[Brazelton] Twitter

I really hope that the first thing that happens is a couple thousand people create verified Elon Musk accounts and troll the shit out of him.

I kinda wonder if he’s floating obviously horrible ideas so he can walk them back, get praised, and do nefarious stuff without as much attention. Like, I don’t think highly of his intelligence but I never thought he was this dumb.

"we're looking at trying to take bits from Only Fans, Patreon, and whatever other platform we can think of to try and get money"

Has he explained his rationale for how blue check marks will defeat the bots and trolls yet?
I’m guessing he assumes that everyone will pay for blue check marks, so you’ll know it’s a bot if they don’t have one, since no one will pay just to troll someone. And, of course, everyone has enough disposable income for yet another subscription…

I’m guessing he assumes that everyone will pay for blue check marks, so you’ll know it’s a bot if they don’t have one, since no one will pay just to troll someone. And, of course, everyone has enough disposable income for yet another subscription…
Ah yes, those overseas-based troll farms bankrolled by national governments are totally too poor to pay for blue-checkmarked trolling accounts...

Does NO ONE remember Something Awful, where folks were more than willing to burn a Hamilton just to fuck with people?

Nah. I'll stay with Twitter long enough to find out where all my favs move and then it's nothing but me watching the trash fire burn.

What the hell happened to Musk. It's like he went off the damn deep end in the last 10 years.
There's quite a bit of research by now that at a certain point being too wealthy and powerful is actively harmful to mental health; there's pretty much no peers left and your relation to others deteriorate. The Citizen Kane effect, if you will.
Who can Musk consider equals? Zuckerberg? Bezos? That's pretty much it. There's quite a few wannabes (*cough*Trump*cough*, Ye, Bloomberg) but really... That's it. Oh, sure, there's some Vanderbilts and Kochs and Saudi princes and whatever, but they're a different kind of rich and powerful.
If Musk was US born he'd probably be eyeing the presidency just for kicks, but that's out of reach.

If he needs an example of how having a paid barrier of entry does absolutely nothing to stop trolls and cheats, all he needs to do is look at any not free to play competitive game that actively perma bans people caught cheating, cause all those people do is buy another account once the one they're using is banned.

I think it was always there, but a big cult following really blew up his ego that he could do no wrong.
I think it was people slowly coming around to the fact that he's full of shit. He'd been saying for so long that self driving cars were 1-2 years away, spaceX would be going to mars soon while the rockets were still blowing up, giving Puerto Rico power batteries that didn't end up working and then finally the cave submarine incident. After that he really just seemed to lean into the idea that there's no such thing as bad press.

It's like when that scuba diver called him out on a grandstanding with a categorically bad idea he just could not handle the idea of not being irl tony stark like he'd spent so much time and money cultivating

He could end would hunger, -or- he could use even more of his money to make people stop making fun of him on the internet...

It was a tough call
And remember after he asked Twitter if he should pay taxes he ended up paying like .5% of his net worth in taxes for probably the first and only time

Is this serious? Because if it is serious, it sounds serious.
I mean, this just sounds like Musk has a pathological hatred of whatever he deems "laziness."

--Patrick
Uh huh. And I’m sure he’s putting in 84 hour work weeks at Twitter during this time as well.

Uh huh. And I’m sure he’s putting in 84 hour work weeks at Twitter during this time as well.
In addition to his 84 hour work weeks at SpaceX and his 84 hour work weeks at Tesla? Of course. And in his downtime he's a full time ambassador and political analyst.

I was told that basically a lot of the current employees have stock options, and while normally the stock option is the right to buy stock at a discount, because Twitter is no longer a publicly traded company, for every share of stock the employee was allowed to buy, they now just get a bonus of 54.20 (the epic weed number Elon valued twitter at). This basically multiplied the amount twitter has to spend on stock options by up to 10x. That’s the real reason Elon wants to get rid of everyone, because suddenly a bonus valued at 5k is now $50k.