What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Still lots of League of Legends. Gangplank... so... damn... fun...

Also, Tropico 4. So far it seems to be an iterative improvement/evolutionary streamlining of Tropico 3. It still uses the same engine, but the UI is improved and there's a more robust single player campaign so you aren't left entirely on your own in the sandbox. Also, some RPGish-development for your Presidente over the course of several missions in the campagin.

So you admit the shortcomings as well? I expect a full report.
I admitted numerous shortcomings, but since watching Julie play parts I've already done, and none of the differences mattering, I've become dejected about finishing it, even though I liked my character and the ally characters. I will finish it at some point.

That's what infuriates me most about Dragon Age 2, it has some genuinely good characters and the decent beginnings of a story but the entire thing is marred by rush-jobs, no-jobs or by decisions made by corporate.

Long list brought about because of this thread:

Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Torchlight
Medieval 2: Total War (+ Expansion)
Diablo 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Since they added Hardcore CTF back in finally...fuckers)
NetFlix: The Game (Randomly flip through movies finding something decent to watch; not finding anything and popping in random Bluray instead)

Catherine was identical; it's the same freak-out both ways. The endings are certainly different; we watched them on Youtube and they were batshit insane.

Playing...
Fallout 3: Getting through the last couple pieces of the DLC.
Red Dead Redemption: Into Blackwater. I really hated the mountain-climbing.
Persona 3: On the final month. I've loved this game despite all the grinding; I'll be sad when it's over. I don't think I'll be playing again though; I've got 90 hours on this thing.

Demos...
El Shaddai: I could see getting into this. It has an odd Okami + God of War feeling. It didn't really grab me from the demo, but my wife is going nuts over it. I'm hoping I can convince her to play it for herself rather than having me entertain her with it.
Space Marine: I was surprised how much this game expected of me. I went in thinking "mindless hack and slash", but no, they want you thinking about when you reload, and what points to do what attacks, and dodging. On the one hand, the melee makes me want it as a console game, on the other hand, I think it'd be a blast on the PC with five-player co-op. So now I'll have to inner-debate whether I buy this soon for console and play by myself (since I have no headset) or wait to have a good PC where I can enjoy multi-player, but not really have time for it since then my wife and I will be playing Borderlands and MMOs together.

I loved Persona 1, 2 and 2 1/2. Should I finally get into Persona 3? If so how many versions of the game are there?

I have a Ps2, Ps3 and PSP.

It has been a really long time since I played such an immersive game.The loading times put me a little of though.I die quite a lot since I am trying to be as Non-Leathal as possible and having to wait up to 30 seconds is hard.

Just finished Mass Effect 1. (Yes, I'm a little behind the times).

If there was an Oscar for computer games, this one deserves it. Wow. I can't recall the last time I actually got goosebumps from a computer game. Well done Bioware, well done.

On to Mass Effect 2.

I loved Persona 1, 2 and 2 1/2. Should I finally get into Persona 3? If so how many versions of the game are there?

I have a Ps2, Ps3 and PSP.
The PSP version was the last one to come out and has a female protagonist as "hard mode" for the Social Links (i.e. they won't wait around for you to pay attention to them). It also has the FES content--pretty much has everything from the different versions. It's also streamlined so that you can use a cursor to select where to go in places; you only walk around with your character in dungeon areas. It's a lot of grinding at times though--I don't know if that's different or the same as other Personas, not having played them.

Also: high schoolers shoot themselves in the head to summon personas.

The PSP version was the last one to come out and has a female protagonist as "hard mode" for the Social Links (i.e. they won't wait around for you to pay attention to them). It also has the FES content--pretty much has everything from the different versions. It's also streamlined so that you can use a cursor to select where to go in places; you only walk around with your character in dungeon areas. It's a lot of grinding at times though--I don't know if that's different or the same as other Personas, not having played them.

Also: high schoolers shoot themselves in the head to summon personas.
However, and this is important, the PSP version doesn't have the extra campaign "The Answer" that Persona 3 FES had. As this finishes up the plot, it's probably more important than the extras that P3P has. I'd get Persona 3 FES.

