What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Dave

Staff member
I really love it when I'm listening to something on YouTube or where ever and a song comes on I've never heard before. Sometimes they are hard skips but every once in a while you get someone you've never heard of and wish you had much earlier. Like Nathanial Rateliff, some of you probably already know this guy but I've never heard of him.

Gregory Alan Isakov.

I really love it when I'm listening to something on YouTube or where ever and a song comes on I've never heard before. Sometimes they are hard skips but every once in a while you get someone you've never heard of and wish you had much earlier. Like Nathanial Rateliff, some of you probably already know this guy but I've never heard of him.

Gregory Alan Isakov.

Oh yeah, he’s great. The full albums for This Empty Northern Hemisphere and The Weatherman are great. That Sea, the Gambler is ok, IMO. His newest out I have only listened to a couple of times, but San Louis is a great song.

Only album I have so far is his collaboration with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, which is also great. It’s lived in my car constantly for the past year or so.

Last edited:
When I'm not being brainwormed by Camel by Camel, I'm digging directly into Carpenter Brut. His aggressive synthwave has been my jam for the last week or so.

Discovered Else a couple weeks ago.
To me, it sounds a little like if Daft Punk had been formed and stayed in the 80's...which is apparently not too surprising since I've just discovered while posting this that they both originated in/near Paris. I didn't realize this means there's probably a distinctive "Paris sound."

"Paris" - The song that introduced me to them, and seems to be their most popular hit.

"Night Thoughts" - Chill/EDM? I guess?

"About You" - Just an overall chill track.

--Patrick

I've listened to this song before, but only recently really paid attention to the lyrics

To my dearest forsaken
Who the earth now has taken
Empty, the bottle drains no more

It is true that I loved you
Despite the harm now on you
Washes, the river has you boy

Here on the eve of too long
Where you'll think I have done wrong
Waking in fear of you no more

I'll put my trust in the savior
Human forces of nature
Strength of the stump I tied you boy