What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Man, out of the trainwreck that is Cyberpunk 2077, an incredible punk album was born when CDPR had Swedish punk band Refused be the stand-in for Johnny Silverhand's band Samurai. The whole thing is a fantastic album. But I particularly like Black Dog and Archangel.

Holy cow Refused are still around? Fuckin' all right.

Pandora reminded me about this artist recently by playing this song.
I'd forgotten how dynamic his stuff is.

"Shutemdown" - Celldweller

--Patrick

Couple of weeks back, FINALLY unpacked the new headphones I've been sitting on for a couple of years and, while searching for something to test out the 96/24 playback mode, discovered this thing called "8D" where people remix songs for surround/binaural listening. This has also led to people claiming "16D," "24D," or "32D" mixes, and frequently the remixes are used as a bit of a gimmick, such as this one for Enya's "Only Time," which feels like it is playing on a set of speakers that are orbiting your head (assuming you are wearing headphones while listening to it, that is). Which is a neat effect, but it's not why I'm posting today. No, that would be for these two:

I'd never heard of Bliss before, but this went straight into the evening "wind-down" playlist.
And if you're any kind of Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, this stuff is amazing.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Lately I've been just fucking obsessed with a group called Manchester Orchestra. I know most of you probably already know them. I'm always a step behind. But damn this guy's voice and songwriting is amazing.

This is the one that got me started on them. The video actually made me tear up a little.

This is a song I honestly didn't care for the first time I heard it but now I have to say it's one of my favorites.

The lyrics in this one don't match the video but I absolutely love it.

And finally, probably one of my favorite songs by them. These guys are just incredible. Oh, and if you liked the movie Swiss Army Man the lead singer wrote & sang all of the songs for that movie.

Lately I've been just fucking obsessed with a group called Manchester Orchestra. I know most of you probably already know them. I'm always a step behind. But damn this guy's voice and songwriting is amazing.

This is the one that got me started on them. The video actually made me tear up a little.

This is a song I honestly didn't care for the first time I heard it but now I have to say it's one of my favorites.

The lyrics in this one don't match the video but I absolutely love it.

And finally, probably one of my favorite songs by them. These guys are just incredible. Oh, and if you liked the movie Swiss Army Man the lead singer wrote & sang all of the songs for that movie.

Look into Andy's solo stuff, Right Way, Great Captain!.

I hesitate to put any single songs here since the albums are concept albums that should be listened to in order about a 17th-century sailor who catches his wife in an affair with his brother and the ensuing life he leads afterward but here are a few of my favourites.

Last edited:
There is a Peter Schickele piece which he introduces as, "...completely original, and not influenced by any other composer," or words to that effect. It then proceeds, of course, to copy themes from and reference just about every other famous piece of (Western) classical music you can think of. Can't seem to find a performance of it, but this reminded me of that (mostly because of the title).

--Patrick

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are just fantastic. They released an album which just spans genres, and these are my favorites on the new record. They can do it all.

Only Bo could take "Why did the chicken cross the road?" and turn it into a poignant song about a woman feeling stuck in her life and still have it be funny.

GasBandit

Staff member
So Todd in the Shadows has finally done it. His "One Hit Wonderland" retrospective series has finally addressed the biggest one hit wonder of all time. The scourge of the late 90s. The bane of Generations Boomer through Millenial. The earworm and dance craze that shook the nation and the world and probably had a measurably negative effect on global productivity:

The Macarena.

So Todd in the Shadows has finally done it. His "One Hit Wonderland" retrospective series has finally addressed the biggest one hit wonder of all time. The scourge of the late 90s. The bane of Generations Boomer through Millenial. The earworm and dance craze that shook the nation and the world and probably had a measurably negative effect on global productivity:

The Macarena.

Don't act like you haven't done the macarena. I've done it, you've done it, this blood curse is on all of us.

But I see your TitS and raise you Pat Finnerty

figmentPez

Staff member
"Kitchen Song" - Tessa Violet

More of a classic pop/love song than most of Tessa's songs (which are more modern, and tend to be experimental), I can see this one getting a lot of play.