Video Game News and Miscellany

You don't "have" to on iOS, either. But it is definitely a lot more work to do that on iOS than it is on Android.

--Patrick
Installing apks from another source than the Google App Store is allowed (huawei and many other manufacturers have their own store in place). It's against the TOS on Apple products.

The amount of people who think Epic is suing Apple for the sake of the little guy is fucking hilarious.
Who cares STOKE APPLE HATE FOR $$$.
They had a lawsuit and a lengthy CGI video waiting in the wings for Apple, almost as if they knew what would happen.
The Google lawsuit took longer, and still no CGI video for Google. Makes me feel like they thought Google would cave.

--Patrick

Who cares STOKE APPLE HATE FOR $$$.
They had a lawsuit and a lengthy CGI video waiting in the wings for Apple, almost as if they knew what would happen.
The Google lawsuit took longer, and still no CGI video for Google. Makes me feel like they thought Google would cave.

--Patrick
I am perfectly fine with hating both

figmentPez

Staff member
WB Games is starting a marketing campaign around "r3dakt3d", a series of cryptic messages and briefly flashing images. Spoiler, the symbol is most likely for the Court of Owls, so this is about the next Batman game.

figmentPez

Staff member
RIP to having your donation message read out loud (or possibly even displayed), though.
They can just change their TOS when it comes to what's allowed in donation messages. Twitch won't let a revenue stream dry up that easily. Twitch will almost certainly find some solution that appeases streamers enough to allow them to still charge for messages.

Smart. I mean, getting an add to 50k viewers or however many a specific steamer has, for $5? That's efficient.
Though, yeah, they'll have to check product placement legal crap - it's not necessarily legal to use just any means to advertise... But I think it'll fly in most countries.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm pretty sure this game is going to make my computer cry. I might even have to wait until I can get a new computer to play it. ARGH, it looks so damn good. I'm glad they're breaking out of it being another Arkham game.

EDIT: Pre-alpha gameplay with developer commentary

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this game is going to make my computer cry. I might even have to wait until I can get a new computer to play it. ARGH, it looks so damn good. I'm glad they're breaking out of it being another Arkham game.

While this looks really cool, I am skeptical due to the developer and publisher. Don't forget to pre-order to unlock bat-mite, and for just $9.99 you can get an xp booster so that you'll stop falling behind in the missions, and don't forget our full cosmetic shop

Damn that looks good.

Also, I will bet all the money I have in my pocket right now that this is one of Bats's plans, and he's not really gone.

Also I'm not wearing anything with pockets at the moment.

While this looks really cool, I am skeptical due to the developer and publisher. Don't forget to pre-order to unlock bat-mite, and for just $9.99 you can get an xp booster so that you'll stop falling behind in the missions, and don't forget our full cosmetic shop
Yeah, the combination of WB Montreal's not-so-spectacular track record, the forced co-op, and turning it into an action RPG with loot upgrades are all big red flags for me.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, the combination of WB Montreal's not-so-spectacular track record, the forced co-op, and turning it into an action RPG with loot upgrades are all big red flags for me.
Forced co-op? But the commentary on the pre-alpha gameplay said the entire game would have the choice of single player or co-op.

That trailer is hilarious, though!
It is. But it's also 1) a cinematic trailer for a game, which is something I wish would just die entirely. 2) an online co-op game, of which I have no interest in. 3) Yet another focus on bad guys. 4) Not a new solo Superman game, which is all I want.

figmentPez

Staff member
Poor choice of words, sorry. Moreso that I can't think of a single game where optional co-op games wind up being anything good.
Borderlands 1 - 3, Saints Row 2 - 4, Trine 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, Titan Quest, Diablo 3, Dead Island, X-Men Legends 1 & 2, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, assorted Halo games, Cuphead, Far Cry 5, and all the LEGO games.