Also, be aware that Persona 3 plays differently that Persona 1 and 2. It's a more traditional Turn based deal.

However, and this is important, the PSP version doesn't have the extra campaign "The Answer" that Persona 3 FES had. As this finishes up the plot, it's probably more important than the extras that P3P has. I'd get Persona 3 FES.

Also, be aware that Persona 3 plays differently that Persona 1 and 2. It's a more traditional Turn based deal.
That, and if one is a fan of anime cutscenes, only the most crucial have been kept for the PSP version; others are ditched for descriptions of actions within the dialogue.

That said, it's a game of enough length that if I didn't have it on a handheld, I'd likely not be able to finish it. But that's just me.

The handheld part is a pretty big selling point for me, but missing an entire campaign of plot and anime cut scenes? I might go console for that.

The handheld part is a pretty big selling point for me, but missing an entire campaign of plot and anime cut scenes? I might go console for that.
Then you'll want Persona 3: FES.

The handheld was so crucial for me, I've passed up Persona 4 so far. Some Japanese magazine may be announcing a portable version soon though. I may get Persona 2, but I hear that's only half of that game.

Holy crap, the Answer is supposed 30 hours long?! Shit, I wonder how much of the story I'll be missing. Well, gotta finish the main game first then see about a let's play or wiki or something.

Then you'll want Persona 3: FES.

The handheld was so crucial for me, I've passed up Persona 4 so far. Some Japanese magazine may be announcing a portable version soon though. I may get Persona 2, but I hear that's only half of that game.

Holy crap, the Answer is supposed 30 hours long?! Shit, I wonder how much of the story I'll be missing. Well, gotta finish the main game first then see about a let's play or wiki or something.
Well this page recently went up... considering that the bright yellow is direct from Persona 4, it's likely they are announcing an updated version of Persona 4 for ether the 3DS or PSP Vita. They also announced the Persona 4 anime for this fall...

As for The Answer... yeah, it's a lengthy campaign and it's made even longer because it's Hard Mode and you can't access the Persona Compendium (so it's hard to raise truly powerful Persona). However, it covers a lot of plot from before the events of the game, as well as the true fate of Minato Arisato (the player) after the events of the main game.

Should I feel bad that I've never played any of the Persona games? That's a bit of gaming that just completely passed me by.
No? I can't speak for the other games, but I've really enjoyed Persona 3. I've been playing it for over a year now, about the length of time that goes by in the game, so I feel like I've really gotten to know the characters and I'm happy just seeing them in promo shots and such. It might not be your thing though.
Added at: 21:53
Well this page recently went up... considering that the bright yellow is direct from Persona 4, it's likely they are announcing an updated version of Persona 4 for ether the 3DS or PSP Vita.
Crossing my fingers for 3DS, since I also wanna get Devil Survivor Overcocked for that.

Just played the Space Marine demo. I kind of hate that whole Space Marines don't take cover shit the developers have spouted. That's not even something that's consistent in your own games. Anyways, it's kind of fun. The assault pack part was the highlight.

Just finished Mass Effect 1. (Yes, I'm a little behind the times).

If there was an Oscar for computer games, this one deserves it. Wow. I can't recall the last time I actually got goosebumps from a computer game. Well done Bioware, well done.

On to Mass Effect 2.
Man, you'll love the second game.

--------------

Quick question: I keep hearing great things about Deus Ex 2. Is it necessary to have played the first game in order to understand the second? Or, like, would I appreciate the second more if I had played the first?

I have the original on Steam, I just never tried it since I heard its look it very dated.

Just curious.

I don't think it is necessary at all to have played the first game.

Here and there, you'll miss a reference or some backstory. But Deus EX: HR is a great game whether you catch those or not.

Man, you'll love the second game.
I'd love it more if it wasn't buggy as hell. I've lost count the number of times I got hung up on something, or just started floating away. At least the only bug in ME1 was the overheat bug (For the most part)

I REALLY need to play ME2.... port my Sheg Shep over.

If I could only pull myself away from online games with no real progression....