Export thread

What, no Pokemon Go thread?

Limit: 500

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Here are some of my favorite (though not necessarily highest CP) pokemon I've captured.

phil

phil

So I got a pidgy with a dragon attack and I guess I should sacrifice all my other ones to it, right? Or just feed the one that's already strongest?

Dei

Dei

No Pidgey, you can't have my cupcakes.

phil

phil

Basically gonna feed him every ratatatata that I see until he's in the top percentile
Screenshot_2016-07-11-11-51-12.png

And this might be the face of your new god unless I send him to the candy factory and feed him to a slightly better one.
Screenshot_2016-07-11-11-50-23.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

As someone that lives in rural Florida... We ain't got shit out here to catch.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As someone that lives in rural Florida... We ain't got shit out here to catch.
I live in rural Virginia..my town is .93 (that's less than 1, yo) square miles in size, and has like 1200 people. I'm still catching stuff.

Though granted, a lot of that stuff is pidgeys and rattatas

Shakey

Shakey

I live in rural Virginia..my town is .93 (that's less than 1, yo) square miles in size, and has like 1200 people. I'm still catching stuff.

Though granted, a lot of that stuff is pidgeys and rattatas
I think he means truly rural, as in middle of nowhere. I'm in the same boat. Nothing at all near my house. I can only play it when I'm in town.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think he means truly rural, as in middle of nowhere. I'm in the same boat. Nothing at all near my house. I can only play it when I'm in town.
This. I live in woods.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Bah..that should bewhere the most wild pokemon are :)

Shakey

Shakey

Bah..that should bewhere the most wild pokemon are :)
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. It's built on ingress though, which is an urban exploration game. I really hope they do expand it to rural areas. It would be fun to play it on hiking trails or in the woods.

GasBandit

GasBandit

MindDetective

MindDetective

I am never going be competitive with this game...

Jay

Jay

As per multiple report over the weekend this game causes.

wbgnF1z.gif

Dei

Dei

Cubone wants French fries

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

So for someone who is out of the loop...This is an app on your android phone that allows Pokemon to show up in camera mode and then you catch them, yes? But you don't battle them or anything?

And there's trespassing involved, potentially?

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's a separate app that uses the camera, and there is fighting (but don't ask me, I'm only level 4 and apparently you can't battle 'till level 5?). You walk around looking for points of interest, where you can pick up pokéballs and assorted stuff, and occasionally you'll get a signal there's a pokemon nearby....which you then go into the camera AR whatever version to try and catch.

Shakey

Shakey

You can battle them, but only at gyms I believe. There shouldn't be any trespassing, unless you consider wandering around in public parking lots trespassing.

Some businesses have even caught on and will toss out pokemon lures to get people to spend time there.

Bubble181

Bubble181

There shouldn't be any trespassing, unless you consider wandering around in public parking lots trespassing.
I just walked around for about an hour in my neighborhood, and saw one PoI in a closed-off park, one in a pay-to-enter part of the subway. And a few of the pokemon I saw were too far off the street into private property to reach from public ground. I can easily see this leading to people going into yards, hopping fences, whatever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've also seen pictures of people finding pokemon inside houses or in a hospital room, and stories about kids knocking on doors to ask if they can go catch the pokemon in the homowner's backyard.

Dave

Dave

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dave

Dave

It's actually the most interested I've been in Pokemon, but think it would be a tad weird for a 50 year old due going about town looking for digital monsters. No, not THOSE digital monsters!

BErt

So instead of roaming all over town like a weirdo just go to the Pokestop nearest to you and set down some incense. Nothing weird about a 50 year old dude hanging out in a public place and setting out "lures" to attract activity to him, right?

...also, what's the deal with eggs, can you only purchase them, or can you find them at Pokestops and such? I haven't gotten out with it too often yet. This would finally come out when Yoshi doesn't feel like walking so much anymore. :(

Bubble181

Bubble181

So instead of roaming all over town like a weirdo just go to the Pokestop nearest to you and set down some incense. Nothing weird about a 50 year old dude hanging out in a public place and setting out "lures" to attract activity to him, right?
Incense follows you around, lures stay in place....Though I don't know how effective Incense is. And it'll only give you the normal types for the area.

BErt

im sorry i got the terminology wrong in my joke.

Shakey

Shakey

You can get eggs at stops.

evilmike

evilmike

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've also seen pictures of people finding pokemon inside houses or in a hospital room, and stories about kids knocking on doors to ask if they can go catch the pokemon in the homowner's backyard.
On the map, you have a visual animated radius that you can catch pokemon in.

When sitting in my desk, near the front door, my radius covers the neighbors on either side, and the park across the street.

You should never have to ask to go in someone's back yard to catch pokemon unless their back yard is yuuuuge[DOUBLEPOST=1468271065,1468270939][/DOUBLEPOST]
...also, what's the deal with eggs, can you only purchase them, or can you find them at Pokestops and such? I haven't gotten out with it too often yet. This would finally come out when Yoshi doesn't feel like walking so much anymore. :(
2 kinds of eggs in the game: Lucky eggs, which give a 2x experience boost for 30 minutes, and pokeon eggs, which hatch. You can buy lucky eggs (though I've also gotten them occasionally when leveling up), and you get pokemon eggs from pokestops.[DOUBLEPOST=1468271133][/DOUBLEPOST]
Incense follows you around, lures stay in place....Though I don't know how effective Incense is. And it'll only give you the normal types for the area.
Incense seems to give you a "free" pokemon (one that isn't on the map for everyone to see) every 3-5 mins.[DOUBLEPOST=1468271417][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, so I'm playing team mystic (blue) and every gym in my town was blue.
Woke up from my nap to see this:

Oh, it's on bitches. Don't you dare bring that yellow shit to my neighborhood.

:D

phil

phil

So will my pokemon get batter if I fight a dude or only from stuffing candy down their dumb faces?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

you can't fight people. Only gyms. This does not improve your pokemon, but does give you xp.

If you are the same team as the gym, you can put a pokemon in the gym if there's room. This gives you a daily coin/stardust award. The stardust *can* be used to improve your pokemon, so I guess this is an indirect benefit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pokemon Go on iOS may give the game complete access to your Google account.

"Not only can the app read your data, inbox, calendar events, and search history, it can also modify it."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There are several guys I work with ages 30-50 loosing their shit, trying to capture Pokemon in my cubicle.

Dei

Dei

On the map, you have a visual animated radius that you can catch pokemon in.

When sitting in my desk, near the front door, my radius covers the neighbors on either side, and the park across the street.

You should never have to ask to go in someone's back yard to catch pokemon unless their back yard is yuuuuge[DOUBLEPOST=1468271065,1468270939][/DOUBLEPOST]

2 kinds of eggs in the game: Lucky eggs, which give a 2x experience boost for 30 minutes, and pokeon eggs, which hatch. You can buy lucky eggs (though I've also gotten them occasionally when leveling up), and you get pokemon eggs from pokestops.[DOUBLEPOST=1468271133][/DOUBLEPOST]

Incense seems to give you a "free" pokemon (one that isn't on the map for everyone to see) every 3-5 mins.[DOUBLEPOST=1468271417][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, so I'm playing team mystic (blue) and every gym in my town was blue.
Woke up from my nap to see this:

Oh, it's on bitches. Don't you dare bring that yellow shit to my neighborhood.

Listen shitlord, Team Instinct is the ONLY team

Shakey

Shakey

:thumbsdown:

MindDetective

MindDetective

:thumbsup:

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1468274276,1468274235][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1468274401][/DOUBLEPOST]

MindDetective

MindDetective

GasBandit said:
Excellent.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dei

Dei

But it is pop.

Dei

Dei

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

BErt

Someone tell Alaska to pick a side

Dei

Dei

And lest you say the map is old, the survey site is still active.[DOUBLEPOST=1468276679,1468276613][/DOUBLEPOST]WTF is other anyways. Fountain drink? I mean, what is that barbarism about?

phil

phil

This is what the south is going to rise again for.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And lest you say the map is old, the survey site is still active.[DOUBLEPOST=1468276679,1468276613][/DOUBLEPOST]WTF is other anyways. Fountain drink? I mean, what is that barbarism about?
Soft Drink, cola, and the ever bastardized "Soda Pop."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Soft Drink, cola, and the ever bastardized "Soda Pop."
I know at least one heretic that calls all soft drinks "Pepsi"

Terrik

Terrik

I still remember that ol' phrase every time I visited family in Western P.A.

"Yinz want a pop"?

*shudder*

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

GasBandit

GasBandit

I still remember that ol' phrase every time I visited family in Western P.A.

"Yinz want a pop"?

*shudder*
Down here, it's "Y'all wanna coke?"

"Sure. What kinds ya got?"

"Regular, diet, sprite, Dr Pepper, and root beer."

"I'll have a Dr Pepper."

BErt

Down here, it's "Y'all wanna coke?"

"Sure. What kinds ya got?"

"Regular, diet, sprite, Dr Pepper, and root beer."

"I'll have a Dr Pepper."
This is lawless and awful

So for people who may have been more competitive in the GB games than I, what advantage, if any do I have by having a Jynx with a fairy power as opposed to one with an ice and psychic power?

Dave

Dave

Moot point. My phone won't play it. The app isn't even available for me. So I guess I'll watch you guys have some fun.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Took my wife out to eat. Came back to 3 teens sitting in the stage that serves as the now yellow gym.

My wife and I sat at a park table, and I proceeded to destroy the gym. Put my 1190 vaporeon in there. My wife sticks her 850-ish flareon in right behind me.

Hear the kids start screaming.

"WTF? Someone just took the gym! They're right here somewhere! Hey Gregwhistler!"

Me and my wife raise our hands. They all groan, cause we're like old. I wave "Have a nice day fellas!" and and we start walking back to the house. Hear a screech.

"I can't take it back!"

:rofl:

That's what life's all about ;)

BErt

That's pretty great. On my way home I found a Catholic Church that had a Yellow Gym and two Stops, both with active lures. So I pull in and start getting everything I can. Meanwhile there is another car parked there. A few cyclists stop by here and there, but it's pretty much just me and this silver car. Between hitting the spots and grabbing stray Pokemon, I noticed that the gym turned from yellow to red. Suddenly I hear "NOOOO! GO! GO AWAY!"

As soon as the gym had turned red, a black suv with tinted windows pulled into the lot, turned it back to yellow, and then left. The people in the silver car were not pleased.

Dave

Dave

This is what the south is going to rise again for.
I thought it was only for their sisters.

Celt Z

Celt Z

While it's not a Poke-gym or a Pokestop, my actual gym is crawling with Pokemon. I snapped a few pics during my morning workout:
eeveeeliptical.jpg pidgeytreadmill.jpg krabbyhall.jpg

Meanwhile, I've been letting my almost-4-year-old name any Pokemon we catch together, which is why I have
Screenshot_2016-07-11-22-04-55-1.png Screenshot_2016-07-11-22-05-15-1-1.png Screenshot_2016-07-11-22-05-31-1-1.png Screenshot_2016-07-11-22-05-40-1-1.png Screenshot_2016-07-11-22-05-51-1-1.png

BErt

Dontchu mess with Tuddle

PatrThom

PatrThom

pokeuhoh.png

source

I now really, really hope someone hacks the system or something to add a MissingNo.
Or, you know, just 'shops it into one of the AR shots.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

There's a person on my Facebook friends list who spent all day yesterday whining about how people were flooding her feed with Pokemon stuff. Now she has spent all night doing nothing but flooding her own Facebook with things that essentially say that adults who play it are losers. I can't wait until she spams 100 pictures of her dog in the span of a few minutes again, but first I must think of something pithy to say. :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

As someone who lives in a country where Pokemon Go hasn't been released yet, please imagine me shaking my fist at all of you.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I can't wait until she spams 100 pictures of her dog in the span of a few minutes again, but first I must think of something pithy to say. :p
Here you go...

Bubble181

Bubble181

As someone who lives in a country where Pokemon Go hasn't been released yet, please imagine me shaking my fist at all of you.
Hasn't been released here either, but the apk can be found easily and the publishers have pretty much said "sure, go for it" since it's free with micro transactions anyway.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hasn't been released here either, but the apk can be found easily and the publishers have pretty much said "sure, go for it" since it's free with micro transactions anyway.
But as far as I know, even if you install the apk, the world still isn't populated with Pokemon.

Bubble181

Bubble181

But as far as I know, even if you install the apk, the world still isn't populated with Pokemon.
It most certainly is. Or they've sneakily released it in Belgium without my knowledge :p[DOUBLEPOST=1468314910,1468314780][/DOUBLEPOST]
Y'know, I don't understand that. I mean, I've got 5 gyms within half a mile and a quick count just looking around on the map without moving revealed easily upwards of 30 pokestops within about the same distance. How's saying "it's fairly remote" a good thing? :p #citylife #plentyofpokestops #haventevengonetocampusyet :foreveralone:

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I have never been interested in Pokémon before this. I downloaded it just to see what the hype was all about and now find that I'm quite enjoying it. My new neighborhood has a pretty good amount of gyms and stops all pretty close and I was blown away by how many people I see just walking around staring at their phones and huddling around spots I recognize as being in the game. It's almost just as much fun spotting the players as it is playing.

