What are you playing?

My favorite FF's are 6, 10 and Tactics. The only ones I truly can't stand are 8 and 12. So far, I love 13. The level system is a mix of the Job system and 10's Sphere Grid. You earn Crystalsomthingorother Points based on how well you do in battle, and spend those to get more HP, new skills for certain classes, STR, etc. I didn't have everyone in the party and capable of swapping active members until well into Disc 2, as the stories branch from here to there until everyone comes back together. The battle system is a mix of 12 and a whole new idea. You have a segmented gauge that determines the number of actions you are allowed to take, and it recharges after said actions.

The coolest new thing is the Paradigm system. Every character has certain classes they are able to use (more opening as you progress) at different points in the game. The main character, Lightning, for example, has Commando, Ravager and Medic at the point I'm at. There's also Synergists, Sentinels and Saboteurs. Each class has it's own benefits and abilities. You set Paradigms to swap between class setups in battle. The usual Commando, Ravager, Ravager set up is high damage output, but no debuff, buff or healing capability. So you might want to swap to another Paradigm in which you have a Medic, or maybe one with a Saboteur and Synergist. It's easily the most in-depth combat has been in a FF game, with the exception of Tactics.

I'd also like to applaud 12 for having a plot that didn't fall into:

- Save the World from Unspeakable Horrors (The "others" weren't evil, so much as controlling.)
- Rescue the Princess (Princess is leading a resistance movement in her own city and DEFINITELY doesn't fall into the "Staff Chick" meme)
- Defeating the Evil Empire (The Empire isn't evil, but being mislead by a conspiracy.)
- Overbearing Anti-War Message (Nethicite is comparable to a nuclear weapons, but the power it gives it's wielder is treated with the gravity it deserves instead of being dismissed out of hand like it would in most stories.)

Instead we got a deep story about Humanity taking back it's ability to choose it's destiny, with lots of Shakespearean backstabbing and a realistic depiction of a small, regional war. It's characters are flawed and have depth, which would have been depicted better if they'd had the faith to stick to their guns and make Balthier the main character like they originally planned to. A lot of people give FF12 crap for the MMO elements, but I'd rather applaud it for what it managed to get right than deride it for it's flaws.

I intend to try 12 again because everyone says it has such a great story, and I do like the characters so far, but I loathe the combat immensely.

I derided 12 for it's flaws because they made the game horribly uninteresting for me. I wanted to like it, as I love the depth of the Tactics universe, but the combat just turned me off. Having no interest in the main character didn't help either (I wish Baltheir was the main character, as he was my favorite next to Basch). Maybe when I get a ps2 I'll give it another go.

FF12 didn't have a main character: Vaan and Penelo were supposed to act as observers to the real story going on, so they could manage the plot. That's why they do almost nothing once you leave the first town.

figmentPez

Staff member
I finished playing Sam & Max: The Penal Zone today. Great episode, and I'm very excited for The Tomb of Sammun-Mak.

I demand cosplay of Girl Stinky, now!

I'm actually playing through 12 finally. I've owned it since it came out, but never got past the area right before King Wrathwall's tomb. I just lost interest in it the first time around. Now I'm getting more into it and realizing that it's OK that I don't care for Vaan as he's really just a minor character.

FF12 didn't have a main character: Vaan and Penelo were supposed to act as observers to the real story going on, so they could manage the plot. That's why they do almost nothing once you leave the first town.
Alright, you can snag me on that, I haven't played it in years. It doesn't sway the fact that I couldn't get into most of the characters at all, save for Baltheir and Basch, and I didn't enjoy the combat. To slog through such a boring combat system it'd have to be the best story told in games ever, and I wasn't getting that from it at the time. Like I said though, if I get my hands on a ps2 I might try again. It's entirely possible I was expecting another FFX when I initially played.

figmentPez

Staff member
Soon I will be playing L4D2, because the new DLC is coming out. "The Passing" looks to be pretty awesome, and adding some nice features to the game. I'm not sure I want L4D2 to pull me away from the other games on my list, though. The latest drivers from ATI finally fixed my frame-rate issues and freezing in Red Faction Guerrilla, so I can get through big firefights now. I'm looking forward to playing that one.

