Want a laugh? I'm an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Yea as the night wore on and I was less sad, I started to become angry kind of. Never been angry at her before so that was new. Sad part is, you're all right. I knew what I was walking into and like a fool, I kept on going. A fool and his gold are soon parted. The funny part is de-intergrating her from my life will be a process. All my passwords for work, home, etc are all intangled with her some how. My cell phone is one she didnt need anymore, which from a technical standpoint was a big upgrade from my old $30 phone, etc etc etc

It's hilarious really in some mad way. I knew it was going to happen, hell I knew the night it happened just from no contact, avoiding talking to me a few days, I knew. I just feel kinda numb really.

Yea I still have a job at least, and for the most part it's nice. I can post this from work, so it has it's perks. A few thousand dollars in comics might help, I did see a Showcase #22 for $700 on ebay which is nice, always wanted one of those...

At least there's still WoW, comics, etc. Stuff that's never let me down in 28 years. Thanks for the kind words.

Mav, Jesus Christ, those are all inanimate objects. They don't love you back. I'm telling you this as someone who really wants to see you pick yourself up: material garbage will not fill any significant part of your life. It's all just consumer crap; it's not going to help you cope with being lonely, nor will it fulfill your life in a meaningful way. My advice is to save your money. You live with your parents. You have no major bills to pay etc. Save your money. In a year or two, find a house to buy, move out, maybe in the meantime search for a more rewarding job. Use some of your new income to go out and do the things you like, visit places etc... Go to a comic con, go to a museum, go out for lunch with some co-workers. Try to join a club or organization, like a Dungeons and Dragons, cooking class, or Warhammer group. This is how you meet people with similar interests. I don't think you should focus so much on a romantic relationship, but just getting some friends that'll open a window to a variety of new people to interact with. Join something that's completely off the wall and out of character for you, you might like it. Buy a motorcycle find some dudes to cruise with.

And here's the other kicker. People call me a jock for whatever stupid reason they have, but physical activity is a very important aspect for life balance. We are evolutionarily made to move around and work our muscles. I suggest joining a gym swimming class or some kind of outdoor club (geochacheing I hear is really fun). Hell, take that 700 bucks you'd blow on comic books and get a really nice Mountain Bike. Go out for a ride after work everyday. You don't have to be a star athlete or anything. Sign up for a Karate class. I know that I'd personally go insane if I didn't go to the gym to work out and play hockey once a week.

Mav, Jesus Christ, those are all inanimate objects. They don't love you back. I'm telling you this as someone who really wants to see you pick yourself up: material garbage will not fill any significant part of your life. It's all just consumer crap; it's not going to help you cope with being lonely, nor will it fulfill your life in a meaningful way.
/

C

Chazwozel

Mav, Jesus Christ, those are all inanimate objects. They don't love you back. I'm telling you this as someone who really wants to see you pick yourself up: material garbage will not fill any significant part of your life. It's all just consumer crap; it's not going to help you cope with being lonely, nor will it fulfill your life in a meaningful way.
/
[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

That's funny, cause my old college roommate said I look exactly like Tyler Durden. I didn't know if he was saying that because he was complementing me on my good looks, or implying that I was a filthy/cynical person.

Dave

Staff member
/
[/quote]

Exactly! Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

That's funny, cause my old college roommate said I look exactly like Tyler Durden. I didn't know if he was saying that because he was complementing me on my good looks, or implying that I was a filthy/cynical person.[/QUOTE]

He meant that you are not real.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I'm not going to dig on Mav for this at all. I have one of these sorts of stories in my past, too. Maybe not as bad as his, but it's similar.
Mine was terrible, it ended up in a 3 year marriage from HELL!
And months after the divorce has been final I'm STILL paying her f'ing bills.
Bitch!

Oh, and she did the whole "my husband is a violent jerk that doesn't appreciate me" schtick as well when I met her.
Yes, she was married. Yes, I was an idiot.[/QUOTE]

I can't dig on Mav for this either. I dated a married guy. We worked in the same office, though, rather than being someone I met online. He told me he was leaving his wife. She was a frigid, controlling shrew from what he told me. After about a year he divorced his wife and started cheating on me with someone else. I found out. He told me it was a one time thing. It wasn't. Two years later he left me in New Jersey and moved to Vegas with his other girlfriend. I was an idiot, too. But in the end I felt like it was karma. I didn't give a damn about his marriage and that came back to bite me in the ass. I'd never do that again.

