Video Game News and Miscellany

They haven't mentioned price point yet, but I've heard rumors the disc based one will have backwards capability beyond the PS4. If that turns out to be true, then I'll probably pay the premium price for it.
We still don't own any kind of Blu-ray player, so this could indeed be what finally makes the decision for us.

--Patrick

They haven't mentioned price point yet, but I've heard rumors the disc based one will have backwards capability beyond the PS4. If that turns out to be true, then I'll probably pay the premium price for it.
I'm guessing even with the bulbous area removed from the digital only version that it will have a second or larger hard drive than the disc version so expected it would be more based on that alone.

Yeah, this is disappointing. But as long as it's not full price, it might still be worth getting.

It reminds me of something like Saints Row: Gat of Hell or perhaps a better comparison is Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. Essentially the same game, but with a different character and some new content.

I may still pre-order the PS5, but it depends on:

1) How reverse compatible is it? For physical copies, I only own Spider-Man and Horizon. I also own some digital games that Sony gave for free like the Uncharted Collection and Journey. After being unable to carry over my digital purchases from PS3 to PS4, I've become hesitant to buy anything digital on console.
2) The launch titles. If Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a launch title and reasonably priced for a glorified expansion ($20-30), then I might get it. Doubly so for the new Ratchet & Clank.
3) If it can play 4K discs. Not as big a dealbreaker, but this would be nice.

Really, the transition from PS4 to PS5 wouldn't be that huge for me this time around, so pre-ordering it might be an option for me.

Fuckin' leave it up to folks like Jeff Canata to be the most hyperbolic about their excitement at being miserable. The pretension is so thick, it's literally oozing directly out of those tweets and forming a thick milky crust that requires industrial solvents to remove.

The Last of Us 2: The Dark Souls of Citizen Kanes. Roger Ebert was right as fuck.

Fuckin' leave it up to folks like Jeff Canata to be the most hyperbolic about their excitement at being miserable. The pretension is so thick, it's literally oozing directly out of those tweets and forming a thick milky crust that requires industrial solvents to remove.

The Last of Us 2: The Dark Souls of Citizen Kanes. Roger Ebert was right as fuck.

I've seen a bunch of negative reviews stating the fundamental problem with The Last of Us 2 is that it continually wants to punish you or at least make you question the violence you use against people and animals, but refuses to let you interact with the world in a way beyond the violence the game forces you to use. It's like being scolded for eating cookies from the cookie jar when all you have in the house are those cookies (and your mom did this on purpose). It's off putting, tired, and SO very 2013... and the game absolutely acknowledges how dated this is.

There is literally a point where some people are playing Hotline Miami to drive the point home.

I genuinely don't see how this story is on anyone's radar.

Are you having a hard time trying to track down all the E3 stuff since E3 wasn't really an E3 this year?

https://2020.e3recap.com/

You can also substitute 2019 or 2018, etc. if you want to see the stuff from past years.

--Patrick

Cyberpunk being pushed back to November.
I fully support devs delaying games to fix bugs and balance things.

Except for Bethesda, because they're never going to fix all the bugs no matter how much they delay it. Just release the damn thing and let the modders fix it for you.

So, quite a few allegations have come out about Chris Avellone. Super disappointing. He's a very talented writer but apparently just a huuuuuge piece of shit. Basing on how he acted after being ousted from Obsidian, massively unprofessional too. Should have known that when the only place he's ever active online is fucking RPG Codex, the online forum that makes Stormfront seem like kind tolerant folks.

So, quite a few allegations have come out about Chris Avellone. Super disappointing. He's a very talented writer but apparently just a huuuuuge piece of shit. Basing on how he acted after being ousted from Obsidian, massively unprofessional too. Should have known that when the only place he's ever active online is fucking RPG Codex, the online forum that makes Stormfront seem like kind tolerant folks.
What's this now?

(one Google search later)

Oh for crap's sake, Chris.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL That the reason more controllers don't have rear buttons/paddles is because Ironburg (Scuf) sued Valve over the paddles on the Steam Controller.

