Weird weather

Real roller coaster this month, we had days of rain in the first week of December, something I've never seen before. Now this.

1640637312664.png

Looked around and found that some areas in California have received 9-12 feet (3-4m) of snow, with more on the way.

--Patrick
Yes. We’re torn, because on one hand we’re in a severe drought and the snow pack being filled is great news. On the other hand, such a large amount of snow in a short period of time is wreaking havoc on roads and utilities.

Looked around and found that some areas in California have received 9-12 feet (3-4m) of snow, with more on the way.

--Patrick
*looks up the math*

That can't be right. Snowfall up here is usually measured in centimeters. The greatest snowfall in one Canadian city was around 145cm.

But 9 feet is around 274 cm. And that just can't be right.

You obviously have never heard about Donner’s Pass. there is a reason why it was so hard to get to California from points east.

9 feet is around 274 cm. And that just can't be right.
This is the total accumulation since Dec 1st, and as of Dec29, the total December snowfall adds up to ~210in (17½ feet), or a little over 533cm. That's about halfway to the total amount of snow the mountains are supposed to receive by the end of March. The total December snowfall in the year of the Donner Pass incident was "only" 185in (470cm). They had 40in (101cm) of snow just on Dec27, but I could not find whether that was the largest single-day total for all of December.

--Patrick

The year I moved to Virginia (2010) we got about 4 feet of snow in one day (122 cm). A monster truck came through the neighborhood, and left a big ol set of trenches from its tires, and my wife has pics of my upper body poking out from one of them as I trudged up the road to get red bulls from the 7-eleven (which was just outside the neighborhood, along the emergency snow route, so the roads were clear there, and the store was open)

23 degrees outside right now. Yesterday, 72 degrees.

I put my heater down to 65 overnight, trusting in my new big ass blanket to keep me snuggly. It was perfect.

Nowhere near as potentially horrifying as that, but our power went out this morning due to the nor'easter blowing through. Fortunately, it looks like it won't be out for too long. Mind you, those estimates aren't an exact science. Oddly enough, Nova Scotia Power tends to overestimate on power interruptions. I would've expected their estimaton to be sometime tomorrow, not just a few hours.

Screenshot_20220115-121634_Chrome.jpg

There's been an eruption in the south pacific. Even LA is under tsunami warning.

That volcano was still underwater when it erupted like that. That explosion must have been enormous. And reports are that it was near the nation of Tonga, and they have been hit with massive waves.