Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Not quite. The Earnest Money deposit usually counts toward the down payment, as both those things go to the seller.

The Good Faith deposit usually goes to lender.

It's pretty fucky yeah, but it is separate from the down payment. It's his bank getting its beak wet.
I hadn’t heard of this before but googling makes it look like the earnest money deposit and good faith deposit are the same thing, where both count towards the down payment, and you only lose it if you decide to back out of the purchase.

GasBandit

Staff member
I hadn’t heard of this before but googling makes it look like the earnest money deposit and good faith deposit are the same thing, where both count towards the down payment, and you only lose it if you decide to back out of the purchase.
Maybe it varies from area to area. The fact that they're hitting him up for both makes me think this one is going to the lender.

I've had to do both. "Earnest money" goes to the seller...it's what cements the purchase contract and give the seller some money to hold on to while they're not actively selling the house. They get to keep it if you break out of negotiations (except for the few things you absolutely should have in the contingencies/exit clauses, such as inability to find a lender). "Good faith" money goes to the lender. And the first time I had to cough that up, it was a huge surprise. These are generally non-refundable. Both should go towards closing costs, so if you complete the purchase you're not 'out' any money. Both are in addition to any down payment.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah we decided to forego this house and to save up a shitload more money before seriously looking again. We just aren't ready, financially. Waiting is the right thing to do as long as our landlord stays sane. But without an annual contract, we're going to be constantly stressed. Yay us!

I would agree with you if only there was actual selling going on. Right now what I see is people trying their best to wait until the last seconds before the bubble bursts before they‘re willing to finally sell.

—Patrick

I would agree with you if only there was actual selling going on. Right now what I see is people trying their best to wait until the last seconds before the bubble bursts before they‘re willing to finally sell.

—Patrick
I think it’s more of where you are more than anything. Homes in this area, that are priced for the area, and not like they’re in Houston or Dallas, are very short on market time. 1-2 weeks on average. House around the corner from us is priced way over market and has been sitting empty for over 2 months now. I’m just happy we were able to use my VA loan when we bought back at the end of 2018.

That house looks like a no-go. Payments would be about $2500 a month. I could afford it - barely - but that would leave us almost nothing from my checks every month. The search continues.
That sucks you have to wait but maybe waiting and building up some cash will help you not feel rushed into a bad house. Good luck Dave!!

Wife and I were pre-approved for our mortgage, which is a win for sure, but it's a lot less than we thought, which is a whine. Also house prices here are silly, too. Regardless we probably won't be moving until July so there's always a chance things get a little easier in the next months.

An acquaintance-friend of mine died last Friday (Apr 14). He was a year or so behind me in seminary, younger than me, married, and has a kid under 5 years old. He has cancer a few years ago, and I remember when he was officially declared cancer-free, but I guess it came back.
I didn't know him well, but it still feels strange. I'll miss that weird dude.

Nnnnnnnngggghhhhhhh, no, excel is averaging those 2 numbers correctly, you've just entered bad data.

5 minutes later, explain it again....

5 minutes later.....

GasBandit

Staff member
I had to cut down a tree in my side yard today. I hate doing that, because as I spent many of my formative years in the arid southwest, it's ingrained in me to be grateful for whatever greenery grows successfully around the house. But this tree has been growing only a few inches from the wall/foundation (that's bad) and finally had gotten tall enough to where its branches were contacting the side of the roof (that's also bad).

So, I hate cutting down perfectly good trees... but I hate termites more.

I had something of a revelation this morning.

I've been struggling with my weight in the last few years. Since falling off the keto diet about 5 years ago, I went from 190 lbs to 250+. Despite all the walking and biking, I can't drop it.

My eating habits are atrocious. My meals are...generally healthy. But my snacking is horrible, usually going through an entire big bag of chips in a single sitting. Or using the vending machine at work during every shift.

I'm going to start tracking my calories again, using Lose It. I only had tea this morning, which has no calories. But I measured the sugar I added to it. I tend to add two heaping spoonfuls in every cup. So, I scooped that in measuring cups, just to see how much it would be.

Turns out that measures to 1/4 a cup. Or half a cup of sugar for two mugs of tea. The mugs themselves are tall, probably holding a cup and a half or two cups of water.

That's...insane. Almost 400 calories for two mugs of tea. 600 if I have a whole pot to myself. I knew I over-sweetened my tea, but I had no idea. My breakfasts usually consists of a fruit smoothie and something else like a bowl of cereal or some slices of cheese. AND at least a mug or two of orange pekoe tea (with sugar and soy milk). All that combined is probably close to 2,000 calories or much more. JUST for breakfast. Then God knows what else I eat throughout the rest of the day.

It's any wonder I'm not losing any weight. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
I had something of a revelation this morning.

I've been struggling with my weight in the last few years. Since falling off the keto diet about 5 years ago, I went from 190 lbs to 250+. Despite all the walking and biking, I can't drop it.

