Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Dave

Staff member
Not sure when it happened but lately all calls that come in to my phone are marked as "Canada" for caller ID. Yesterday, for example, my landlord, my plumber, and the freaking IRS all called (or in the case of the IRS returned a call) and the caller ID said Canada. I missed most of those calls but now I have to look at the caller ID to see if I might need to pick it up. I looked online and I'm not the only one with this issue. Seems to be happening in a lot of places.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've had some noteworthy jaw stiffness and pain the last day or two. Not sure if it's a vaccination side effect, or if my TMJ is just flaring up again, as it has done 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years or so. Either way, it is an annoyance :/ bearable but unpleasant.

Life will find a way... of telling you you shouldn't have bothered.

First time in weeks I've got the energy and motivation to do some shopping that isn't Walmart on the way home from work. Yeah, no. Best Buy closed before I even left the apartment. I feel personally insulted.

I hate YouTube's copyright claim algorithm. Over 50+ videos, and probably 30+ claims, 1 (ONE!) has been valid. I have disputed every single one (except the valid one), and all have been dropped due to inactivity from the claimant with again, 1 exception which actually dropped their claim upon review.

Now, I don't monitize my videos, because ew, but holy crap this would be utterly debilitating if I did. As it stands it's merely completely infuriating every single week.
Hey look! It's still just as bad, if not worse! I had to submit claims this week to 2 200+ year old tunes! this is so stupid!!!

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey look! It's still just as bad, if not worse! I had to submit claims this week to 2 200+ year old tunes! this is so stupid!!!
Youtube has been making a concerted effort for quite a while now to "discourage" any content creators who aren't real-world celebrities. If you're not Jimmy Fallon or Ellen Degeneres, you're not "safe to monetize," so they've been making a series of changes to the platform over the last couple years to disincentivize regular people more and more.

The golden age of Youtube is long since over. Any homegrown content creators still on the platform are usually getting supported via Patreon or some other similar mechanism.

How about 300+ years?

She ultimately prevailed, so I suppose there’s some hope.

But enough about your whine, let’s talk about mine: off work today, so took car in for service this morning at 8a.
…it needs about $1700 worth of work and should be done by end of day. I’m about 40mi/65km from home, so I guess I’m stuck here until 5p. I’m actually only about a mile and a half (2km) from work right now, so I suppose I could go chill there (and charge my phone), but again…it’s my day off!
Argh.

—Patrick

Youtube has been making a concerted effort for quite a while now to "discourage" any content creators who aren't real-world celebrities. If you're not Jimmy Fallon or Ellen Degeneres, you're not "safe to monetize," so they've been making a series of changes to the platform over the last couple years to disincentivize regular people more and more.

The golden age of Youtube is long since over. Any homegrown content creators still on the platform are usually getting supported via Patreon or some other similar mechanism.
I wish I could just put a setting on my channel that says "do not monetize" or "nonprofit account" or something! And the algorithm for claiming copyright on tunes is so fucking broken.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wish I could just put a setting on my channel that says "do not monetize" or "nonprofit account" or something! And the algorithm for claiming copyright on tunes is so fucking broken.
If you're not monetizable, they don't want you posting videos at all, tbh.

So they make it as much a hassle as they can.

If you're not monetizable, they don't want you posting videos at all, tbh.
YouTube is no longer the place where YouGo to post YourOwn content (for free) so others can see it and then recover their hosting costs with a few ads. Now they also want the content itself to generate revenue. They basically want to be their own de facto cable network, but without all the restrictive FCC baggage that would entail.

—Patrick

I guess I’m stuck here until 5p.
So I want some lunch, but because of COVID all the restaurants here are drive-thru only, but you can’t go through a drive-thru on foot and my car is on a lift three miles away. I’m literally in a situation where the Wendy’s will refuse service if you can’t show you have a car.

So hungry…
(eventually found an Olga’s that let me eat in - crisis averted!)

—Patrick

Called in to work because I'm having a bad mental health day. I just feel like such a waste and a failure.
At this point, I pretty much only call in for mental health days, and you know what? That's fine. I don't really get sick enough not to work, but I definitely get too exhausted/stressed/depressed to deal with it sometimes. I suspect there are a lot of us like that, and I think it should be encouraged.

One of my teachers couldn't figure out how to use Presenter notes in Google Slides on two screens. All you have to do is hit the drop-down arrow next to Present and then drag the Chrome Tab with the presentation over to the second screen, which is the display TV in the room. 2 steps.

"Oh, this is so confusing!" "Why did they make it so hard?" "Do we have written instructions on how to do this?" "This is soo confusing!"

Bitch, it is literally TWO STEPS! You are a teacher, are you incapable of learning? Why are you teaching FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTING if you can't understand two simple steps??

She also didn't want to bother me with this at first, so she emailed the Director of IT for the district. :facepalm: :mad:

It'd be similar to a kid in her class having a question and emailing the principal about it. Completely skips multiple levels of direct help to go to someone who can't and will only question why this person came to them at all.

YouTube is no longer the place where YouGo to post YourOwn content (for free) so others can see it and then recover their hosting costs with a few ads. Now they also want the content itself to generate revenue.
This just in: YouTube announces changes in its terms of services
From June onwards, content created by those who have not enrolled for the YouTube partner programme will also run advertisements curated by YouTube. The creators/uploaders will not earn any revenue from these promotions.
--Patrick