VR Adventures

Dave

Staff member
Gorn seems like it might be fun.

[DOUBLEPOST=1495748336,1495748236][/DOUBLEPOST]
GOOOORN! Mother fucking GOOOORN! I got this this weekend and holy fucking shit is this game fun! It's currently at the top of the games list for my favorite. Steam says I've only played it 3 hours but that's only because I've had to play it where I wasn't logged in to Steam and was in offline mode. If you have a Vive, get this game!

Oh, and the wireless TPCast has started taking preorders for the US. But they've raised the price to $300. Damn it.

Yeah Gorn is fun. We need to get together and play ST:BC it's down to 25 bucks right now! Or if that's not possible, some Pulsar: Lost Colony (Same type of game but you can move around the ship, upgrade your ship, and beam down and move around planets but the visuals aren't as great)!

GasBandit

Staff member
I should probably be bumping this thread instead of spamming "what are you playing." Sooo...

Sopwith VR is a cute little free timewaster you can get on steam. It is just what it says on the tin... the old DOS game Sopwith, remade into a simple VR simulation.

It starts off good enough, but the longer you play the game, the lower the framerate gets. By the time I finished, I had gone from 90 to 14.

GasBandit

Staff member
Robo Recall comes free with the oculus touch bundle. It's a fun shoot em up, though I wish it didn't rely entirely on teleport to move. Also it frustrates me to no end that no matter how awesome I think I have done at a level, Terrik has apparently done it 10% better than me.

GasBandit

Staff member
The new Bigscreen update uses new drivers for audio streaming that only work with windows 10, so those of us on windows 7 can no longer host movie nights and stuff in BigScreen.

Welp.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gorn has apparently had a big update, and I'm digging the new fight progression structure. It's a much more straightforward method, and makes it a lot simpler to unlock the weapons you want.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think my favorite weapon is the claws.

They may not be the most powerful weapon in the game, but the 90s wolverine fanboy I was in my teens gets a MASSIVE MURDERBONER when I run around clawing out hearts and heads.

SNIK SNIKT, BUB

GasBandit

Staff member
The new Bigscreen update uses new drivers for audio streaming that only work with windows 10, so those of us on windows 7 can no longer host movie nights and stuff in BigScreen.

Welp.
Well, I got bigscreen working on windows 10... apparently there are a lot more bugs introduced by the new version that I wasn't even experiencing on 7 (most irritatingly, a stuttering video/performance degradation bug. They say they're working on it.

Welp x2.

GasBandit

Staff member
The update to bigscreen today seems to have fixed the previous issues. I tested streaming a 1080p/60fps movie on some randos and it all went off without a hitch. So! One of these days, we'll have to do a "VR Movie Night" or something.

The update to bigscreen today seems to have fixed the previous issues. I tested streaming a 1080p/60fps movie on some randos and it all went off without a hitch. So! One of these days, we'll have to do a "VR Movie Night" or something.
I don't feel like watching a movie in VR would be all that great. I don't know about the Oculus, but I know the image quality in my Vive is nowhere near as clear as my monitor or tv

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't feel like watching a movie in VR would be all that great. I don't know about the Oculus, but I know the image quality in my Vive is nowhere near as clear as my monitor or tv
Well, I can't speak for the vive, but it looks pretty damn impressive in the rift. It may also help because, as the name implies, Bigscreen puts it up on an imax-or-bigger sized screen in the virtual space (which is also made up to look like a fancy theater)... so probably even the vive would be in a "multiple-pixels-per-pixel" situation rendering the movie.

I tried it out before the big update a couple times with Dei and then with Snuffles, and it worked pretty good then, albeit with some issues that have now been resolved. (They also have oculus rift though)

So if someone was considering doing something completely irresponsible and buy one of these things, what's the recommendation here? Who's happy with what they got?

Dave

Staff member
I'm very happy with my Vive, but damn do you need room to take advantage of it. I don't have room any more so I can't really play it.

I haven't fully committed yet. I was looking at the Vive Pro Starter Kit. I'm just not sure if it's worthwhile yet, as I'm still playing about an hour of games every couple of weeks.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty satisfied with the Oculus rift, and the starter set is $350, which is good for most front facing things, but if you go that route you might as well pony up the extra 50 bucks for a third sensor to put behind you. It really makes a difference in games that involve lots and lots of arm movement or facing 360 degrees. I haven't tried the Vive to compare, though.

If all you want to do is dabble, though, you might look into the oculus go, which is $250 and is a standalone unit (doesn't need your computer). It doesn't play the same games but it has a lot of VR experiences and stuff. Also, the Oculus Quest standalone system is coming out in may and is, from what I hear, pretty impressive.

You can use it as a workout, so you can play everyday and tell yourself it's for your physical health. :p

I got to play around with the Acer mixed reality headset the other day. First experience with VR, pretty neat! Gonna lay out some impressions:

- very easy to set up. Cameras are mounted on the headset, so you basically don’t need to calibrate anything. Also can pick the option to stay more or less stationary, so don’t necessarily need a lot of room, either. From unboxing to exploring VR took less than 10 minutes

- hella annoying to get the visor in focus. The visor can flip up and down, but when it’s flipped down there’s nothing locking it in place. For me this means my face can push it ever so slightly out, which changes the angle and makes the screen a little blurry. Took a good deal of fiddling to get it to sit right. Might need to jerry rig some kind of locking strap.

- seems like a pretty narrow FOV. Like I said this is my first time trying VR, but the lack of peripheral vision stuck out to me. On the flip side this makes for a pretty dense pixel count, so better image resolution from what I’ve read.

- button placement spaced out juuust a bit too far. Makes it a bit awkward at first touch, but seems like it’ll be fine once I get used to it.

- obvious in hindsight, but the controllers need Bluetooth, much to my chagrin.

- probably not going to matter much to the gamers on this forum, but the system requirements on this are pretty lax. This is part of what got my interest, as I only have a GTX-960 and didn’t want to shell out another $300ish for a new card. Haven’t tried any real games yet, so we’ll see how that goes. Did try a couple free Windows VR demos, no problems there.

- the unit itself was pretty cheap. Regularly goes on sale for $200, got it for $150 (pre-tax). I do so love a good bargain. I imagine if you had to go from a Rift/Vive to this it’d be kind of annoying, but for a budget option it seems pretty awesome