Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

A dear friend of mine/ours died unexpectedly and suddenly yesterday morning. This is the second friend I've had die this year. (The first was a clergy friend who was a few years behind me in seminary and whose cancer came back.)
This time, is was the guy who was our first DM in D&D, who (with his wife) first welcomed us into their home and community in NL when we moved there. They were our first friends on the island.
He encouraged Eriol to get move involved in the community, and while that didn't stick, it was still a good experience and it (again) showed us we were welcome in that small town.
He was a truly good man, a friend to all animals (he and his wife ran a cat rescue/TNR org in town for close to a decade), and deeply devoted to his wife.
Even if we didn't keep in touch as much as I would have liked/should have, I still thought of him often and warmly - especially this time of year, when "the Americans all throw [him] a fabulous birthday party" (his birthday was July 4).
The world is a less good place without him in it.

A year ago my mother called me. She informed me that my younger brother was not well. After a medical examination, it turned out he had malignant testicular cancer. Chemotherapy was started immediately, but because my brother had already a previous condition, it was stopped immediately.

My brother was born prematurely and the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck so he wasn't getting enough air. After the birth, the doctors gave him very little chance of survival. But the few days he was given turned into weeks and then years. And even if it was said several times that he could never speak, would never be able to walk and would never actively participate in daily life, and even if it took a long time he was able to do it in the end. Due to the far too early birth and the lack of oxygen, he suffered permanent damage. Physical and mental impairments remained. Still, he didn't let that limit him. At least until last year.

Because the chemo was stopped, my brother's condition deteriorated rapidly. The cancer had already spread and formed metastases in the intestines and liver. It was decided that he would be treated palliatively. Not in a clinic but at home with our parents. There he could do what he liked the most. Playing video games. And he's really good at it. And he knows how good he is and loves to show it when he wins.

For a year we all lived with the certainty that he would soon be leaving us. In the past few months, the disease has gotten worse. His oxygen saturation kept falling to 73%, his lungs filled with water and despite the high doses of painkillers he was still in unbelievable pain.

My mother informed me this morning that he passed away at 4:00 am local time this friday in his sleep. He left this world like he came. Without making any noise.

Goodbye Kjell, I love you and will miss you.

GasBandit

Staff member
I got 4 hours of sleep friday night.

I woke up Saturday before my alarm went off, alert, clear, and energized. It was odd.

I got 8 hours of sleep last night.

My alarm dragged me from my torpor and I feel like the meat is trying to slough off my bones and my brain objects to its continued existence.

Spent the majority of my day today building a window platform for the new new air conditioner. I know, I hear you thinking “How hard could that be? Slap a couple boards together and you’re done, right?”
Ha! NO.

See, first I had to move all the stuff in the kitchen out of the way so I could have a clear shot at the window, and then I had to go out onto the roof so I could bolt together the storm window frame. It’s been barely holding together for years, so I went and got some stainless steel bolts and straps so I could drill through the aluminum and “stitch” it all together once and for all.
Once that was done, I got all the measurements I needed to cut the 2x10 to size and attach all the shims that will prop it up so the AC’s weight won’t be on the aluminum frame, and add some strips so that it will “hook” onto the windowsill and not put outward pressure on that recently repaired aluminum frame, and padded the sides with some pipe insulation so it won’t rattle. And then I had to take it back apart a couple times to rearrange the measurements until they were exactly right, and then once I got it just right, I painted it with three coats of clear lacquer so it won’t be destroyed by the weather.

“Eh, but still,” I hear you thinking, “that’s maybe only a couple hours’ worth of work.” And you might be right except for the parts where I had to go to the store(s) to buy the components. Oh, and also the whole part where I was interrupted when the police called to let me know my son apparently fell off his bike and hit his head on his way to the park a mile away, losing his phone and his favorite Minifig AND his sense of direction and couldn’t remember his way home (or so he says, I have no idea how true it is since this is the SECOND time this has happened. YES including the fall and the memory claims and even the police and everything). So the wife picked him up in the car (and found the Minifig!) and I hiked to the park to ride the bike back (and found the phone on the way!) and the police left without incident.

So basically I’ve been moving furniture and appliances around, hoofing up and down the stairs (did I mention this window is l on the second floor?), hiking and biking, and squatting on a roof/hunching over a “workbench” for just about six hours.

My back hurts SO MUCH right now.

—Patrick

Spent the majority of my day today building a window platform for the new new air conditioner. I know, I hear you thinking “How hard could that be? Slap a couple boards together and you’re done, right?”
Ha! NO.

See, first I had to move all the stuff in the kitchen out of the way so I could have a clear shot at the window, and then I had to go out onto the roof so I could bolt together the storm window frame. It’s been barely holding together for years, so I went and got some stainless steel bolts and straps so I could drill through the aluminum and “stitch” it all together once and for all.
Once that was done, I got all the measurements I needed to cut the 2x10 to size and attach all the shims that will prop it up so the AC’s weight won’t be on the aluminum frame, and add some strips so that it will “hook” onto the windowsill and not put outward pressure on that recently repaired aluminum frame, and padded the sides with some pipe insulation so it won’t rattle. And then I had to take it back apart a couple times to rearrange the measurements until they were exactly right, and then once I got it just right, I painted it with three coats of clear lacquer so it won’t be destroyed by the weather.

“Eh, but still,” I hear you thinking, “that’s maybe only a couple hours’ worth of work.” And you might be right except for the parts where I had to go to the store(s) to buy the components. Oh, and also the whole part where I was interrupted when the police called to let me know my son apparently fell off his bike and hit his head on his way to the park a mile away, losing his phone and his favorite Minifig AND his sense of direction and couldn’t remember his way home (or so he says, I have no idea how true it is since this is the SECOND time this has happened. YES including the fall and the memory claims and even the police and everything). So the wife picked him up in the car (and found the Minifig!) and I hiked to the park to ride the bike back (and found the phone on the way!) and the police left without incident.

So basically I’ve been moving furniture and appliances around, hoofing up and down the stairs (did I mention this window is l on the second floor?), hiking and biking, and squatting on a roof/hunching over a “workbench” for just about six hours.

My back hurts SO MUCH right now.

—Patrick

Ha! NO.

—Patrick
See, sometimes I sort of forget you're not just a tech guy, but also the modern day handyman version of a Homo Universalis, so I misread this as building a Windows platform for your A/C, and was.... "Really? Building your own app from scratch to remotely control your airco? Why would I think that wouldn't be hard? Is that really a worthwhile effort? And why Windows? As hobby projects go this is a weird one.".

And then realization hit me.

One time there was a wasp nest on our lawn and my husband ran over it with a lawn mower.

He was not happy. And also drowned the shit out of them once they settled down enough.

What's worse than having a wasp nest in your garage?

Having a wasp next you can't find.

:Leyla: :cry: :fu::cry:
I had the same issue, but in my attic. And they (the wasps) found a crack in my HVAC lines and kept coming in though a vent in my living room..2-3 a day.

I finally sprayed the crap out of that vent, so when they came through, they'd fall down immediately and crawl around on the floor underneath it a few seconds and then die. And then I had someone go up in the attic (they couldn't find it either) and just spray the whole damn thing down. Problem solved.

Dave

Staff member
This coming Saturday is supposed to be the 30th anniversary party for my wife and I. You know, the one I've planned for 2 years and got royally fucked up in only a week or two so we can't have it? Yeah, that one. I got an email last night with all the information - where to pick up the keys, what amenities are there, phone numbers in case we need anything, additional information for guests. That sort of thing. I wrote the lady back & told her it was canceled and that no, I was not looking to get a refund. The wife and I may just go there that day by ourselves and hang out/have a picnic but Kerri doesn't know if she wants to because it might be a bit depressing. I get that.

We had to cancel our vacation plans because of money and family drama. I have an entire week off and now have nowhere to go and nothing to do.

