Video Game News and Miscellany

I guess the PS5 is crushing the Xbox Series X (I think that's the new console, I legitimately cannot remember with Microsoft's plainly awful way of naming things). If console war nonsense is your thing.

I guess the PS5 is crushing the Xbox Series X (I think that's the new console, I legitimately cannot remember with Microsoft's plainly awful way of naming things). If console war nonsense is your thing.
Not surprising. Not only is it just as hard to find, none of the exclusives have been all that thrilling.

I wouldn't be surprised if this helped push the Bethesda buyout, since anything not already negotiated is going to be an Xbox/PC exclusive from Bethesda in the future.

Well, a pile of EA games are now available on Game Pass....as long as you install the new EA desktop thing that sucks. COMPLETE. ASS. It looks like you can just install them off the Game Pass app, but you can't. It just tries and gives you an error.

Fucking EA.

Last edited:
Not video games per say, but Chris Metzen's tabletop games company is announcing their new shtick on the 23rd.

I guess he took quite a few Blizz vets with him.

I could easily believe BL’s genesis stemmed (and/or seeded) from someone saying out loud, “So he’s a bard, but all his songs are heavy metal...”

—Patrick

I could easily believe BL’s genesis stemmed (and/or seeded) from someone saying out loud, “So he’s a bard, but all his songs are heavy metal...”

—Patrick
My brother played that in a D&D campaign we both played in like a decade ago. His name was a Bruise Gunderson and he wielded his mighty mandolin, Der GunderAXE.

Onto my sharing of news.

So, Activision has been getting some well deserved shit over the laying off of hundreds more people while Bobby Kottick is given 200 million dollars in bonuses. Bobby and the board decided, how can we just be a little more evil.

The most important video game news story of the year. The oral history of the word chungus, now that Big Chungus is canon in some shitty gacha Looney Tunes game.

This has been known for awhile. I suspect there would be more of a market for CRTVs in the retro scene if they were such a pain in the ass to move. They also make up/down converters to do this too, but expect to pay like 500 bucks.

This applies to basically anything up until the PS3/360/Wii generation, as previous generation games were still being designed for 480/720 and not 1080.

This has been known for awhile. I suspect there would be more of a market for CRTVs in the retro scene if they were such a pain in the ass to move. They also make up/down converters to do this too, but expect to pay like 500 bucks.

This applies to basically anything up until the PS3/360/Wii generation, as previous generation games were still being designed for 480/720 and not 1080.
Most emulators can recreate scanlines well enough for me

I remember that the color of a pixel would be chosen not only for its color, but also because of the dithering pattern that color would create via the RGB sub pixels. That is some meta-level artistry right there.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The guy who made DayZ played a lot of valheim, and now he wants to make his own Valheim. It's called Icarus.

8 player co-op "brutal survival"

Apparently the game focuses on time-limited mission drops to fall into a partially-terraformed planet, starting with nothing, with the goal to harvest as much "exotic" resources as possible before being picked up by the ship. Having a ticking clock and a replayability factor piques my interest and might make this just different enough to not be a straight up "me too."

Last edited: