What are you playing?

I think Hien is the first new character I've liked. It probably doesn't hurt that he has the Cyan's theme from FF6 whenever he's talking.

Hey Estinien you obtuse dickhole, fucking tell people you've disabled the God damn super weapon. Jesus tapdancing Christ. Would have saved the like 4 cutscenes of unaware characters discussing what to do.

If the groan I let out when Lyse decided that killing the Butcher isn't her kind of justice would have been measured, it would have been top 10 groans of absolute disgust vol 1. FUCK OFFFFFFFF. We literally killed like 50 people getting to her. She murdered countless people. HER FUCKING NICKNAME IS THE BUTCHER. This trope is the WOOOOORST.

Last edited:
Also, if a powerful enemy dies in front of you in this fucking universe of body snatching immortal beings and you don't immediately dismember it, you're a fucking moron. Vampire rules apply. Steak in the heart, cut off it's head.\

ALSO, fucking LOL at this ending scene. It's basically Buckaroo Banzai's credits.

I recently went back to a MUD I used to play a lot, and it seems they've made an... odd design decision.

MUDs, in case you don't know, are text-based online MMOs. They've been around since the 80s, and a lot of the conventions commonly found in graphical MMORPGs actually originated from online text-based games such as MUDs. One such convention is the use of instanced dungeons, ie a copy of an area generated specifically for a player or a group of players.

The MUD I play has a few instanced areas, but recently they added a new one with a ton of features. Specifically, before entering it, each player or party can configure the size of the area, the difficulty and number of the mobs, etc. In other words, it's become the perfect area for grinding exp and levels for every single player, regardless of their power level. Additionally, the mobs in this area also drop equipment of commensurate quality to their difficulty, which means players can start out by setting the mob levels lower, grab some gear, then switch to a higher level of mobs, grab better gear, then switch to a higher level, etc...

Unsurprisingly, pretty much every player online spends all their time grinding in this new instanced dungeon. In one fell swoop, every other area in the MUD has been rendered almost entirely irrelevant.

Ok screw killing Hades and escaping the underworld, why am I so invested in reuniting Orpheus and Eurydice?

Seriously, the first time I returned to the house of hades and Orpheus was singing her song I choked up.

Discovered that two games I had on my Steam wishlist were available on Switch with me sitting on store credit. As such, I nabbed Carrion and Return of the Obra Dinn. I haven't started the latter, but Carrion is a perfect October game. Violent tentacle monster breaking out of a facility, killing and eating everything in its path. I'm not a fan of twin stick games, which this smacks of, but the movement is so fluid and satisfying that it won me over hard. Made me abandon Serana on Skyrim to fend for herself for a few days.

Discovered that two games I had on my Steam wishlist were available on Switch with me sitting on store credit. As such, I nabbed Carrion and Return of the Obra Dinn. I haven't started the latter, but Carrion is a perfect October game. Violent tentacle monster breaking out of a facility, killing and eating everything in its path. I'm not a fan of twin stick games, which this smacks of, but the movement is so fluid and satisfying that it won me over hard. Made me abandon Serana on Skyrim to fend for herself for a few days.
Return of the Obra Dinn is a 5-10 hour long masterpiece of a murder mystery. It's not always easy to find the right solutions, but knowledge of navel history during the period is actually helpful and where the story goes is perfect for October.

Halo

Or the first 20 minutes or so of it, anyway.

I saw the Master Chief collection was on the XBox Game Pass. As someone that never owned an Xbox and never played Halo, I thought, "What the hell." Except before even playing the damn thing, just installing the damn thing soured my experience. Instead of just installing the first one individually, you have to install the whole damn collection. So I did. And then once it finally finished I opened the game, I went to play the story campaign of the first Halo, only to receive an error message that it wasn't installed? And then I couldn't even quit out of the game unless I force-closed it through Ctrl-Al-Del. Repeated this two or three times until I finally got it working. By that point, my patience was already nearly worn thin.

Then I was greeted to a dull-as-fuck and long opening cutscene and an equally boring training part of the standard "look here to test how to look." By the time I was shooting aliens in generic corridors, I was already bored. The alien designs were neat, but it was the exact same group of enemies multiple times so it felt like space whack-a-mole. Then I reached a point where I couldn't figure out where to go next because every entrance I could find was blocked off. So I finally said screw it and quit the game.

So since I've now done basically everything in Hades. Yup. You can look at my chievos on Steam. The last one is to get the final aspect of the Rail and I've done literally everything I can think of and even looked to see if there's a guide and it should have unlocked, it just hasn't so that's my last remaining unfinished thing.

Avengers has become available for DEMO on reputable sites like "YOUR FAVOURITE TORRENT SITE HERE" so I decided to give it a spin. Boy, it's underwhelming so far. I just got my first GEAR. All it does is raise some nebulous POWER rating. It's not represented on the character visually or anything, just lets you know that you're now 103 power level instead of 101. So fucking lame. I dunno. I am not gripped by anything yet.

Halo

I saw the Master Chief collection was on the XBox Game Pass. As someone that never owned an Xbox and never played Halo, I thought, "What the hell." Except before even playing the damn thing, just installing the damn thing soured my experience. Instead of just installing the first one individually, you have to install the whole damn collection. So I did. And then once it finally finished I opened the game, I went to play the story campaign of the first Halo, only to receive an error message that it wasn't installed? And then I couldn't even quit out of the game unless I force-closed it through Ctrl-Al-Del. Repeated this two or three times until I finally got it working. By that point, my patience was already nearly worn thin.

