Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

It's strange, perhaps, but this is one I really don't notice. I mean, it's probably something to do with their Dutch counterparts being different enough or something? But I don't think I've ever had to really think.
Then vs than, though, that one trips me up. Time-then, comparison-than, I know, but I don't naturally feel it. But those two are the same word in Dutch.

Affect n - (AFF-fekt) an aspect of personality, a state of mind/presentation. A characteristic.
Affect v - (aff-FEKT) to influence.
Effect n - (eff-FEKT) a result/outcome.
Effect v - (eff-FELT) to realize, to create or cause to happen.

This is the way I learned it. Treat them as four distinct yet unfortunately similar words.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The shit is about to hit the FAN at work.

My boss, who is also my best friend since high school, who got me this job 3 years ago, just let me know on the QT he can't take his bosses any more and is quitting, taking a pay cut at his new position elsewhere.

This has got me anxious as fucking hell for a number of reasons -

I don't know what would be worse, to get a new boss who has absolutely no idea how or what we do, or to get made the new boss (I have the most seniority in the department but I've only been there 3 years) and deal with the bullshit I've had to watch him put up with - silently grateful he was there to deal with it and not me, or to get some other outsider to be the new boss of my department who has no idea of the reality of what it takes to do what we do.

Also, to be blunt, my boss was this company's golden-egg-laying-goose and the executive VP in charge of being in everybody's business has always been too pigheaded and self-absorbed to realize or acknowledge it. When my boss has been here 22 years and represents 90% of our experience and expertise. He has pulled off amazing miracles while putting in ridiculous amounts of unpaid overtime.

It wasn't money that made him leave though, it was executive meddling and shitty procedures/policies that did nothing but make his life harder. When he told them monday, they came back this morning to him and offered him a counter-offer to stay - and it was just money, no policy or procedure changes. And to add insult to injury, it was exactly the money he asked for 9 months ago and got literally laughed at. I doubt they're laughing now after he told them "No, bye."

And even if they offer it to me, I don't know if I want to take it.

I was fine just being a programmer, working for him. But I don't know if that's going to be possible any more.

So when I fell off my knee scooter on school property a couple weeks ago, I was sent to the ER to get an Xray of my wrist (See Jackbox thread). They said it wasnt broken. Two weeks later it still hurts, so I went to urgent care and asked for another x-ray and yeah, I have a carpal bone avulsion. On my right hand. In my last semester in dental school.

I suck ass at interviews. I don’t know that I really care that much if I get the job, but god I hate the process.
Well, probably didn’t get the job. It was an internal application, and the hiring manager just sent me a follow up meeting request for Monday. I can’t imagine that’s a good sign.

GasBandit

Staff member
The shit is about to hit the FAN at work.

My boss, who is also my best friend since high school, who got me this job 3 years ago, just let me know on the QT he can't take his bosses any more and is quitting, taking a pay cut at his new position elsewhere.

This has got me anxious as fucking hell for a number of reasons -

I don't know what would be worse, to get a new boss who has absolutely no idea how or what we do, or to get made the new boss (I have the most seniority in the department but I've only been there 3 years) and deal with the bullshit I've had to watch him put up with - silently grateful he was there to deal with it and not me, or to get some other outsider to be the new boss of my department who has no idea of the reality of what it takes to do what we do.

Also, to be blunt, my boss was this company's golden-egg-laying-goose and the executive VP in charge of being in everybody's business has always been too pigheaded and self-absorbed to realize or acknowledge it. When my boss has been here 22 years and represents 90% of our experience and expertise. He has pulled off amazing miracles while putting in ridiculous amounts of unpaid overtime.

It wasn't money that made him leave though, it was executive meddling and shitty procedures/policies that did nothing but make his life harder. When he told them monday, they came back this morning to him and offered him a counter-offer to stay - and it was just money, no policy or procedure changes. And to add insult to injury, it was exactly the money he asked for 9 months ago and got literally laughed at. I doubt they're laughing now after he told them "No, bye."

And even if they offer it to me, I don't know if I want to take it.

I was fine just being a programmer, working for him. But I don't know if that's going to be possible any more.
He just moved his last day forward a week to this coming Friday. It's going to be an extremely interesting week.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I don't want to monopolize the whines any further, so this should do it for a while. Meeting left me with some info:
1) They're probably going to hire a new manager from outside who is more manager and less engineer (as opposed to my former boss, who has been 90% engineer and 10% manager), so neither I nor the junior guy looks to be in the running for the position.
2) We're going to hire at least 2 more engineers, which is something we were clamoring for even before this (and is one of the reasons my boss quit).

So a lot of the panic is subsiding in my chest, and a lot of unpleasant options are eliminated. My worst fears are mostly allayed, but we're not out of the woods yet. The big question is, who will they find to be my new boss, and will they be an asshole or a piece of shit? That's always a risk you run getting a new boss, but I think I can deal with things even if they are.

So they are hiring some one who doesn't know what you do, to tell you what to do? Unless you are the BOFH, this thread is yours now.