Mav, Jesus Christ, those are all inanimate objects. They don't love you back. I'm telling you this as someone who really wants to see you pick yourself up: material garbage will not fill any significant part of your life. It's all just consumer crap; it's not going to help you cope with being lonely, nor will it fulfill your life in a meaningful way. My advice is to save your money. You live with your parents. You have no major bills to pay etc. Save your money. In a year or two, find a house to buy, move out, maybe in the meantime search for a more rewarding job. Use some of your new income to go out and do the things you like, visit places etc... Go to a comic con, go to a museum, go out for lunch with some co-workers. Try to join a club or organization, like a Dungeons and Dragons, cooking class, or Warhammer group. This is how you meet people with similar interests. I don't think you should focus so much on a romantic relationship, but just getting some friends that'll open a window to a variety of new people to interact with. Join something that's completely off the wall and out of character for you, you might like it. Buy a motorcycle find some dudes to cruise with.

And here's the other kicker. People call me a jock for whatever stupid reason they have, but physical activity is a very important aspect for life balance. We are evolutionarily made to move around and work our muscles. I suggest joining a gym swimming class or some kind of outdoor club (geochacheing I hear is really fun). Hell, take that 700 bucks you'd blow on comic books and get a really nice Mountain Bike. Go out for a ride after work everyday. You don't have to be a star athlete or anything. Sign up for a Karate class. I know that I'd personally go insane if I didn't go to the gym to work out and play hockey once a week.

Well yeah, but short term what he needs to do is recover, and if that means blow a thousand dollars in comics I say do it. He has a stable income but probably not any serious necessary expense right now!

Mav, you should follow Dave's advice about saving a %, though.

Maybe in a couple of months start saving a bit more and engage in more social activities, even if they may be nerdy (I'm not going to tell you to exercise, because I understand how hard that can be...), like joining a D&D group. Seriously, that sounds like a GREAT idea. So, move on from less and less WoW to things like D&D, going out with co-workers (I understand this may be harder, but please do try) and whatever.

Seriously, take this as a turning point (I know I'm like the 4th saying this but whatev...). Maybe not right now, but before 1 to 3 months you should start with this changes.

Seriously, even the nerdiest and most socially disabled person can have a somewhat normal life, still doing the nerdy things they like and maybe not having the biggest social life but still engaging on some meaningful relationships with other human beings. I have seen some cases, and there's only one I do doubt I he will. Believe me, you are not like him! So you should be fine.

I w¡sh you the best of lucks, specially if you do follow some of the advice lay out by the people here :)

Basically everything that's already been said. Remove all contact with her, get out and DO stuff, don't rely on comics and games.

The more money saved the sooner one can get out of one's mothers basement.

Get out of mom's basement or buy 700 dollar comic book.

Choose wisely.;)

I

Iaculus

Well yeah, but short term what he needs to do is recover, and if that means blow a thousand dollars in comics I say do it. He has a stable income but probably not any serious necessary expense right now!

Mav, you should follow Dave's advice about saving a %, though.

Maybe in a couple of months start saving a bit more and engage in more social activities, even if they may be nerdy (I'm not going to tell you to exercise, because I understand how hard that can be...), like joining a D&D group. Seriously, that sounds like a GREAT idea. So, move on from less and less WoW to things like D&D, going out with co-workers (I understand this may be harder, but please do try) and whatever.
[/QUOTE]

Speaking as someone who knows, though, it's best not to use this as an excuse for procrastination. There's a fine line, but it's there.

I feel sorry for you but it does sound like you were almost asking for trouble from the start. there were plenty of signs along the way that you chose to ignore and now you are paying for it. I don't mean to sound rude cause I do feel sorry but if I was you I would chalk this up to a learning experience and be happy that you have a job and try to move on.

R

Rubicon

Funny thing, I really don't know what to do on a daily basis now. I mean my day would consist of waking up, txting her, going to work, emailing back & forth throughout the day, phone call at lunch, get home, sit on MSN chatting with her, kinda half paying attention to WoW in the background when she's afk or something, chatting with her on cam till 1 or 2 am my time (one hour time zone difference for us), going to bed, repeating the same the next day. May sound routine but it was normal for us.

Plenty of nerd hobbies I guess to keep my time

Dave

Staff member
Funny thing, I really don't know what to do on a daily basis now. I mean my day would consist of waking up, txting her, going to work, emailing back & forth throughout the day, phone call at lunch, get home, sit on MSN chatting with her, kinda half paying attention to WoW in the background when she's afk or something, chatting with her on cam till 1 or 2 am my time (one hour time zone difference for us), going to bed, repeating the same the next day. May sound routine but it was normal for us.