The one disappointment for me is that apparently my phone can't use the AR mode so I can only catch the Pokémon with the artificial background.....

Well, maybe I need a new phone anyway......

bhamv3

bhamv3

It most certainly is. Or they've sneakily released it in Belgium without my knowledge :p
Then they just hate Taiwan, I guess. :(

Bubble181

Bubble181

Then they just hate Taiwan, I guess. :(
I didn't find any Pokemon until I allowed it complete and unrestricted access to....well, pretty much everything. Even if you turn the AR off it still needs camera access, for some reason, for example, and GPS, and whatever, and the GPS turned on... Otherwise, yeah, they might just hate you (or the Pokemons were already in place in Europe because we were supposed to have gone live already but the roll-out was suspended, while Taiwan might've been slated for a later release anyway?)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Grumpy pokemon.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Booooooo! ;)

I haven't played Pokemon since Silver was released, but I love this new game. It's simple, don't have to buy a new handheld, and it's something I can do with my son anywhere, which makes mundane tasks far more entertaining (like yesterday, when we had to run a ton of errands, which would usually result in a cranky kid. But not with the possibility of finding new Pokemon!) But the sheer amount of people I run into playing this game astounds me. I can't go anywhere without running into someone playing. At the coffee shop, a whole bunch on my bike ride last night, the Catholic Church next to our house... We went to Red Bank this Sunday for dinner, and every street and park was swarming with people playing the game! I've never seen that many people unless there was a street fair. This also confused and annoyed some elderly and/or baby boomers who didn't know what was going on. (I heard two BB's in front of me complaining about "Everyone's on their phones now! No one is appreciating the world around them!")

And as a side note, Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash is a Pokegym, as well as Yestercades up the street, which should surprise no one.

Dave

Dave

My daughter and her boyfriend play. Apparently there's a couple gyms real close to where we live. They went out last night and met a nerdy teenage guy who was just kind of lurking. He thought that he'd be made fun of and my daughter just said, "The Evee?" His face lit up.

Another guy I know just stays in his van and drives slowly past the places. Until I pointed it out he didn't realize that might seem kind of creepy, like he's not just here for the Pokemon.

Denbrought

Denbrought

This game's popularity is one of the best chances for our Dennou Coil future to come true.

The pokeymans near my house suck, just Pidgey/Spearrow/Caterpie/Ratata over and over D: I just want a Beedrill dangit.

Dave

Dave

Something I think is funny (in a tragic kind of way). A buddy of mine had a start-up and they designed a game exactly like this with a super hero/villain theme. You went places and could attack or defend the locations. Didn't do well. Ahead of his time. Yes, it was before Niantic.

Anyway, here's a heartwarming story.

Bubble181

Bubble181

strawman

strawman

I had to log into my account almost every time I turned it on, and I chose google for it. I have google two factor authentication, and the app doesn't save cookies, so every login sequence was username, enter, password, enter, go to google auth app, remember number, go to pokemon app enter auth number, enter, and then it would finally work. If I only had to do it once a week it wouldn't bother me, but several times a day was too much. Then the news about how they mismanaged permissions for google.

So I started a regular account, much nicer, just a username and password. Also got pikachu as my first catch (walk away from the starter group several times and eventually the starter group includes pikachu). Just to make my kids jealous.

I doubt I'll play it much, but it's nice to have something to hand off to a kid once in awhile.

Dei

Dei

Hahahaha

My weekly Fitbit update

Shakey

Shakey

Any idea what the blue halo around some pokemon means?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Any idea what the blue halo around some pokemon means?
Can you take a screenshot?

Shakey

Shakey

Can you take a screenshot?
Sure can.
Screenshot_20160712-100416.png

strawman

strawman

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/273028/what-is-the-blue-aura-around-my-pokemon

Denotes pokey mans you've captured recently. Confers no benefits or status, probably to help you decide what to do with them.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/273028/what-is-the-blue-aura-around-my-pokemon

Denotes pokey mans you've captured recently. Confers no benefits or status, probably to help you decide what to do with them.
Ninjad :)

"recently" means "in the last 24 hours"

Shakey

Shakey

That's what I thought, but I swear I've had some of those longer than that.

strawman

strawman

That's what I thought, but I swear I've had some of those longer than that.
I'd attribute that to caching and server delays.

Dei

Dei

phil

phil

I joined team yellow and my bellsprout got the shit kicked out of him by a weird lady in blackface and a wig. But that was a yellow gym so I was surprised I could try to fight there.[DOUBLEPOST=1468343073,1468342637][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, also I got to work like 5 minutes early so I could stop at the pokestop at the far end of the parking lot. Keep in mind it's like 4:50am and I'm just idle outside a peiwei. A cop passes by and then follows me as I drive back over to my starbucks 'cause my manager showed up to open the store. He rolled down his window when I got out of my car and asked why I was parked over on the far side for a bit but laughed when I explained it.

BErt

image1.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I joined team yellow and my bellsprout got the shit kicked out of him by a weird lady in blackface and a wig. But that was a yellow gym so I was surprised I could try to fight there.
Gyms are controlled by "prestige". The higher the prestige, the higher level the gym. A gym can hold 1 pokemon for every level. A level 2 gym can hold 2 pokemon. A level 6 gym can hold six.

When you attack an enemy gym, you can choose 6 pokemon to attack with and you lower the prestige level if you fight well. This will eventually lower the level of the gym and kick out the weakest pokemon. Lower it enough and it becomes "neutral" and you can put one of yours in there to take it over. You also get decent experience. In these gym battles, your pokemon can go to 0 hit points and require a revive potion to bring back to 1 before healing up with healing potions.

When you "train" (attack) your own gym color, you choose 1 pokemon. If you do well, it raises the gym prestige, allowing more people from your team to put pokemon in there to defend it. The xp gain is small. In these fights, pokemon will not "die" but will faint at 1 hp and not require a revive before healing.

You can keep 1 pokemon at any gym at a time. You get a bonus every day by clicking the "Shop" icon and clicking the shield in the upper right. The bonus is 10 coins + 500 stardust for every gym you have a pokemon in. The max bonus you can get is 10 gyms worth.

Dave

Dave

On Facebook someone said something about Pokemon Go being better than the endless political posts. I replied that i was looking for a wild Berniemon. He replied that he wanted a Trumpachu.

I thought that was funny so I googled it.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Dear Dave, could you add a neutral "Kill it with fire" rating?

Dave

Dave

Well, we know lightning wouldn't work.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, we know lightning wouldn't work.
Yeah, gotta counter it with a Ground type. Would Hillary be a Sandshrew? or a Hippowdon?

evilmike

evilmike

Apparently, there is a method to this madness. The White House apparently has a gym. (Kotaku)

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, gotta counter it with a Ground type. Would Hillary be a Sandshrew? or a Hippowdon?
She can't be trapped, nearly nothing sticks to her, is adept at confusing the issue, and is extremely slow to react to change.

She's gotta be a Gengar.

Dave

Dave

Apparently, there is a method to this madness. The White House apparently has a gym. (Kotaku)

So does the United States Holocaust Museum.

http://kdvr.com/2016/07/12/holocaust-museum-please-stop-playing-pokemon-go-here/[DOUBLEPOST=1468354940,1468354903][/DOUBLEPOST]And the 9/11 Memorial site.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

I see you've caught a Snubbull

Dave

Dave

Okay so as I was leaving work today I noticed that there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. Turns out there are three Pokestops on my campus. Yet nobody was really aware of this. So I engaged a couple of them and walked them around, finding out what was what. Then I high-tailed it to marketing. I told them about the cars, and the traffic, and everything else. Our university has the reputation of being for adult learners and such so we get people thinking we are for "old people". We have stuff for younger kids although we don't have things like dorms, etc. If we jump on this and do an event that puts a spotlight on Pokemon Go, we might be able to get a little positive pub out of this. I let them know that we need to jump on this while it's hot.

So right now my only real idea is to have three booths set up - one for each team - set out lures, and let the students know in campus emails and social media. My daughter thinks it's a great idea.

What do you guys think? I'm not expecting people to come on campus and immediately sign up for classes, but if we get positive rep for being open to younger people, maybe we'll draw some people in.

Dei

Dei

I think it's a good idea. I know that there are bars in my area sending email to Niantic asking to get Pokestop status so they can use it for lures and stuff.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Our university has the reputation of being for adult learners and such so we get people thinking we are for "old people".
Tooooooo easy.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

MindDetective

MindDetective

The cell towers are probably getting hammered at the big Park here. I can't get the game to work even when I can connect.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

What do you guys think? I'm not expecting people to come on campus and immediately sign up for classes, but if we get positive rep for being open to younger people, maybe we'll draw some people in.
It could work. Every time I throw a lure down around here, all the kids in the town come out of the woodwork to congregate at it.
Besides, everyone's getting on the bandwagon. Check this out

Shakey

Shakey

Screenshot_20160712-233458.png

:okay:

So lonely at home.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I caught an 850cp Snorlax a few minutes ago! And the library here (that closes at 6) was packed with people outside at like 10:30pm lol

figmentPez

figmentPez

Far

Far

It's not even officially out here yet...

13653440_10154390771837079_8715823504094894909_o.jpg

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I got to be one of the "cool cops" again tonight, after I heard a group eagerly hunting a Bulbasaur. Followed em and found one, then got another Charmander.

One guy spotted me and said "please tell me you're playing, too?"

I gave him a death glare and said "Team Valor, bitches." Much cat-calling and high-fives, all around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bubble181

Bubble181

All cops should be Mystic. Blue team yo.

Frank

Frank

My cripplosity is ruining my chance to enjoy this during it's early rush.

Krisken

Krisken

While we had some freezes last night, we did really well and even caught some of the ones that froze. My guess is if the creature was destined to escape it doesn't show up, but if you caught it on the throw that froze you get to keep it.

But yeah, a great night! Even made Lvl 9, which is pretty good considering I started Sunday.

Dave

Dave

I downloaded the app on my iPad but it doesn't work very well. I did find out that my university is not just 3 pokestops. One of them is a GYM.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I downloaded the app on my iPad but it doesn't work very well. I did find out that my university is not just 3 pokestops. One of them is a GYM.
I caught six just while standing in front of the Durham Student Center on Sunday. We'd catch one and another would almost instantly show up. It was crazy, because we'd been trying to get the two at the park near our house for two days with no luck, then decided to try the campus and they were everywhere.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I caught some plant in the restroom at work, only afterward realizing that I should probably see if anyone else is in there before whipping out my phone camera. :awesome:

Dave

Dave

Hoo boy was I wrong and boy did I open a can of worms.

Our university has 8 pokestops and 3 gyms. So...holy crap.

I spoke with our marketing and student affairs people and am getting in the middle of a big bag of worms. Apparently security has been sending people away and the COO is pissed. So the VP in charge of security and the COO are fighting it out and here's me - the guy who caused it all by making waves about Pokemon Go.

And then there's the marketing people telling me this should be social media, the social media saying that it should be student affairs. Student affairs thinks having an event would be fine, but that social media and marketing need to be involved.

What the fuck did I do?

strawman

strawman

It's hard to get people engaged, so while I understand the cemeteries and solemn museums are upset about people playing a game where dignity and solemnity are expected, I have to admit I'm thinking there must be a way for them to turn it into an opportunity. There are people who have never been to the holocaust museum going because it's an in-game goal of sorts. Why not place signs around alerting them to the museum, and inviting them to learn more about why solemnity is expected.

There will always be people who will mess around, but that happened before the game, and will happen long after. Most players, though, once alerted to the expectation and reason behind it, will likely show the proper respect without having to be pushed away from an important cultural touchstone.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, the area around my work place is barren - one pokestop about 2km away is the only thing visible. So I decided to try an incense to have something to do around here. I got one whole Spearow in half na hour. That's a waste.
I keep seeing silhouettes I don't know pop up here so there *are* a few pokemon around, but they don't come close enough to catch and I can't go chasing after them. Booh.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Its still not out in the UK yet.

That being said, I'm already level 5, and GO TEAM MYSTIC.

Shakey

Shakey

It's hard to get people engaged, so while I understand the cemeteries and solemn museums are upset about people playing a game where dignity and solemnity are expected, I have to admit I'm thinking there must be a way for them to turn it into an opportunity. There are people who have never been to the holocaust museum going because it's an in-game goal of sorts. Why not place signs around alerting them to the museum, and inviting them to learn more about why solemnity is expected.

