What are you playing?

Welp, on the boss now. It might've been cool in a WoW raid boss sort of way if it weren't for the fact that the party AI is utterly ill equipped to deal with the shit.

Think fighting Ragnaros if everyone's best idea to win was stand directly in the way of fire, no matter how much you scream at them and tell them not to.

POORLY THOUGHT OUT. UUUUUUGH, it throws everything away at the end. It could have been so much more but NOOOOO, it's DLC, it doesn't mean anything. Thanks assholes. This is that last bit of Mass Effect 2 DLC all over again. Make a bunch of "choices", same result no matter what.

Legacy.... that's the web based game right? IT was pretty fun, I played that when I was waiting on DA2... until the "demo".

I've been playing Kingdom Rush (web based game), 11 missions in, all 3 stars :)

No, Legacy is the DLC they just put out that adds an actual new area. It was quite good (there's a pretty good puzzle even) until the end where it wastes it's potential by homogenizing every choice you could have made.

And I was playing Kingdom Rush at work the other day, all 3 stars until that last mission. It doesn't fuck around there.

Just did the last mission and finished it the first try. No heart hits neither. I thought the final boss was far too easy. Heck, he didn't even make it halfway down before he got owned.

A few tips

- When there are a lot of S like curves to the map, your best barack upgrades are the Barbarians, upgrade their axes to the max and watch them OWN things (including flyers) from the off path, heck they even act like archers at their best.

- Archery nests are awesome, especially when you max upgrade their roots.

- While the Sorcery tower upgrade may seem interesting, I felt the Arcane tower served me very very well. Heck, both their upgrades are essential (teleport back and zap).

- Paladins are oveerrated, unless you place them where they will be really in the thick of things, not "last line of defense", they are useless otherwise, Barbs are the way to go.

Don't feel like doing the challenges though :/
Added at: 11:08
No, Legacy is the DLC they just put out that adds an actual new area. It was quite good (there's a pretty good puzzle even) until the end where it wastes it's potential by homogenizing every choice you could have made.
AKA like DLC Arrival? :)

Yeah, the boss wasn't the issue, I always get pegged early on by mass fliers. Do you use artillery much?

And it was very much like Arrival, except replace Reapers with Awakened darkspawn.

No, on that specific map, I only used one (fully upgraded though for the necromancers). I'm mostly a mage tower whore with ranger towers backing up at choke points.

If your going to use Artillery, you mainly want it for the Big Bertha's. The ability to nail a group of enemies far off with it's missile is pretty awesome and the Cluster Bomblets will ANNIHILATE hordes of enemies. I never really liked the Tesla all that much.

Yeah, I just did it using entirely ranger nests, big berthas and sorcerers. Didn't even use barracks, just sorcerer elementals.

fade

Staff member
Aha, so the Morrigan decision thing is odd.

I guess technically there's nothing evil about the old gods if they can be cleansed, but the idea that a grey warden could do such a thing and be okay with it is a bit odd, to say the least. I'm also amused that "sexy Morrigan" is actually MORE clothed on the top than she was before she stripped. I did like the morally gray area that Alistair put you in with Loghain, That was a gaming first for me, and very interesting. No good answer, really. I did read the writer's response to apparently an overwhelming outpouring of disbelief that Alistair would leave. It was pretty good. The writer basically said that it was supposed to mean that Alistair had become as corrupt as Loghain because of his need for revenge. Between letting Alistair off Loghain, and then convincing him to sleep with Morrigan to produce an Old God, I feel kind of dirty.

Aha, so the Morrigan decision thing is odd.

I guess technically there's nothing evil about the old gods if they can be cleansed, but the idea that a grey warden could do such a thing and be okay with it is a bit odd, to say the least. I'm also amused that "sexy Morrigan" is actually MORE clothed on the top than she was before she stripped. I did like the morally gray area that Alistair put you in with Loghain, That was a gaming first for me, and very interesting. No good answer, really. I did read the writer's response to apparently an overwhelming outpouring of disbelief that Alistair would leave. It was pretty good. The writer basically said that it was supposed to mean that Alistair had become as corrupt as Loghain because of his need for revenge. Between letting Alistair off Loghain, and then convincing him to sleep with Morrigan to produce an Old God, I feel kind of dirty.
Apparently what's considered the best ending is if you "harden" Alistair during his sister side quest, spare Loghain, and then Alistair will be fine marrying Anora if you persuade him to do so. Then have Loghain be the sacrifice for killing the archdemon.

I've dived back into Dwarf Fortress, giving the newest version a shot. The new features take some getting used to, and I feel like the challenge level has been increased, but that just makes the gameplay even deeper. And I already considered this game the deepest game I've ever seen.

Also, since magma rarely appears near the surface now, I'm trying to rig up magma pump stacks to bring some up from the deepest underground levels. My first few attempts all failed because I couldn't get the various parts to work together right. When I finally got the magma to move upwards, I (almost inevitably) ended up flooding my fortress with molten rock due to another miscalculation.

Frustrating, but watching my dwarves scurry around trying to avoid the flowing lava is still incredibly fun.

