What are you playing?

Griftlands, it's Slay the Spire with more Borderlands and an interesting mechanic where you get boons and banes depending on who likes or dislikes you.

It's excellent. These games are catnip to me.

I fucking love this game right now, though I know I'm going to burn out on it eventually. I need to see if it's on Switch, because this could be my game before bed. I now have both a story mode, with branching paths and 3 characters and a more familiar mode called Brawl which is basically exactly like most of these card roguelikes, cuts out the story. I didn't even mention this before, but what really sets this apart is the fact that you balance two decks, a combat deck and a negotiation decks. Both have different mechanics that play into the boons and banes of the different factions.

I can't recommend it enough if these kinds of games are your jam. It has almost no tutorial though, or a very minimal one one your first run. If you have any experience with these kinds of games you'll get it pretty quick.

I fucking love this game right now, though I know I'm going to burn out on it eventually. I need to see if it's on Switch, because this could be my game before bed. I now have both a story mode, with branching paths and 3 characters and a more familiar mode called Brawl which is basically exactly like most of these card roguelikes, cuts out the story. I didn't even mention this before, but what really sets this apart is the fact that you balance two decks, a combat deck and a negotiation decks. Both have different mechanics that play into the boons and banes of the different factions.

I can't recommend it enough if these kinds of games are your jam. It has almost no tutorial though, or a very minimal one one your first run. If you have any experience with these kinds of games you'll get it pretty quick.
It's on Switch.

The third character you unlock in Griftlands keeps absolutely cracking me up. Right now I'm having to prove to a drug dealer that I'm cool in a negotiation battle. That's funny. His first optional quest choices were between going to fight club or a beach party. I chose the beach party. I licked the goo. I forgot one of my battle deck cards.

Man, all three characters are really fun to play in Griftlands. I like the differences in all their combat decks. If I have one complaint it's that all the negotiation decks are very similar, but I guess that's the downside trying to make 6 different unique decks with tons of options for each. Also, I 100% appreciate the achievement design. There's no milestone achievements like BEAT CHAPTER 1 or PLAYED 100 CARDS. They're all hard to pull off and require you to laser focus with perks and deck-building to achieve and there's only like 12. One I got was for making 20 people love me. That required spending all my money on drinking with people and with gifts and with getting lucky in my quests that I didn't end up making too many people hate me.

Started a new playthrough of Breath of the Wild.

"Dammit, Link, you're so useless, you don't have enough stamina to scale this sheer cliff, and you get exhausted after sprinting for five seconds," I said as I sat slumped on the couch in naught but my underpants, huffing in frustration and blowing crumbs of chocolate pie down my chin and all over my man-boobs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica: Below Zero is really good. It's got some glitches, but nothing game breaking.

I'm a little disappointed that there's nothing in it quite as terrifying as the Reaper Leviathans from the first game, though the Ice Worm Leviathans come close.

Also SeaTruck >>>>>> SeaMoth.

So I'm giving that 5e D&D game Solastra a try. It's so fucking quaint so far that I can't help but love it. Though I guess I'm surprised that pragmatic character traits just mean my wizard bitches about money all the time and my half-elf fighter that has a violence as his lowest trait still can't help but mention how much he neeeeeeds bloodshed but I dig what they're trying to do here.

Also, who knew that RAW clerics have to stow their weapon or shield before casting most of their spells? Never once has come up at the tabletop, let me tell you.

Dave

Staff member
Also, who knew that RAW clerics have to stow their weapon or shield before casting most of their spells? Never once has come up at the tabletop, let me tell you.
If he's not wearing a shield you don't have to, I think. But yeah that's really annoying.

Griftlands, it's Slay the Spire with more Borderlands and an interesting mechanic where you get boons and banes depending on who likes or dislikes you.

It's excellent. These games are catnip to me.
Gonna agree with Frank. Excellent and Addictive.

So I got a hankering to play some Master of Orion 2, and then I learned that there's an unofficial fan-made patch known as the 1.5 patch. So I downloaded and installed it and tried it out. There are some good changes, such as bugfixes, improved interface options, gameplay tweaks such as adding the ability to terraform toxic planets, etc.

However, unfortunately this patch also nerfed the phasing cloak + time warp facilitator combo, which is an end-game combination of techs that is considered incredibly overpowered. It allows a single ship to take out entire fleets by itself. I find this strategy to be extremely satisfying to use, so not being able to use it basically makes the game unattractive to me. It's such a pity, this fan-made patch makes so many good changes, but this one (subjectively) bad change is going to make me drop it.

Last edited:
I got Maneater a while back, but am just now getting around to playing it. Level 5. I'm liking it so far, but I am real tired of running away from level 8 crocodiles that seem to show up everywhere I have a little quest goal.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica: Below Zero

Definitely a good "standalone expansion" type sequel to Subnautica. I like a lot of the changes they've made, and less so others - they've swapped a silver shortage out for a lead shortage, but hey at least titanium ingots are only half as expensive now. For some reason the Chelicerate just don't seem as scary to me as the Reaper Leviathans did, and the Shadow Leviathan seems more of an annoyance than a terror. And I don't see any real point to even bothering with the new hoverbike. I miss my Cyclops submarine but the SeaTruck does a decent job of filling in for it once you build up its expansion modules. The Prawn suit's better than ever. And now there's other people to talk to, not just audio logs of dead people! That's progress.

Oh, and it's absolutely comical how effective ramming enemies with the SeaTruck is.

Dave

Staff member
A friend bought me a game called "theHunter: Call of the Wild". Yes, it's called "theHunter" not "The Hunter" or even just "Hunter".

If you haven't guessed...it's a hunting game. Sounds dumb as fuck but I love it. It's like sneaking in Skyrim but if they discover you or you shoot them they run and never look back. It's a very slow-paced game the way I play it and that suits me just fine. It's also a multiplayer game if you want it to be but I have yet to try that.

Only issue I have with the game is that the base game was $20. But to be able to hunt all the animals or get all the maps you have to drop another $100 or so. And I have to admit with my bonus coming up next month I just might do it.

I'm surprised and amazed at how much I'm enjoying this game.

A friend bought me a game called "theHunter: Call of the Wild". Yes, it's called "theHunter" not "The Hunter" or even just "Hunter".
It should be called, "All the excitement of fishing, now with guns."
Except that yes, I know that you can't actually fish using your guns.

--Patrick

I'm still playing GTA RP. I opened a TTRPG business, wrote my own game system, and am trying to set up basically a Rent-a-GM business. My favorite part about said business though is the amount of people who I get to have meta conversations with about how RP is not cringe.