What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Sure, I'm a big Weird Al fan, but I'm still disappointed this list did not drop one of them so it could also include "The Mummers' Dance."

From the comments on that video:
danceoff.png

--Patrick

NEVER UPDATE
NEVER POWER DOWN
This is the way.
I will never understand this logic.
I power up/down every session.
I apply every (required) update (but not until after the maximum delay, of course).
I never have issues (that haven’t ultimately been traced to either hardware or driver incompatibility-type stuff).
Am I just lucky?

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I apply every (required) update (but not until after the maximum delay, of course).
I never have issues (that haven’t ultimately been traced to either hardware or driver incompatibility-type stuff).
Am I just lucky?

—Patrick
Yes.

If it is working, do not touch it. Not even to turn it off.

Am I just lucky?

—Patrick
If so, that makes two of us.

GasBandit

Staff member
I recently had my position reinforced professionally.

I did the programming and commissioning for the new AV system for a power plant control room.

Some of the PCs in that room were over 15 years old. Some were running Windows XP. One, the main control computer for the natural gas generator, ran Windows 98 SE. Part of the commissioning process was trying to get the video for these PCs into HDMI inputs on a video wall processor in a rack in the next room. I recommended they use HDMI-over-Cat6 extenders and not move the PCs, because to move them would require shutting them down.

The Project Manager, the plant shift leader, and everybody's bosses all agreed with me. They put in a ticket with their IT department to get that done.

The IT blowhard showed up, scoffed, and shut down the first computer to move it.

It did not power back on.

Fortunately it was one of the slightly less critical ones.

So yeah. Over the years, my experience has been, whenever something dies irretrievably, it usually happens during a reboot or power-up. Especially hard drives.

I've recently realized that the best songs for that nostalgia aren't the classics from one's youth, but the songs that were popular and then promptly were forgotten about. Good times looking through the old billboard charts from high school/college and finding songs I haven't thought about in years.

Great show! Hope you get to see him. I never got to see Great Big Sea, so this was a long time coming.
I've seen him live, as well as GBS back in the day. That's part of why I'm jealous. Last time he was touring in my region it was high-Covid season, so the show got moved to a date I couldn't attend.

Glad you had a great time!

I have recently come across Novo Amor, an artist I feel is very close to Bon Iver in tone and style. He makes these lovely, sweeping, and very sad songs.

Anchor - maybe my favorite song of his. It's so damn good and currently my signature quote.

Keep Me

Carry you - such a beautiful song about loss and transition
"Fade me away, I won't ever be the same"

Repeat Until Death - I take it back, THIS is my favorite song.
"It was heaven a moment ago"

Dave

Staff member
Ren. Fucking Ren. What a talented guy. I've gone down the rabbit hole with his stuff but he released a song yesterday called "For Joe". It's about a childhood friend who committed suicide. I'm thankful that I don't have a react channel because I don't know that I'd have put on a good show just sitting in awe while I ugly cried. I was immediately brought back to friends lost and last year's suicide of one of our satellite kids (kids who weren't ours but lived with us for a time when they needed it). I'd like to say it was cathartic, but I've watched it several times and it's a punch in the gut every time.

Ren. Fucking Ren. What a talented guy. I've gone down the rabbit hole with his stuff but he released a song yesterday called "For Joe". It's about a childhood friend who committed suicide. I'm thankful that I don't have a react channel because I don't know that I'd have put on a good show just sitting in awe while I ugly cried. I was immediately brought back to friends lost and last year's suicide of one of our satellite kids (kids who weren't ours but lived with us for a time when they needed it). I'd like to say it was cathartic, but I've watched it several times and it's a punch in the gut every time.

He’s pretty incredible. It’s rare to find an artist who can put as much emotion in their music as he can. He doesn’t hold anything back. “Hi Ren” and “Chalk Outlines” just about bring me to tears every time I hear them.