Weird weather

I purposely exclude those on the forum from my generalization. We have several Canadians here and have seen their troubles as they happened. So I believe we have a better understanding than most people just off the street. All the videos and interviews I’ve seen were very US-centric and dwelled exclusively on how bad we in the states had it.
Yeah, I actually came to post something similar. CNN, 9Gag, Facebook, our national news, almost all of the reporting on this is "Oh my God Americans are suffering right now! It's so horrible!" conveniently leaving out the other people suffering worse.
It's not about actual people, it's about reporting :-p

That said....Let's all get our facts straight, this is all because of Canadian errors and bad judgement and/or Biden,, not because of climate change or environmental BS going on.

Over here in my neck of the woods (the Outaouais region in Quebec, mercifully spared by the fires), the day before yesterday looked like New York in the last page. Yesterday was visually MUCH better, just really cloudy, but paradoxically, the air quality was INSANELY worse, with an air quality index of 728 when I got up (it's considered bad at 51) but it improved throughout the day, likely thanks to the high winds.

Today's all back to normal air quality-wise. Fires are still raging in certain regions, however... :(

I purposely exclude those on the forum from my generalization. We have several Canadians here and have seen their troubles as they happened. So I believe we have a better understanding than most people just off the street. All the videos and interviews I’ve seen were very US-centric and dwelled exclusively on how bad we in the states had it.
Agreed that media coverage isn't necessarily reflective of what the actual populace is feeling or experiencing. If anything, in person, I've heard more people realize how bad things were/are in Canada because of it's reach. More so than just the news reports on the fires.

Agreed that media coverage isn't necessarily reflective of what the actual populace is feeling or experiencing. If anything, in person, I've heard more people realize how bad things were/are in Canada because of it's reach. More so than just the news reports on the fires.
The news reports we’re seeing here, just the network feed repeated on local news, it all comes across as “it’s so horrible here in NY, look how bad the sky looks, the smoke is from some wildfires in Canada, but the wind is blowing all the smoke here and it’s so horrible; and we can’t do anything about it and the Yankees might have to postpone some games because of it, and the shows on Broadway are worries about lowered attendance. This is just so horrible for NY.” And of course by NY they only mean NYC because the rest of the state is possibly imaginary.

This is just so horrible for NY.” And of course by NY they only mean NYC because the rest of the state is possibly imaginary.
As someone who lives in the mythical not-NYC part of New York, it’s also not nearly as bad here as it is there (though it’s still pretty bad).

GasBandit

Staff member
Today was supposed to be my area's first day in triple digit temps for the year. Didn't quite get there, but the heat index did get to 111.

It was a great day to be working from home.

We're about an hour east of Gas, currently at 5:25pm, its 95f outside and still 111f on the heat index. Luckily I've been working in an air conditioned workroom all day.

Meanwhile we might get to 84 on a Sunday, which may be the peak temp of the entire spring. Also we already have more precipitation this year than the entirety of last year.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also we already have more precipitation this year than the entirety of last year.
We've been getting more rain than usual here, too... part of why the heat index is so high. It's excruciatingly humid. And all the standing water has made this year's mosquitoes a bumper crop >_< I pretty much have to slather Deep Woods Off like cologne before I go out.

It is going to be 100F until 9pm tonight. It was 84 when I got to work this morning. That is the danger of humid hot. It does not cool off enough to get comfortable if you do not have A/C.

Dave

Staff member
It was in the 90s today, so of course it’s 15 degrees or more hotter in the plant. Then one of the valves broke on top of one of the tanks and I had to climb up and fix it. But before I did I had to put my hoodie on because the tank was in sterilization. Which means it’s being steamed to 250+ degrees. Mother FUCKER it was hot up there.

And when I got back to the control room I found out someone ate my last ice cream bar.

Wait, this is the weather thread, not the rant thread.

It’s fucking hot outside.

Fuck the heat, fuck the smoke and double fuck all the flies swarming you the moment you're outside trying to get out of both.

Dave

Staff member
Yesterday in South Africa four people were killed by tornadoes. I did some searching and found that they are fairly common there, which surprised me.

But what surprised me even more was a trivia question. Without googling (and you don’t have to answer here because it’s just for fun), which state has the most tornadoes by land ratio? Like, a smaller state could have less but be higher in the rankings.

Florida

I did not expect this answer.

Yesterday in South Africa four people were killed by tornadoes. I did some searching and found that they are fairly common there, which surprised me.

But what surprised me even more was a trivia question. Without googling (and you don’t have to answer here because it’s just for fun), which state has the most tornadoes by land ratio? Like, a smaller state could have less but be higher in the rankings.

Florida

I did not expect this answer.
Likely from all the Hurricanes. They tend to spawn a lot when the system dies or hits land.