There will always be people who will mess around, but that happened before the game, and will happen long after. Most players, though, once alerted to the expectation and reason behind it, will likely show the proper respect without having to be pushed away from an important cultural touchstone.
I agree. This could be a big learning opportunity for a lot of places, it's unfortunate they take the stance of "I don't understand this! Get out of here you damn kids!"

GasBandit

GasBandit

What the fuck did I do?
You found love in a hopeless place?

Igh, I don't even like Rihanna.

GasBandit

GasBandit

TIL: John Hanke, the guy behind Pokemon Go, was also behind Meridian 59, the first graphical MMORPG. Man.. that's a blast from the past.[DOUBLEPOST=1468427989,1468427906][/DOUBLEPOST]

Fun Size

Fun Size

I may or may not have taken my kids to the library over lunch so I could try a gym battle.

I also may or may not have taken over the local library gym.

evilmike

evilmike

The master plan revealed: It Looks Like Pokémon Go Is Pursuing a Partnership With McDonald's

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think the social aspects of Pokemon Go, whether they were intended or unintended, are what intrigue me the most. Around here, we have chatted with more people of every age and background in the past 5 days then we sometimes do for months. Teens who usually avoid eye contact see us playing and start offering hints where they've caught some rare Pokemon. When we go for our bike rides in the park, people who usually smile politely are asking about our progress. I was out for a ride 2 nights ago (and playing while I went), when I family in a Jeep slowed near me. The kids asked if I was playing, and when I held up my phone to show them my map, they cheered me! We've been complaining for the last decade that people are too sucked into the digital world and we hardly ever leave the house anymore to play, date or shop. I'm not saying Pokemon Go is the answer to everything that ails us, but it's at least a small step in the right direction. I think it also helps that outside of gym battles, the game play right now is mostly you vs. the game, so it's a good thing to share your knowledge with other players.

I also agree with @stienman about the positives of people exploring and getting exposed to sites they may not have always noticed. We've discovered a number of them in our own town I never knew existed because you can't really see them from your car. As long as people remember to remain respectful of locations and private property, the exploration should really be embraced rather than rebuked.

Celt Z

Celt Z

The master plan revealed: It Looks Like Pokémon Go Is Pursuing a Partnership With McDonald's

Sounds good to me. There's a McD's easy walking distance from me that is already next two 3 Pokestops and one Gym. As others have commented, if it keeps the game play free and just becomes a PStop or offers special items/events, so be it. It's not like they haven't had Pokemon stuff in the past.

:notes: Baa-da-bap-ba-daaaaaa.... I'm catching 'em!:notes:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I could see them giving out scratch cards with QR codes or whatever to scan that give you a chance at in-game prices or semi-unique unlockables. You know, buy a Value Menu, get a card, scratch and scan with your phone to unlock; at minimum give something like 10 pokeballs, with for example 1 chance in 10.000 at a shiny Charizard or whatever.

Bubble181

Bubble181

13705238_10208592152833144_445881780_n.jpg

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Bubble181

Bubble181

While I'm not at those levels yet, I assume they're Master Balls, meant to make capture of more difficult Pokemon easier.

Dei

Dei

Great Balls, you heathen, not Master Balls.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The art is misleading then... the shade looks closer to master balls than great balls...

(For those not in the know, Master Ball is top left, Great Ball is top right)

Dei

Dei

The patterning is CLEARLY a great ball. It's blue with red slashes. And there is no M. [emoji14]

Bubble181

Bubble181

Google says Great Balls. Though I have to say, I was going by the art when I said it, too, so at least mildly misleading.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The patterning is CLEARLY a great ball. It's blue with red slashes. And there is no M. [emoji14]
The low pixel art looks ambiguous enough to me to either be a great ball using the master ball's colors or a master ball with the M left off because it would look like crap in such a low resolution anyway.

Dei

Dei

It's faded because I can't use it right now, but this is the in game graphic.

Also if you played Pokemon at all, it's obvious in context that they are Great Balls and not Master Balls, if you haven't then why would you know what a Master Ball is? :O

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's faded because I can't use it right now, but this is the in game graphic.

Also if you played Pokemon at all, it's obvious in context that they are Great Balls and not Master Balls, if you haven't then why would you know what a Matter Ball is? :O
We're not saying they're not great balls, we're saying they got the color wrong on the great balls, the blue is supposed to be lighter and the stripes appear pink because of the contrast.

if you haven't then why would you know what a Matter Ball is?
Because

Bubble181

Bubble181

If you're a not-Pokemon player before Go, it's easy to have heard of both because Pokemon is and always has been, all over the place, but you may not know the finer points.
Similarly, I think I can name most of the character roster of Overwatch...But if you forced me to put names to faces, I'm not sure I'd score over 50%. Heck, based off of names, until recently, I assumed Zenyatta was female. *shrug*

Dei

Dei

It didn't look pink to me, so *shrug*

GasBandit

GasBandit

It didn't look pink to me, so *shrug*
Also, in my defense, the only pokemon game I ever played only had 2 colors - spinach and black.

Terrik

Terrik

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Emrys

Emrys

You people are crazy and I mean that in the kindest and most loving way.

Krisken

Krisken

Ugh, drink and paint the minis for Forbidden Stars or play Pokemon GO and get to Lvl 10... it's just not fair.

Celt Z

Celt Z

... it's easy to have heard of both because Pokemon is and always has been, all over the place, but you may not know the finer points.
Tell that to the middle-aged man who came out of his house yesterday when I was walking back and forth by his house trying to catch a Jigglypuff. I think I made it worse when I explained what I was doing. He looked at me like I escaped an asylum. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tell that to the middle-aged man who came out of his house yesterday when I was walking back and forth by his house trying to catch a Jigglypuff. I think I made it worse when I explained what I was doing. He looked at me like I escaped an asylum. :(
Some people I just don't understand. I imagine these people, completely ignorant of technoentertainment advances of the last 20+ years, spend their free time sitting quietly in a room, listening to a grandfather clock tick away the twilight seconds of their ever shortening lives, perhaps accompanied by the tinny squeaks of a monoaural transistor radio set to an AM station, as they wring every possible drop of information from an absurdly-named newspaper whose issues have become progressively thinner with every passing year. Once that task is complete, there is nothing left to do but go out on the porch and yell at the kids and their handheld gizmos until the sun goes down, which heralds an immediate bedtime.

Dei

Dei

Denbrought

Denbrought

This video made me think... I can't wait for a decent AR Travian and/or Harvest Moon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, in my defense, the only pokemon game I ever played only had 2 colors - spinach and black.
I, too, remember those commercials quoting Spike Jones.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Today we installed Pokemon Go on my old iPhone 5, I turned on my mobile hotspot, and my daughter and I went out as two trainers, instead of her just watching my phone.

Now she wants us to get outfits to wear while playing.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My daughter and I took over a gym for a short period this afternoon, she won it and I threw a defender in to help her keep it for a little while. We didn't expect it to last long, it's at a Wal-Mart.

Dei

Dei

My daughter already plans to betray me and go Team Mystic. :'(

Krisken

Krisken

My daughter already plans to betray me and go Team Mystic. :'(
Hitting the teens a little early, isn't she?

Dei

Dei

Hitting the teens a little early, isn't she?
Clearly you have not read every other post I have ever made about my daughter and her early teenager ways. ;)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Currently no way to do that, unless you delete the account and start a new one. All the pokemans gone...

Dei

Dei

Currently no way to do that, unless you delete the account and start a new one. All the pokemans gone...
She just started playing today. She's level 2. :p

Krisken

Krisken

My daughter and I took over a gym for a short period this afternoon, she won it and I threw a defender in to help her keep it for a little while. We didn't expect it to last long, it's at a Wal-Mart.
Yeah, I just grabbed one at a church in the middle of nowhere. Let's see if I can hold it for a day

Mathias

Mathias

I find you either love Pokemon Go, or you have a huge stick up your ass and need a slap to the face because you're a dope.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I find you either love Pokemon Go, or you have a huge stick up your ass and need a slap to the face because you're a dope.
I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

--Patrick
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

PatrThom

PatrThom

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
A predilection for balance.
(That's actually one of the few episodes I haven't seen yet)

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fun Size

Fun Size

Some people I just don't understand. I imagine these people, completely ignorant of technoentertainment advances of the last 20+ years, spend their free time sitting quietly in a room, listening to a grandfather clock tick away the twilight seconds of their ever shortening lives, perhaps accompanied by the tinny squeaks of a monoaural transistor radio set to an AM station, as they wring every possible drop of information from an absurdly-named newspaper whose issues have become progressively thinner with every passing year. Once that task is complete, there is nothing left to do but go out on the porch and yell at the kids and their handheld gizmos until the sun goes down, which heralds an immediate bedtime.
Yesterday one of my in-laws posted on Facebook something along the lines of "If you're over 12 and playing Pokemon Go, turn in your man card." I replied that as a man, I never really felt the need to justify how I spend my free time to other people, but then I'm comfortable enough with myself to know that others opinions of me are mostly irrelevant. Oddly, I got no response.

evilmike

evilmike

Bubble181

Bubble181

Edward Snowden Captured

I admit, posting it here sort of gives the joke away, but still.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I got a big kick out of the moral panic news reports yesterday about the DANGERS of Pokemon.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I got a big kick out of the moral panic news reports yesterday about the DANGERS of Pokemon.
My wife joined a Facebook discussion yesterday populated by baptists screaming about the game being witchcraft or somesuch.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You people are crazy and I mean that in the kindest and most loving way.
As if you wouldn't want to catch one of these

Dei

Dei

I just yelled at my daughter to run like she's trying to catch a Pokemon while she was practicing her vaults today. :x

Dei

Dei

While it's not a Poke-gym or a Pokestop, my actual gym is crawling with Pokemon. I snapped a few pics during my morning workout:
View attachment 21540 View attachment 21541 View attachment 21542

Meanwhile, I've been letting my almost-4-year-old name any Pokemon we catch together, which is why I have
View attachment 21545 View attachment 21546 View attachment 21547 View attachment 21548 View attachment 21549
http://www.tor.com/2016/07/14/pokem...old-child-name-pokemon-with-adorable-results/

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Some of my fellow employees are dropping lures at a State Historical Marker. Nothing wrong with that, but, the marker is under a guard tower at a prison unit. And they are timing their lures with the daily release of dozens of inmates. So the corner gets quite crowded at 11:30, with nerds, offender families and offenders all crowding onto that street corner.

strawman

strawman

Some of my fellow employees are dropping lures at a State Historical Marker. Nothing wrong with that, but, the marker is under a guard tower at a prison unit. And they are timing their lures with the daily release of dozens of inmates. So the corner gets quite crowded at 11:30, with nerds, offender families and offenders all crowding onto that street corner.
It is interesting to see the ways the system is exploited.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Why?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

To spread the seeds of discord.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1468518258,1468518205][/DOUBLEPOST]

Denbrought

Denbrought

All this talk about putting are pokemons in polling places and such, and all I can think of is this smbc comic:

Dave

Dave

It's called Game Theory and it's a real thing. I've been trying to get my university on board but getting nowhere. I guess it's got to be the idea of one of the top brass. Like Pokemon Go, nobody is willing to take a chance and capitalize on trends. I didn't exactly get shot down on the whole student activity thing, but they wanted to turn it into a Big God Damned Project. And when the COO found out the the VP of security was sending people away, shit got real. And here's Dave in the middle starting it all and just wanting to do it without going through the Director of Student Activities, Director of Social Media, or Director of Marketing.

By the time these people realize there's an opportunity to be had, they'll "meeting" themselves into missing it.

Emrys

Emrys

As if you wouldn't want to catch one of these

That... that exists?

<squeeeeeexplode!> :heart:

Bubble181

Bubble181

That... that exists?

See? They've got your poison, whatever your poison is :p And since Fire Pokémon gather around where it's hot, and Water Pokémon around rivers and lakes, I'm going to assume these ferret Pokémons can only be found around your house :p

Emrys

Emrys

See? They've got your poison, whatever your poison is :p And since Fire Pokémon gather around where it's hot, and Water Pokémon around rivers and lakes, I'm going to assume these ferret Pokémons can only be found around your house :p
Must... catch... 'em... allllllll!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Must... catch... 'em... allllllll!
Good luck! ;)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

That... that exists?

I don't know if it's in pokemon go, but it's a real thing:
http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/furret

Just Me

Just Me

Here's a catchy tune for y'all. :)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Something about walking around looking for Pokemon and seeing other strangers doing the exact same thing is really fun.

Krisken

Krisken

It's called Game Theory and it's a real thing. I've been trying to get my university on board but getting nowhere. I guess it's got to be the idea of one of the top brass. Like Pokemon Go, nobody is willing to take a chance and capitalize on trends. I didn't exactly get shot down on the whole student activity thing, but they wanted to turn it into a Big God Damned Project. And when the COO found out the the VP of security was sending people away, shit got real. And here's Dave in the middle starting it all and just wanting to do it without going through the Director of Student Activities, Director of Social Media, or Director of Marketing.

