What are you playing?

K

Kitty Sinatra

It's just a conceit used to explain the loading screens, saving the game, restarting missions that you fail, or reloading when you die. Other than a few visual flourishes when you lock onto an enemy, grab a flag and the gps thing, the game itself seems to ignore the sci-fi wrapping (though I haven't finished it so I have no idea if it comes up at the end).

Call it an attempt by the creators to do something creative/artistic with the game. I think it kinda works, but I also think it was unnecessary.

B

b.glad

I've been playing tonssssss of Dragon Age: Origins lately. I am currently visiting my parents and only brought a 360 (mine's busted, but Charlie Don't Surf is letting be borrow his while he's out of the state) and a few of my games, so I was worried I would be limited in my selection, but I've only played Dragon Age and one session of Beatles Rock Band. I can't get at my DLC in any games because I don't have the means to connect the 360 up to the internet. :(

I've also been playing Lord of the Rings Online while down here as well, when I can't be upstairs playing my 360 and have to be downstairs socializing with my parents and relatives. I've got my hobbit hunter character up to level 36! :awesome:

In more general terms, though, I've been playing Dragon Age, Beatles Rock Band, and Fallout 3 lately. I am also planning to start up a new Mass Effect character before ME2 comes out soon. :)

Dave

Staff member
I've been playing tonssssss of Dragon Age: Origins lately. I am currently visiting my parents and only brought a 360 (mine's busted, but Charlie Don't Surf is letting be borrow his while he's out of the state) and a few of my games, so I was worried I would be limited in my selection, but I've only played Dragon Age and one session of Beatles Rock Band. I can't get at my DLC in any games because I don't have the means to connect the 360 up to the internet. :(

I've also been playing Lord of the Rings Online while down here as well, when I can't be upstairs playing my 360 and have to be downstairs socializing with my parents and relatives. I've got my hobbit hunter character up to level 36! :awesome:

In more general terms, though, I've been playing Dragon Age, Beatles Rock Band, and Fallout 3 lately. I am also planning to start up a new Mass Effect character before ME2 comes out soon. :)
Welcome! You have some good taste in games!

J

JCM

On Assasin's Creed, its how they managed to explain away stuff like loading screen and off-limit areas, I mean its kinda dumb to have a character in COD with a bazooka who can blast open a simple locked door.

The first Assassin's Creed had a better story which made the whole "memory units" thing plausible, but sadly Assassin's Creed 3 dropped the ball there. Not that it mattered, because it was the game that gave me the best laugh in years-
Your cousin Mario- Its-a me! Mario!

Too many unfinished games... and then I wallow in multiplayer instead of finishing them. Julie and I have PSPs with Final Fantasy Tactics and Dissidia, which means for awesome combat!
Two words for great gaming (and finishing games) with a gal.

Lego games. (although only Lego Star Wars the original trilogy and Indy 2 have multiplayer in the PSP, so me and Luiza finished them them (SW:The complete saga/Batman/Indy 1&2) on the DS instead.

A

Alucard

Right now playing Uncharted 2 multiplayer until AvP comes out and ModNation Racers. Can't wait

figmentPez

Staff member
Final Fantasy IV DS is not FFIV. The game mechanics are all different, and I don't mean just bug fixes and stuff added back in that had been taken out for the American "Final Fantasy II" release. I mean there are significant differences in how much damage characters are doing to certain enemies. The Final Fantasy IV Advance was like "FF2" all fixed-up and proper, plus some fun stuff tacked-on at the end. This is almost like a different game following the same plot. I'm torn. On one hand I'm enjoying the expanded cut scenes as well as some of the menu system tweaks (like being able to replace fight with Fire Rod and such), but I prefer the old bitmap graphics and some of the battle changes don't seem to be for the better. Oh well, I'll play it through once for the extra dialog and voice acting, and see how I feel after that.

Also playing Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures. I'm not terribly fond of the control scheme, but I've been playing with a 360 controller to see how that works, maybe I'll try mouse and keyboard. "Fright of the Bumblebees" and "The Last Resort" were both fun, though they feel a bit short for just four games in the season. Also the graphics aren't bad, but they're far from the claymation graphics I've been hoping for. I'm wondering when we'll see a game that really captures the look of stop-motion / claymation as well as, say, Wind Waker managed to do cel shading. I'm not even sure it's possible this generation of hardware, let alone for a downloadable title, so I'm not knocking Telltale Games efforts at copying Wallace & Gromit, but I think it has potential to be awesome when it happens.

And my internet connection seems to finally be fixed, so I"ll be able to play L4D2 online again.

J

JCM

Final Fantasy IV DS is not FFIV. The game mechanics are all different, and I don't mean just bug fixes and stuff added back in that had been taken out for the American "Final Fantasy II" release. I mean there are significant differences in how much damage characters are doing to certain enemies. The Final Fantasy IV Advance was like "FF2" all fixed-up and proper, plus some fun stuff tacked-on at the end. This is almost like a different game following the same plot. I'm torn. On one hand I'm enjoying the expanded cut scenes as well as some of the menu system tweaks (like being able to replace fight with Fire Rod and such), but I prefer the old bitmap graphics and some of the battle changes don't seem to be for the better. Oh well, I'll play it through once for the extra dialog and voice acting, and see how I feel after that.