Then I was greeted to a dull-as-fuck and long opening cutscene and an equally boring training part of the standard "look here to test how to look." By the time I was shooting aliens in generic corridors, I was already bored. The alien designs were neat, but it was the exact same group of enemies multiple times so it felt like space whack-a-mole. Then I reached a point where I couldn't figure out where to go next because every entrance I could find was blocked off. So I finally said screw it and quit the game.
You gotta remember, that game is nearly 20 years old now. It's going to be a little long in the tooth.

So since I've now done basically everything in Hades. Yup. You can look at my chievos on Steam. The last one is to get the final aspect of the Rail and I've done literally everything I can think of and even looked to see if there's a guide and it should have unlocked, it just hasn't so that's my last remaining unfinished thing.

Avengers has become available for DEMO on reputable sites like "YOUR FAVOURITE TORRENT SITE HERE" so I decided to give it a spin. Boy, it's underwhelming so far. I just got my first GEAR. All it does is raise some nebulous POWER rating. It's not represented on the character visually or anything, just lets you know that you're now 103 power level instead of 101. So fucking lame. I dunno. I am not gripped by anything yet.
This fuckin' game is one long bummer so far.

I literally just unlocked the rail aspect. Zeus gave me the words for it.

You gotta remember, that game is nearly 20 years old now. It's going to be a little long in the tooth.
Oh, I know. I meant to mention that I had a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it because I don't have nostalgia to color my view of it. My experience might be similar to someone, say, playing Half-Life or Half-Life 2 for the first time, where as I did play those when they came out.

As a fellow never-played-Halo-before, I've been told you should just skip the first and several others, and only 2 or 3 of the pack hold up well. YMMV.
Reach and ODST are probably the only two I would actually recommend because they avoid the fucking endless hallways.

Dave

Staff member
I played Rocket League last night for the first time. It was surprisingly fun. Probably because me & a buddy played duos and he's really good. I think we won the first game like 17-3 and we gave them those three because we think they might have been kids.

Halo

Interesting bit about the look up tutorial. Playing it today, especially ported to PC, it's useless. But 20 years ago it would have been a lot of people's first time playing an fps on a console, or maybe playing an fps at all, because outside of golden eye it was a genre that was almost exclusively popular on PC. So since a lot of people wouldn't be familiar with standard control schemes, that tutorial maps button settings behind the scenes for you. If when told to look up you instinctively hit down on the stick, you would still look up and it would set look controls to inverted. It was a really clever bit of game design for its day in quickly getting someone accustomed to the controls.

Today of course .. yeah, pretty pointless.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I finished playing Fallout 3. Did everything I could find, and all the DLC. Got all the bobble heads.

To give you some idea of how much I hoard stuff in RPGs, and constantly lug back to vendors/storage as much as I can possibly carry, here's the final count of some of the stuff in my inventory and stored at my player house in Megaton:

Monies:
75,661 caps
+ plus +
473 pre-war money
123 small alien crystals
106 large alien crystals
25 Alien atomizers (500 cap value, each)
14 Alien Disintegrators (300 cap value, each)

1,065 Stimpaks
134 Bobby pins
78 Adapted Biogel
97 Alien Epoxy
& dozens or hundreds of each of the other basic chems

68 Stealth Boys
48 forks
26 metal spoons
10 sporks
103 pencils

Ammo:
50 Mini nukes
90 Bottlecap mines

11 Nuka-grenades
620 .308 rounds
1979 .32 rounds
775 44 magnum
10,014 5.56mm
6,161 5mm
485 alien power cells
1,124 BB
1,899 Darts
7,120 Electron charge packs
8,178 Energy cells
5,465 Flamer fuel
56 Mesmotron cells
3,510 Microfusion cells
2,311 Railway spikes
2,420 Shotgun shells

Plus a lot of the unique weapons and armor stashed away in a locker. Oh, and 60+ Ice cold Nuka Colas. Forgot to get an exact count. And too much other lesser crap to mention (Nuka-lurk meat, cave fungus, metro tickets, crafting components...)

No wonder it took me 116 hours to do everything.

Among Us

I don't know if this is for me. It was fun briefly hanging out with everyone, but I felt completely lost. It wasn't until the end of the last game that I even realized I could view a map by hitting Tab. I had no clue where I was going or what to really do. I was having a hard enough time doing the tasks that I couldn't pay attention to what anyone was doing, whether it was suspicious or not. And had no idea what to say or add to the discussing during voting periods.

I also feel bad because I feel like I just invited myself unannounced and I think I "stole" someone else's spot that was a regular player.

I don't know. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I'm feeling like it's not for me.

Among Us

I don't know if this is for me. It was fun briefly hanging out with everyone, but I felt completely lost. It wasn't until the end of the last game that I even realized I could view a map by hitting Tab. I had no clue where I was going or what to really do. I was having a hard enough time doing the tasks that I couldn't pay attention to what anyone was doing, whether it was suspicious or not. And had no idea what to say or add to the discussing during voting periods.

I also feel bad because I feel like I just invited myself unannounced and I think I "stole" someone else's spot that was a regular player.

I don't know. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I'm feeling like it's not for me.
I felt like I didn't know what I was doing the first few times, too. But you start getting the hang of it. Don't judge your performance against people who've been playing a while and know all the ins and outs. That's like a kid sitting down to play piano and then going "well, I'm no Elton John after my first try.." If you had fun, then there's no reason to stop.