Video Game News and Miscellany

Tim Sweeney, everyone. Founder and CEO of Epic Games, creators of Fortnite, responding to Apple's release of a whitepaper on the risks of unprotected sex er, sideloading of apps :
twobits.png

Tim Sweeney's company, just ten Cent scant months ago:

"Wait, you can't use our own techniques against us! That's not faaair!"

--Patrick

Nobody looks good in this lawsuit. I hope Epic and Apple come to an agreement that will only affect Apple users before the judge makes a decision that affect all of us.

I love that Square is trying to put all this effort into making the game's pixel art look good in HD but then completely ignored that when it came to the font.

figmentPez

Staff member
TV-Style Commercials Are Coming To Console Games

"a company called playerWON, described as 'a first-of-its-kind in-game advertising platform', has signed deals with companies like EA and Hi-Rez (Smite) to try to bring TV-style commercials to their console games."

"Having tested this tech for over a year, they feel like it’s now ready to be implemented, the idea being rather than just beaming videos to them in the middle of a game, players would be able to view an ad then, when servers detected the commercial had been viewed in its entirety, 'release rewards to the player.' "

Fuck NO. I really don't want to have to get an ad blocker for my video games.

I feel like the first time I pay 80 bucks for a game and I have to take a commercial break will literally be the last time I play a video game.
For me, It'll be the last time I play that particular video game, but I don't think I'll swear off gaming entirely. I'll just go play games I know don't have obtrusive ads in them.

I'm going to be playing nothing but Dwarf Fortress for the rest of my life, aren't I.

I'm suRRRRe thar'll be some ways arrrround that, mateys. Ahoy and avast, and shiver me timbers.

But yes, I was appaled and hated the in-game ads in Need for Speed back when tried that (remember? I think it was Underground 2, which had real life billboards with realbillboard commercial info on them from Coca Cola and stuff).If I start a game and I have to watch an ad, that'll be the fastest return in my life.

Racing games with billboards and shit doesn't bug me. It sucks, but that shit is easily ignored. It's being forced to stop playing to view an ad that would be my breaking point. I don't play mobile games for reason (beyond that they're universally god awful).

Racing games with billboards and shit doesn't bug me. It sucks, but that shit is easily ignored. It's being forced to stop playing to view an ad that would be my breaking point. I don't play mobile games for reason (beyond that they're universally god awful).
There's a big difference between the (often real) ads for Bridgestone tires and stuff, and actual Coke and Nike billboards in the background that were supposed to be adaptable (I don't think that was ever active, actually, though it was definitely announced as such).

But yeah, stopping my game for an ad will be a good reason to hoist the Jolly Roger.

There are ways they could do in-game advertising that I would find unobtrusive... for example, if I was playing State of Decay 3 and I was suddenly finding Pepsi Co products as food/health items because Microsoft did a deal with them, I wouldn't blink twice. Why the fuck wouldn't I find Pepsi and Doritos and such when I'm raiding houses in America for supplies? I wouldn't even care about billboards showing Taco Bell or KFC... that's a NORMAL THING in the setting I'm playing in. That's just part of the world.

But if I'm suddenly forced to watch a 30 second commercial between Mechwarrior Online matches or some other game? Yeah, I just stop playing that game or I patch out the commercial as soon as I can.

GasBandit

Staff member
Burnout Paradise sold advertising on its in-game billboards and it was perfectly immersive and nobody had a problem with it.

But yeah fuck advertising that interrupts gameplay.

The only good thing that could come from this would be to have a game of Raid: Shadow Legends be interrupted in order to show ads promoting Raid: Shadow Legends.

--Patrick

If one of my monster hunts get interrupted by "Drink Pepsi" I might cut someone. I get a little intense playing MH and ad breaks interrupting me?? Omg no.

Imagine if they played after dying or losing in a game.

Joker: "Too late, Bats! The bombs are going off and Gothan is mine! By the way, have you tried the new Dr. Pepper?"

figmentPez

Staff member
"Welcome to City 17, you have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. Now with easy access to Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, and Foot Locker. Model citizens may be randomly selected to receive a coupon for a free classic chicken sandwich...."