Also playing Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures. I'm not terribly fond of the control scheme, but I've been playing with a 360 controller to see how that works, maybe I'll try mouse and keyboard. "Fright of the Bumblebees" and "The Last Resort" were both fun, though they feel a bit short for just four games in the season. Also the graphics aren't bad, but they're far from the claymation graphics I've been hoping for. I'm wondering when we'll see a game that really captures the look of stop-motion / claymation as well as, say, Wind Waker managed to do cel shading. I'm not even sure it's possible this generation of hardware, let alone for a downloadable title, so I'm not knocking Telltale Games efforts at copying Wallace & Gromit, but I think it has potential to be awesome when it happens.

And my internet connection seems to finally be fixed, so I"ll be able to play L4D2 online again.
That pretty much describes every FF/Dragonquest game localization and remake.

However, after playing the DS FFIII, FFIV seemed kind of a step backward, with barren landscapes in the battle screens and confusing mixture of FMV and movies with the midget characters.... maybe its because I grew up with FFIV.

A

Alex B.

I've finally entered the 21st century and grabbed a PS3 (my last game system being a Dreamcast).

Nothing fancy, but I've been having a blast playing Lego Batman with the wife, some Ultimate Alliance 2, and lots of Rock Band 2. I got Ghostbusters for Christmas but haven't cracked into it yet. Oh, and a little Soul Calibur 4, simply because it's ridiculous.

I checked out the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo and it's pretty amazing, so eventually when it's a reasonable price I'll probably get that. I wish they'd put that much work into some other superhero games. The Valkyrie Chronicles demo was pretty cool, too.

Mostly I'm all about the Rock Band. Even when it's just me I have so much fun.

I dunno, I grew up on FFIV, it's my favorite "numbered" Final Fantasy and I loved FFIV DS.
Yeah, the remake is fine. It adds lots of stuff to the original game, most of which is actually welcome. The only thing I don't like is Wyte, the Eidolon. You have to do mini-games to raise his stats. Now some of these are fun and easy (like Cecil and Kain's... I have already maxed the score on those) but Rydia's is crazy hard unless you can memorize every fact family between 1 and 10. Making it timed was asinine.

C

Chibibar

I am playing Fallout 3 again. I never really finish the MAIN quests. I did however, finish a tons of side quests :)

I'm playing Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters at the moment. Before the month is out, I'll finally get to start a Silent Hill game. What would the group recommend I start with: Origins or Shattered Memories? PSP only.

I'm playing Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters at the moment. Before the month is out, I'll finally get to start a Silent Hill game. What would the group recommend I start with: Origins or Shattered Memories? PSP only.
Honestly, neither of those are the SH games I'd recommend you be playing. Origins suffers because it has too much combat and the story isn't strong, while Shattered Memories suffers because it has NO combat, only annoying running sections that are intuitive at all. Get Obscure PSP 1 or 2 instead. They follow the survival horror game formula much closer.

Darksiders is like God of War, Devil May Cry, and The Legend of Zelda all had a baby. A baby brought to life by a comic book artist.

That's all I'm going to say about it. *goes back to play*

Seeing as I'm unemployed again, I've been diving back into my back catalogue of PS3/PC games I never finished. I'm just finishing up Resistance: Fall of Man... yes, the FIRST one. I'm very far behind. After that one, I think I'll finally finish Dead Space, Then Metal Gear Solid 4.

Z

Zumbo Prime

I finished Dead Space.

I will never sleep again.
It really isn't that scary, lul. But Epic Tier 3 Engineer FTW.

You can see the games I've been playing in my sig, but here's my favourites:
Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War 2(yes, I know I'm late to the party)
Dead Space
Soon to be Mass Effect 2

I finished Dead Space.

I will never sleep again.
It really isn't that scary, lul. But Epic Tier 3 Engineer FTW.
[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge wimp though. I went through the entire game with my gun held out in front of me, despite the drop in speed and mobility. Who cares if I have to crawl all the way to the exit, I'm shooting me some Necromorphs!

R

RealBigNuke

I just played a little Bayonetta. Probably going to be the first game that I've ever dropped less than two hours in despite loving the gameplay. It's so ugly, tasteless, and incoherent that it hurts. Also the main character is probably about 12 heads tall, holy fuck.

J

JCM

Downloaded games work with normal PSP
Honestly, neither of those are the SH games I'd recommend you be playing. Origins suffers because it has too much combat and the story isn't strong, while Shattered Memories suffers because it has NO combat, only annoying running sections that are intuitive at all. Get Obscure PSP 1 or 2 instead. They follow the survival horror game formula much closer.[/QUOTE]I disagree on Shattered memories, the Wii version. Its the best survival horror game experience, unlike other horror games, where you are a fucking rambo shooting stuff, it brings horror back to the Alone in the Dark puzzles and learning stuff, the psychological mindfuck from Parasite eve to the clock Tower "OMG ITS GONNA FUCKING KILL ME!" feeling.

