Weird weather

Dave

Staff member
Because Texas deregulated there are a bunch of scenarios like this. A power company had something set up where you paid a fee and then get your energy at their wholesale costs. Which works great when there's nothing going on. But right now with the outages and spikes, the wholesale costs have skyrocketed, giving you bills like the above. It's like having a variable rate mortgage and we all know how well THAT turned out.

figmentPez

Staff member
I’ve heard it many times also, but the last time I remember it being like this was before you lived in Texas. 1983. Had snow on the ground for about a week, sub-freezing temps for almost that whole time. I take most weather people with a grain of salt, when it’s a bad storm they want to try to grab people’s attention and they start tossing around “once in a lifetime” and “hundred year event” like they’re going out of date and have to be used before the expiration date.
There was an ice storm back in the 90s, not long after I moved here, and it knocked out power to areas for at least a week. It wasn't as cold, but the actual historic significance of these temperatures is besides the point. I don't care if people are accurately using the terms or not, what bothers me is that they're letting politicians and energy company executives avoid accountability.

figmentPez

Staff member
My parents and my sister & brother-in-law are both still awaiting plumbing repairs so they can turn back on water at their houses. My sister has been told "no later than the 15th" for getting the repair, while my parents still can't get anyone to commit to a date. They've been without water now for well over two weeks. It's a good thing I've got water, and they can come over here to shower and fill bottles.

Last edited:
March is the snowiest month for Colorado, so it's not like I'm shocked.

Also, I have nowhere to go, and I'm probably not in the path of the biggest stuff.

It’s supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. In northern Minnesota. At the beginning of March.
I’m not complaining, but this is crazy.

The last few days around here have been the Double Edged Sword that this lovely state brings you. In the same moment, you get that pleasant feeling of, "Oh, hey, this is the reason why I moved to Arizona!" - immediately followed by the unpleasant feeling of, "Oh, yeah, that's right, I live in Arizona."

March is the snowiest month for Colorado, so it's not like I'm shocked.

Also, I have nowhere to go, and I'm probably not in the path of the biggest stuff.
This giant blizzard has already been downgraded to a foot and a half, and the start time keeps getting pushed back. I am not impressed.

This giant blizzard has already been downgraded to a foot and a half, and the start time keeps getting pushed back. I am not impressed.
Well, the snow is wet and heavy, so it's not going to be as high as fluffy snow, but it's packing in pretty well now. Also huge gusts of wind, so that's exciting.

I took a picture of my neighborhood while I was checking the mail. This is mid-May weather. There shouldn't be no snow during March. I'm dreading wildfire season.

20210318_165617.jpg

I was in the forecasted path of tornadoes today. Same system that hit Alabama and Noth Carolina. It was bad enough that the local school districts closed and had an elearning day instead. Meaning I worked from home today. We had... some wind and a bit of rain. It was fine. I don't fault the decision, though. There was no way to really tell what was going to happen.