GasBandit

Staff member
Borderlands 1 - 3, Saints Row 2 - 4, Trine 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, Titan Quest, Diablo 3, Dead Island, X-Men Legends 1 & 2, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, assorted Halo games, Cuphead, Far Cry 5, and all the LEGO games.
One has to remember that we're talking opinions here, and Nick found he didn't like Left 4 Dead, so I think such games are just not his cup of tea.

Speaking from experience, Borderlands isn't fun playing solo. I tried it. I was bored out of my skull. Examples like Saints Row isn't the same as what's presented here.

And a lot of those games don't have an NPC following along with you for the story. And not all the same genre. For this particular genre, it feels more reminiscent of Resident Evil 5 & 6 or...was it Dead Space 3, I think?

EDIT: Basically, a game like Saints Row 4 is a single player game with a co-op element kind of added to it, but it's not necessary. This feels more like a game that would not be enjoyable solo.

figmentPez

Staff member
One has to remember that we're talking opinions here, and Nick found he didn't like Left 4 Dead, so I think such games are just not his cup of tea.
Hey, Arkham City already proved that team battles are a hell of a lot of fun. They were my favorite part of City. I'm not sure what Nick thinks is going to be a problem with co-op in Gotham Knights.

figmentPez

Staff member
Speaking from experience, Borderlands isn't fun playing solo. I tried it. I was bored out of my skull. Examples like Saints Row isn't the same as what's presented here.

And a lot of those games don't have an NPC following along with you for the story. And not all the same genre. For this particular genre, it feels more reminiscent of Resident Evil 5 & 6 or...was it Dead Space 3, I think?

EDIT: Basically, a game like Saints Row 4 is a single player game with a co-op element kind of added to it, but it's not necessary. This feels more like a game that would not be enjoyable solo.
How the hell would you know that Gotham Knights is something that wouldn't be enjoyed solo? Arkham City had sequences with an AI partner, and they didn't break the single-player game.

I've only ever played Borderlands single player. Your dislike of it has nothing to do with the fact that it has optional co-op.

I cited a wide variety of genres to show that optional co-op doesn't have to break games.

How the hell would you know that Gotham Knights is something that wouldn't be enjoyed solo? Arkham City had sequences with an AI partner, and they didn't break the single-player game.

I've only ever played Borderlands single player. Your dislike of it has nothing to do with the fact that it has optional co-op.

I cited a wide variety of genres to show that optional co-op doesn't have to break games.
To note, this is only showing as a red flag for me. I'm going by a gut feeling for HOW I KNOW I ENJOY VIDEO GAMES. The co-op in this case feels baked in where it would be more enjoyable playing with someone. The other red flag for me is the action RPG elements reminiscent of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Like where you can't backstab someone and instant kill because their level is too high, killing the whole idea of stealth.

But anyway, your tone with this and the last post is reading as too aggressively confrontational for me. I'm too tired for this shit, so I'm done. Maybe the game will be great and who knows, maybe I'll even enjoy it myself. I'm just going by my first gut instincts on what I personally enjoy. If you have a problem with that, I don't care.

GasBandit

Staff member
I knew this was going to happen, I tried to subtly head it off at the pass, but I see I was too subtle.

Nick doesn't like Co-op games. Pez loves co-op games.

Nick doesn't consider any game he doesn't like to be "good." Pez absolutely cannot stomach any criticism of anything he likes.

You guys are just going to have to agree to disagree and remember that opinions are things and assertions based on them should be made with disclaimers.

figmentPez

Staff member
Pez absolutely cannot stomach any criticism of anything he likes.
That's bullshit and you know it. I'm critical of every game I've ever talked about on this forum, love them or hate them. I'm definitely critical of the games I love, and will not hesitate to point that out. Zelda games, universally, have terrible User Interfaces for anything outside of combat. Planescape Torment has weak combat to the point of it being a major negative in the game's pacing. I could just say "Meat Circus" and be done with Psychonauts, but it has so many flaws beyond that (most notably that any video game, ever, that forces rapid button mashing should not have made that choice).