The trouble with this is that your nerd hobbies require you to be alone. WoW is all well and good as are comics, but they are not social. WoW seems social but is not.

You need to find some hobbies that are outside or inside with other people. Chaz is totally right about keeping yourself fit. Hell, find a walking club in your area if nothing else. Not sure where you live but do they have hiking trails? Find something you like to do that is social and go do it.

help her pay for a divorce
paid for her to fly here, paid for the upscale hotel room, rented a fucking limo, i went all out
I pay for her to come out again for labor day weekend
I again pay for most of all of it
So I start looking for a cheap replacement for her
spending most of my paycheck ordering her toys off Amazon
Can't buy love, Mav.[/quote]

:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

What's the facepalm for?[/QUOTE]

I posted in a topic once that, since I supported my boyfriend through college, I'd like him to get a me a nice engagement ring now that he's an accountant and making decent money. Mav called me shallow, materialistic, a gold-digger, and pretty much implied that I was only with him for the money... some really nice stuff. Now he's shared that he got a job and has spent most of his money just to buy nice things for a woman.

Irony is a bitch.

help her pay for a divorce
paid for her to fly here, paid for the upscale hotel room, rented a fucking limo, i went all out
I pay for her to come out again for labor day weekend
I again pay for most of all of it
So I start looking for a cheap replacement for her
spending most of my paycheck ordering her toys off Amazon
Can't buy love, Mav.[/quote]

:facepalm:[/quote]

What's the facepalm for?[/quote]

I posted in a topic once that, since I supported my boyfriend through college, I'd like him to get a me a nice engagement ring now that he's an accountant and making decent money. Mav called me shallow, materialistic, a gold-digger, and pretty much implied that I was only with him for the money... some really nice stuff. Now he's shared that he got a job and has spent most of his money just to buy nice things for a woman.

Irony is a bitch.
[/QUOTE]

I remember that thread. heh. I'm glad it wasn't at my assessment, then. I was trying to figure out how it was facepalm-worthy.

I tend to not take Mav's rantings about relationships very seriously. He's not a kid, but his experience is very limited. It leads him to espouse some attitudes and ideas about relationships and women that, at least to me, seem very immature. As we can see in this thread, it also leads him to make some immature mistakes many of us have made before.

I imagine that after he gets some good old fashioned "Real life kicking him in the nuts a few times" and some more relationships under his belt, he will have a more realistic outlook on these things.

R

Rubicon

What's the facepalm for?

Irony is a bitch.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

WoW seems social but is not.
Erm am I missing something? Because for me, WoW is probably as social as you can get with a game. I play with a girl who I've known for 7 years and while we play, we're constantly talking and the way you often need to wait, it's quite easy to do.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I tend to not take Mav's rantings about relationships very seriously. He's not a kid, but his experience is very limited. It leads him to espouse some attitudes and ideas about relationships and women that, at least to me, seem very immature. As we can see in this thread, it also leads him to make some immature mistakes many of us have made before.

I imagine that after he gets some good old fashioned "Real life kicking him in the nuts a few times" and some more relationships under his belt, he will have a more realistic outlook on these things.
Listen to that Mav. You haven't done anything here that plenty of guys haven't done, too. You're growing, man. Enjoy the ride.

WoW seems social but is not.
Erm am I missing something? Because for me, WoW is probably as social as you can get with a game. I play with a girl who I've known for 7 years and while we play, we're constantly talking and the way you often need to wait, it's quite easy to do.[/QUOTE]

It is as social as you can get with a game.

It's still only a pale shadow of actually BEING SOCIAL in REAL LIFE.

Now, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing but people have these mistaken ideas that Facebook and WoW can be substitutes for real life. They can't.

A

Andromache

that's the trick. getting more relationships doesn't happen to meek guys, no matter how nice they are, if they stay in their houses and read comics. but it seems easier, than picking oneself up, dusting off, and trying again.

I'm with Icarus on that too. I know more people I can count on both hands that have hooked up because of WoW. Now is it common? Probably not, but WoW can be immensly social if you make it so. Con get togethers with guild mates, Blizz Con gathering, guild lann parties. etc etc etc

Do I think that's always the best course of action? Nah. Just making sure both sides are known though.

C

Chazwozel

I just told you what you should do!

Status
Not open for further replies.