What are you playing?

Finished my first playthrough of Breath of the Wild. Did all the shrines and all the memories too. Zelda is so hot.

Overall I liked it very much. Though it isn't a perfect game, there are plenty of things I enjoyed, and many of the gameplay decisions and innovations worked quite well.

Firstly, it's a massive game, full of beautiful and interesting sights as well as interesting gameplay. The shrines generally tended to give my noggin (as well as my fingers and my sense of timing) some good exercise. And the combat was very satisfying after I got the hang of it. The first time I took down a guardian with only perfect shield parries was nothing short of orgasmic. The breakable weapon mechanic annoyed me at first, but I grudgingly came to like it because it forced me to try different weapons and playstyles. Though after I got the Master Sword, it basically became "use the Master Sword until it runs out of energy, then use random weapons until the Master Sword recharges, repeat". Some of the stuff was annoyingly obscure though, like harvesting dragon parts. I had to look up guides for them, because I would never have figured it out on my own.

The cooking mechanic was also interesting, but it's unbalanced because certain recipes simply outclass others. Why would I make stuff like Meat Stew or Egg Pudding to heal a few hearts when I could just toss two Hearty Durians in a pot to make a max-heal-plus-eight-overmax-hearts meal? Once I realized that I could make the best version of every buff just by tossing five of the same ingredient in a pot, there was no longer any need to ever cook anything else. I think the cooking mechanic could've been improved by allowing mixed buffs. For example, maybe I could cook a meal that mixes Razorshrooms and Ironshrooms to give me both attack and defense. The tradeoff would be that it would give less attack and defense than a pure Razorshroom/Ironshroom meal, so I'd have to decide how I want to arrange my buffs.

In terms of the story, the game's plot itself is kind of bare-bones, but that's ok because the world is fleshed out through the background lore and the sense of discovery you get as you play the game. Recovering Link's memories, discovering what happened with each of the four Divine Beasts, etc, these all kept me engrossed in the game world.

Finally, I think it's a pity that there's no post-game for after Calamity Ganon is defeated. It might've been interesting to wander around the world and see how it looks free of Ganon's influence.

Still, though, on the whole this was an excellent game, fully deserving of all its accolades, and I look forward to playing it more and finding stuff I didn't discover the first time around. Also might grab the DLC, haven't decided yet.

GasBandit

Staff member
If any of you guys have ever been curious about the shenanigans that go on during Jackbox night - this Friday, 8/21 at 9 Eastern/8 Central/7 Mountain/6 Pacific, will be the night to show up and check it out. After this week's session last night, Dei, Celt Z, Tinwhistler, and I all stuck around and built a custom module for Quiplash featuring prompts/questions focusing on the events of 2020. Even if you don't actually want to play, you can still watch and join the "audience" which gets a collective vote - which can sway the outcome of the game. That means you can show up late, too, and join the "audience" at any time.

You don't even have to own the game or buy anything, you just need to join the HF Discord server so you can join the voice chat (video chat optional, if you install Discord as an app) and it will let you watch Dei's stream of the game, and we join the game using our own devices via browser.

How the game works, is everybody is given prompts/questions, and they have to enter an answer for it (via browser in their device, be it phone, tablet, or PC). Those answers are paired off behind the scenes, and when everybody has submitted their answers, there's a round of voting to decide which answer is "better." Points are assigned accordingly, and at the end of 3 rounds, the most points wins.

Here's a video showing how it goes.

Hope you'll join us!

PoE crashed so hard last night that my PS4 turned off. I didn’t even think that was possible.

I will play again soon and see how it’s doing.

To any of you playing PoE are you on PS or PC? Does it barf like this for you?

GasBandit

Staff member
PoE crashed so hard last night that my PS4 turned off. I didn’t even think that was possible.

I will play again soon and see how it’s doing.

To any of you playing PoE are you on PS or PC? Does it barf like this for you?
I'm not playing it right now, but I don't remember PoE ever barfing on PC. Didn't ever crash to desktop, much less hard lock/shut down.

Fridays are Jackbox nights at this point, but I wonder if anyone would be interested in playing this game either as a precursor to Jackbox or on a Saturday night sometime. It's $5 so you'd have to own it, but I could spring for a few copies for anyone that would want to play but has a financial hardship (and is reasonably likely to actually show up) (You can also get this game for free on your phone and it has crossplay)

Last edited:
Didn't actually play it because I really don't have a taste for shooters right now, but I finally finished watching JackSepticEye's playthrough of TLOU2. I actually think the story overall was pretty well done, but the pacing was very jerky. It is also definitely the prettiest console game I've seen.

