Weird weather

The forecast is calling for thunderstorms this afternoon/evening.

That'll be a fun bike ride home from work. Good thing I brought my waterproof gear with me.

And yes, I am an absolute madman. :D I biked in a few thunderstorms when I was a courier in Toronto.

The forecast is calling for thunderstorms this afternoon/evening.

That'll be a fun bike ride home from work. Good thing I brought my waterproof gear with me.

And yes, I am an absolute madman. :D I biked in a few thunderstorms when I was a courier in Toronto.
Turns out I didn't need my rain gear at all. It was bright and sunny by the time I left.

I'm kinda disappointed. And sweating like mad from wearing all my rain gear home.

Dave

Staff member
Turns out I didn't need my rain gear at all. It was bright and sunny by the time I left.

I'm kinda disappointed. And sweating like mad from wearing all my rain gear home.
And I'll bet you LOOKED insane as well.

Bright, shiny day and there's this guy looking like Bruce Willis from Unbreakable.

Uh-oh.
[Visible Concern]

--Patrick

Last year in our part of the world, summer temperatures kicked in early (May) and we went months without a significant rainfall, if we got any at all. It was a horrible summer. This year, we've had lots more rain (although not Dei's levels) and an extremely mild June. Parents were grumbling about the weather at some of our All Star baseball games, which when they started over 2 weeks ago, we were still wearing sweatshirts and jackets, accompanied with umbrellas. I said then, and I still say it now, I would rather the mild, albeit rainnier, weather, than the alternative, which is creeping closer to being the standard.

We finally got some sustained rain today for the first time in over a month. It wasn’t much, less than a tenth of an inch, but every drop we get in July and August is welcome around here.

Fuck.

Although, if it goes straight on course, it'll hit mainly Cape Breton, not the mainland. And part of Newfoundland.

That's assuming it stays on course and doesn't stop for donuts again.

Ug. We're on hour 6 I think of heavy thunder, lightning, and rain. With no end in sight.
I can deal with this bs for a bit, but it's getting excessive.
Roads are flooded in parts, some places are on fire (see: lightning), it's loud, wet, and I don't like it.

Last edited:
Torrential rain swept across northern Italy on Friday, 21 July, bringing high winds, hail and flash flooding.
Hail-filled floodwaters coursed through the streets of Seregno while an intense hailstorm hit Venice on Wednesday.
In Sicily, temperatures are hovering around 45ºC (113°F), hospital admissions have increased by 20 percent, and two Sicilians have died.
No word on when the frogs and locusts are scheduled to arrive.

--Patrick

So many homes lost due to yesterdays storm. Crazy. A beaver was seen scoping out the mall that is underwater. The city has enlisted the amphibious tourist vehicles into the fire department.

It is 101 here now, the next county to the east is 92... :mad:
There were some storms just north and east of here. 102° here, less than 15 miles away, 75°. Not a single drop of rain got within 10 miles of my home. County now has a burn ban in place, and more counties all around us enacting bans every day.

So Taiwan had a bit of a drought in late 2022 and early 2023. Fortunately, the spring rains brought enough water to fill our reservoirs all over Taiwan, except for one specific reservoir, the Zenwen Reservoir, which provides water to Tainan City and its surrounding regions in southern Taiwan. Even when other reservoirs were up to 90% capacity or more, the Zenwen Reservoir would still hover at 10%-15% or thereabouts, because the rains stubbornly refused to fall in the Zenwen Reservoir's upstream regions. This meant that Tainan has been threatened by water shortages for nearly a year now.

We're expecting a big typhoon this week, and current projections are that the typhoon will mainly pass over southern Taiwan, ie pretty much directly over Zenwen Reservoir and its upstream regions. If Zenwen Reservoir still doesn't get any water this week, we'll know that the reservoir is pretty much cursed.