By the time these people realize there's an opportunity to be had, they'll "meeting" themselves into missing it.
Wait, your university doesn't understand game theory? What kind of rinkydink operation are you part of?

Dave

Dave

Wait, your university doesn't understand game theory? What kind of rinkydink operation are you part of?
It's not that they don't understand it, they just don't think it has any value and have taken no steps to look into it further.

Krisken

Krisken

It's not that they don't understand it, they just don't think it has any value and have taken no steps to look into it further.
Wow, that's even worse.

figmentPez

figmentPez

13697109_10154170342180664_1963495015264003003_n.jpg

Dave

Dave

Wow, that's even worse.
That's MY point! They are all former military/business people who are so fucking out of touch it's amazing. And they wonder why our school is looked at as an adult learner (read "old people") school. We're trying to attract younger students, but they aren't doing anything TO attract younger students. Just targeting ads and email blasts, having meetings at schools, etc. Not actually making the school more attractive to young people. That's crazy talk!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

There was a fucking rat in my wife's hospital room!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

There was a fucking rat in my wife's hospital room!

This kangaroo's a lunatic and his pouch is very full
Of pussycats and penguins, who can't fly as a rule
But then neither could the pussycat - he never went to school

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

This kangaroo's a lunatic and his pouch is very full
Of pussycats and penguins, who can't fly as a rule
But then neither could the pussycat - he never went to school
But.. It's an AVIATING Penguin

Dei

Dei

Driving through Denver be like

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Are the pokespots the weed stores?

Celt Z

Celt Z

From earlier today:
IMG_2016-07-14-17104005-1.png
"Dude, you are 20 ft. from the water. Get it together."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

From earlier today:
View attachment 21587
"Dude, you are 20 ft. from the water. Get it together."
That's what I expect from magikarp

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, if they get it together, all of a sudden you're dealing with a 20-feet-long angry blue dragon called Mr. Fish.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yeah, if they get it together, all of a sudden you're dealing with a 20-feet-long angry blue dragon called Mr. Fish.
Funny enough, we caught a Dratini today my son named Mr. Dragon.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This might explain my gym. I caught 12 today while I was on the eliptical. If someone is throwing out lures (like that bar), kudos!

Bubble181

Bubble181

This might explain my gym. I caught 12 today while I was on the eliptical. If someone is throwing out lures (like that bar), kudos!
You can easily tell when a Lure's active though.

Apparently (citation needed) the amount of pokémon generated in an area is (partially) based on the amount of active users in the area. So, if there were some others nearby, that can help explain it too. And also why hunting in groups is apparently so much more effective.

Dei

Dei

Denver Performing Arts Center last night.

Dei

Dei

My daughter takes Pokemon hunting very seriously.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My wife will run out in the backyard if she sees a pokemon one step away.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My wife will run out in the backyard if she sees a pokemon one step away.

I see she's strong enough to go outside now.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

figmentPez

figmentPez

I ran out of Pokeballs. Now I have to actually leave my apartment to go to a Pokestop. :(

Bubble181

Bubble181

I ran out of Pokeballs. Now I have to actually leave my apartment to go to a Pokestop. :(
I honestly don't understand that. CAD made a comic about it too....Seriously, I keep hitting "bag is full" errors because I have 240+ balls. Do you have have really few Pokestops and loads and loads of Pokemon to catch or something?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

CAD? Really?

Bubble181

Bubble181

CAD? Really?

Yes, really.

I didn't say it was a particularly funny one.

Dei

Dei

I honestly don't understand that. CAD made a comic about it too....Seriously, I keep hitting "bag is full" errors because I have 240+ balls. Do you have have really few Pokestops and loads and loads of Pokemon to catch or something?
I have a feeling that Belgium is a little different geographically.

Also, the lake near my house was awesome for Pokemon'ing today. Someone dropped lures on three pokestops, and the gym was a constant battle to maintain control. Got a few Team Instinct high fives as well.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There aren't any Pokestops in range of my apartment. It is currently 96°F (36°C) and 40% relative humidity (a relatively cool summer day here) at 4 in the afternoon, which makes walking in the heat exhausting. Even though my apartment complex's business office is a Pokestop, my anxiety keeps me from wanting to go out and just hang around there.

Here's a couple screenshots of my location:
2016-07-15 21.23.31.png
2016-07-15 21.23.49.png

That Gym is at my college, it's a 20+ minute walk away, from experience. Not something I've felt up to the last few days.

I can open up the app on my phone every hour or so and find a Pokemon to catch in my apartment.

Krisken

Krisken

image.png
image.png
I hear ya.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I see she's strong enough to go outside now.

--Patrick
We've been walking a couple of miles every day since pokemon go came out. It's the best thing that's happened for her recovery

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Evolved a Flareon while eating dinner. Now I have all the eevee evolutions. :D

Dei

Dei

Giant nerds
shirts.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Team Mystic! Thatta girl!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Team Mystic! Thatta girl!
HUFFLEPUFF!

Wait, did I do that right?

Celt Z

Celt Z

HUFFLEPUFF!

Wait, did I do that right?
Close enough.

Krisken

Krisken

Had a mostly good night. Went to our old stomping grounds in West Bend WI and it was NUTS. I mean, seriously, one corner by the library had 3 Pokestops which were ALWAYS lured and once it started getting dark there were people in lawn chairs and one wackadoo had brought a full set of extension cords to run from the library across the street to his laptop and was playing music for everyone. It was a damn block party.

Would have been better if the Aerodactyl I was after didn't screw me out of 12 pokeballs just to run away. GRUMBLE.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Spent about 30 minutes just camped right here. Got a couple of things that I didn't have and helped my wife learn how to play.

Krisken

Krisken

I've never held a gym for more than 4 hours. Not really seeing the point as I get almost nothing out of it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I've never held a gym for more than 4 hours. Not really seeing the point as I get almost nothing out of it.
I don't think I've held one for more than 15 minutes. Make sure as soon as you take it over, you go and collect your defender bonus on the shop page with the shield at the top. Pokecoins and magic dust are what I've gotten so far.

Krisken

Krisken

Good to know that. I just noticed that shield now and feel really silly for wasting it

Bubble181

Bubble181

yeah, didn't know about that... Just took over a gym yesterday evening, that would've been nice. Man, a little bit more tutorial would be a good thing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ANY tutorial. Game just throws you out there with no explanation of how to do anything at all.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I keep waiting for your trainer to turn into Sailor Moon.

Krisken

Krisken

It appears I am unable to log into the game since around 20 minutes ago. Not sure if they are doing updates or what. Anyone else able to log in?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

It appears I am unable to log into the game since around 20 minutes ago. Not sure if they are doing updates or what. Anyone else able to log in?
Not letting me in either, was on for 20-30 minutes earlier while at the dog park with the old Pug.

Krisken

Krisken

Not letting me in either, was on for 20-30 minutes earlier while at the dog park with the old Pug.
Me too. Was down to 7 pokeballs and headed into population to get some Pokestops. Now though, unable to get player info.

Thanks for the verification Sparhawk!

MindDetective

MindDetective

I've gotten a cannot log in message too.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Ya, same here. I was on for a bit and took a little walk, hit apikestop and got a message my bags were full. So I went down to a nice little stop to enjoy some coffee, dropped a lure, put on some incense, cracked a lucky egg, caught a weedle and game crashed immediately. Haven't been able to log in since and that was a little over an hour ago

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Same.

There's a few messages on the pokemon go subreddit that the servers are down, but no dedicated thread about it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Ya, same here. I was on for a bit and took a little walk, hit apikestop and got a message my bags were full. So I went down to a nice little stop to enjoy some coffee, dropped a lure, put on some incense, cracked a lucky egg, caught a weedle and game crashed immediately. Haven't been able to log in since and that was a little over an hour ago
Ouch, for losing stuff like that.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, that's horrible :( Sorry man!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Same.

There's a few messages on the pokemon go subreddit that the servers are down, but no dedicated thread about it.
Now there's a dedicated thread about it :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4t4eix/anyone_else_getting_the_25_loading_glitch_havent/

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, it's all over twitter too. 50 minutes ago they said there is no estimated time for them to be back.

Dei

Dei

I laughed so hard at this I am definitely going to Hell.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I laughed so hard at this I am definitely going to Hell.
I've had to refrain from making a" #catchpokemonfornice - just as useful as praying" post, so I think I'll be there well before you.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm back in.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Oh good, I'm glad this isn't just me. I took Li'l Z on a walk this morning to get breakfast and load up on Pokeballs, and I haven't been able to get in at all. It's hot and humid here, so if we don't walk earlier, it's miserable later.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

And down again...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Still down.... And I'm visiting people in a part of town where apparently they have a whole different set of Pokemon, drat.[DOUBLEPOST=1468684412,1468684168][/DOUBLEPOST]Apparently it's because of a ddos attack by Poodlecorp. Thanks, a-holes.

phil

phil

The horror

Krisken

Krisken

Still down.... And I'm visiting people in a part of town where apparently they have a whole different set of Pokemon, drat.[DOUBLEPOST=1468684412,1468684168][/DOUBLEPOST]Apparently it's because of a ddos attack by Poodlecorp. Thanks, a-holes.
Not sure what they gain from this, really.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

"Derp! We C00L because we takes yer pokermans away!"

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Some people just want to ruin other people's fun.

Krisken

Krisken

And we are back

Celt Z

Celt Z

Meh. I'm still down here. :mad:

Meanwhile, in the "How Do You Do, Fellow Kids?" category, I present Dunkin' Donuts' entry:

DDpokemail.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1468687905,1468687713][/DOUBLEPOST]

The horror
This had me confused when I saw articles about it this morning. Are Vaporeons hard to find? They're all over the place here. I don't think I've seen a gym without at least one Vaporeon on tap.

MindDetective

MindDetective

This had me confused when I saw articles about it this morning. Are Vaporeons hard to find? They're all over the place here. I don't think I've seen a gym without at least one Vaporeon on tap.
Same

phil

phil

Between my house and work I still almost exclusively see Ratatas, Pigeos and weedles. Near work I've caught wind of a few bulbasours but nothing too crazy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Between my house and work I still almost exclusively see Ratatas, Pigeos and weedles. Near work I've caught wind of a few bulbasours but nothing too crazy.
bulbasour.png

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

My most powerful Pokemon:
2016-07-16 17.54.42.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Pretty sure me and my wife are the toughest trainers in town right now...everyone keeps putting 700-900 cp pokemon in the gyms..

Krisken

Krisken

image.png

These are mine

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Been a profitable day for me...

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Also, strongest on my roster, haven't worked too much on evolving/training/powering up. Gonna do that later with a full battery and a lucky egg.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Screenshot_20160716-150727.png

phil

phil

Screenshot_2016-07-16-18-26-46.png

:)

:|

:(

jwhouk

jwhouk

I do believe I saw a couple of kids playing just outside our library, as I was on my way home this afternoon.

The tell was that they were both looking down at their phones, and it looked a bit like a concerted effort on their part.

Shakey

Shakey

Damn it dad. Quit taking pictures and get this thing off my head.

IMG_2016-07-16-19505612.png

Krisken

Krisken

Made level 19, 10,000 short of 20. Went up 3 levels today and got some amazing guys.

image.png

That Hypno is sick, and that is the upgrade from the Drowsie with no candies. Just sick.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Screenshot_2016-07-16-23-38-55.png
Screenshot_2016-07-16-23-38-39.png
Brussels city center may be a nice place to roam around. But man power levels are going up quickly. Saw a level 7 Mystic gym with all seven Pokémon over CP1000, with the highest being a CP2500 Dragonite. Game has only been officially released here for a day!

Bubble181

Bubble181

In other news, hatching 2 10K eggs at a time and getting a Pidgey and a Rattata is the RNG's idea of "fun", I suppose -_-

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

In other news, hatching 2 10K eggs at a time and getting a Pidgey and a Rattata is the RNG's idea of "fun", I suppose -_-
No kidding, first 10k I got a freaking little bat, second one I got a Sandshrew.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Oh you guys are killing me with this. I have been excitingly waiting for my ten k egg to hatch with the assumption that because it takes so much more it has to be rare.... I'm gonna slap someone with a carp if I end up with a weedle.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Oh you guys are killing me with this. I have been excitingly waiting for my ten k egg to hatch with the assumption that because it takes so much more it has to be rare.... I'm gonna slap someone with a carp if I end up with a weedle.
I got my Lapras from a 10k egg. I think it depends on the RNG, your current level, and the difficulty of the egg what you will get.

evilmike

evilmike

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Looks like Instinct gets in a sneak attack at the end.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Last night, for the third night in a row, pikachu has shown up on the radar at midnight as we were watching our bedtime movie. Because of the footsteps bug, I have no idea how close he is, but he's the first thing on the radar list, so I hope he's close.