Fired up Red Dead Redemption after a couple of months. I don't remember what button does what thing. Also, this game takes forever to load.

How dead will I be when I finally finish crashing?

C189261B-E3DE-443C-8286-7CD9C59B5130.jpeg

I got 90 today (yay) but I don’t think 100 is happening any time this league with all these lag deaths and the penalties.

Guys, I was evidently underpaid during a time at work and I will be getting a chèque soon. It was during my LTD. I had no idea I had been underpaid until I got my letter so this is found money.

I have decided to treat myself to a gaming laptop to play PoE and the coming PoE2 (expansion to original, not a new game) and Diablo 4. Others I’m sure, but not graphics heavy stuff like Call of Duty and no Kim Kardashian.

Any graphics editing would be on my MacBook Pro.

Is there any harm in looking into open box/refurbished laptops?

I met with buddy at the store yesterday to go over specs and he told me about what I needed. I could repair my old one, but it’s 8 + years old, doesn’t have an SSD, the power cord is lost and the repair cost is unknown. I fear the cost difference between repairing and buying an up to date one isn’t worth it on a machine so old. I wouldn’t need to pay them to set it up as I’m not broken.

We had a great experience with the one we got ou son. It wasn’t a gaming laptop though. I got it for a steal though!

Guys, I was evidently underpaid during a time at work and I will be getting a chèque soon. It was during my LTD. I had no idea I had been underpaid until I got my letter so this is found money.

I have decided to treat myself to a gaming laptop to play PoE and the coming PoE2 (expansion to original, not a new game) and Diablo 4. Others I’m sure, but not graphics heavy stuff like Call of Duty and no Kim Kardashian.

Any graphics editing would be on my MacBook Pro.

I met with buddy at the store yesterday to go over specs and he told me about what I needed. I could repair my old one, but it’s 8 + years old, doesn’t have an SSD, the power cord is lost and the repair cost is unknown. I fear the cost difference between repairing and buying an up to date one isn’t worth it on a machine so old. I wouldn’t need to pay them to set it up as I’m not broken.

We had a great experience with the one we got ou son. It wasn’t a gaming laptop though. I got it for a steal though!
Patching up an 8 year old laptop is almost certainly not worth it.
Getting a refurbished might be interesting, but I'm always a bit wary, myself. Depends on how much of a price drop you get.
What kind of budget are you looking at? There's laptops from €300 to €5000, and obviously the first won't run any game decently and the latter is overkill for you, but there's a big difference between "I want to spend about €1000" and "I'm comfortable going over €1500 or near €2000 for a pc I can game on for 5+ years"

Sometimes. The two biggest questions to ask are: “Refurbished by whom?” and “What is the warranty?”
Units aren‘t always refurbished by the manufacturer, and 3rd-party refurbishers don’t always have defined standards. Caveat emptor and all that. Also while some mfrs will restart the warranty, others will either only give you whatever warranty remains OR will buy a 3rd-party protection plan (or both).

That said, If possible, I would only look at Intel-based laptops with 8th-gen or newer, or AMD-based laptops with Ryzen 2000-series or newer processors. I also would not get a dual-core laptop, I would go for at least 4 cores,

—Patrick

I decided to just go for a new one. It will be my work reimbursement and PS5. I was going to buy one on launch and now I will wait.

It has:

Six core intel i7 2.6ghz
16 GB ram
4GB NVIDIA GeForce card
512 SSD
It’s rainbow backlit
I bought a sexy matching mouse

I decided to just go for a new one. It will be my work reimbursement and PS5. I was going to buy one on launch and now I will wait.

It has:

Six core intel i7 2.6ghz
16 GB ram
4GB NVIDIA GeForce card
512 SSD
It’s rainbow backlit
I bought a sexy matching mouse
Well, that'll be about twice as fast as my desktop so... :cool:

It will be far better than the eight year old one our kid’s friend dropped. I will hide it when kid company comes.

It’s a smaller laptop if that makes any difference in what was available to include. My last one was a 17.3” monstrosity that weighed a ton and I didn’t want that again.

Last edited:
512 GB SSD and it has a USB C port so I can use the silly cord that came with my AirPods.

No HDD. I have several portable hard drives to store my RAW files on as needed.

The units that come with 1650 Ti come with one of two variants, either "Mobile" or "Max-Q."
The Max-Q ones are a little slower, but they also use less battery.
More importantly, the oldest CPUs I seem to be able to find paired with 1650 Ti's are 9th gen, so at worst it's gonna be something from only last year.
So long as it was CAD$1500 or less (before adding on VAT/GST), then you probably did well on the price.

--Patrick