Maybe I grew up with survival horror before it became shoot-em-ups, but then it will depend on one's taste, if one prefers RE4 and Dead space one will hate it, but if one prefers Clock Tower and Fatal-Frame-style of horror one will love it.

Really, its the best Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 2. Now the PSP version isnt out yet, but if it retains the story, its good enough for me.

Origins is pretty much like Dead Space or RE4, its a shooter with a horror theme and bad camera controls, but its not that bad, and it had some good moments. Now if you have a friend with a PSP, play Obscure the aftermath, its a corny teenage horror game but fun in co-op. Single-player sucks though.

Thanks for the tips, but now I'm confused. Is there a way to dowload and play the other SH games legally on an unbroken PSP? I've always wanted to play 2, but only have time to play games on the portable.

Maybe I grew up with survival horror before it became shoot-em-ups, but then it will depend on one's taste, if one prefers RE4 and Dead space one will hate it, but if one prefers Clock Tower and Fatal-Frame-style of horror one will love it.

Really, its the best Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 2. Now the PSP version isnt out yet, but if it retains the story, its good enough for me.
But that's the thing... I'd have preferred it to be more like Clocktower too. But it's not even that, it's just running in circles until you find the exit, then your safe. Had they given more options for self defense ala Clocktower (as in more one use items and location specific stuns) it might have been more fun, but the great thing about Clocktower was that you were never safe even if you stunned the guy chasing you. In SM, you know that the moment the ice melts that you can basically dick around all you want. There is no suspense ether, as you can always guess when the world is going back to Ice and when it's going to unthaw. It is literally telegraphed every time it happens.

Origins is pretty much like Dead Space or RE4, its a shooter with a horror theme and bad camera controls, but its not that bad, and it had some good moments. Now if you have a friend with a PSP, play Obscure the aftermath, its a corny teenage horror game but fun in co-op. Single-player sucks though.
Origins is less a shooter and more a "throw jars/tvs/filing cabinets at enemies and run past them" game. Monsters respawn, but weapons do not, so there really isn't any reason to waste bullets on anything that's not a boss. I do recommend Obscure: The Aftermath too though. It's probably the closest recreation of 90's horror flicks we'll ever get and it does have some fun and cool moments. Kinda surprising for a French dev team to make a game based on American Horror movies.

Thanks for the tips, but now I'm confused. Is there a way to dowload and play the other SH games legally on an unbroken PSP? I've always wanted to play 2, but only have time to play games on the portable.
No, there is no LEGAL way to do it. The only Silent Hill games you can get for PSP legally are Origins, Shattered Memories, and the Comic book compilation and bonus material thing they released a few years back.

J

JCM

Guess I was so glad that it wasnt another SH:The room/Homecoming or and I liked the whole psychologist angle.
Anyway in Orgins, I just ran around most monsters.
The PSP can only play PS1 games, or PSP games.

Which means its only Silent Hill1, Origin, Shattered Memories and the graphic novels.

Lotro in spare minutes, L4D2 and TF2 still dominate my online time. I finished Mirror's Edge (loved it) and not sure I mentioned beating Star Ocean: First Departure. I'm currently on Persona USA PSP remake and I'm loving the nostalgic feeling it's giving me. (This is the remake I've been waiting for almost as much as Lunar).

Beat Eternal Darkness yesterday. That was an incredible game and I'm very glad Spoony had recommended it back in October.

Nearly finished with Zelda: Phantom Hourglass so I can hopefully move onto Spirit Tracks soon. Just one more temple and then I probably have to go back in to the Ocean Palace (blargh).

SH: The Room was fine, considering it was actually never supposed to be connected to the Silent Hill series when it was first being made. Had they stuck to their original ideas, the game probably would have been much better received. As it is, the feeling of isolation they give you is top notch and the idea of being forcefully locked up in your own apartment until you starve to death it legitimately frightening.

Homecoming would have been better received too, if it hadn't been a Silent Hill game. It's emphasis on action (and the god damn knife, which made every battle simple as hell) kinda killed the mood, though it did make sense in context. However, the moment they started throwing in HUMANS as normal enemies to fight it stopped being Silent Hill by any tangent. The only reason Eddie (SH2) and Walter (SH4) worked as enemies is because they were anomalies in an otherwise nightmarish town. It doesn't work when you have mooks with pipes coming after you.

J

JCM

Slapping the name of a franchise upon a game that is diferent is an easy way to destroy it.

Thats why Im grateful the "NEW extreme Resident Evil game" was renamed Devil May Cry by Capcom. But then they did make the RE:Outbreak/Gun Survivor games.
Lotro in spare minutes, L4D2 and TF2 still dominate my online time. I finished Mirror's Edge (loved it) and not sure I mentioned beating Star Ocean: First Departure. I'm currently on Persona USA PSP remake and I'm loving the nostalgic feeling it's giving me. (This is the remake I've been waiting for almost as much as Lunar).
I love the Shin Megami series and have Shin Megami tensei:Strange Journey on pre-oerder.

If you ever get a hold of a DS/DS emulator, do try Devil Survivor.