I told my wife "I'm gonna go see how close he is", jumped out of bed, and put some clothes on...aaaand walked a half-block in either direction, no luck. Came back inside, got my keys. Told my wife "I'm driving around til I find him." "Seriously?" she says, because it's midnight and we're already in bed. But she's got 3 already..she doesn't know the struggle :)

Found him at the exit to the neighborhood. :D

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've seen mew show up near my house three days in a row, but haven't found him yet. Ditto for Scyther.

And grah since it's been officially released here the servers are even worse than before!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Krisken

Krisken

image.png

This is the largest pokemon I've caught in the wild. What a monster![DOUBLEPOST=1468787691,1468787628][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's because the other two teams are onboard and see no reason to remove them ;)

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'd imagine this is what young Ash would look like.

20160717_102640-1.jpg
My Pokehunting assistant. :)

MindDetective

MindDetective

I guess the game went live officially in Canada and the servers crashed.

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, that seems to be their strategy!

Dei

Dei

klew

klew

I guess the game went live officially in Canada and the servers crashed.
I'll be there this weekend, hoping it gets fixed up.

I was a beta tester (and played Ingress for its first year), lots of app crashing and sparse activity. Looks like it is better populated now, so should be more fun. All my 10 miles of walking a day is done indoors with no GPS signal, so no egg hatching for me.

Dei

Dei

I'll be there this weekend, hoping it gets fixed up.

I was a beta tester (and played Ingress for its first year), lots of app crashing and sparse activity. Looks like it is better populated now, so should be more fun. All my 10 miles of walking a day is done indoors with no GPS signal, so no egg hatching for me.
I think egg hatching is accelerometer based, not physical distance, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I think egg hatching is accelerometer based, not physical distance, but I'm not 100% sure.
It appears to be actual distance based on my end.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Turned out as a better day than I thought it would today.

The Gloom and Dodrio were both evolved, others were all captures.

MindDetective

MindDetective

There are already some egg hacks: http://lifehacker.com/hatch-eggs-in-pokemon-go-with-a-turntable-1783819888

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm going to try riding my bike to see if I can hatch eggs that way. I've heard it suggested that as long as you stay under 15mph it'll still count.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm going to try riding my bike to see if I can hatch eggs that way. I've heard it suggested that as long as you stay under 15mph it'll still count.
I've had great luck hatching eggs while riding my bike. There's a park near us so I can sometimes get two eggs hatched per ride.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

Me, I'm blaming Valor. Was defending two gyms level 5 and 6, less than an hour to go before defender bonus.... Servers go down for an hour, back up and they're suddenly level 4 and 5 red gyms :mad::mad: don't know how they flipped them that fast.

BErt

I think I might be lost
image.jpeg

Bubble181

Bubble181

I think I might be lost
View attachment 21625
Are you boating? I know the rumor's out there, but you really won't find Gyarados 100miles out at sea.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Dei

Dei

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've read that it's both...so if you're driving a smooth straight distance (even if it's under 20mph) you wont rack up as many km as if you're on a bumpy road, taking lots of turns, or jiggling the phone while driving.

Hatched this today while taking my daily 1m walk around the neighborhood

I love how when you hatch a pokemon, it gives you a bunch of candies.

Dei

Dei

One of those bitches ran away from me yesterday. :'(

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, tried driving slowly in the industrial park of my work after I finished my shift, drove 2 km at 10 kph and gained 0.1km on Pokemon. Not worth it :p

Hatched a Meowth yesterday. Keep seeing Meowths and Dragonite and Abra silhouettes but they're always gone when I can go after them. Pfeh.

Far

Far

IMG_20160718_200701.jpg

"With special guest pidgeotto."

Though he's destined to become the next Nester. As for the current one...

g94z7oP.gif

Krisken

Krisken

image.png

Ok what is that shadow?!? I couldn't chase after it due to being at work :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

View attachment 21635

Blastoise?

Far

Far

View attachment 21635

Blastoise. I would have quit.

Dei

Dei

My daughter and I started talking about Lickitung in public because it was in a gym, and I'm 99% sure it sounded really wrong out of context.

Far

Far

At least it wasn't Lickilicki. The name just never sat well with me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

I thought #377 was quite relevant to our WinX discussion.
Also, regarding #378 itself:
There are fewer Pokemon Go locations in black neighborhoods, but why?

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

The two closest gyms to my office were inexplicably yellow, so I boosted one up enough to drop one in to the nearest one, helping to give it a pretty diverse and deep bench for red and blue to battle. The further one I didn't need to boost but it didn't have much going for it, so I just plopped a Nidoqueen in there and claimed my coins for the day. Then someone else came along and cranked the strength of the more distant of the two really high (which must have been easy with such a shallow bench, 3 total now). If some more Team Yellow drop into that gym it might be formidable as well. How is Yellow still ruling the roost around here today? We have clearly been the underdogs!

Dei

Dei

Near my dentist's office today. Disappeared before I could look for it.

Emrys

Emrys

Have I told you guys lately how much I love you and what giant geeks I think you are?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Have I told you guys lately how much I love you and what giant geeks I think you are?
Possibly, but not nearly enough ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Blastoise?
Blastoise. I would have quit.
FFFFFFFfffuuuuu

You know the rest.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Summing up the video's conclusions:
Pokemon within 40 meters can appear, between 40 - 60 meters will have 1 footprint, 60-90 will have two, and 90 meters plus will have 3 footprints.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Summing up the video's conclusions:
Pokemon within 40 meters can appear, between 40 - 60 meters will have 1 footprint, 60-90 will have two, and 90 meters plus will have 3 footprints.
I had the various footprints for the first week, but haven't had them since. Everything is showing up at 3 steps, even when it's on the screen for me to catch.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I've read that it's both...so if you're driving a smooth straight distance (even if it's under 20mph) you wont rack up as many km as if you're on a bumpy road, taking lots of turns, or jiggling the phone while driving.

Hatched this today while taking my daily 1m walk around the neighborhood

I love how when you hatch a pokemon, it gives you a bunch of candies.
I caught one of these at the beach today! Surprised the heck out of me! However, I had the same issue as @Dei today where the shadow of a Charmeleon showed up, but never found him.

Meanwhile, I am haunted by Psyducks. I always get the shadow, but never see one. I'm starting to think they're only a rumor.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Today's catches so far, really this should be it, don't expect to see much walking the pug.

Dei

Dei

Well, right now, there's a bug and everything is 3 footprints. :([DOUBLEPOST=1468981716,1468981686][/DOUBLEPOST]
I caught one of these at the beach today! Surprised the heck out of me! However, I had the same issue as @Dei today where the shadow of a Charmeleon showed up, but never found him.

Meanwhile, I am haunted by Psyducks. I always get the shadow, but never see one. I'm starting to think they're only a rumor.
I have seen 2 water types ever. Yay.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Well, right now, there's a bug and everything is 3 footprints. :([DOUBLEPOST=1468981716,1468981686][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have seen 2 water types ever. Yay.
I caught the Horsea while at worship band practice at our church, while in the video room, not sure there is "water" within 2 miles of that position. So, I don't know. On the other hand, I'm really jealous of the various types that you've found.

Vrii

Vrii

I finally got around to upgrading my phone, so I just started playing this. Didn't catch much of interest in day 1 of city-wandering.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is my gym. There are many like it, but this one is mine... for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krisken

Krisken

This is my gym. There are many like it, but this one is mine... for now.

Cash out, don't wait.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Cash out, don't wait.
I've found a 5th gym on the edge of town at the gas station. I get up early before the kids, hit all 5 gyms, and then cash out.

By lunch, I only have control of 2--and I've had those two for a week now.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I cashed out as soon as I took that gym. Dropped off another pokemon at another gym a couple hours later, but the time won't let me collect on that one yet.

Bubble181

Bubble181

For those of you somewhat savvy with a PC:
has instructions on how to set up a map with all local Pokémon from Niantic's servers.
For those of you who aren't savvy enough with a PC: hope some friendly forumite is willing to help out :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

For those of you who aren't savvy enough with a PC: hope some friendly forumite is willing to help out :p
https://pokevision.com/

Does not potentially compromise your google accounts (or open them for banning) or p-go accounts.

It's interesting to me from a technology standpoint, but 90% of the time is worthless in my town because it's mostly pidgeys and rattatas

Dave

Dave

Website is offline.

Bubble181

Bubble181

https://pokevision.com/

Does not potentially compromise your google accounts (or open them for banning) or p-go accounts.

It's interesting to me from a technology standpoint, but 90% of the time is worthless in my town because it's mostly pidgeys and rattatas
Is missing a lot of pokemon, though. Just checked and I assure you there's 6 on my app, yet 0 in a 4 mile radius around me according to that website...

strawman

strawman

Is missing a lot of pokemon, though. Just checked and I assure you there's 6 on my app, yet 0 in a 4 mile radius around me according to that website...
I suspect the app generates additional pokemon if there's a low population available on the server near you.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

To be fair, the web site is open to the public, and so gets pounded to the point of sometimes being unusable.

But it's a fair option for those who don't know how to run python in a local web instance

Bubble181

Bubble181

If that website's anywhere near accurate, I now understand why I have pokeballs to spare ad such sucky pokemon. Brussels has loads and loads of pokestops, but less pokemon than Buttfuck, Nowhere, USA. :p

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

If that website's anywhere near accurate, I now understand why I have pokeballs to spare ad such sucky pokemon. Brussels has loads and loads of pokestops, but less pokemon than Buttfuck, Nowhere, USA. :p
I'm not surprised the capital of the US has more than the capital of the EU.

Krisken

Krisken

They have definitely changed their algorithms for what appears. I'm seeing a lot of stuff which wasn't showing up before in the area, including 4 Squirtles. A lot less Weedles, too.[DOUBLEPOST=1469036176,1469036068][/DOUBLEPOST]
I cashed out as soon as I took that gym. Dropped off another pokemon at another gym a couple hours later, but the time won't let me collect on that one yet.
Hm, must not be as brutal in your area. I've seen lvl 9 gyms wiped out in 2 hours.[DOUBLEPOST=1469036416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also getting really good stuff from lure locations, which is weird. Hopefully the same goes for incense

Bubble181

Bubble181

They have definitely changed their algorithms for what appears. I'm seeing a lot of stuff which wasn't showing up before in the area, including 4 Squirtles. A lot less Weedles, too.[DOUBLEPOST=1469036176,1469036068][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hm, must not be as brutal in your area. I've seen lvl 9 gyms wiped out in 2 hours.[DOUBLEPOST=1469036416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm also getting really good stuff from lure locations, which is weird. Hopefully the same goes for incense

What you can find and catch does also change based on level. You won't find some of the bigger Pokémon at lower levels....

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

They have definitely changed their algorithms for what appears. I'm seeing a lot of stuff which wasn't showing up before in the area, including 4 Squirtles. A lot less Weedles, too.
except for rattatas and pidgeys, which appear everywhere, my wife and I have noticed that what seems "hot" changes from day to day in our neighborhood.

I may be paranoid. I set up a club pokemon account using Tor and a mailinator email. The python script is pretty damn awesome.

Bubble181

Bubble181

except for rattatas and pidgeys, which appear everywhere, my wife and I have noticed that what seems "hot" changes from day to day in our neighborhood.

I may be paranoid. I set up a club pokemon account using Tor and a mailinator email. The python script is pretty damn awesome.

If you can find or post a way to get that working under Android instead of on a pc...Since I play with my Google account I could set up a fake (well, unused) Nintendo account with another mail address easily enough.

Also, hey, try using it on my location? I'm stuck at work but still curious whether that actually does find something useful in the area :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If you can find or post a way to get that working under Android instead of on a pc...Since I play with my Google account I could set up a fake (well, unused) Nintendo account with another mail address easily enough.

Also, hey, try using it on my location? I'm stuck at work but still curious whether that actually does find something useful in the area :p
pm me some lat/longs in decimal[DOUBLEPOST=1469043203,1469042647][/DOUBLEPOST]
pm me some lat/longs in decimal
nm..their servers just took the big crapola

Bubble181

Bubble181

nm..their servers just took the big crapola
Yeah I noticed :(

Krisken

Krisken

They just updated the app, too. I'm sure that had some effect.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Got my wife a surprise for when she gets off work tonight...

I printed and laminated it. I'll punch a hole and put a lanyard on it when she gets home

got me one too :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Vrii

Vrii

Turns out my closest gym is the dumpster behind a gas station.

I live in the middle of Vancouver. How did this happen?

Bubble181

Bubble181

They just updated the app, too. I'm sure that had some effect.
Really? haven't been able to log in over the last 2 hours....

Dei

Dei

Me either.

Also I think they released in Japan today? COINCIDENCE?!