I have way too many games on my unfinished/unstarted list: Red Faction Guerrilla, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Sam & Max Season 3 (though I have to wait for those episodes to come out), Super Paper Mario, Wario Land Shake It!, Samororst 2, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, Loom, the two SCUMM Indiana Jones adventure games, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst... and that's not counting all the games I want to at least try on Gametap before I cancel my subscription (my current year expires in October, I think) and all the games I've had an itch to replay. I think I need to stop impulse buying games for a while.

S

Soliloquy

Is it weird that I've started playing Dwarf Fortress, but also that I've recently had my two most productive weeks work-wise, despite the fact that I mostly work out of my apartment?

Because I think that's weird.

Heavy Rain

Bit late on the boat for this, due to having to wait 60 days to rent it free at work.

And DAMN worth the wait. Holy shit. I knew it was a glorified quicktime event, but the way it's done is very immersive. Just got done the "car driving" sequence and holy crap, it was like my whole world was turned upside down...literally!

Great stuff. Not sure if I'll buy it yet, but will definitely be beating this bad boy.

Beat Heavy Rain last night. Managed to even get the best ending, too.

To be honest, I didn't see the reveal of the killer even at ALL! I don't know why some people were saying it was obvious. Though, there's one noticeably large plot hole regarding the reveal and one particular death.

Even still, it's an amazing game. I've started going back through the chapters individually to get a bunch of the tropies. I may have to go through it entirely again sometime so I can get the the "evil wins" ending.

I've been playing The Witcher, trying to get through Chapter 2 for the first time since I bought when it first came out.

My girlfriend bought me Super Street Fighter 4 today. I was pretty pleased.

Now my thumb is raw as hell, like blisteringly so.

I've never had issues with playing on the Playstation controller for fighting games (other than the raw thumb). It's not ideal, but after I purged my home of all my extraneous, annoying peripherals (guitar hero, rockband, Steel Battalion etc.) it'll do.

I work better with fighting games on a game pad. I've developed a system that works for me, but does not work once I size-up to an arcade stick. I'm good with that method, but no where near any kind of professional level.

Funny thing too, I'm currently working on modding my SF Anniversary (PS2/Xbox) Joystick into an Xbox360/PS3/PC stick.

Happy to oblige you when it's complete Math. :slywink:

Shannow

Staff member
I've never had issues with playing on the Playstation controller for fighting games (other than the raw thumb). It's not ideal, but after I purged my home of all my extraneous, annoying peripherals (guitar hero, rockband, Steel Battalion etc.) it'll do.
Agreed. I actually prefer the ps2 pad for most of them.

Has anyone ever played a full Biotic is Mass Effect/ ME2? I was thinking about getting a playthrough (once I'm done my current one) with a completely opposite setup (Male/Adept/Renegade) and I was wondering how well the game goes when you don't shoot guns .:p

I tried a full biotic in 1, but I died a LOT more, so quit playing that one. Have not tried ME2 that way yet.

I'm more of a run & gun style player anyway, so that probably had a lot to do with the deaths.

I tried a full biotic in 1, but I died a LOT more, so quit playing that one. Have not tried ME2 that way yet.

I'm more of a run & gun style player anyway, so that probably had a lot to do with the deaths.
Right. I played a Vanguard (Combat/Biotic mix) for about half the game before I decided I hated the way my Shepard looked enough to start the game over, as a full-on Soldier. I found that given the option between a shotgun and force powers, I preferred the shotgun (and, ultimately, pistols).

My thoughts are that since I play Soldier mainly for the armor and pistols, I might be able to get away with playing a Biotic now that I'm more familiar with the game. I'm gonna give it a shot.