We put up her pool and the lining has a leak right on a seam so it can't be patched.

We were supposed to get tickets for a concert but just haven't been able to do it thanks to a few unforeseen bills.

Not sure what the hell is going on but I'm making more money than I ever have and yet it feels like I'm just getting farther behind. I know most of this is trivial shit. The pool is absolutely a luxury but it was already paid for and is cheap entertainment. The vacation is what it is but we were going to be meeting friends in New Orleans and they are still going so we won't get to see them. The concert is Toad the Wet Sprocket and that's the band who sang our wedding song and are special to us.

I should be thankful for what we have and I really am. But sometimes I think as hard as I work and as much as I make there should be SOME sort of reward, ya know? Besides having a home & eating. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW exactly how first world this sounds. I know that 80% of the world would trade me places in a heartbeat and I'm being very petty. I'll eventually get through this funk, but I wanted to do something special for my wife after thirty years of putting up with my dumb ass and it'll just be another day.

edit: Also, I know there are people here on the forums who are having way worst times of it than I am. I am not trying to belittle what they are going through. After hitting post I reread this and man am I coming across as a whiny little shit.

I make more money than god. we paid the house off, but now I have to focus all that money on just existing because everything is crazy expensive. i feel the pain too.

I am also making the most I ever have in my life, and yet even though my effective pay (between raises and debt elimination) has risen something like 75% over the last 5 years, it still feels like we’re constantly only one month away from bankruptcy.

—Patrick

I make around 1.5x the average salary here in Taiwan, my wife makes around the average, we don't have children, and even we're just basically breaking even. As prices continue to rise, "breaking even" will certainly start to get harder.

Although I should note that we're basically financing her parents' retirements, which is culturally the norm here in Asia. So that's a major expenditure for us. But I've pretty much accepted that retirement will not be possible for me, or for many others in my generation.

My wife and I make six figures combined and it always seems like we're signing up for extra workshops or summer teaching for extra money. We do well on paper but our incomes have probably fallen 10% due to inflation. Cars, groceries, clothes, EVERYTHING has gotten more expensive. The American dream is not only dead; it has decomposed.

I actually called into NPR on that subject yesterday. You can hear me call in at just after the 14 minute mark here. https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...Myvt7pzNaPphqQiNSspHHgi9Umx9c7z2iz2oByGqlLTuE

We're about 1/4 under median at the moment for our city since Sarah is back in school, when she was working full time we were just below it and I feel like the only reason we're comfortable is because we don't currently pay rent and save what we were previously paying toward a house. If we had rent I dunno what we'd do.

That sucks, and I hope you can set things right and really surprise her on your 32.5th anniversary or 12000 days or whatever, whenever it works out.

But since I'm incorrigible:
Sheesh, 30 years! What are your even talking about? That's like a single second in my life compared to your lifespan! :p

Dave

Staff member
WELP, my bike was stolen,left it alone for five seconds and BAM stolen.
I have no idea why people steal bikes. Even little girl bikes with pink paint and tassels get jacked.

Now for my whine.

Our dogs got into the neighbor's garden. They ate some grass...and a bunch of tomatoes off the vine. Note the tomatoes are unripe.

They have been vomiting for a few hours. If they show any other symptoms we will need to take them in to emergency.

Dave

Staff member
Vomiting has stopped and they are showing no other signs of anything. I stayed home from work so I could watch them (and do laundry from all the dirty towels we had after cleaning last night). Now we have to figure out how to keep them from the tomato patch in the back yard.

Good thing this is shaking out the way it is. I have a few bills coming out & a double vet visit would have absolutely killed my checking account!

Changed jobs recently. Had to COBRA my old insurance until the new insurance kicked in.
Dealing new pharmacy insurance has been a pain. I get meds from a couple different places. Only one takes the new insurance. The group number printed on the card is wrong, which I only found out after struggling with it and calling the insurance company. All the meds I've been taken that had prior auth from the previous insurance need new prior auths, which I think is the biggest bullshit of them all.