Bubble181

Bubble181

You'd think servers'd go down locally, not internationally, with this sort of stuff.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm logged in right now. Admittedly I only managed it about half an hour ago.

Krisken

Krisken

I logged in for a minute but then I was down again.

https://go.jooas.com/?utm_content=b...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I've been checking here whenever it seems down. Looks like it's still a mess again.

Really? haven't been able to log in over the last 2 hours....
The update was on the iPhone, so not knowing what system you are using, yes? I had an update download from the iTunes store.[DOUBLEPOST=1469051595,1469051401][/DOUBLEPOST]Unstable, but I'm on now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Unstable but on now, too. Tssshhhh.[DOUBLEPOST=1469052435,1469052368][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, @PoGoServer on twitter is useful ;)

Krisken

Krisken

And down again. Looks like tonight will not be the night to pop an egg.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Third also....@Tinwhistler, I can load u pa map just fine but it doesn't show any pokemon whatsoever, and it keeps throwing request errors in the command line...Unexpected end-group tag. Is it working for you, meaning I have to look for my error, or not and it might be because of an update? :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Third also....@Tinwhistler, I can load u pa map just fine but it doesn't show any pokemon whatsoever, and it keeps throwing request errors in the command line...Unexpected end-group tag. Is it working for you, meaning I have to look for my error, or not and it might be because of an update? :p
Definitely the update. It was working fine, the update hit the apple store, and I started getting that error too.

Bubble181

Bubble181

On one hand, darn, on the other, hey, not my fuck up, will just need a new update if it still works, so.... Yay?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm visiting my dad in the Middle -of-Nowhere, PA right now. Thsee are my only options right now:
Screenshot_2016-07-20-13-23-52-1.png
I am in a hell that even Pokemon fear to tread.

Dei

Dei

Celt Z

Celt Z

I never thought I'd say this, but at least you have Ratattas.

Dei

Dei

I can't go for this event, but DAMN I guess I need to go to the zoo sometime.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I spent a half hour this morning taking over and then losing a local gym repeatedly. Holy crap do I love gym battles now that I know how they run. I have to train my daughter, so she can back me up as soon as I take the gym over.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I may just not quit get some part of it, but raising your own side's Prestige is just freakin' slow and hard as I do it....Attacking a competing team is far easier/faster...

Celt Z

Celt Z

I can't go for this event, but DAMN I guess I need to go to the zoo sometime.

:eek:
Dammit, lady, that is like posting pictures of water while I'm stuck in the desert! ;)

One of our favorite restaurants is having a "Dinner with Pikachu" event with Pokemon-related stuff and lures all night. I can't wait.

Dei

Dei

:eek:
Dammit, lady, that is like posting pictures of water while I'm stuck in the desert! ;)

One of our favorite restaurants is having a "Dinner with Pikachu" event with Pokemon-related stuff and lures all night. I can't wait.
Don't worry, next week I will be in middle of nowhere Texas, visiting my husband's grandparents in an old person trailer park, so I'm sure I will also be suffering.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Eh, bitching about my lack of Pokemon is distracting from wanting to strangle my dad. I love him, but his inability to be a responsible adult EVER is going to be the end of me one of these days.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Don't worry, next week I will be in middle of nowhere Texas, visiting my husband's grandparents in an old person trailer park, so I'm sure I will also be suffering.
The "middle" of nowhere is in the panhandle. I think the term for where you are going is the "ass end" of nowhere.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1469133172,1469132745][/DOUBLEPOST]

figmentPez

figmentPez

The site can't scan for Pokemon that are attracted by lures or incense.

strawman

strawman

The site can't scan for Pokemon that are attracted by lures or incense.
And I'm still convinced that if the app sees few to no pokemon nearby it creates some just for those users in areas where the main website isn't generating any.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm visiting my dad in the Middle -of-Nowhere, PA right now. Thsee are my only options right now:
View attachment 21638
I am in a hell that even Pokemon fear to tread.
That's me every time I've tried to play Pokemon Go. I just don't play anymore.[DOUBLEPOST=1469140302,1469140234][/DOUBLEPOST]
And I'm still convinced that if the app sees few to no pokemon nearby it creates some just for those users in areas where the main website isn't generating any.
Yes, these are called Pity Pidgeys

MindDetective

MindDetective

It might, but you might need to be walking for the odds of that happening to noticeably increase. I suspect there is a constant "incense" that players always have but ratcheted way down. Walking may up it and then adding the actual incense may up it even more. Being near a lured pokestop may do so too.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It might, but you might need to be walking for the odds of that happening to noticeably increase. I suspect there is a constant "incense" that players always have but ratcheted way down. Walking may up it and then adding the actual incense may up it even more. Being near a lured pokestop may do so too.
There may be something to that. You definitely need to move in this game. I can sit for an hour playing on the computer with my phone in the cradle, no pokemon appear. As soon as I get up and take the phone with me into the bathroom 15 feet away, I always get pidgeys and rattatas show up.

And it's pretty clear that largely populated areas with a high number of players tends to be densely populated with a large variety of pokemon.

strawman

strawman

... bathroom ... I always ... rattatas ...

Krisken

Krisken

Dammit, servers are stable as hell, my character is 1300 xp away from 21, I have .2 before I hatch 2 5k eggs, and it looks like stormageddon outside.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Dammit, servers are stable as hell, my character is 1300 xp away from 21, I have .2 before I hatch 2 5k eggs, and it looks like stormageddon outside.
So did you pick personal safety, or Pokemon?

strawman

strawman

I'm sitting here in the library, two pokestops and a gym available without moving. Don't have any lures, though, so I'm not catching anything, but I get 100 xp every 5 minutes from the pokestops, and if I had time I'd figure out how to use the gym effectively.

Just another 5 minutes away from level 8.

strawman

strawman

Level 8 apparently comes with a lure, but I'll save it for later. Luckily someone else dropped a lure on one of the two pokestops, so I'll be going a bit faster while it's active. Only 7,760 xp to go until level 9, certainly won't make it tonight, but I'll get my fill of rattatas and pidgies.

Krisken

Krisken

So did you pick personal safety, or Pokemon?
Both, kinda. I popped an egg and evolved a crap ton. Crazy this doesn't get me a full level anymore though!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dunkey actually goes outside!

Krisken

Krisken

Leveling is hellishly slow now. Lvl 21 and I still have 20k until lvl 22. Looks like I'm going to have to enjoy just finding stuff I don't already have from this point on.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't understand how some people are already level 35+, honestly.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't understand how some people are already level 35+, honestly.
You and me both. All I imagine are people without jobs doing nothing but Pokemon GO.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dunkey actually goes outside!

... for some reason, before this, I always pictured Dunkey as a black dude.

Krisken

Krisken

You thought he was Zero Cool?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Until Gas posted the videos with his wife, so did I.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

I always pictured him as a scrawnier Napoleon Dynamite with cropped-hair.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...And there are two Pokemon in the parking lot of my workplace. Who knew?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Went into Frederick to play music tonight. It's a substantially bigger town than the .93sq mile town I live in.

Mother of god.Got 100+ pokeballs and 37 great balls from the pokestops.
Also caught a Mankey :)

evilmike

evilmike

bhamv3

bhamv3

Pokemon Go has been launched in Japan, but not Taiwan yet.

I am glaring in Japan's direction.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Slowly getting up there...Though I see other people advancing much, much faster still. Oh well. Happy with that Nidoking, though. Now to find him a Queen.

Screenshot (22 juli 2016 16-03).png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

There's way, way easier ways of giving a phone power while on a short track like that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

A friend of mine tied his phone to a ceiling fan. :confused:

Emrys

Emrys

There's way, way easier ways of giving a phone power while on a short track like that.
:rimshot:

Celt Z

Celt Z

Slowly getting up there...Though I see other people advancing much, much faster still. Oh well. Happy with that Nidoking, though. Now to find him a Queen.

View attachment 21647
I've got a Nidoqueen that's roughly the same level. Just sayin'. :unibrow:

Meanwhile, I'm debating whether to head one town over tonight. It's going to be crawling with people playing Go, there's a ton of stops in a small amount of space and people are dropping lures constantly. I made some great catches the other night. On the other hand, while there were a lot of friendly people, there were a few guys there who tried to use it as a pick-up opportunity and....yuck. Even if I wasn't married these guys are waaaaay too young. I am NOT a Pokecougar.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've got a Nidoqueen that's roughly the same level. Just sayin'. :unibrow:
Ohoh! This sounds interesting!:unibrow:

I am NOT a Pokecougar.
Oh. Well, okay then. :oops:

GasBandit

GasBandit

there were a few guys there who tried to use it as a pick-up opportunity and....yuck. Even if I wasn't married these guys are waaaaay too young. I am NOT a Pokecougar.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also maybe don't show up dressed like this:

Emrys

Emrys

Isn't that Mr. Celt Z's job?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Banana Cheesy1 Heart Eyes.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hey, the game said I can use allure and fruit to catch Pokemon! I stand by my methods!

...or was that "a LURE"? Whatever.

Stop posting my boudoir photos! :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Stop posting my boudoir photos! :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

We see you, you cunning Canucks! Trying to use the game as an excuse to test our border defenses!
Canadian Teens Detained for Pokemon Go Border Crossing

Dei

Dei

What? Usually it's Americans testing border defenses to go get drunk.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I showed my wife that screencap of downtown Frederick. So tonight, we changed our dinner plans, went down town, walked a few blocks and ate at one of the many restaurants on Merchant Street.

Came back 60 pokeballs richer.

Dei

Dei

Seriously, I usually save my Pokemon walks for night time because it's been 100+. It's not creepy for 2 adults to walk around at 1am right?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, I dunno. Coming back from work at midnight, I saw a lure on a pokestop nearby... So I went there and caught some Pokemon. Nothing around but closed waste plants and a sewage facility... And two luxury cars standing on the side of the street, next to the canal, engines running but lights dimmed. You know, an audi and a bmw with blinded windows. And me. And then, when the lure wore off, all of us took off at once, in different directions. I honestly felt like I walked into a drug meet or something. A police cruiser suddenly materialized around the corner and followed one of them... I waved and drove on,, but still. Wouldn't be surprised if they took my plate, they very definitely followed one of the other two driving away.

drifter

drifter

Riding around on my bike, and I cut through a park. There's a bunch of people having a picnic, one of the kids sees me coming and yells out, "Pokemon Go?"

I say yeah, and after a beat I twist my body towards him and ask "Which team?"

And he says "Uh... the good one!"

So I raise my fist in solidarity, and move on :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

useful for taking over high powered gyms with lower powered pokemon.
This is from the original game, so it's not 100% accurate (pokemon go does 1.25% and .8% for strong and weak attacks respectively, and I don't think there are any immunities) but still useful.

So, for instance, if the gym has a high CP vaporeon (water type), you might have better luck taking it with an Exeggutor than your own vaporeon. If it's got a snorlax (Normal type), try attacking with Magneton, etc.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Starting off as a good day today, hatched on the morning Pug walk.

Dei

Dei

Caught my first Chansey and my first Onix within 5 minutes of leaving on a road trip. Good sign?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Starting off as a good day today, hatched on the morning Pug walk.
angry face.png

My mortal enemy! I absolutely HATE that fucking thing! When I was in college, my friends gave me a stress ball that looked like this little shit so I could bash the fuck out of it! Grrr! :mad:

Dei

Dei

Doing my shotgun duty

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ok, I finally caught enough fucking pidgeys to get to level 5. With nothing around me, and no pokestops, and certainly no gyms, it took forever.

The whole team thing they introduce is stupid and silly, it's basically just asking you to pick an arbitrary color.

With that said, Team Valor is the best, Team Instinct is ok, but fuck Team Mystic.

Bubble181

Bubble181

With that said, Team Valor is the best, Team Instinct is ok, but fuck Team Mystic.
you sound like a Trump voter.

Dei

Dei

Who the fuck picks Team Valor?! Now we know who the Secret Hitler really is.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Who the fuck picks Team Valor?! Now we know who the Secret Hitler really is.

We're going to make Kanto great again!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Officer_Charon said:
Team Valor, bitches.

Dei

Dei

Fuuuuucking shit. There are IVs in Pokemon Go. Now that I know that I have to start caring more about which Pokemon I trash. :'([DOUBLEPOST=1469321884,1469321502][/DOUBLEPOST]
So are you disagreeing that Poe is the true Hitler here, or are you also copping to being a Team Valor sympathizer? I can't decide.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So are you disagreeing that Poe is the true Hitler here, or are you also copping to being a Team Valor sympathizer? I can't decide.
I repeat, Team Valor, bitches. :D

Bubble181

Bubble181

Screenshot_2016-07-24-03-10-58.png

Ran all over the place looking but couldn't find him :cry:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fuuuuucking shit. There are IVs in Pokemon Go. Now that I know that I have to start caring more about which Pokemon I trash. :'(
I need this explained to me. Are we taking low-CP pokemon via drip-bag now?