And, once again, stupid patent nonsense holds back the entire gaming industry. So we've missed out on common adoption of: mini-games during loading screens, dual-stage triggers, and back paddles because of patent disputes over things that should not be patentable. Anything else that should go on the list of patents that made gaming worse?

Dave

Staff member
Remember when Microsoft started Mixer? The streaming service that would rival Twitch? They paid BIG money to Shroud, Ninja, and a few others to move over to their platform. Well, that didn't last long.

Microsoft is moving all of their streaming to Facebook Games and shutting down Mixer. All the contract streamers are able to go where they want. Most will probably go back to Twitch.

Remember when Microsoft started Mixer? The streaming service that would rival Twitch? They paid BIG money to Shroud, Ninja, and a few others to move over to their platform. Well, that didn't last long.

Microsoft is moving all of their streaming to Facebook Games and shutting down Mixer. All the contract streamers are able to go where they want. Most will probably go back to Twitch.

This is the absolutely very first time I've ever heard of Mixer. I think that might be related to why it's failing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, I heard they hired Ninja. And Dei tried to do Jackbox night on Mixer one time before we found Discord was just better... and I know the PA guys did their streams there a few times... but that was about it.

You're not going to dislodge Twitch - and by Twitch, I mean *Amazon*, without considerable willingness to just hemorrhage expenditure until you've cracked their marketshare, sort of like how Epic is doing with Steam. They took all their fortnite money and poured it down the drain (by which I mean gave guarantees of revenue to every developer they could sink their talons into in exchange for timed exclusives), and I begrudgingly admit they've made headway.

But Amazon is several orders of magnitude bigger than Valve. It'd be like trying to make your own Youtube, with blackjack and hookers! Speaking of, really, I'm impressed that Vimeo is still in the game. But they've never been a serious contender or threat to Google's stranglehold on the user-made-content-hosting market - again, the closest competition is Twitch, which isn't even really in the same vertical.

I guess microsoft decided they weren't ready to throw away THAT much money, much like when Google dabbled briefly in, and then ran away screaming from, the broadcast radio industry.

But Amazon is several orders of magnitude bigger than Valve. It'd be like trying to make your own Youtube, with blackjack and hookers! Speaking of, really, I'm impressed that Vimeo is still in the game. But they've never been a serious contender or threat to Google's stranglehold on the user-made-content-hosting market - again, the closest competition is Twitch, which isn't even really in the same vertical.
Vimeo found it's niche early: hosting indie and/or prestige movie content that might trip Youtube's algorithms, for public purchase and viewership. Vimeo does actual curation of their platform, so they know if a work is suitable for it. They also keep things small so they don't have the enormous bloated costs of Youtube to deal with. So yes... they aren't a competitor to Youtube because they actually, actively, avoided becoming Youtube and that seems like a winning move for them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Vimeo found it's niche early: hosting indie and/or prestige movie content that might trip Youtube's algorithms, for public purchase and viewership. Vimeo does actual curation of their platform, so they know if a work is suitable for it. They also keep things small so they don't have the enormous bloated costs of Youtube to deal with. So yes... they aren't a competitor to Youtube because they actually, actively, avoided becoming Youtube and that seems like a winning move for them.
There's definitely something to be said for finding your niche and sticking to it.

There's definitely something to be said for finding your niche and sticking to it.
Yes. One flavor of Mountain Dew was plenty! But no, they had to throw it and a case of PAAS egg-coloring kits up against the wall to see what would stick, and the only good thing to come of it was Baja Blast.

--Patrick

Yes. One flavor of Mountain Dew was plenty! But no, they had to throw it and a case of PAAS egg-coloring kits up against the wall to see what would stick, and the only good thing to come of it was Baja Blast.

--Patrick
Duh, Pepsi. The folks behind this old gem...

--Patrick
You were getting to some blasphemous territory but saved yourself at the end.