Video Game News and Miscellany

For me, Steam Deck portability is mostly playing in bed instead of in the basement.
As someone with joint problems, the steam deck to me is playing reclining in an easy chair instead of sitting at my desk, which can sometimes be painful
Post automatically merged:

True. Though, like a Nintendo Switch, if they released a cheaper version of it that was exclusively for playing on a TV with the portability feature removed, I'd be more interested in getting it.
Wouldn't that just be a PC?

As someone with joint problems, the steam deck to me is playing reclining in an easy chair instead of sitting at my desk, which can sometimes be painful

No, because I'm talking specifically about playing the games from the couch, on a TV. Right now, my only option to play PC games on the couch is via the Steam Link, which has inconsistent connectivity issues and can only run as high as 1080p.

No, because I'm talking specifically about playing the games from the couch, on a TV. Right now, my only option to play PC games on the couch is via the Steam Link, which has inconsistent connectivity issues and can only run as high as 1080p.
What I meant is that the portability is the only thing that makes the steam deck unique from just a small form PC. Small gaming PCs that you can connect to a TV have existed forever:

(Note: the link is just an example, not a recommendation, I haven't researched PC configs in awhile but I can say minisforum is a reputable dealer)

GasBandit

Staff member
A simple HDMI Distribution Amplifier (a powered signal splitter in laymans terms) would make it easy to get the PC to go to both the monitor and the TV for cheap (a displayport to hdmi cable might also be needed), but I find the real barrier to couch PC gaming is I can't do without full KB/M, and the surface just isn't there... and creating that surface negates the comfy factor of the couch.

Of course, those not averse to controller gaming on PC wouldn't have that issue.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not far, honestly. They're against the same wall in my living room. My computer desk is in one corner, then some bookcases betwen it and the TV. There's probably less than 10 feet between them.
If you've got an extra HDMI out on your video card, just get a long HDMI cable. That's how I've gamed on my TV for years. I got a 15 foot / 4.5 meter cable for under $5 shipped and it's always worked just fine for 1080p. You'll probably need to spend a little more to get a cable that'll do 4K, but it still won't be that expensive.

It’s been awesome for me. It comes on my work trips, my medical procedures and I can play from bed when I’m unwell.

I wouldn’t be able to play at a desk long after working all day.

The nominees for the Game Awards 2023 GOTY are out:

Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros Wonder
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

BG3's gonna run away with this, isn't it. SM2 and TOTK might have a chance, but I don't see any game other than BG3 realistically winning it.

Alan Wake will "probably" win Game of the Year and Best Soundtrack. Poets of the Fall will show up to do a song. It'll probably be Herald of Darkness. The Alan Wake Actor, the Warren Door actor, and Sam Lake will all be there.

BG3 will definitely win RPG of the year.

*shrug* eh, young kids mostly use tablets or hand-me-down smartphones. It's just way too convenient as a media consumption device. Unless a parent is a gamer and let's their kid watch/participate, it's not surprising that they'd be unfamiliar. I'd guess COVID played a part there too, since they didn't get to hang out with friends and possibly be exposed to console/PC gaming that way. They'll learn as they get older if they're interested.

figmentPez

Staff member
Half-Life 25th Anniversary Documentary

I'm kinda tempted to install and play Half-Life Uplink. It hasn't been long since I played Black Mesa, but it's been quite a while since I've played Uplink (the free demo for Half-Life that was it's own mini chapter made for the demo).

Oh but they say it was a bug, one they rushed to fix, and not an attempt to gauge customer reaction to a potential alternative revenue stream.

--PatBUYJOOKYrick

I recently played GTA V over again, and my biggest hope is that they've grown out of their south park phase. All of the "satire" in 5 was just mean, everything was mean spirited, everything was punching down, and I evoke south park because South Park tries to claim that so long as they're punching everyone it's ok. And it just comes across really juvenile.

Hoping a grand theft auto game isn't juvenile is maybe a lot, but I suppose we'll see. It can still be silly and satirical, but... V's vibe in 2023 feels really bad.

figmentPez

Staff member

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Switch port of Arkham Knight runs poorly, and looks awful, but unfortunately the ports of Arkham Asylum and City also run poorly (though they mostly look fine).

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Switch port of Arkham Knight runs poorly, and looks awful, but unfortunately the ports of Arkham Asylum and City also run poorly (though they mostly look fine).
That is supremely disappointing. I thought this would be a nice way to get those games (really just Asylum and City) in one place for my Switch.

Boo.

My favorite E3 moment is from 1995. Sega had just announced that their Saturn console will retail at $399, so people were naturally curious about what Sony's rival Playstation console will be priced at. The president of Sony America, Steve Race, went on stage, said "two ninety-nine", and then left.

This would be the start of the Playstation kicking the crap out of the Saturn in pretty much every metric imaginable. And I say that as a massive Sega fan.