Video Game News and Miscellany

Still, there should be some sort of auto review in progress. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out some sort of algorithm that could flag the questionable ones for manual review. Taking down a video with an average views/hour > x, or something.

--Patrick

Google won't change anything. However, discussing it openly like he did will do what Google will never be able to do.

Now MILLIONS of people are aware of the problem and the company now has a fatally ruined image that may never be removed from them. It's bad enough that TB has a million subscribers but when he put that video out and defended his case and there's no gray line and other people of his network share his concerns, everyone is now aware that this company is to blade for the situation and look extremely shade at the same time.

Any sound gamer will now avoid them like the plague and will speak ill of them. They'll still sell their game to the masses of the mundane but it will be an uphill battle for the rest of their livelihoods in that company.

This move was a terrible PR decision.

Terrible.

And they deserve it for that shitty as fuck product I watched in some Let's Plays.

Jesus.

So, the release date of Arkham Origins kind of snuck right up on me. Game comes out friday.

Here's the one thing that I don't get. If you're not going to get Kevin Conroy to play Batman, why hire someone an then have them do their best Kevin Conroy impersonation?

GasBandit

Staff member
So, the release date of Arkham Origins kind of snuck right up on me. Game comes out friday.

Here's the one thing that I don't get. If you're not going to get Kevin Conroy to play Batman, why hire someone an then have them do their best Kevin Conroy impersonation?
At least he didn't do his best Christian Bale impersonation?

The thing is, even Kevin Conroy thought he was going to be voicing Batman again in the game, then they hired someone else. Kinda dumb.

I dunno, they got Troy Baker just to do a Mark Hamill impression too. I was looking forward to new takes on the characters.

Baker's Joker isn't too bad, but I agree it's sad they have to basically do impressions. His Joker laugh isn't so hot from the bit I heard, though.

I think the root of the issue is Conroy and Hamill basically own those roles. I mean, I've heard some other good versions, but nothing compares to their interpretations and if you're even a moderate fan of Batman I'd wager theirs are the voices you hear in your head reading the comics and such.

Looks like Path of Exile has gone gold. It is now up on Steam with achievements and I assume integration with the Steam store.

Yah I got the email saying it would be released for realsies on Oct 23. Didn't know they had released a new class, keep meaning to check, but I never seem to have the time to do anything about it.

--Patrick

I've been cautious about Arkham Origins ever since I heard it was being made by a different studio.

I'm still waiting until I see the game, but my expectations are at least not very high.

figmentPez

Staff member
Apparently Arkham Origins is only 5 hours or so long. So buyer beware there.
If it's 5 hours of good gameplay, that's still more than I was expecting. Everything I heard about the game led me to believe that it was not going to be much like Asylum or City.

5 hours? Yeah, that puts it squarely in the "buy it during next year's x-mas special" for 8$

I'm a sandbox junkie, I cannot finish a game during one sitting and feel happy i played a lot of money for it.

If it's 5 hours of good gameplay, that's still more than I was expecting. Everything I heard about the game led me to believe that it was not going to be much like Asylum or City.
Well, from what I've heard, the game's ending isn't that great either.
It turns out that The Joker hired out the assassins while posing as Black Mask.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, from what I've heard, the game's ending isn't that great either.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me one bit. The trailer pretty much gave it away to me.

I hope this doesn't become like the Legend of Zelda series. "We swear, there really is a different bad guy this time. It's totally not going to turn out to be Ganon/Joker behind it the whole time."

Apparently Arkham Origins is only 5 hours or so long. So buyer beware there.
Sounds like a "watch a Let's Play" instead of bothering to buy or rent.

These days if a game can't match at least a dollar per hour (and replay value counts), I don't feel it's worth my buying it. Unfortunately, my ability to pick these wavers. Sometimes I'll get a $60 game that only gives me 10 hours and I never want to play it again. Other times I get a game for $30 and end up playing it for 200 hours. So I guess it evens out.

These days if a game can't match at least a dollar per hour (and replay value counts), I don't feel it's worth my buying it. Unfortunately, my ability to pick these wavers. Sometimes I'll get a $60 game that only gives me 10 hours and I never want to play it again. Other times I get a game for $30 and end up playing it for 200 hours. So I guess it evens out.
Lego Marvel Superheroes is under 30$ and I've already put 8 hours in and am at a 10% completion rate. I guess that's a good return on investment.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gnomoria has started to patch in sound effects... and by and large, they're.. uh.. pretty annoying. Good thing you can turn them off.

A dollar per hour is a little unreasonable I think, but a 60 dollar big budget game should at least last 10 in my opinion. Then it's on par with seeing a movie in theaters.

A dollar per hour is a little unreasonable I think, but a 60 dollar big budget game should at least last 10 in my opinion. Then it's on par with seeing a movie in theaters.
Yeah, that would be 60 hours minimum for a regular new release. Only a few games carry that much playtime.

GasBandit

Staff member
I refuse to pay $60 for a game. Full stop. You know right now there are multiple people at different publishers trying to calculate when/how they can get away with upping the "standard" price for games to 69.99, and how slow the fire has to be under the pot to boil that particular frog. Buying games at $60 damages the industry for the consumer. But not as much as those bastards who preorder - those guys deserve death with a rusty blade.

I refuse to pay $60 for a game. Full stop. You know right now there are multiple people at different publishers trying to calculate when/how they can get away with upping the "standard" price for games to 69.99, and how slow the fire has to be under the pot to boil that particular frog. Buying games at $60 damages the industry for the consumer. But not as much as those bastards who preorder - those guys deserve death with a rusty blade.
I don't often either. In most cases I can wait.