What offends you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas Bandit, I really can't believe that you're really that either naive or stupid to actually believe that.

I do credit you with a modicum of intelligence.

I'm sick of people hiding behind the excuse that words mean nothing and that you can just walk away, etc...

A) that's not always the case

B) the burden of responsibility is not on the listener, but on the speaker. Sure, you can spout whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right, or in some cases, even legal.
Of course words have meaning. Otherwise they would just be noise. That doesn't mean they automatically have impact. That's why salesmanship is a skill. I can shout "BUY THIS" at spittle-flecking levels straight into your face all day and it won't make you buy anything. Similarly, I can spew a string of invective at you in halforums post 884784 without making you actually reassess your self-worth. I do not have any sort of legal or even moral obligation to make sure I don't offend you. Of course, I have to accept the natural consequences of giving offense - I may have friends (not here obviously, lol) that might stop being my friend if I start parading around in public with a westboro slogan on a sign. I might experience shops or restaurants that exercise their reserved rights to refuse service. I might get fired. But unless I am directly, overly intimidating you, or conspiring to cause you actual harm (Don't worry, dive right in, I filled the pool! Honest!), you cannot criminalize my freedom of expression.

This warped mentality is yet another symptom of the serial emasculation of our society and culture. Screw it, just copy and paste the "Dicks fuck assholes" speech here from team america. It's 6:30, I'm going home.

Of course words have meaning. Otherwise they would just be noise. That doesn't mean they automatically have impact. That's why salesmanship is a skill. I can shout "BUY THIS" at spittle-flecking levels straight into your face all day and it won't make you buy anything. Similarly, I can spew a string of invective at you in halforums post 884784 without making you actually reassess your self-worth. I do not have any sort of legal or even moral obligation to make sure I don't offend you. Of course, I have to accept the natural consequences of giving offense - I may have friends (not here obviously, lol) that might stop being my friend if I start parading around in public with a westboro slogan on a sign. I might experience shops or restaurants that exercise their reserved rights to refuse service. I might get fired. But unless I am directly, overly intimidating you, or conspiring to cause you actual harm (Don't worry, dive right in, I filled the pool! Honest!), you cannot criminalize my freedom of expression.

This warped mentality is yet another symptom of the serial emasculation of our society and culture. Screw it, just copy and paste the "Dicks fuck assholes" speech here from team america. It's 6:30, I'm going home.
By your warped mentality, sexual harrassment in the workplace is A OK, bullying in schools is completely acceptable, and verbal abuse is hunky dory.

Got it, now I know where you're coming from.

This topic offends me.

I think some people are thin-skinned; other people get a little premature ejaculation in their pants when they get to offend someone else and will say whatever they think will get them that little bit of glee.

M

makare

While they are both annoying I prefer the overly touchy people who get offended over nothing to those who cloak theselves in the fallacy that to be offensive is somehow to be intellectually superior. Cry babies are annoying. Assholes are intolerable.

If you know what you are saying is going to hurt people, you say it anyway then sure they are responsible for their feelings but you are still an asshole. Taking pride in being an asshole is pathetic. It is only funny when you are Denis Leary's stage persona.

Now that I think about it, I've helped my wife grow 6 pair.

Now that I think about it further, only women can grow testicles.

I'm not woman enough to grow a pair...

:(

fade

Staff member
I am offended by any slight to my intelligence. I won't lie. I grew up a nerdy, gangly kid, and it was the only point of pride I had for a long time. I got older, stronger, and somewhat less gangly, but you can't lose something so ingrained. I do get stupid about it, and start to defend things I don't even believe if someone says I'm wrong. It's childish, and I'm trying to get better. There's a guy here at work who chooses the self-effacing route instead, and it makes him more likable and it makes him come across as smarter even if we say the same thing.

B

Biannoshufu

I am offended by any slight to my intelligence. I won't lie. I grew up a nerdy, gangly kid, and it was the only point of pride I had for a long time. I got older, stronger, and somewhat less gangly, but you can't lose something so ingrained. I do get stupid about it, and start to defend things I don't even believe if someone says I'm wrong. It's childish, and I'm trying to get better. There's a guy here at work who chooses the self-effacing route instead, and it makes him more likable and it makes him come across as smarter even if we say the same thing.

signature.

While they are both annoying I prefer the overly touchy people who get offended over nothing to those who cloak theselves in the fallacy that to be offensive is somehow to be intellectually superior. Cry babies are annoying. Assholes are intolerable.

If you know what you are saying is going to hurt people, you say it anyway then sure they are responsible for their feelings but you are still an asshole. Taking pride in being an asshole is pathetic. It is only funny when you are Denis Leary's stage persona.
And even then he only has a career because there is no cure for cancer.

Just to clarify, and Makare said it way more tactfully than I did, I am thick skinned. I'm a gay guy who is eyeball deep in gaming culture. You have to be otherwise I would have quit online gaming years ago.

What I can't stand is the people who try to put some sort of patriotic/freedom of speech bullshit to justify their behavior as a jerk. Especially when they're all hypocritical about it and get all defensive as soon as you say something they disagree with.

In GB's defense however, he does let it be known well in advance that he is generally trying to be an asshole, so I can at least respect the honesty. I'd rather have someone be out and out rude to me than be a condescending dick.

B

Biannoshufu

Gasbandit offends anyway he can in a dire effort to somehow be relevant. He hasn't really said anything truly offensive in years. But he makes me giggle

I was going to say ignorance offends me, but I suppose I'm guilty of that sin, often letting my own biases get in the way of valid points. So essentially, I offend myself.

Honestly? People who play with their iPhones/Blackberries while in a social environment.
I gotta agree. I only JUST recently got my first smartphone, but I have had a couple of instances at dinner with friends where I'm like... trying not to be a super jerk, but all but snapping my fingers in front of them "HEY LET'S TALK DON'T COMMENT ON MY G+ FROM HOURS AGO HELLO"

Just to clarify, and Makare said it way more tactfully than I did, I am thick skinned. I'm a gay guy who is eyeball deep in gaming culture. You have to be otherwise I would have quit online gaming years ago.
I'm not a gay guy and I couldn't stand being on X-Box Live for more than 15 minutes.

Honestly? People who play with their iPhones/Blackberries while in a social environment.
The reverse of that, people who come up and try to socialize with me when I was doing something on my iPod first. You wouldn't interrupt somebody talking on the phone, why would you interrupt somebody while they're texting?

M

makare

hmm i dont really get that one David. you dont talk to people on the phone because they are already speaking with someone else. Texting is pretty easy to stop and start.

Maybe I use texting for deeper conversations then most people. For the reasons Jay stated, I'm the one who looks like the jerk if I don't stop responding to the phone conversation I was in the middle of first.

I think texting is easy to stop and start if you're one of those people who's doing the rude shit mentioned in this thread, messing around with your phone while talking to others. If I want to talk to people, I tell them to hang on a second if I'm in the middle of texting because I want to get the texting done with and give them my full attention. I only continue doing something/busying myself if I don't actually want to converse or if their conversation is secondary to what I'm doing.

Which is still rude.

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't usually send chatty texts... it's mostly information I need someone to get very soon. It all depends on the level of importance. If I know the person I'm texting doesn't need me to respond right away, I'll save it, but if I need a minute, I'll tell the person trying to talk to me. I'm not offended if someone tries to interrupt a text, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.