What are you playing?

Necronic

Staff member
Ugh, I wish the guys I play with had stayed with Borderlands 2 longer. I love that game, I want to play more of it.

Also, after a VERY long path of buying game after game and finding myself less than impressed every single time, I realized that I already knew what I wanted to play all along. I'm going home. I'm playing Dwarf Fortress again.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started up on Kerbal Space Program again, found they rejiggered the tech tree and my original career save is horked.

Well, that's ok. I started over, was able to make smarter choices this time and I think it even gave me mainsails/Rockomax jumbo tanks a lot earlier than it used to.

Ugh, I wish the guys I play with had stayed with Borderlands 2 longer. I love that game, I want to play more of it.

Also, after a VERY long path of buying game after game and finding myself less than impressed every single time, I realized that I already knew what I wanted to play all along. I'm going home. I'm playing Dwarf Fortress again.
I keep doing this with Skyrim. I don't want to play it non-stop day after day and get burnt out, or I'll get home and not have the energy for something that I have to think while playing or care about the decisions I make, so I'll buy some random 4X or a side scroller or maybe an FPS; but then I wind up just playing Skyrim instead after the new game doesn't engage me after a couple hours of game play.

Then I run into the problem where I'm really far into a Skyrim character but I want to take a break, because I should really take a look at what's changed in KSP or play some Borderlands 2, or maybe I should go run around in Minecraft since it's been 3 updates since I've played it, and when I get back to Skyrim I have no idea where I was or what I was doing with that character, and have to start again.

Mega Man III

Okay, it was a tough fight, but that was the last of the main eight bosses. Now to move along to Wily's castle ... wait, what. Why are they filling up? You gotta be kidding me.

~And then~

Okay, I figured I'd die to that boss, but I'm right there, now I know what to--wait, I have to start over?!

~And theeeeen~

Gotcha, asshole! ... oh, there's more, and probably another boss at the end. That's okay, I had extra lives from Gemini Man's generous level, I'll be okay--nope, TRASH CHUNKS DROP FROM THE SKY, WOOOOOO!

~And finally~

Got past all that shit, no lives left ... and I die from the boss. Yay for me.

Dave

Staff member
I started up on Kerbal Space Program again, found they rejiggered the tech tree and my original career save is horked.

Well, that's ok. I started over, was able to make smarter choices this time and I think it even gave me mainsails/Rockomax jumbo tanks a lot earlier than it used to.
I have this and just can't play it. I have tried, but no go.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have this and just can't play it. I have tried, but no go.
I recall you saying something about that previously... and it is a game that takes patience, planning, and a large love for late 20th century space exploration (as opposed to straight science fiction)... so maybe it's not everybody's bag. It's less "Buck Rogers" and more... I don't know... Space Tycoon?

Picked up FFX/X-2 HD because regardless of what I might say, I am still SE's bitch.

Still, though, the Expert Sphere Grid is pretty cool and going to make overpowering my characters super easy.

Sorry to keep dragging this back to Mega Man and the Protomen, but this was funny (to me, at least):

I put Act I and Act II on my wife's iPod a couple nights ago, figuring she would listen to it during her subway commute at some point. She went to bed at 10:30 tonight.

She comes out 40 minutes later. "Act I was awwwwesome."
"Oh, no, sweetie, you're not supposed to listen to that when you're trying to fall asleep."
"I like the grunge."

Mega Man III

Beat the secondary stages, beat "Break Man" as he is called here. Now Dr. Light's freaking out because ... Dr. Wily betrayed him and is still evil.

not surprise.jpg

I know I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but I'm really not enjoying Cave Story. I'm trying to make myself get through it because the deal I made with myself was that I could get it if I was going to finish it before Shovel Knight came out, but I feel like I'm wasting my time on something I don't care for. Not enjoying how slippy the guy is when he lands, and some of these quests just feel inane and directionless. I'm at the puppy collection part, and I know where they are, but I just don't feel traversing back and forth four times. I'm not getting the delight out of this that everyone and their mother on the internet seemed to be getting back when this was a big deal and I'd hear about it a lot.

Collecting the dogs was monotonous and stupid, since you could only carry one at a time.

Outside of that, honestly, it just felt like another platformer to me. Fun, but not this second coming of Christ some folks seem to make it out to be.

Collecting the dogs was monotonous and stupid, since you could only carry one at a time.

Outside of that, honestly, it just felt like another platformer to me. Fun, but not this second coming of Christ some folks seem to make it out to be.
Yeah. It's impressive that it was all done by one person, but that doesn't really benefit me as the player.

In other news, I've finished Mega Man III. Dr. Wily is such a doofus.

figmentPez

Staff member
I got in about 5 hours of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword today, and so far I'm frustrated with the controls and the jaggies. Other than that, it seems to be a solid Zelda game.

I got in about 5 hours of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword today, and so far I'm frustrated with the controls and the jaggies. Other than that, it seems to be a solid Zelda game.
The controls are what made me give up, which is too bad as it seemed to add a lot to the Zelda mythos and have some really interesting new characters and ideas. Better luck to you.

