"What are you reading?" thread.

Currently reading Dreadnought by Cherie Priest. On occasion she makes prose choices I find a little iffy, but overall I've enjoyed this so far, and Boneshaker before it. The advertising for it is basically that it's a steam-punk driven extension of the American Civil War, and while that's certainly the setting, it's really about a nurse trying to find what home is after her husband's death, and getting roped into different Civil War situations as she goes.

I'm so glad Cherie Priest made the main character a nurse. The first book's protagonist was essentially a housewife who'd had a rough past and so she reacted to all the wounds and death with the panic and upsetting nature you'd expect from someone not used to it. Mercy's been doing hospital work for a long time and so even though she's rattled at times, she's on the job and most comfortable when she's got a bloody mess in her hands that needs patching up. I am so grateful the author gave us someone who can just handle this shit so we don't have to waste time with her coping and can instead keep moving along, while at the same time being impressed with her resolve.

Then there's the little hints harkening back to Boneshaker's "zombie" problem and maybe it's just me, but what's going on with them in this book is far creepier and more insidious than the plight with them in the first novel.

If you choose to read Dreadnought, do not read the back of the book. I didn't until I was halfway through, and it pretty much gave away a large chunk of what I'd already read. Better to discover those things in reading than have the back cover summary catch you up to page 200 before you open the book.
Didn't know this was out yet. TO THE LIBRARY!

Didn't know this was out yet. TO THE LIBRARY!
Dreadnought's been out for over a year. Ganymede (third book if you don't count the ebook Clementine) just came out this September, so keep an eye out for that too. It's in my closet, but I have some other books ahead in the queue, like Gunnerkrigg Court vol. 1, Song of Ice and Fire 3, and some more Hellboy/BRPD trades.

P

Philosopher B.

Just finished Stephen King's On Writing. I laughed out loud at the bit about the farting babysitter. Overall, I liked its honesty and the nut-and-bolts approach of the latter half of the book.

Reading "Out of Oz" (4th book of the Wicked series) at bedtime, and listening to the audio book of Alloy of Law while trying to finish my parent's Christmas present before December. Yes it will take me that long, and I started at the beginning of October. -_- I've been reading through the classic Oz stories too, and basically wanting to smack Dorothy and Ozma through them all, so Maguire's portrayal of Dorothy in "Out of Oz" made me laugh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just started the kingkiller chronicle. It's got an interesting hook so far, but it's just the beginning... will see how it turns out.

Decided to read The Hunger Games, read through the first book in about 3 hours. I'm really excited about where the next 2 books can go and hope they don't let me down.

The first Dexter book was all around good, though the ending was disappointing. It felt kind of last minute.

Now I'm on to Dune.

Finished: Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Started: Time Travelers Strictly Cash - Spider Robinson

--Patrick
EDIT: 12/10, corrected Dan's last name.

Finished Zombies: The Recent Dead last week. Like the other two anthologies of zombie short stories I've read, it was pretty bad. But, it was actually a bit better than those two (It had several stories I had read before in one or both of those, actually). And it was only $5 and I knew what I was getting into. So it was alright, I guess.

I decided to start re-reading the Lord of the Rings, as I found a set identical to the one I had in highschool that got ruined when my roof leaked for $3 a book. Reading through Fellowship of the Ring now. I forgot just how much they really did change for the first film.

Just finished reading "Inheritance" by Chris Paolini finishing out his series that started with Eragon. I was pleased with the conclusion and look forward to seeing how his career progresses from here.

Picked up Room by Emma Donoghue yesterday. I'd never heard of it until I saw it in the bookstore last night. Apparently it won Best Book Of The Year by New York Times.
Anyway, I've been hooked since the first sentence and I'm almost finished! But while the first sentence had me hooked, it was still a little tough to start reading it's through the perspective of a 5 year old. The grammar is a little weird because of that, but the author does an amazing job of telling the story as a child.

Finished: Time Travelers Strictly Cash - Spider Robinson
Started: Mindkiller - Spider Robinson

One of the short stories in TTSC became the opening chapter of Mindkiller, and now I want to see how the rest of the story pans out.

--Patrick

Finished two books this past week, Inheritance by Chris Paolini and Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey.

Started Scholar by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Just finished: The White Tiger-Aravind Adiga

Looking for: A ginormous book that will help eat up two days as I travel home. Any suggestions?

GasBandit

Staff member
Just finished the two books of the Kingkiller Chronicle... Probably the most engaging books I've read in a long time. Only problem? Only two of the three books are out... and this author takes FOUR YEARS between books. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Reading the 2nd set of the Percy Jackson series, "Heroes of Olympus" or w/e, because my brother in law recommended them.

Good Omens (though it may only take you a day and a half to read).

--Patrick
I'll have to read it another time. I can't buy it on kobo. :(

Thinking of getting "Shadowmarch" book by Tad Williams. It looks to be a good plane ride killer at the very least.

Evolutions Darling. After reading through Uglies and Midnighters... it's rather more... erotic than I was expecting. But in a weird way. Westerfeld has some weird robot tentacle fetishes apparently.

Just finished the two books of the Kingkiller Chronicle... Probably the most engaging books I've read in a long time. Only problem? Only two of the three books are out... and this author takes FOUR YEARS between books. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU....
I haven't read the second one yet. I'm glad to hear its as engaging as the first one was. I'm borrowing it from my brother when I see him for our family Christmas.

I also got a friend of mine to buy them for her dad for Christmas cause he's a Harry Potter fan and has read all of them. I told her this series was like "Harry Potter for adults" and she was like "Hey, my dad's an adult!"

Just finishing up re-reading The Two Towers. What ever will I read next?

I told her this series was like "Harry Potter for adults" and she was like "Hey, my dad's an adult!"
That's hilarious.

Currently reading through Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 1 and I'm loving it. I have to keep reminding myself that sudden narrative jerks between pages are due to the nature of it being a webcomic and that despite how well designed this book is, it'll still a collected webcomic and isn't going to perfectly flow page to page (nor should it). But it's imaginative, cute, and intriguing. I'm glad I know very little about what's currently going on in GK besides "Antimony and Kat are friends" so I'm not waiting for certain story turns.

Sadly, Vol. 2 seems like it's never gonna get reprinted, so I'll have to read that one on the site archives. Eventually, I'll be caught up.

I'll have to read it another time. I can't buy it on kobo. :(

Thinking of getting "Shadowmarch" book by Tad Williams. It looks to be a good plane ride killer at the very least.

It's not bad, but I don't know that it's worth picking up. If you've read his other stuff, I might suggest giving it a pass. I read the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy along with his Otherland series, and felt Shadowmarch suffered in comparison. Well, then again, if it's just to kill time on a plane, there are worse options.

As an aside to reading the newest Modesitt book, I've started on Vol 3 of the Bloom County Library. This edition has my all time favorite Sunday strip, it's an ad spoof about getting the Banana 6000 self-mobile computer and how if you don't get it for your kids they might end up playing bass in a heavy-metal band like Gene Simmons.

"The Return of the King," maybe? Or you might try to track down a copy of "Bored of the Rings."

--Patrick
I was being sarcastic. Obviously it will be Return of the King.
After that I'll be borrowing my brother's copy of the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicle. After that I don't really have anything particular in mind. What's Bored of the Rings?