[Brazelton] Twitter

It's also still the only social media since the Tumblr purge that allows adult material to be shared and promoted, so if you are a adult content creator you stay on Twitter or hope you don't fade away when all the other sites like Instagram or Threads kick you off. Bluesky might help this, but it's still locked behind early access limits, so the audience isn't there yet.

I wish I could leave, but Twitter is the only thing that helps offset any crowdfunding bleed right now.
The small, community focused aspect of Bluesky is really what makes it work right now. It's not like Twitter where you can just keep making burner accounts to harass people because the limited invites keep the trash from misbehaving too badly. It enforces some civility that way... you act like a chud, then you get blocked and that means you can't see their content AND they can't see you screaming into the darkness unless someone is willing to throw you their valuable limited invites to enable it. Still, the people running it were questioning the strength of this block feature: because it reduces engagement and that's the metric they care about. The entire community basically went "No, we just don't want to engage with chuds at all, thank you". I would 100% prefer a smaller community if it means people feel safer on the platform.

As for Twitter... I think it's really just a matter of time until it collapses under the weight of Elon's ego. It's not making money and it's infrastructure is collapsing under the weight of his demands and job cuts. There WILL come a point where it's just too much trouble to use it and that point for me was when Tweetdeck became a paid feature. There isn't much point in me staying: all the creators I follow are on Bluesky.

I'm interested in Bluesky just to see what all the fuss is about. But I never really gave 2 shits about twitter, and never used it for any kind of social platform. I tend to despise when people post (on fb, reddit, etc) twitter links that themselves just contain links to actual news articles. Skip the middleman and just post the link to the news article! I don't need twitter standing in the middle of that transaction, and I don't care what other assholes on the internet are saying *about* that news article.

So, while I'm interested in Bluesky from a curiosity's perspective, I wouldn't want to burn a limited resource by getting an invite, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it for much.

figmentPez

Staff member
Twitter Removes United Auto Workers Union’s Verification Badge Amidst Strike

"Twitter recently faced backlash after removing the verification badge from the United Auto Workers’ (UAW) official account without any prior notice. This move came shortly after the union went on strike against Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis. The UAW had paid for verification but found their badge missing. When questioned, Twitter responded with a generic message stating that they were currently busy. "

Musk turned to his security guard and asked to borrow his pocket knife. Using it, he was able to lift one of the air vents in the floor, which allowed him to pry open the floor panels. He then crawled under the server floor himself, used the knife to jimmy open an electrical cabinet, pulled the server plugs, and waited to see what happened. Nothing exploded. The server was ready to be moved. “Well that doesn’t seem super hard,” he said
--Patrick

So news came out yesterday that Elon is considering making all of his shitty site pay-to-use to "control bots." Obviously people didn't think that was a good idea so offers of bluesky invites on the platform increased. Then there were reports that people offering invite codes were getting their accounts locked.

IMG_1769.jpeg
IMG_1770.jpeg

"a toxic hellscape people and advertisers should avoid" but they still have a Twitter integration on their own website.
Do as you say, and all that jazz.

Amid a sea of viral footage coming out of the conflict between Israel and Hamas, misleading and recycled videos are circulating on X, formerly known as Twitter, getting hundreds of thousands of views.

The old videos, which are being passed off as from the last day, are largely being posted by verified, conservative social media personalities, many of whom have previously posted about earning ad dollars from X's monetization program.

Yes, thank goodness it's not a problem any more, and, let's see...even if we give him the absolute maximum benefit of the doubt and say that slavery was COMPLETELY eliminated everywhere on Earth simultaneously at 12:01am on January 1st, 1901 (the very beginning of the last century), AND that H. sapiens (i.e., "humans") existence has only been for ~200,000 years (even though recent discoveries are pushing that back as far as 315,000 years), then that means that slavery has "not been a problem any more" for uh ... <mashes calculator furiously> ... 0.06% of humanity's existence.

--Patrick

I don't think he's saying that slavery isn't a problem any more, instead I interpreted it as him saying slavery wasn't a big deal ever. It's like, "Yeah humans have been enslaving each other for pretty much all of our existence, so we should consider it the norm."

The story of Elon Musk is going to be an interesting one in history books. The dude was basically handed the title of visionary genius all the while his own companies had to have squads of people whose entire job was to steer Elon away from involving himself in operations because of how bad his ideas were.

Twitter was our first full look into him uncaged by his handlers at SpaceX and Tesla and he keeps showing him self to not only be a chud with the temperament of a 15 year old, but an idiot too.

For the best look at what a man child he is, just look at how his last four Tesla models spell out the word SEXY, but with the E replaced by 3 because l33t speak is so cool bro.

The story of Elon Musk is going to be an interesting one in history books. The dude was basically handed the title of visionary genius all the while his own companies had to have squads of people whose entire job was to steer Elon away from involving himself in operations because of how bad his ideas were.

Twitter was our first full look into him uncaged by his handlers at SpaceX and Tesla and he keeps showing him self to not only be a chud with the temperament of a 15 year old, but an idiot too.

For the best look at what a man child he is, just look at how his last four Tesla models spell out the word SEXY, but with the E replaced by 3 because l33t speak is so cool bro.
The 3 isn't because of l33t speak but because Model E was already taken by Ford.

Dave

Staff member
Sorry to tell you but any site that posts facts like Wikipedia, Snopes, Politifact, etc. are all left wing sites and full of lies and made up bullshit. I know this because that's what the guys at work tell me, completely ignorant of the irony.

I REALLY want Wikipedia to call him out on this. He didn't offer to buy it; just donate $1 billion. He didn't even say permanently.

They could change the name, demand the money, and change it right back.

God, I hope they do it. I want to see him lose more billions for opening his big fat mouth.

God, I hope they do it. I want to see him lose more billions for opening his big fat mouth.
Unfortunately Twitter posts are not a legally binding contract. He already once offered the UN to write up a plan to end world hunger and he would donate the money needed, so they did, and he ghosted them. When people start giving him shit about it his excuse was that the solution wasn't "permanent", like somehow just throwing a couple billion dollars at something will make it go away forever.

He was even going to back out of the Twitter deal, but he made too many direct verbal and written agreements with the Twitter board of directors that he was forced to follow through by a judge. As stupid as he is, he isn't likely to make the same mistake again by actually engaging directly with Wikipedia on some kind of deal.

Last edited: