Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

My four bedroom house shares three walls with other houses :p
I need this explained. It may just be cultural, may just be a Euro/NA thing. What you described, to me, would be more or less what I refer to as an apartment or a multiplex. Houses are typically a single family dwelling that doesn’t share any common walls with any other dwelling. Sharing one wall would be referred to as a duplex or townhouse and other definitions as you work up from there. There is also the distinction of the words home and house, I’m just curious is what it comes down to, as I’m sure there are differences between here and NYC.

Houses are typically a single family dwelling that doesn’t share any common walls with any other dwelling. Sharing one wall would be referred to as a duplex or townhouse and other definitions as you work up from there.
In the UK there is certainly no issue with referring to a duplex or townhouse as just a house. In fact I think I would be a lot more likely to get odd looks if I referred to "my duplex" instead of "my house".

I think I would be a lot more likely to get odd looks if I referred to "my duplex" instead of "my house".
It's more like "I live in a duplex" as opposed to "I live in a house." If you live in a duplex, you would not say "I left my keys at my duplex," you would say "I left my keys at home." You would use "duplex" when describing the building itself, but "home" when referencing "that place where I live."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Even here in BCS we have four-plex housing that still counts as "house," but to be adjacent to 3 (side side and rear I assume) is starting to get into townhouse territory. Although I guess customary american english nomenclature would still say "I left my keys back at the house" when it's a townhouse.

And given that there are multistory apartments, the line really kinda gets blurred between an apartment/condo and a townhouse.

Boy I did not mean to hijack the whine thread with Yet Another Halforums Semantics Discussion (tm)

To me, "house" does not necessarily mean "free standing house". That would be more like "villa".
My house is what your would probably call a mid-terrace? Or a townhouse, perhaps. We have adjoining walls with neighbors on either side, and because our ground floor is closed in all the way through, with a back neighbor as well, technically.

I feel like I’ve been dragged by a horse across a highway(That happened to me once) and/or hit by a bus.

I am still shocked that I got covid at all, much less that it’s been this intense after three vaccines.

Our smallest cat is on me and I am just letting her stay here, because moving her seems like a lot of effort.

I completely feel your pain. Literally. Wife and I were both triple vaxxed, but we caught it about two weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder if I need a fourth shot after we recover.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't left the house in 96 hours.

USPS: We attempted to deliver your amazon package at 6pm on monday. We provide no clarification why it was "attempted" but not succeeded, despite the fact that it is the size of a post card and could easily fit in your mailbox.

Me:

(2 days pass, I check amazon/USPS tracking)

USPS: Your package was delivered yesterday at 5:23 pm.

Me:

(Clicks Problem with order - did not arrive)

1645054252610.png

The fuck it has been delivered by the carrier.

Fucking USPS.

Our Xmas gifts were delivered to our neighbours three streets and 1km away. But they sent us a picture of where they left the package.

@Squidleybits {shows me the picture} "Please check for this outside."

me "That's not our garage door."

=Doom music starts playing=

GasBandit

Staff member
Coda:

Always check the seller's information before buying from amazon.

If it lists itself as an LLC but the address is a residential apartment in Brooklyn, maybe don't buy from them. Especially if 25% of their seller feedback is "Item never arrived."

The issue wasn’t the seller. The delivery company delivered it to an address with the same number, but a different street name. Fortunately, the people were honest and got in touch.

Amazon was useless.

I cooked a pizza. So hungry met lazy halfway.
...I now have an image of you dunking a frozen pizza in boiling water, and ewww (cooking and boiling are the same word in Dutch, whereas baking is completely separate. I know English works differently, just sharing my mental image)

It's been almost two weeks since we've returned to work after the Lunar New Year holidays, and I still don't feel mentally back at work. I'm grumpy about having to do my work, I'm half-assing things, and I just want to not have to do this stuff any more. I'd retire right now if it weren't for the fact that I'm poor and probably will never get to retire.

I haven't been doing a good job lately and I don't like that.

The issue wasn’t the seller. The delivery company delivered it to an address with the same number, but a different street name. Fortunately, the people were honest and got in touch.

Amazon was useless.
I had a package delivered to my house once that did not have my house number, street name, or the name of anyone I recognized. Googled the address and it was a place halfway across the delivery area. It would have to have been a different delivery route since it was on the other side of the nearest Post Office as well. I took it back to them and told them I had no idea who that was or why it was given to me, they took it back straight away.

A hot female friend of mine came in for a job interview with my company, though not in my department. Afterwards I asked her how it went, and she said it went well, but it turns out the actual job description and responsibilities weren't quite what she's looking for, so even if they offer her the job she's probably going to turn it down.

I'm repelling hot female coworkers before they even become coworkers.

From Miriam Webster:

Affect is usually a verb meaning "to produce an effect upon," as in "the weather affected his mood." Effect is usually a noun meaning "a change that results when something is done or happens," as in "computers have had a huge effect on our lives." There are exceptions, but if you think of affect as a verb and effect asa noun, you’ll be right a majority of the time.

Affect/effect is a bit of a PITA, because both words have noun and verb forms. I personally tend to mentally distinguish them by how they're pronounced (only marginally helpful, I admit, but it's how I sort it out in my brain). I've put nouns in blue and verbs in purple below, because I am a giant nerd.

Common usage (to borrow from Poe's example):

af-FECt (v) - something changing something
ef-FECt (n) - the outcome

Ex: Rising grocery prices have affected (changed) consumer spending and lower oatmeal sales are an effect (outcome) of this change.

The less-common usages of both words can be where things tend to get more snarly to figure out:

AF-fect (n) - mannerism or portrayal

Ex: That person's snooty affect (manner) is offputting.

ef-FECt or E-ffect (v) - to bring about something intentionally or accomplish something, often used as the phrase "effect change" or similar. Note that some people more heavily pronounce the "E" in the verb form

Ex: The NGO's new remote team is going to effect change (intentionally bring about this alteration) in healthcare policy in the Middle East.

Ex 2: Effects (outcomes) of these new changes in healthcare policy will affect (change) the NGO's plans moving forward.

Ex 3 to make your head hurt (I am so sorry; this is a terrible sentence for which I apologize wholeheartedly): In order to effectively affect healthcare policy, downstream effects of this team's work must be closely monitored by the NGO, otherwise the effectiveness of their efforts into effecting these changes will be called into question (...by the CFO, who has such a cold and impersonal affect that nobody ever wants to work with them.)

Clear as mud, eh? :confused:

From Miriam Webster:

Affect is usually a verb meaning "to produce an effect upon," as in "the weather affected his mood." Effect is usually a noun meaning "a change that results when something is done or happens," as in "computers have had a huge effect on our lives." There are exceptions, but if you think of affect as a verb and effect as a noun, you’ll be right a majority of the time.
Basically this. Also, netsirk put it better than I would've (because while I'm also a giant nerd and a professional linguist, I'm also VERY lazy).