Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

So my wife has a quirk where she'll fall asleep if any part of her body is in physical contact with mine.

It started out early in our marriage when she found that she would fall asleep almost instantly if she put her head on my shoulder, whether we're watching TV on the couch, lying in bed, sitting in a waiting room in an airport or doctor's office, etc. We speculate that it's because she feels a sense of safety and comfort when she does it. Then later it evolved into her feeling that same sense of safety and comfort as long as we're in physical contact in any way, such as if her hand is touching my arm or her foot is resting against my leg.

Unfortunately, this quirk of hers has evolved to the point where she can't fall asleep unless she's touching me. This has led to two problems. Firstly, sometimes I want to stay up later to game or do other stuff to destress, while she needs to go to bed earlier because her work day starts earlier than mine. But now I need to either lie quietly next to her while she puts her hand on my arm so that she can sleep, or she'll have to lie there and try to fall asleep as best she can. Secondly, her habit has now developed into mild rubbing, ie she'll pet my arm like I'm a cat or she'll rub her foot against my leg. Very comforting for her, I'm sure, but it's hard for me to fall asleep when someone's rubbing my arm. Plus rubbing produces friction, which produces heat, so when she's doing her petting thing my arm gets uncomfortably warm. So then I'll naturally move away, and she'll wake up, and she'll whine about not being able to sleep without physical contact.

So yeah, basically I'm whining that my wife keeps wanting to touch me.

I've had a less serious thing with my wife where she can't fall asleep at night if I'm not also in bed. Can't imagine as severe as you are going through

So my wife has a quirk where she'll fall asleep if any part of her body is in physical contact with mine.

It started out early in our marriage when she found that she would fall asleep almost instantly if she put her head on my shoulder, whether we're watching TV on the couch, lying in bed, sitting in a waiting room in an airport or doctor's office, etc. We speculate that it's because she feels a sense of safety and comfort when she does it. Then later it evolved into her feeling that same sense of safety and comfort as long as we're in physical contact in any way, such as if her hand is touching my arm or her foot is resting against my leg.

Unfortunately, this quirk of hers has evolved to the point where she can't fall asleep unless she's touching me. This has led to two problems. Firstly, sometimes I want to stay up later to game or do other stuff to destress, while she needs to go to bed earlier because her work day starts earlier than mine. But now I need to either lie quietly next to her while she puts her hand on my arm so that she can sleep, or she'll have to lie there and try to fall asleep as best she can. Secondly, her habit has now developed into mild rubbing, ie she'll pet my arm like I'm a cat or she'll rub her foot against my leg. Very comforting for her, I'm sure, but it's hard for me to fall asleep when someone's rubbing my arm. Plus rubbing produces friction, which produces heat, so when she's doing her petting thing my arm gets uncomfortably warm. So then I'll naturally move away, and she'll wake up, and she'll whine about not being able to sleep without physical contact.

So yeah, basically I'm whining that my wife keeps wanting to touch me.
Have you considered getting her a custom bhamv body pillow?

she'll fall asleep if any part of her body is in physical contact with mine.
This sounds like one of those "well that sounds unforunate" superpowers, like another pair of pants instantly appearing whenever you try to take off your existing pants, or always running out of hot water just before you decide to take a shower.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
At the Walmart after work. Toilet paper, dog treats, and a 6-pack of soda. Put them in the back of the car, get in…and the car is dead. Called AAA. They can’t be here for at least 2 hours. I got off work at 7:30 pm after a 13 hour day. It’s 10 now. Walmart is closed. Here I sit.

GasBandit

Staff member
I’m home. It’s 12:30. I’ve been off work for 5 hours. My alarm goes off in 5 hours. My battery is dead dead. Jump start got me home but that’s it. So either new $200 12v battery or an alternator.
Damn, think the heat got it?

One way interview?!?! WTF? I already tailored my resume, found a job ad worth applying for, wrote you a cover letter, uploaded resume, repeated most of the information readily available on my resume on your online application (why you wanted the resume again), and then, you "invite me" to record myself answering two questions in a "one way interview"? Just, seriously???
All this, just for me to wait how long for you to decide if I'm worth a call, to then go through, I know what will be 3-5 more interviews.

That is something I hated about job searches. I have a detailed CV. But now it seems like every company has their own special template on their website. If you say "consult my resume" then some will automatically reject your application.

Dave

Staff member
I hate, hate job hunting.
Reason above is just the tip of the iceberg.
I can do your job, I've proven it time and time again, just... let... me... work. damn it.
"Why do you want to work here?"

The fucking paycheck, you moron! You think I give a shit about the company or the CEO or how many yachts he can buy from my hard work?

"Um...I'm looking for a long term career."

So, many companies can apply for grants and other benefits if they say they are having hardships with staffing and can't get enough staff hired. But part of the catch is they have to prove they are trying to hire people and just can't.

So the reason you see stuff like a "one way interview" could simply be because they don't actually want to hire anyone, and so don't want to spend time on it, but have to have the appearance of trying to hire, and of course they just claim that anyone that did go through all the rigmarole simply isn't qualified.

So, many companies can apply for grants and other benefits if they say they are having hardships with staffing and can't get enough staff hired. But part of the catch is they have to prove they are trying to hire people and just can't.

So the reason you see stuff like a "one way interview" could simply be because they don't actually want to hire anyone, and so don't want to spend time on it, but have to have the appearance of trying to hire, and of course they just claim that anyone that did go through all the rigmarole simply isn't qualified.
Can't disagree. But it doesn't remove my personal problem and frustration. I'm actually over qualified for this particular position, but there's not much out there right now at my position. So I'm willing to step back. That's a whole other rant why I'm looking right now anyhow, but I'm just going to keep that one to me now and keep moving forward. .... I hope. but this BS... *sigh*

That is something I hated about job searches. I have a detailed CV. But now it seems like every company has their own special template on their website. If you say "consult my resume" then some will automatically reject your application.
Yeah, I had an in-house recruiter who was *really* working hard for me to take some job, and they ended up pointing me to one of those. It was a tech company, too. I called her back and said something along the lines of "I'm not doing that. I've given you my resume, and I'm not applying for a position at a fast food joint. If HR requires it because they can't read my resume, then it does not bode well for your organization." She called me back several times claiming I was the best candidate, and everyone who read my resume was hot to have me join them. My only response was "If that's the case, they know my qualifications..when can we set up the interviews?"

Having recently lost my father as well, make the best of it, whatever that means to you (both).

--Patrick
Having lost my father nearly 20 years ago now (very sudden and unexpected), I will echo this. Make the best of it. Be glad at least you can be aware before hand, and have time to know you'll make the best of it with what time you have left.

The entire point of this is to weed out the people who value their time highly enough to refuse busywork that might, maybe, eventually lead to the possibility of taking their undoubtedly shitty job. It's automatically filtering the applicant pool down to the people who will agree to anything and never advocate for themselves.

The entire point of this is to weed out the people who value their time highly enough to refuse busywork that might, maybe, eventually lead to the possibility of taking their undoubtedly shitty job. It's automatically filtering the applicant pool down to the people who will agree to anything and never advocate for themselves.
Or mostly it's that corporate office teams implement tools to minimize their busywork and instead offload administration time to already busy people in other departments. Not speaking from experience or anything.