Whats for Dinner?

W

Wasabi Poptart

Something with chicken. I'm thinking fajitas since they're easy, but I may make chicken Parmesan instead.

Looking like I'll be getting chicken and beef fajitas, gotta do some planning for Youth stuff and gonna have it at a local Tex-Mex diner.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I am truly batting a thousand this week when it comes to dinner. My peppers were bad, so we ended up getting take out Chinese food.

C

Cobra Star

Garlic Stir-Fry chicken with steamed rice, russet potatoes and green snap peas.

I bought some yeast the other day because I would like to start making my own breads. Trying to get away from the processed foods and such. Any recipes?

3lbs honey
Enough water to make 1 gallon
yeast

Mix water and honey. Boil 15 minutes. Allow to cool. prime and pitch yeast. Put in carboy with vapor lock. Rack to 2nd carboy when bubbles subside. Bottle 1 month later. Drink. Get drunk. dance naked in the living room.

Though granted, you probably shouldn't use bread yeast for this endeavor.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Okay, gonna have the girlfriend over for lunch on Sunday, promised to cook for her and so forth ;) After a bit of probing her culinary interests, I thought of this:

Spaghetti bolognese á la Mikko (student's version: pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, a touch of soy sauce. I don't want to cause her the runs so I'll skip the tastyliciously hot piri piri I've been using of late ;) )
served with fresh-from-the-oven herb baguettes, with butter.

Top it off with home-made strawberry rahka.

I'm no Tin or Leslie when it comes to cookin', but I think those are pretty decent.

W

Wasabi Poptart

NR - If it's something you're confident cooking, then it is a good choice. I bet it will be delicious and she'll enjoy it.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Thanks, Wasabi. And yes, having cooked that meal for close to ten years now on a weekly basis, I think I'm confident with it ^_^

W

Wasabi Poptart

We had breakfast for dinner - blueberry pancakes with bacon! OM NOM NOM NOM!

W

Wasabi Poptart

BBQ chicken, potato salad, baked beans, and ice cream for dessert.

At about midnight the cheesesticks will be ready for the oven and I'mma make me some mozzerella cheese sticks (have them put together and sitting in the fridge (4 hours) to get set for the oven.

brunch: frittata with onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, and bacon

Dinner: chicken fajitas with cream cheese stuffed, bacon-wrapped jalapenos

Tonight will be semi-home made tacos. We get fresh tortillas and salsa from a local tex-mex place, fry up our own beef and mix the salsa with it to have a very, very good filling for soft tacos.

W

Wasabi Poptart

My husband made some chicken and some cheese enchiladas. I made blueberry buckle for dessert.

Cajungal

Staff member
Egg white (well, half a yolk, but anyway) omelet with bellpepper and sriracha, 3 cloves of sauteed garlic on crackers

I figured since I opined about how to cook it in another thread, I should try my hand at this:

I have bratwursts on standby in case I can't convince anyone to try it. Calli's youngest son was in the kitchen when I took it out of the bag and I asked him "Want to watch me clean it? I gotta cut the fat off and cut all the big arteries out." and I swear he went "aaa!" and did this:
:aaahhh:

before running out of the kitchen!

I texted Calli and told her what I was making and she sent back "Awww baby noooooo!"

I figured since it's a big cut of tough meat, I'd try stewing it. I cut it into pieces, dredged in flour (with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder), browned on both sides, and then added carrots, potatoes, onions, beef broth, thyme and a bit of cabernet sauvignon for the acid component. Should be ready in about 90 minutes, and I'll let you guys know how it turned out

North_Ranger

Staff member
Godspeed, Tin. I know I'd be the way Calli's son was. I flinch at the idea of eating innards.

Except liver casserole. That's tasty. Once a year. With cranberry sauce.

so, it tastes like sirloin stew. It's quite tasty. I cut the pieces small enough that it was done about 30 mins sooner than I expected. It probably helps that it's slightly different, component wise, than big tough cuts of skeletal muscle.

I badgered the son until he tried a piece. He liked it, but then thought about the fact that it was hearts, shuddered, and ate a bratwurst instead.

Here, 'down south' we like chicken livers battered and fried with country gravy. Yum :)

W

Wasabi Poptart

Sausage tortellini in a sun-dried tomato alfredo sauce and a garden salad.