Finally played Borderlands! (The first one.) I started with Lilith, because if the option to play a female character is there, I'm going to choose her 99% of the time.
I started alone, died a lot, and got up to level 10 before I finally convinced Twiggy to play with me. He tried it on PC a couple years ago but didn't love it. He only got just past level 10 or so with his first try, so after we died a couple times, he was having a lot more fun!
Like Gears of War, this game is WAY better when you're not playing alone! Once Twiggy started playing with me, I actually decided to try out Brick. He's completely outside of anything I would normally play. I pretty much love long-range damage characters and rely heavily on SMG/assault rifles, because I can't aim for shit, and need A LOT of ammo. However, I LOVE BRICK! I love punching things in the face, and I also fell in love with shotguns (because hey, I don't have to aim well with a shotgun).
We just started our second play-through last night and are about level 35 now. Once we hit level cap and play through DLC, then we'll move on to 2! :3

I love the Metroid series. I've been thinking about trying to find Other M on the cheap so I can see if it's as much of a storytelling trainwreck as I've heard.

I love the Metroid series. I've been thinking about trying to find Other M on the cheap so I can see if it's as much of a storytelling trainwreck as I've heard.
Funny thing is, I think Super Metroid is better designed than Metroid Prime even though Prime came later. Super Metroid includes lots of looping shortcut possibilities, ways to easily get back to other areas that open once you have other equipment. Metroid Prime has you marching back and forth through slowly extending point As and Bs. Metroid Prime 2 did it like Super Metroid, but I only played the first Prime once because I was annoyed by the design.

As for Other M, ahem.

Because, you know, every other time she's faced Ridley, it's resulted in a flashback to her childhood and leaving herself open for attack. At this point in the timeline, she's fought Ridley in Metroid, the Metroid Prime games, fought him as a cyborg, then some more in Super Metroid, and yet only now does his reappearance causes her to turn into a whimpering do-nothing? This is the same woman who stormed the Metroid homeworld alone and killed nearly every last creature one by one? Argh ...

That is not more Mega Man. YOU NEED MORE MEGA MAN.
I felt like I needed to finish some of the other games I've downloaded, even if they were free from Club Nintendo, before I download any more.

On that note, I've spent the last three hours playing Ecco the Dolphin and GODDAMN FUCK SHIT DAMMIT FUCK. I even turned on the invincibility and the game is still a pain. I like the story, the atmosphere, the music, even how it plays, but it's just so unforgivably difficult. I'm nearing the end, but knowing how Welcome to the Machine goes just before the final boss, I may have to skip that level.

EDIT: Yay, it's over! Ecco is reunited with his family and I can cross out one childhood hang-up. Seriously, this game stuck with me for years because I could never beat it, and I always wanted to see it through. I'm sure this was a morning well spent and I won't at all regret the work I could've been getting done for the last four hours.

Last edited:
Sorry. I really didn't even think of that.

Anyway, I'm stuck on Phantoon. Likely because I went straight to him from the last boss and apparently there are 3 or 4 more energy tanks I could have at this point. Maybe tomorrow I'll load up a map and start hunting for them, because I can't see myself getting past this boss without more health.

I'm a billion years behind and just started playing Fallout 3 (own New Vegas on 360...one of my favorite games).

I ended up with a Chinese Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle fairly early. I loaded up (as much as one can) on ammo and the game has been a breeze. the CAR made things way too easy.
It's still fun, but nowhere nearly as fun as I had with FO:NV.

I'm a billion years behind and just started playing Fallout 3 (own New Vegas on 360...one of my favorite games).

I ended up with a Chinese Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle fairly early. I loaded up (as much as one can) on ammo and the game has been a breeze. the CAR made things way too easy.
It's still fun, but nowhere nearly as fun as I had with FO:NV.
Do you have Broken Steel?

My wife has been listening to The Protomen Acts 1 and 2 every day now, and she keeps coming up with new questions from the narrative (she didn't read the liner notes; I did). It's cute, except for one question ...

Her: "When is Act 3 coming out?"
Me: "We haven't been fans long enough to ask that question."

My wife has been listening to The Protomen Acts 1 and 2 every day now, and she keeps coming up with new questions from the narrative (she didn't read the liner notes; I did). It's cute, except for one question ...

Her: "When is Act 3 coming out?"
Me: "We haven't been fans long enough to ask that question."
Apparently they've previewed a song or two at various concerts, but outside of that nobody knows when it'll show up.

The second part of The Megas' MM3 albums should hopefully be out by the end of the month, which is exciting. MM3 has most of my favorite music.

Oh, on top of Borderlands, I'm also playing Dust: An Elysian Tail. It was free on XBL this month, so why not? The controls are simplistic, the story is decent (another "who am I" story), and it is beautifully animated. I'm surprised by the amount of voice work in the game as it's by an independent designer. I'm really enjoying this game! It's been a while since I've played a platformer, and this fills that void!

Oh, on top of Borderlands, I'm also playing Dust: An Elysian Tail. It was free on XBL this month, so why not? The controls are simplistic, the story is decent (another "who am I" story), and it is beautifully animated. I'm surprised by the amount of voice work in the game as it's by an independent designer. I'm really enjoying this game! It's been a while since I've played a platformer, and this fills that void!
Also worth pointing out that other than hiring voice actors and musicians, the game was created by a single guy.

Apparently they've previewed a song or two at various concerts, but outside of that nobody knows when it'll show up.

The second part of The Megas' MM3 albums should hopefully be out by the end of the month, which is exciting. MM3 has most of my favorite music.
Yeah, I found "Hold Back the Night" from PAX 2012. The other song, "Built to Last," apparently is not part of Act 3 and won't be on the album.

I'll have to check out The Megas MM3; I didn't care for the MM2 album, but maybe the next will be appealing to me. It's just The Protomen albums--I could not be into Mega Man at all (like my wife) and still adore that stuff. I love Arjen Lucassen's work and it strongly resembles that.