What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Just randomly listened to The [Dixie] Chicks' first album in 14 years, Gaslighter (which was apparently just released today).

Holy fuck, but it's the most vicious yet low-key FUUUUCK YOOOOOU I think I've ever listened to. A lot seems to have happened over the last 14 years, and they've squeezed quite a bit of that into the ~45min album. Definitely worth a listen, especially if you appreciate the kind of stuff Taylor Swift is known for (not too surprising since Swift's producer was involved with the album).

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Remember their last hit was called "Not Ready to Make Nice" and was about how they didn't give a shit about how all the people treated them after they came out against the Iraq war. Doesn't matter that they were right. Conservatives like to hold a grudge over stupid shit that they are wrong about.

I don’t want to make it sound like it‘s a bad album, cuz it’s not. The songs have some serious teeth, and those teeth bite hard. But if you’re not one of the ones being snarled at, they’re really something to behold, especially ones like “Young Man,” which is simultaneously a lullaby, growing-up advice, and an over-the-shoulder rebuke at someone who is not in the picture any more. I can see many of these songs going on to become someone’s personal anthem. Ain’t a one of ‘em that’s just “fluff.”

—Patrick

I've been really happy with the revolutionary spirit of some of our musicians lately - and vastly disappointed in others (I'm looking at you, Lady AntiBLM). Eminem's Music To Be Murdered By, while not specifically about the current political climate, does a fantastic job of breaking down all of the constant negativity that starts when you're a young musician and follows you throughout your career regardless of what accolades you win along the way, and he and Kid Cudi's latest drop, The Adventures of Slim Shady and Moon Man makes some very good points about the current situation. Now I'm just waiting for some new drops from Sol.Luna, either of the Ices, Snoop, any of the Atlanta rappers, etc. - but I imagine most of them are a little busy right now. Sol, at the very least, has been streaming from the streets of Portland for most of the last 50 nights.

Re: Gaslighter. All good songs, and some of them just sneak right up and slide the dagger in nice and easy, don't they? Damn.

Last edited:
Lately I've been getting more in to rockabilly/ punkabilly/ psychobilly/ skabilly. Just all them billies.

Most notably, Canadian bands The Creepshow and the Raygun Cowboys

Last edited:
Lately I've been getting more in to rockabilly/ punkabilly/ psychobilly/ skabilly. Just all them billies.

Most notably, Canadian bands The Creepshow and Raygun Cowboys

I tried to explain psychobilly to someone once, and they looked at me like I was nuts.

Last edited:
I tried to explain psychobilly to someone once, and they looked at me like I was nuts.
I mean, it is a little bit nuts.
My first exposure to it was a local three piece called Buzz Deluxe who played a lot of the local punk shows I'd frequent in my teens. they were more straight rockabilly than psychobilly or punkabilly but somehow they fit in there with our scene's "shitcore" and skacore bands anyway.

The Creepshow I've seen live like a dozen times, because if the Planet Smashers are playing, it's about 50/50 chance the Creepshow will be playing before them.This latest lineup is my favourite though.

Always had an appreciation for the genre, but only now am I starting to really get into it.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here with a fever listening to mashups not even certain what is real anymore.
That’s one of my favorites of his, because of how many things blended together so well, to the point that I probably know the mashup changes better than I know the originals.
That, and “Freaktender.“

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
You guys need to listen to Skratch 'N Sniff. It's a radio show that does these kinds of mashups. It plays here in Omaha every Friday night and I love it.

Happy mom Alanis is warming my heart today.

Hooo, I'm having Covid depression emotions today. This made me tear the fuck up.

That's so unrealistic...

No way PH pays models more then they make on their own if they have a big enough following.

figmentPez

Staff member
33 minutes?

ANGTFT
I tried watching it, before Pat posted it actually, and it rambles so much I couldn't get through all of it. I could not follow what the point of the video was. (That may be on me, because I'm an anxious mess who can't focus on anything.)