Friend came over down since he's been having a lot of problems with his girlfriend and needed to cheer up.

Opened up Dead Nation and played some coop. We loved it. Played it 8 hours stright.

Friend feels better.

Thank you anon.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've just barely started playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I missed playing it back in the day, due to lack of money or lack of a capable PC or something.

This is the first time in a while I'm going in blind playing an old game. When I played Baldur's Gate I read up on characters and quests and spoilers galore. I gamed the system and had a great time doing it. For SW:KOTOR, though, I feel like just experiencing it as it comes. I have no idea about the plot, or the characters, or what items/skills are OP/UP. I'm not going to look up solutions to quests or what options are best for experience points or anything. I think it's going to be fun.

I have no idea about the plot, or the characters, or what items/skills are OP/UP. I'm not going to look up solutions to quests or what options are best for experience points or anything. I think it's going to be fun.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's just sad when the dog dies at the end.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's just sad when the dog dies at the end.
It's funny, my family has a running gag where the fake-spoiler ending is "everyone dies at the end in a horrible lightsaber accident". For a Hallmark Christmas movie (like my sister loves) that's absurd, but in this case...

fade

Staff member
I bought Marvel: Ultimate Alliance in my continuing quest to play the good older games. I'm not sure how I feel about it so far. The game kind of seems to be on autopilot. How come Thor, Wolverine, Spidey, and Cap all seem to hit just as hard as one another? Last I checked, Spidey was Class 10, and Thor Class 100, yet a guy with no superpowers and one with only very mild superhuman strength mostly due to increased skeletal mass seem to hit just as hard.

I bought Marvel: Ultimate Alliance in my continuing quest to play the good older games. I'm not sure how I feel about it so far. The game kind of seems to be on autopilot. How come Thor, Wolverine, Spidey, and Cap all seem to hit just as hard as one another? Last I checked, Spidey was Class 10, and Thor Class 100, yet a guy with no superpowers and one with only very mild superhuman strength mostly due to increased skeletal mass seem to hit just as hard.
Don't go bringing logic into this. Just smack things around and enjoy the pretty colors. :p

I've been playing the HOMM 6 beta too.

For the most part, I like it so far, but something seems off. I'm not sure what it is yet.

Finished Fallout 3 vanilla (not Broken Steel)

Technically I did it twice. I sent Fawkes into the purifier chamber and it exploded, so I assumed that's just how it went. Then I tried loading and I was back at the auto-save, confused, wondering if I'd missed something... yes, I missed that we all DIED. It wasn't clear to me from the brief as hell epilogue, but I certainly knew when I did it right. Apparently I'd taken too long finding the air lock cycler.

I was playing HOMM 6 Beta, but my router got overloaded and my connection dropped, meaning I got kicked from the game.. fucking Ubisoft.
Yeah, that's annoying, but you can just play offline from the start if you want... you just can't save if you do... that's what i did while the beta was on hiatus (wanted to finish the barb campaign map).

I've been playing the HOMM 6 beta too.

For the most part, I like it so far, but something seems off. I'm not sure what it is yet.
They changed a lot of the underlying mechanics... and while they're similar, one can feel the difference...

BTW, there's a demo out for it, here's a description of what it contains: http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=1313680173 (also link to where you can get it, including torrent in the user comments), if anyone's interested.

I like the game though.

I kinda miss the old city screen. But overall it all seems to be improved somewhat (except for minor bugs of course).

It feels more heroes-y then H5, that's for sure... but i liked 5's skill tree concept more (some of the specifics could have used work).

First, yes, I liked the old city screen. I barely look at the new one.

I liked the old unit screens too.

Im unsure how I feel about the resource changes. On one hand, fewer resources means less running around to find that damned gem pond, but on the other hand I feel the lack of resource diversity also took something away from the game.

It is interesting how T1 units no longer are 2-3HP flies to be swatted down. I feel most of my units are beefier and combat is generally longer. I can't ever have a lot of harpies or cerberus because the AI always focuses fires them.

Healing though...hrm. In old Heroes games, one of the perks of the Necro city was that your units could be resurrected through necromancy or at least, units could be turned into lower tier skeletons. Now, however, healing can resurrect living units instead of simply healing their remaining HP and it's gotten to the point where I feel kind of like a dumbass for not speccing into Earth and rejuvenation in order to keep attrition from eating away at my army. In older games, Resurrection for living units was a high tier spell. Now it seems too easy to bring your units back.

fade

Staff member
Finished Fallout 3 vanilla (not Broken Steel)

Technically I did it twice. I sent Fawkes into the purifier chamber and it exploded, so I assumed that's just how it went. Then I tried loading and I was back at the auto-save, confused, wondering if I'd missed something... yes, I missed that we all DIED. It wasn't clear to me from the brief as hell epilogue, but I certainly knew when I did it right. Apparently I'd taken too long finding the air lock cycler.
I had almost an identical experience. That thing is annoyingly hard to find.

Played some MvC3, reading up on the mechanics, learning how to actually play. I've been trying to get the hang of arial exchanges that's been fun.