Krisken

Krisken

image.png

This was the scene last night, in the rain, down at Lakeside Park in Milwaukee. The catches were fantastic, and I even got a Charazard (terrible CP). May be heading back there today.

Attachments

Celt Z

Celt Z

Went out to Red Bank last night, caught 85 Pokemon, but only 2 were new (Golem, that Psyduck mf). But they did have fireworks over the river, so it made for a good Pokewalk!
IMG_2016-07-23-21500920-1.png

J

Jesterboom

Celt Z

Celt Z

You don't even play!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha ha ha....

Dei

Dei

Made a new friend while driving through Texas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

22-year-old Nathan Wall warned his mother that there wasn't room for two pokémasters in the house. So, when his 48-year-old mom Sharon asked her son how to get Pokémon GO, Nathan decided to send her on her first Pokémon journey.

Nathan instructed her to bring a coded card to the register of a local Tesco and say 'I want to be the very best.'
She did it.

Dei

Dei

Bubble181

Bubble181

9 active lures in the park tonight. I needed to go home because, you know, work, but damn. Despite those stops. I still nearly ran out of balls...
Stockpiling evolutions for my next lucky egg, have 22 waiting so far... Sigh. If only there were any funds worth and possible to take remaining. Seriously, cp 2400 and up, soloing a gym is next to impossible for someone at my puny level by now and the game's been out, what, a week, officially, around here?

PatrThom

PatrThom

9 active lures in the park tonight. I needed to go home because, you know, work, but damn. Despite those stops. I still nearly ran out of balls...
Stockpiling evolutions for my next lucky egg, have 22 waiting so far... Sigh. If only there were any funds worth and possible to take remaining. Seriously, cp 2400 and up, soloing a gym is next to impossible for someone at my puny level by now and the game's been out, what, a week, officially, around here?
As always, the games belong to the richest or the ones with the most free time.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As always, the games belong to the richest or the ones with the most free time.

--Patrick
As it always was, as it shall always be.

Now, granted, I don't have as much free time as the kids in my neighborhood. There are kids in my neighborhood with Gyaradoses already, and I'm not even close.

But I'm a good student of game theory. I know, because I just took down two gyms held by 1500+ CP gyarados with a 1300cp jolteon :D I left 10-ish cp stuff in there to taunt them.

Those kids are tired of seeing me own the gyms every morning, and they're working hard at stopping me. But they can't yet ;)
If they were clever, and really wanted to keep me out, they'd put a high level snorlax or something in there that I can't counter easily with pokemon tuned to the gym-holder's weakness (since high level fighting types seem pretty rare around here)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, pretty much anything can be easily countered. Considering you can attack with 6? 8? people simultaneously, and each can bring 6 Pokémon, there's not a lot a defender can do.
I do see a move towards "easier" gyms again - putting in 3, 4 low-level Pokémon (CP 200-) followed by a few high level ones. Easier to train against, easier to conquer.... But I think teams are still looking for the best plans and defensive lay-outs. The contested gyms will stay that way for a long time, though. And yeah, I've seen Gyarados' all around, though Vaporeons do seem stronger, as water pokémon go.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Eh, pretty much anything can be easily countered. Considering you can attack with 6? 8? people simultaneously, and each can bring 6 Pokémon, there's not a lot a defender can do.
I do see a move towards "easier" gyms again - putting in 3, 4 low-level Pokémon (CP 200-) followed by a few high level ones. Easier to train against, easier to conquer.... But I think teams are still looking for the best plans and defensive lay-outs. The contested gyms will stay that way for a long time, though. And yeah, I've seen Gyarados' all around, though Vaporeons do seem stronger, as water pokémon go.
I don't have the game yet, so I don't know if this is true, but if Pokemon Go takes dual typing into account, the Gyarados's flying/water typing will make him doubly weak against electric attacks. As opposed to Vaporeon being only regularly weak against electric.

Dave

Dave

[DOUBLEPOST=1469461670,1469461641][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes, this is a military safety briefing for the enlisted men & women.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My dad's already had to tell people to put phones away in meetings and seen his boss do the same.

He works on a government base here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's even come up in white house briefings.

Dave

Dave

Well that's just sad.

Krisken

Krisken

Lol, that guy was really irked!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Dave

Dave

Why does he look like a zombie while she looks much hotter than originally? Tumblr, huh? That explains it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why does he look like a zombie while she looks much hotter than originally? Tumblr, huh? That explains it.
Real talk though, Jessie was already pretty hot.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Real talk though, Jessie was already pretty hot.
I'd hit it with a Great Ball.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tress

Tress

A friend of a friend works for the state of California Department of Land Management. He just posted that he has to design to delivery special training to all his coworkers on how to prepare for all the idiots who blindly walk around searching for Pokemon, so they don't walk off cliffs or some other bullshit. It drives me nuts that taxpayer dollars are being wasted on protecting people too stupid to pay attention to where they are going, all for this game.

Dei

Dei

There was a Pokestop inside a zoo pen today. I somehow managed to not jump into a pen of animals to get it, even though the game said that's where it was. Stupid people are gonna stupid, whether they are doing this or something else.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This game should add the option to take AR photos of the Pokemon in your collection. Preferably with the option to have your trainer avatar in the shot as well. I'd love to see people taking photos of "themselves" with their Pokemon.

Dei

Dei

This game should add the option to take AR photos of the Pokemon in your collection. Preferably with the option to have your trainer avatar in the shot as well. I'd love to see people taking photos of "themselves" with their Pokemon.
I agree so much.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's how to fix a lot of the most common aggravations Pokemon: Go players are experiencing so far.

[DOUBLEPOST=1469593182,1469593032][/DOUBLEPOST]Pokemon, succinctly summarized.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I haven't named many of my pokemon....

2016-07-27 Pokemon Go _ MacGybirb.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

BErt

image.png image.png

I took a gym! That's my gym! Yay!

...I did fuck up though. I challenged a different gym of the same team in order to raise the score so I could put one in and then I grabbed the defender bonus right away because I was reading here you wanted to do that. So then I actually took over a gym myself and I have to wait 20 hours to get the points for it. :( so hopefully someone jumps in there and backs me up tonight.

EDIT: LOL, it's gone already

Krisken

Krisken

View attachment 21697 View attachment 21698

I took a gym! That's my gym! Yay!

...I did fuck up though. I challenged a different gym of the same team in order to raise the score so I could put one in and then I grabbed the defender bonus right away because I was reading here you wanted to do that. So then I actually took over a gym myself and I have to wait 20 hours to get the points for it. :( so hopefully someone jumps in there and backs me up tonight.

EDIT: LOL, it's gone already
Yup, and that is why I cash out right away. You never know how long you will hold one

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I hit the 5 gyms in my town at 7:30 am when all the teenyboppers are still in bed, and then cash out as soon as I have them all.

Krisken

Krisken

I hit the 5 gyms in my town at 7:30 am when all the teenyboppers are still in bed, and then cash out as soon as I have them all.
Must be nice. In Milwaukee I'm lucky to hold a gym for 3 hours. Hell, our closest gym was lvl 9 and the lowest Pokemon was cp1200, three hours later it belonged to another team

Dei

Dei

Longest I've ever held a gym was 45 minutes, and that was a rest stop in the middle of no where. :/

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Longest I've held part of a gym is 3 days, but it's on a road to nowhere and crap for cell signal. Daughter and I need to go back out and take it back.

Tonight was the first night I've been back out due to weather, either rain or hot and muggy as Fat Bastard's shorts.

Dei

Dei

The nice thing about visiting south Texas is that I caught A LOT of water Pokemon.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Must be nice. In Milwaukee I'm lucky to hold a gym for 3 hours. Hell, our closest gym was lvl 9 and the lowest Pokemon was cp1200, three hours later it belonged to another team
My town is .93 square miles in size. It takes me less than 15 minutes to take all the gyms in town. It's the only consolation I have here...because sure as shit ain't enough pokestops around here ;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Thbbpptt...

Emrys

Emrys

Is it supposed to look like it's dead?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Magikarp just flops around.

Bubble181

Bubble181

My town is .93 square miles in size. It takes me less than 15 minutes to take all the gyms in town. It's the only consolation I have here...because sure as shit ain't enough pokestops around here ;)
But you've probably already paid for the bag extension and a bunch of lures, or whatever your fancy is. I've tried taking gyms at 3AM and they still change hands within minutes....and that's bmuping the mto level 4 with my gf's help before moving to another one.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

But you've probably already paid for the bag extension and a bunch of lures, or whatever your fancy is. I've tried taking gyms at 3AM and they still change hands within minutes....and that's bmuping the mto level 4 with my gf's help before moving to another one.
Might be spoofers. That's been happening a lot lately according to reddit reports.

For the last 3 nights, I've noticed all of the gyms in my neighborhood turn blue at the same time every night, with the same 3 people in it.

One of those gyms is in the park directly across the street from my front door. I've gone out there while the gym was being fought (because I observed the prestige changing, and observed the 'fighting' animation at the top of the gym), and nobody was around. Looks like spoofers have found my little town.

For what it's worth, I've only ever used like 3 lures since starting playing--but I was lucky enough to get a 1400cp vaporeon early, which put me over the top of what anyone else in town seemed to have. Plus, I caught onto the lucky-egg-pidgey/caterpie/wheedle xp grind pretty quick, and was up at level 18 where everyone else seemed to still be at 14-15

bhamv3

bhamv3

Pokemon Go not being released in Taiwan yet may be because one guy is suing Niantic for infringing on his patents.

Dude, I sympathize with you feeling like your intellectual property rights have been trampled, I really do. But on behalf of Pokemon fans throughout Taiwan... please stop suing Niantic.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Might be spoofers. That's been happening a lot lately according to reddit reports.
I'm pretty sure it happened to me today. I took over a gym, and within 2 minutes it had been taken over. This gym is in the middle of a pond surrounded by parking lots, every place within range was visible. There was no-one.

Tress

Tress

Pokemon Go not being released in Taiwan yet may be because one guy is suing Niantic for infringing on his patents.

Dude, I sympathize with you feeling like your intellectual property rights have been trampled, I really do. But on behalf of Pokemon fans throughout Taiwan... please stop suing Niantic.
I expected a patent troll, but I think he has a point. He's just demanding too much for settlement.

BErt

Pokemon Go: After Dark
image.jpeg

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Pokemon Go: After Dark
View attachment 21713
6 hours later:

"Something touched my butt!"

Bubble181

Bubble181

So, the park nearby had 5-6 Poliwags pretty much every day, all day.
Today I got there, not a Poliwag in sight...Instead, Mankeys everywhere.
So now I wonder: anyone else notice strange/changed spawns? Do the 'nest' rotate every week or so?

BErt

So now I wonder: anyone else notice strange/changed spawns? Do the 'nest' rotate every week or so?
Yeah, so... there's a house down the street from me that is a damn haven for Pokemon.You walk by and at least 6 spawn immediately. Funny thing is, there is always 1 random water Pokemon. I've caught a magicarp, poliwag, squirtle, horsea and a dewgong. All amongst the normal awful trio of rattata, weedle, and pidgey of course.

PatrThom

PatrThom

tumblr_mztb16WuC21rjznlyo1_500.gif

Also:

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I can't say anything about nests, but we have noticed here that different pokemon seem to be "hot" as the week goes on. I saw my first mankey here in the wild today, for instance. Yesterday was ponytas.[DOUBLEPOST=1469830856,1469830679][/DOUBLEPOST]
I expected a patent troll, but I think he has a point. He's just demanding too much for settlement.
I don't know jack about tiawan's patent system. But in the US

combines wireless internet or intranet with global positioning system to make a mobile device able to send positioning data and other data by wireless environment to mainframe server.
The mainframe server can perform many programs that require positioning data, such as online game, traveling and shopping service, and online localization mission resolving, etc.
Would likely be considered overbroad and obvious, since basically what's he's patenting is "hey, your phone sends a gps coordinate to a server. The server does stuff with it, whatever you want."

Vrii

Vrii

Today is Oddish day in the nearby park. They're normally pretty rare.

Krisken

Krisken

Gah, I need those! I need their sweet meats to upgrade a rather good Gloom.

Crap, I just opened the app and found a FANTASTIC Oddish and it is farking HUGE. I decided to upgrade him and he's CP 1053 as a Gloom. Le sigh, 24 candies to upgrade the Gloom again!

phil

phil

I finally did some power leveling and got from 9 to 13. Of course I evolved my like 200 venonat into a venomoth, like a chump only thinking about that sweet exp. Right after I was done though an over 300 venonat appears. Whoops!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Reddit is reporting that nests changed today, as well as some tweaking to the base damage of many attacks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4v92bj/game_changes_several_reports_that_ingame_nests/

Krisken

Krisken

I woke up and a Ponyta despawned just as I logged in. Dammit, I need his sweet meats!