When I was young, and Duke Nuke'em first came out, it had a couple fake billboards. I tried to convince my business partners that in-game product placement and billboard advertisement was a way to make money without overly pissing off the gaming community. Instead of a generic food or health potion, you could get McDonalds or Coca Cola to pay for in-product placements. And you could get real advertising space on billboards that could be updated via a remote server, so you were constantly bringing in fresh revenue. They thought I was crazy. Just ahead of my time.

Tommy Tallarico, video game music guy and terrible Canadian video game tv show host and now CEO of the almost certain failure relaunch of the Intellivision has been having a real one on Twitter lately as people read the publicly available internal documents they forgot to password protect. He likes to rant and rave about gaming communism and gaming racism when people criticize his ill-conceived stupid device no one will buy for the price of a Switch.

1625262842548.png

This is real by the way. This whole thing is insane.

What the fuck is a 7/10 in their internal scale? Who determines this? Tommy? I watched Electric Playground for years bro, you have legitimately the worst taste in games.

It's double hilarious how butthurt he is when anyone criticizes his dumb shit, because brother, I watched you shit on a lot of classic games relentlessly for years.

Tommy Tallarico, video game music guy and terrible Canadian video game tv show host and now CEO of the almost certain failure relaunch of the Intellivision has been having a real one on Twitter lately as people read the publicly available internal documents they forgot to password protect. He likes to rant and rave about gaming communism and gaming racism when people criticize his ill-conceived stupid device no one will buy for the price of a Switch.

View attachment 38250

This is real by the way. This whole thing is insane.

What the fuck is a 7/10 in their internal scale? Who determines this? Tommy? I watched Electric Playground for years bro, you have legitimately the worst taste in games.

It's double hilarious how butthurt he is when anyone criticizes his dumb shit, because brother, I watched you shit on a lot of classic games relentlessly for years.
I remember watching him on G4, and I will credit him for bringing my attention to whether or not the sound changed when a character was walking on a wood floor vs carpeting. It seems like that was the one thing he focused every review on.

Nintendo revealed the "new" Switch

The Switch (OLED Version) will have a slightly bigger screen with a bit of higher resolution. The model will be the same size and has a bigger internal storage (64GB). Launch is 10.08.2021.

figmentPez

Staff member
Jokes aside, it's better than putting a different screen in the same model with no way of knowing which you're going to get without opening the box.

I keep thinking of getting a Switch because there are a couple of exclusives that I want to play, like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I know it goes against the idea of what the Switch is supposed to do, but I kinda wish there was a non-portable version, without the screen. I've honestly never been one for portable gaming. Never owned a Game Boy growing up or any portable console. Briefly had a PSP, but that was exclusively to play the remastered FF IV on it. Once I finished that, it collected dust.

I keep thinking of getting a Switch because there are a couple of exclusives that I want to play, like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I know it goes against the idea of what the Switch is supposed to do, but I kinda wish there was a non-portable version, without the screen. I've honestly never been one for portable gaming. Never owned a Game Boy growing up or any portable console. Briefly had a PSP, but that was exclusively to play the remastered FF IV on it. Once I finished that, it collected dust.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can't remember the last time I played my switch docked.

• Agree
Reactions: Dei
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can't remember the last time I played my switch docked.
I bought a lite because I realized I hadn't played ours docked in months. The Switch is my "waiting for an appointment/stuck in a room I don't want to be in" go to.

figmentPez

Staff member

Honestly, I don't think a non-portable Switch is a bad idea. It certainly makes more sense than the Playstation TV did (the non-portable variant of the PS Vita). I kinda wonder how much cheaper it would actually be, though. Screens and batteries aren't that expensive these days. Android TV boxes are scarely cheaper than Android phones.

Eh. I’m the opposite. I would guess 90% of my Switch use is when it’s docked on the living room TV. I think one of the best things about the Switch is that it can do both well and make both types of users happy.
I like playing MH on the tv because I guess I’m old and I need a big screen for a hunt. I like playing Pokemon games handheld. Otherwise, I’m 50/50 between docked and handheld. Being able to take it on my work trips is a huge plus.