sure. But it's not, is it (the novel just mentions that he might be an infamous voievode, but Tzepesh ruled Wallachia, not Transylvania).

And you said you wanted it explained to you... which i just did.

Why are you mad, esp. when my response was to Ravenpoe, and i just used your mention of a word that had an english equivalent of the Ț sound (based on nothing but the letter... so clearly an english speaker can recognize the sound) as emphasis. Since, you know, he was the one saying it doesn't matter, while you clearly just didn't know.

Is it really that insulting to you when someone tells you you're using their cultural heroes' names wrong?

EDIT: Hell, is it pedantry if you ever correct someone's pronunciation of your name?

Also, just to add in this incredibly dumb and pointless internet argument, if I were to make the same proxy card I'd probably use Frank's spelling, because I'm referring to a fictional character from pop culture, not the actual historical figure. The actual historical figure wasn't actually a vampire, how lame is that?

a fictional character from pop culture, not the actual historical figure.
Except that just shows you haven't read the novel, since he's never called that, and the association is only made because of what the historical figure was said to have done (drink blood).

Plus, being a fictional character still isn't an excuse to not care about the cultural origins of them, and try to do better.

Trying to pronounce things right isn't even that hard, even though most native english speakers still seem to think others should still accommodate them while not returning the favour, because that's apparently pedantic.

Hell, i didn't even ask him to spell it differently first, which is why i didn't mention the ș, or actually said anything else about it, and would have just explained that it sounds hella weird to hear Vlad and Dracula said close enough, while Tepes sounds nothing like Țepeș. But then you went and reminded me how dismissive you guys are about that sort of thing.

Well I'm gonna call you Toby now
That's fine, as long as you apply that equally... you ever seen Die Hard 3 ?

Then again maybe it's just me, since we have letters only used for foreign words, and i should just do like the french and just translate everything, and call you CorbeauPoe...

Except that just shows you haven't read the novel, since he's never called that, and the association is only made because of what the historical figure was said to have done (drink blood).
I have, actually, it's one of my favorite books despite how slow it is, and even though I know the twist (he's supernatural) I still think the slow buildup is amazingly well done and the creeping anxiety of it all is a masterpiece.

But I'm also not talking about the book. You might notice I said pop-culture character, not literary character. Dracula is a character that exists in the collective consciousness and has had many, many iterations, all of which veer drastically from the historical figure to which he resembles less and less. Or do you regularly send angry letters to Konami over the inaccuracies of Castlevania (which, by the way, is one of the most common sources of the name Dracula Tepes)?

I mean, you should send angry letters to Konami, but you know, for other reasons.

And to add extra evidence to the thing we all already know, more examples of Dracula the not-historical but also not-literary character include the actual Dracula character that appears in MTG (albeit as alternate art)

1664147691637.png

1664147725672.png

1664147762352.png

These are all official MTG cards.

And just as a last thing, yeah CorbeauPoe sounds cool, go for it.

I used the alt-art from that collection for Exquisite Blood for my Edgar.

(God they picked shitty vampires to make into Draculas too....)

I have, actually, it's one of my favorite books despite how slow it is, and even though I know the twist (he's supernatural) I still think the slow buildup is amazingly well done and the creeping anxiety of it all is a masterpiece.

But I'm also not talking about the book. You might notice I said pop-culture character, not literary character. Dracula is a character that exists in the collective consciousness and has had many, many iterations, all of which veer drastically from the historical figure to which he resembles less and less. Or do you regularly send angry letters to Konami over the inaccuracies of Castlevania (which, by the way, is one of the most common sources of the name Dracula Tepes)?

I mean, you should send angry letters to Konami, but you know, for other reasons.

And to add extra evidence to the thing we all already know, more examples of Dracula the not-historical but also not-literary character include the actual Dracula character that appears in MTG (albeit as alternate art)

View attachment 42617

View attachment 42618

View attachment 42619

These are all official MTG cards.

And just as a last thing, yeah CorbeauPoe sounds cool, go for it.
Dude, like i said, Dracula sounds fine, and all those are just Dracula.

As for Castlevania... ドラキュラ・ヴラド・ツェペシュ, Dorakyura Vurado Tsepeshu the Japanese actually try... while not actually having a different sound for L and R.

And yeah, the english dub of the neflix show was fucking ear-bleedingly annoying when they said Tepes... hell, come to think of it, i likely wouldn't have said anything about his card if i hadn't experience that.

Why would they be legendary, he wouldn't even qualify as a Methuselah for another 4-5 centuries...
In magic a "legendary permanent" is a named, specific creature, person, place or thing, something that there is only one of. So there are millions of different goblins but there's only one Krenko, Mob Boss for example.

1664219042712.png

In amazing coincidences:

I guess it isn't that much of a coincidence, the movie (Bram Stoker's Dracula by Coppola) is being rereleased in theaters for Halloween. It was just coincidence I decided to make a Dracula/Edgar proxy.

Last edited:
I was watching a retrospective on Fallout 2 and BAM the sudden reminder that the parody name of Magic in that game was Tragic the Garnering hit me like a brick to the head. I had completely forgotten, though I've seen this thread a million times.

I mean, I left Magic when they started coming out with sets/boosters faster than I could keep up even when they were just selling for $3/pack. But $250/pack? Pfft. NO.

--Patrick
These aren't technically reprints of reserve list cards as they have a non-standard magic back and therefore aren't tournament legal. So worse, it's not a grand for a bunch of random magic cards, it's a grand for a bunch of random magic PROXIES.

Meanwhile, I can point you to some places that will print incredible, near impossible to distinguish from the real thing proxies for about $1.50 a card.