[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

I am somehow invested in Dumbing of Ages, while feeling I would feel nothing if Willis were to stop it all at the same time.

Like on the one hand the characters are good, the current set-up arc is kinda interesting, but on the OTHER hand..."Its Walky" had them fighting aliens and multiverse shenanigans, that shit was my X-MEN as a teenager!

...that is a testament to Phil that he's going to soldier on through it.

Other (so-called) long-running webcomic artists, take note. (*ahem* Paul Taylor *cough* Scott Kurtz)

...that is a testament to Phil that he's going to soldier on through it.

Other (so-called) long-running webcomic artists, take note. (*ahem* Paul Taylor *cough* Scott Kurtz)
It probably helps that Phil Foglio and his wife have been professional artists since the early days of indie comics. They were doing MTG cards in 1993 and that wasn't their first big break.

Dumbing of Age may be a merely "okay" webcomic but the alt-text on todays strip just draws attention to the size of the buffer Willis has built up, which itself shows a professionalism certain other webcomic artisits *cough*you all know who I'm talking about*cough* are lacking.

Dumbing of Age may be a merely "okay" webcomic but the alt-text on todays strip just draws attention to the size of the buffer Willis has built up, which itself shows a professionalism certain other webcomic artisits *cough*you all know who I'm talking about*cough* are lacking.
I've always been in awe of Willis' output. He has literally MONTHS of buffer built up. At least four months, going by the reference to the "Batman does cunnilingus" meme in today's strip. I don't know if I'd call Dumbing of Age "merely okay," though. I think it's quite good. There's a lot of character detail in character design and development that's often overlooked in storytelling.

I'd qualify it as like, Pretty good to VERY good depending on the strip, at least compared to his earlier work. Like I'm not gonna lie and say I wish he'd didn't do spy-fi superhero stuff again, but Dumbing of Ages is still one of the few solid web-comics I still keep up with regularly.

I'd qualify it as like, Pretty good to VERY good depending on the strip, at least compared to his earlier work. Like I'm not gonna lie and say I wish he'd didn't do spy-fi superhero stuff again, but Dumbing of Ages is still one of the few solid web-comics I still keep up with regularly.
Yeah, I liked Shortpacked, but it was much more hit and miss, especially when it mixed with the weird stuff from It's Walky. Which I honestly never read. I discovered his work very late into Shortpacked and never went back and read the previous stuff. So when weirdness from that stuff would crop up, it was a miss for me.

Since I got onto Dumbing of Age from the ground floor, and it's a completely separate work, it's much more accessible to me. Sometimes there are in-jokes to the fact that these are kind of alternate universe characters, but they're far and few between.

Yeah, I liked Shortpacked, but it was much more hit and miss, especially when it mixed with the weird stuff from It's Walky. Which I honestly never read. I discovered his work very late into Shortpacked and never went back and read the previous stuff. So when weirdness from that stuff would crop up, it was a miss for me.

Since I got onto Dumbing of Age from the ground floor, and it's a completely separate work, it's much more accessible to me. Sometimes there are in-jokes to the fact that these are kind of alternate universe characters, but they're far and few between.
Definitely makes it a proper spin-off in that regard,where new fans can get into it without prior knowledge of the previous series.

....STILL wish for a SEMME spin off, but maybe I'll just write my own.

I've always been in awe of Willis' output. He has literally MONTHS of buffer built up. At least four months, going by the reference to the "Batman does cunnilingus" meme in today's strip.
MONTHS indeed, todays comic says:
BUFFER WATCH
Comics are currently drawn and uploaded through:
March 4, 2022

I know Rachel Smythe said the mid-season hiatus will be at least four months, but I want more Lore Olympus noooooowwwwwww. *pout*

Waiting sucks.