GasBandit

Staff member
So they are hiring some one who doesn't know what you do, to tell you what to do? Unless you are the BOFH, this thread is yours now.
My gut tells me they want a manager who knows less about our technical stuff so he won't tell them, to their faces, in the middle of upper level meetings, in front of everybody else, how stupid their ideas are and why. Which is something my boss did very frequently (oh the perks of 22 years of seniority).

The down side is that means I'm going to have to put up with a bunch more stupid ideas than previously.

So they are hiring some one who doesn't know what you do, to tell you what to do
A good manager doesn't need to be able to do everything his staff can do to manager them.

I'd actually argue that that's only needed if you want to micro-manager your team, which is a bad idea by itself.

GasBandit

Staff member
A good manager doesn't need to be able to do everything his staff can do to manager them.

I'd actually argue that that's only needed if you want to micro-manager your team, which is a bad idea by itself.
In our case, it was needed because he was also in charge of training us personally.

And also because they expected him to pull double duty as an engineer on top of being a manager.

The Manager part only started in 2020, he was just "lead programmer" until that point and then we had a massive reorganization into the "EOS" business model, and part of that change combined the programming and design departments into "engineering" and they made him the manager, then we lost a designer and a programmer so he had to keep being both on top of managing.

Which is another of the reasons he quit.

My gut tells me they want a manager who knows less about our technical stuff so he won't tell them, to their faces, in the middle of upper level meetings, in front of everybody else, how stupid their ideas are and why. Which is something my boss did very frequently (oh the perks of 22 years of seniority).

The down side is that means I'm going to have to put up with a bunch more stupid ideas than previously.
Sounds like you'll basically become what your boss was: the guy who gets to call out the stupid ideas.

Although with less senority.

I have had many bosses that know nothing about what we do.

It’s frustrating to have 20+ years of experience and spoon feed someone at a higher level. The joys of not living in our capital.

A few have been good to work for because they just let us do our job and manage ourselves.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like you'll basically become what your boss was: the guy who gets to call out the stupid ideas.

Although with less senority.
The problem is, by the time the stupid ideas get to me, they'll already have been agreed upon as our unmalleable, committed course of action because they had a meeting about it. That's why I liked my boss being where he was, because he had the gravitas of 22 years working here doing the actual work, knowing what works and what doesn't, to be able to catch something stupid and shoot it down before it got any traction and became subject to office politics to repeal.

And historically this place has had a real problem with office politics.

Was he already your ex at the time?
YES. He had been for 5 months. And his new girlfriend was there. And one of my ex's best friends, who moved in with Mr. Z and I a month later.
It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awkward.

In my defense, I really, really didn't want to be there, but a) I had 0 usable money on me. I had just gotten out of work and was literally on my way to an ATM when the power went out. B) this was my only alternate to sleeping on the literal street. My only family in NY was away on vacation, I didn't know my way back to Mr. Z's apartment that well, and wouldn't have been able to make the 8 mile walk before it got dark. And C)Mr. Z didn't have working landline so I could get a hold of him to at least meet me over the bridge. (I know - I tried all friggin' night.)

The power was still out in the morning, but once that sun came up, I was out of there. And the friend escaped with me, because, again, AWKWARD. Having to walk down all those stairs, across Manhattan and all the way out to Queens was still better than staying there a minute longer.

GasBandit

Staff member
YES. He had been for 5 months. And his new girlfriend was there. And one of my ex's best friends, who moved in with Mr. Z and I a month later.

In my defense, I really, really didn't want to be there, but a) I had 0 usable money on me. I had just gotten out of work and was literally on my way to an ATM when the power went out. B) this was my only alternate to sleeping on the literal street. My only family in NY was away on vacation, I didn't know my way back to Mr. Z's apartment that well, and wouldn't have been able to make the 8 mile walk before it got dark. And C)Mr. Z didn't have working landline so I could get a hold of him to at least meet me over the bridge. (I know - I tried all friggin' night.)

The power was still out in the morning, but once that sun came up, I was out of there. And the friend escaped with me, because, again, AWKWARD. Having to walk down all those stairs, across Manhattan and all the way out to Queens was still better than staying there a minute longer.
That's... pretty awful. X(

So how long was it before the ex "jokingly" suggested a threesome and ended up turning one more girlfriend into a roommate?

So how long was it before the ex "jokingly" suggested a threesome and ended up turning one more girlfriend into a roommate?
Not quite, but close enough: no threesome suggested, but I heard from roommate/friend that a couple of weeks after this, the girlfriend dumped my ex and he blamed ME. Mind you, I barely spoke to her the entire time I was there, and when we did speak, it was very brief small talk. Nothing personal at all. And he was present for all of it! But he was convinced I "turned her against him"...somehow.

My theory is that she seemed smart, and knew he was a dead end, so she got the hell outta Dodge after a month of dating.

Not quite, but close enough: no threesome suggested, but I heard from roommate/friend that a couple of weeks after this, the girlfriend dumped my ex and he blamed ME. Mind you, I barely spoke to her the entire time I was there, and when we did speak, it was very brief small talk. Nothing personal at all. And he was present for all of it! But he was convinced I "turned her against him"...somehow.

My theory is that she seemed smart, and knew he was a dead end, so she got the hell outta Dodge after a month of dating.
Wow, a real-life "YOU TURNED HER AGAINST ME" "You have done that yourself" moment.