My eating habits are atrocious. My meals are...generally healthy. But my snacking is horrible, usually going through an entire big bag of chips in a single sitting. Or using the vending machine at work during every shift.

I'm going to start tracking my calories again, using Lose It. I only had tea this morning, which has no calories. But I measured the sugar I added to it. I tend to add two heaping spoonfuls in every cup. So, I scooped that in measuring cups, just to see how much it would be.

Turns out that measures to 1/4 a cup. Or half a cup of sugar for two mugs of tea. The mugs themselves are tall, probably holding a cup and a half or two cups of water.

That's...insane. Almost 400 calories for two mugs of tea. 600 if I have a whole pot to myself. I knew I over-sweetened my tea, but I had no idea. My breakfasts usually consists of a fruit smoothie and something else like a bowl of cereal or some slices of cheese. AND at least a mug or two of orange pekoe tea (with sugar and soy milk). All that combined is probably close to 2,000 calories or much more. JUST for breakfast. Then God knows what else I eat throughout the rest of the day.

It's any wonder I'm not losing any weight. :(
I had a big stumbling block with my weight loss when I started working at this office that gives us free soft drinks in the break room.

What helped is I switched over to water using Mio. It let me basically go cold turkey off soft drinks and sugar, with almost no effort. They even have an "energy" variety that has caffeine if you need that. I've tried a whole lot of their flavors, and have settled on:

Mio Energy - Wicked Blue Citrus
1683039742673.png

And Mio (regular) - Fruit Punch
1683039806183.png

Being able to squirt it in a bottle or a yeti or something works pretty well, it allows you to concentrate/dilute it to taste without the serving packets a lot of the powdered drink enhancers come in.

Also, your local supermarket probably has cheaper "store brand" versions of this, and I've found the "fruit punch" flavors are pretty hard to mess up, though usually you gotta try a couple different ones because some emphasize "sweet" flavor a la Hawaiian Punch whereas some emphasize "tart/salty" a la gatorade.

On a related note, I found one thing that helps curb snacking is a rule I made for myself, where any time I want to get a snack, I have to drink 16oz of water in one go, and then reassess.

Also GUM. GUM. GUM. I go through so much peppermint Ice Cube gum it's nuts.

I had a big stumbling block with my weight loss when I started working at this office that gives us free soft drinks in the break room.

What helped is I switched over to water using Mio. It let me basically go cold turkey off soft drinks and sugar, with almost no effort. They even have an "energy" variety that has caffeine if you need that. I've tried a whole lot of their flavors, and have settled on:

Mio Energy - Wicked Blue Citrus
View attachment 45010

And Mio (regular) - Fruit Punch
View attachment 45012

Being able to squirt it in a bottle or a yeti or something works pretty well, it allows you to concentrate/dilute it to taste without the serving packets a lot of the powdered drink enhancers come in.

Also, your local supermarket probably has cheaper "store brand" versions of this, and I've found the "fruit punch" flavors are pretty hard to mess up, though usually you gotta try a couple different ones because some emphasize "sweet" flavor a la Hawaiian Punch whereas some emphasize "tart/salty" a la gatorade.

On a related note, I found one thing that helps curb snacking is a rule I made for myself, where any time I want to get a snack, I have to drink 16oz of water in one go, and then reassess.

Also GUM. GUM. GUM. I go through so much peppermint Ice Cube gum it's nuts.
I've never really one for gum, honestly.

As far as a replacement for tea, I think I just need to switch to types that don't need sweetening. Green teas or mint tea. I like mint tea, for one.

I also realized that all the walking and biking has helped maintain this weight. So I'm burning what I'm eating but not burning enough to create a calorie deficit. If I tracked all that I ate, it has to be over 3,000 daily since that's (roughly) what I burn according to my Fitbit. I walk or bike to work almost every day and hit my calorie burning goal nearly daily. So I must be eating that much or more.

Ugh.

I've become one of those people who always has a full water bottle nearby and it helps a bunch with grabbing the most convenient drink, but what kills me the most is snacks because I will forget to eat all day then go on a binge of junk after dinner.

I've become one of those people who always has a full water bottle nearby and it helps a bunch with grabbing the most convenient drink, but what kills me the most is snacks because I will forget to eat all day then go on a binge of junk after dinner.
this is me. wont eat all day at work, GORGE AFTER, OM NOM NOM. ask @PatrThom about hearing me eat in voice chat...CRUNCH CHRUNCH CRUNCH. :3

Dave

Staff member
You guys should look into Cirkul bottles. I know it looks expensive but when you do the math they are right in line with buying things like Ice waters. My wife loves them and there’s a lot of flavors, including a bunch with caffeine.

Proprietary flavor cartridges? No thanks.
This looks like something from the same people that tried to sell a proprietary fruit juicer. Like someone at silicon valley jizzed themselves when they realized they could sell a subscription to koolaid with an over-engineered bottle