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Screenshot_2016-07-30-07-21-11.png
Screenshot_2016-07-30-07-21-19.png
I took a bit of a pokewalk this morning. There are two gyms almost right across the street from each other that had a single each had a single 1200ish CP blue owner. I took them both for team valor and just because I wanted coins. Having no interest in holding them, I plopped a couple nothings in there for fun.

I think I held them for about an hour before the usual populace woke up and rushed down to claim them. My walk does come at about six in the morning after all.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Patch came out today, notable changes:

- you can change your trainer's appearance (and gender)
- medals now have varied icons
- the transfer button has changed locations (and should be quicker to access, since it won't require scrolling)
- the map looks a little different, streets are wider. Not sure what else.
- supposedly some memory issues have been fixed
- the three footprints bug has been fixed... by removing footprints completely. yeah.....

Shakey

Shakey

Still no pokemon in rural areas. :okay:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pokemon Badger Badger.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, removing the steps completely is a bullshit move. Pokevision is shut down as well, meaning you've either got to go further and do more, or jsut give up and wander around.
Wandering around aimlessly is fairly useless, with "nearby" Pokémon being somewhere in a few hundred square meter radius. Using even more side programs/apps is just pretty much cheating.
I have friends who openly say they're just botting it by now, I see people spoofing gyms (10 gyms all turning the same color at the same second, all turning another color 5 seconds later, and so on, it's clearyl a concerted effort to have a number of player all get the full 100 coins in seconds, then give it to the next player and so on - for half an hour on end)...
Idea of the game = good
State of the game = rubbish.

I really don't feel the need to be the Very Best Like No-one Ever Was - I can only wander around a few hours a day max, after all, and I'm not spending money on it. But keeping it fun or interesting would've been a good plan. if the "optimal" strategy is to sit besides a shop hanging lures to attract customers all day long, well, okay....But that's boring. Walking/wandering is pretty much the most useless way of running the game right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1469984325,1469984154][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, more personally: Incense doesn't work for me. Yesterday, my gf and I both set off incense at the same time, and walked beside one another to a park nearby. She got 6 Pokémon I didn't, all spawning directly under her feet pretty much. I didn't get a single Pokémon she didn't catch, just a few few alert buzzes of my phone. Nuts to that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah, I came to the conclusion the other day that gyms are pretty much pointless if you don't have super-powerful Pokemon (or you get really lucky). There's nothing to do there if you don't have strong enough Pokemon to take out whoever is holding the gym. Even if you can defeat the lowest tier to get some XP, you'd still be better off just visiting more Pokestops and catching Pokemon than fighting at the gym.

Also, whose stupid idea was it to leave gyms open for the taking after they've been defeated? It should not be possible for just anyone to come in and claim a gym when someone else was the one who beat the reigning Pokemon. That's just bullshit.

The UI is crap, there are so many obviously bad decisions made with the mechanics that I don't even know where to begin, it's tremendously resource intensive when it has no need to be.

It looks pretty and it has the Pokemon IP. That's pretty much all it has going for it. I'm only playing because it's incentive to get off my ass and get some exercise. Otherwise I'd be passing it by.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Yeah, I came to the conclusion the other day that gyms are pretty much pointless if you don't have super-powerful Pokemon (or you get really lucky). There's nothing to do there if you don't have strong enough Pokemon to take out whoever is holding the gym. Even if you can defeat the lowest tier to get some XP, you'd still be better off just visiting more Pokestops and catching Pokemon than fighting at the gym.
I am pretty much the highest trainer in my town, but the kids constantly take gyms out from under me by cooperating. Two or more people can fight a gym at the same time. If they're both fighting the same pokemon at the same time, they both do damage to that single pokemon simultaneously, making it much easier to take down. There are these Instinct teamed teens who live near me who look like they're 13 or 14, and travel in this pack of 3-5 of them.

They're constantly knocking down my 1800-ish pokemons out of gyms by all sitting down and hitting "go" at the same time on the gym battle. even with 800cp pokemon, if you've got 4 of them battling your 1800-ish pokemon, they're going to win. Especially since they can each bring 6 into battle.

The point? Make a friend or something and team up ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Offense will always trump defense. Offense can bring 36 hand picked Pokémon based on who they're fighting, type-wise; defense can have 10 (max) Pokémon in play, in a set order, without manual finetuning or dodging.
Of course, it doesn't help that CP is a fairly meaningless stat. I've taken down 400+CP higher Pokémon with one of mine. Type, HP, attack type etc are more important by far.
Additionally, each offensive victory is -500 Prestige per Pokémon, with a 2000 Prestige bonus if you defeat all of them, while training to raise is a slow and arduous process which may result in, maybe, +400 if you're lucky and defeat 3 or 4 Pokémon with one of your own.

Holding a gym for more than a few hours is impossible unless you're in nearly uncontested country, are much stronger than everyone else, or cheat (have a couple of spoofed accounts constantly battling to raise Prestige back up again).

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I actually want the other teams to take my gyms. I'll often put a low cp pokemon in there just to encourage another team to kick me out. I used to put big pokemon in there to hold the gym, but I just don't care any more.

Every morning, I awake hoping to see 5 differently-colored gyms around town at gym levels 3-6.My biggest disappointment is when the gyms are all blue, because it means I have to work hard to put a pokemon in the gym before collecting my bonus.

But if they're all red or yellow, I rush around town just before sun-up, taking them all for big xp. Then I immediately hit the store for my daily bonus. When the teens get up a couple hours later and take the gyms back, I don't care. They can hold it all day if they want the bragging rights. I just want them for 15 minutes so I can collect my bonus.

figmentPez

figmentPez

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dave

Dave

Yeah, Niantic has fucked up bad. I don't think they could be more tone-deaf than they already are. Fuck the people who are using our app. Let's open it to other countries as fast as we can and not fix shit. In fact, let's go after third party apps that help people use our broken shit. That'll do it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, Niantic has fucked up bad. I don't think they could be more tone-deaf than they already are. Fuck the people who are using our app. Let's open it to other countries as fast as we can and not fix shit. In fact, let's go after third party apps that help people use our broken shit. That'll do it.
Chatter on reddit suggests their behavior could get the app yanked from the Apple and Google stores. The email listed is "not monitored" and OP in that thread calls it a violation of Google's terms and conditions.

Another thread calls the latest update just a cynical ploy to wipe all the 1-star reviews from the previous update.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Maybe, but they have a lot of time to refine it. They are in the wild west of technology right now. Nobody is close to what they have going so far. They are years ahead of anyone else producing an AR game like this, I'd wager. The possibilities are quite exciting. Imagine an AR sword and sorcery RPG, or a Lovecraftian mystery. Nobody is close to that kind of thing until Pokemon Go feels out the territory for them. All that said, they could probably use a little better PR right now to handle the inevitable missteps while they figure things out.

Dave

Dave

They aren't years ahead of shit. As I've stated before, my friend Don and his startup had a game remarkably similar to this before Niantic was a company, only it used Super Heroes & Villains instead of Pokemon. But since they didn't have the Pokemon name it didn't do shit.

They aren't innovative at all.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I dunno, I honestly don't see all that much that's world-shatteringly original in this. I admit, they definitely have most experience in this sort of thing with Ingress, but...Combining camera, GPS/maps, and a basic overlay isn't that hard. A local group's had a somewhat similar thing on a much much smaller scale as an IT group project a while ago - walk around the city, identify cultural points of interest, "scan" them, get a soundbyte with some info about the monument you're looking at, score points.

Anyway, their basic fuck-ups aren't technological - the AR side of things works (though, does anybody use it, besides for the occasional cute or pornographic picture? It's easier and less of a battery drain to catch them with AR off). It's the "game" side that's utterly lacking and in a shambles. Hiding IVs behind a CP value that's next to useless, the way difficulty ramp-up affects catch odds (it's ridiculous that catching a 10CP Pidgey is harder for a level 20 than it is for a level 1), the broken Gym battling system, the lack of a sparring system or direct battle system (which would seem to be the "point" of a Pokémon game for many, no?), the horrible balance of spawn points/locations,...

Some of these are (partly) understandable - I understand wanting to streamline stats to an easier system so as not to scare off non-Pokémon-fans. But none of them work, and that would've been easily spotted with some play testing.

Dei

Dei

They aren't years ahead of shit. As I've stated before, my friend Don and his startup had a game remarkably similar to this before Niantic was a company, only it used Super Heroes & Villains instead of Pokemon. But since they didn't have the Pokemon name it didn't do shit.

They aren't innovative at all.
They already had the world mapped from Ingress, which is also theirs, which is their biggest advantage though.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Yup, it is the Google Maps code (which the founder of Niantic ran) that is their advantage.[DOUBLEPOST=1470069473,1470069317][/DOUBLEPOST]
I dunno, I honestly don't see all that much that's world-shatteringly original in this. I admit, they definitely have most experience in this sort of thing with Ingress, but...Combining camera, GPS/maps, and a basic overlay isn't that hard. A local group's had a somewhat similar thing on a much much smaller scale as an IT group project a while ago - walk around the city, identify cultural points of interest, "scan" them, get a soundbyte with some info about the monument you're looking at, score points.

Anyway, their basic fuck-ups aren't technological - the AR side of things works (though, does anybody use it, besides for the occasional cute or pornographic picture? It's easier and less of a battery drain to catch them with AR off). It's the "game" side that's utterly lacking and in a shambles. Hiding IVs behind a CP value that's next to useless, the way difficulty ramp-up affects catch odds (it's ridiculous that catching a 10CP Pidgey is harder for a level 20 than it is for a level 1), the broken Gym battling system, the lack of a sparring system or direct battle system (which would seem to be the "point" of a Pokémon game for many, no?), the horrible balance of spawn points/locations,...

Some of these are (partly) understandable - I understand wanting to streamline stats to an easier system so as not to scare off non-Pokémon-fans. But none of them work, and that would've been easily spotted with some play testing.
As I said, this is new territory. Nobody has designed a game overlaid on the world before. Pokemon Go is seriously flawed, but it is also first generation. You, all of us playing, are early adopters. When will people stop being surprised that early adopting will result in this kind of experience more often than not?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also apparently Nintendo dropped literal millions of dollars in Niantic's lap after making the deal for this game. Nintendo may not have their name in lights for this game but they've still got a big stake in it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Also apparently Nintendo dropped literal millions of dollars in Niantic's lap after making the deal for this game. Nintendo may not have their name in lights for this game but they've still got a big stake in it.
I think I read that they get about 30% of the take? I don't remember where.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It's the "game" side that's utterly lacking and in a shambles. Hiding IVs behind a CP value that's next to useless, the way difficulty ramp-up affects catch odds (it's ridiculous that catching a 10CP Pidgey is harder for a level 20 than it is for a level 1), the broken Gym battling system, the lack of a sparring system or direct battle system (which would seem to be the "point" of a Pokémon game for many, no?), the horrible balance of spawn points/locations,...
Exactly. The game part is like an alpha version. The graphics and infrastructure look like beta, but all of the mechanics and UI are barely there. There is just a huge level of incompetence shown in how this game is designed.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Exactly. The game part is like an alpha version. The graphics and infrastructure look like beta, but all of the mechanics and UI are barely there. There is just a huge level of incompetence shown in how this game is designed.
Incompetence? Within what frame of reference? In comparison to...console games? Board games? The sparse selection of other (mostly unknown) AR games? Programming in general? They are literally making this all up as they go.

figmentPez

figmentPez

As I said, this is new territory. Nobody has designed a game overlaid on the world before. Pokemon Go is seriously flawed, but it is also first generation. You, all of us playing, are early adopters. When will people stop being surprised that early adopting will result in this kind of experience more often than not?
Most of the flaws have nothing to do with the fact that it's overlaid onto the world. Sure, the rarity of pokemon in rural areas, and the haphazard placement of interactive locations are related to the AR nature of the game, but the UI, the gym/fighting mechanics, the evolution/training system, the leveling, the character customization, the item drops.... etc, etc, etc are all game design decisions that are well established, and this game does not do any of particularly well, and some of them it does horribly.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This game was likely not designed with exclusively Pokemon enthusiasts in mind. Odds are the relative simplicity of the game system is to attract the very casual mobile gaming market to download and try the game. More intricate systems like PvP battling and the like could be introduced down the line as newcomers are given time to get accustomed to the game and Pokemon in general.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Incompetence? Within what frame of reference? In comparison to...console games? Board games? The sparse selection of other (mostly unknown) AR games? Programming in general? They are literally making this all up as they go.
Aside from having people navigate a real world map instead of a fictional one, there's nothing new about collecting items from locations, and hunting down collectibles in a world. The majority of the game is based on mechanics that other games have done since the NES era. And Niantic has blatantly ignored a lot of the refinement that's been made over the years to video games. The UI especially is really half-assed.