Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
That is, of course, an option that many traders eventually take. Sometimes their civilizations will send an army to besiege my fortress instead of traders. Which then results in their army getting slaughtered by my traps and military. And then I loot the weapons off the dead and use them to make even more traps. And melt down their armor.

In previous versions of the game I could even butcher their bodies to make food out of their meat, leather and parchment out of their skin, handicrafts and bolts out of their bones and skulls, and thread out of their hair. But alas that feature has been taken out in the version I'm currently playing.
In DF-Lite game Gnomoria, I had much a similar setup. Every time the goblins would attack my settlement, there was one "clear" path inside, that wound along a serpentine corridor - that was entirely comprised of trap doors on every single floor tile. they'd all file in, and when the first one got to the end of the corridor, it'd trip the trap doors, and everyone in the corridor would plummet thirty stories down a shaft to their death. Then my gnomes would take the stairs down, grab all their weapons and armor to melt down for the metal, and butcher the corpses so there'd be plenty of goblin sandwiches to eat over the coming winter.

I'm getting really worried about Diomedes again. The last time I brought him in was when he had severe constipation. At the time, they noted muscle loss in his back and neck especially. But he hasn't really impressed. He sleeps a lot, but I guess that's common for cats his age (16, going on 17). He's barely eating and doesn't even finish one quarter of a can of cat food anymore.

Behaviour-wise, he doesn't seem much different. He's still affectionate and even had a case of the "zoomies" earlier today.

But...just look at this picture. He's so thin the back area. He's so emaciated. And yet he still walks around fine and jumping up on beds and chairs to sleep.

I made an appointment to bring him in tomorrow after work. But I'm getting really worried again. Despite spending over $2000 last time I brought him in, they couldn't figure out what is wrong with him.

Picture behind the spoiler cut.

20210531_213045.jpg

Last edited:
just look at this picture. He's so thin the back area. He's so emaciated. And yet he still walks around fine and jumping up on beds and chairs to sleep.
It could just be this: The Skinny on Senior Cats: Metabolism Explained

This is something we've had to deal with before with ours, and the vet just explained they go into overdrive when they get older, and you just have to up the protein to make up for it. And also prepare for the inevitable.

--Patrick

If it makes you feel better, my wife's cat started losing weight like that around 15-16 years old as well, and with some alterations in her diet (more meat, more expensive cat food containing less other crap) and some comfort adaptations (used to be a fully outside cat, they installed a heat lamp and a soft nest etc in a greenhouse in the garden for her), she regained a bit of figure and weight and stayed happy and active and "herself" up until she passed away (aged around 22).
Most brands of cat food have "senior" versions, it may be time to switch over...or, if he's already on that, see if he can't be switched to another brand/type.

Our Cupcake is older, not a senior yet, and is just thinner as she got older. She stopped begging Doritos etc and eating wet food.

The rest of our cats are demolishing the kitten food and are chunky monkeys. I’m embarrassed for them.

Our Cupcake is older, not a senior yet, and is just thinner as she got older. She stopped begging Doritos etc and eating wet food.

The rest of our cats are demolishing the kitten food and are chunky monkeys. I’m embarrassed for them.
Where on the chonk chart do they land?

sNqNi9E.png

Edit: Higher res, activate!

Last edited:
Owners of the home I'm renting a room from have informed me they are moving back in August. This was not their original plan, but unfortunately some issues came up and their plan to move from Florida to Atlanta have been nixed. I had lived with the owners a few months before they moved to Florida to pursue the wife's interest in joining the HSN team. They allowed me to continue to rent the room and eventually helped me find my current roommates who have their old room. Now that HSN has given the go for most of their sales-stars to work from home studios they will require my room for that studio.
My rental agreement was up for renewal anyway and they gave me two months notice. They are also friends and I know they wouldn't ask me to move out unless needing my room was an absolute necessity.
It's still unfortunate as this puts me in a difficult situation. I don't make enough to rent a place on my own in a good neighborhood for when Hailey visits. Nor do I make enough to make finding a roommate in a good area very feasible either. The owners are going to speak to my current roommates about the situation later today. After they do I can chat with them and see if they have any thoughts on the possibility of us all finding a house together (they have been considering moving out so they can find a yarded home for the puppies anyway). If they do that will hopefully be a relief. If not I may find myself being incredibly stressed out the next few months.

I'm getting really worried about Diomedes again. The last time I brought him in was when he had severe constipation. At the time, they noted muscle loss in his back and neck especially. But he hasn't really impressed. He sleeps a lot, but I guess that's common for cats his age (16, going on 17). He's barely eating and doesn't even finish one quarter of a can of cat food anymore.

Behaviour-wise, he doesn't seem much different. He's still affectionate and even had a case of the "zoomies" earlier today.

But...just look at this picture. He's so thin the back area. He's so emaciated. And yet he still walks around fine and jumping up on beds and chairs to sleep.

I made an appointment to bring him in tomorrow after work. But I'm getting really worried again. Despite spending over $2000 last time I brought him in, they couldn't figure out what is wrong with him.

Picture behind the spoiler cut.

So, the verdict? Hyperthyroidism. He also lost FOUR POUNDS since his last visit a month ago.

But at least now I know what the problem was and it's treatable. I don't know how much longer I'll have my little buddy, but I want to give him the best life even if it might not be for many more years.

So, the verdict? Hyperthyroidism. He also lost FOUR POUNDS since his last visit a month ago.

But at least now I know what the problem was and it's treatable. I don't know how much longer I'll have my little buddy, but I want to give him the best life even if it might not be for many more years.
Minor update since getting him home: I gave him a little bit of one of the new cans of food they sent home with him.

He licked the damn bowl clean.

Picky little shit head was just tired of eating the same stuff.

Dave

Staff member
I've basically been shut out at my work. I had a feeling this was happening but it's really bad right now. I do nothing. I have no responsibilities. The person I'm supposed to be collaborating with is pretty much ghosting me. I'm pretty sure my time at BU is coming to an end. And that scares the shit out of me.

Most of my experience has been in IT. No matter how many times I've tried to get out of it, I keep getting moved back in to various roles. So my experience and knowledgebase don't exactly see eye to eye. I started looking for work today pretty seriously and even though there's a glut of jobs out there right now, none of them pay even half of what I'm making. I'm not qualified to do any of the jobs my "experience" says I should be able to do. I don't know what the fuck to do. I'm hoping to make it to July when I get my bonus. Then I'll be able to go on vacation for two weeks. After that...who knows?

I just don't know what I'm going to do. If things go bad I no longer have a support safety net. Yay stress!

TFW you get replacement gas cards for a brand you haven't used in a long time - and then discover that the nearest station to you happens to be in Rocky Point... Sonora.

Dave

Staff member
So I filed out some applications for the company my sister has worked at for 40 years (she got the job right out of high school in 1981 and is still there!). I feel I'm perfect for the position. It's the right pay and it fits me like a glove. But it's in another city. So now the wife and I are at odds with one another. Neither of us really want to move but if she loses her job we're inconvenienced. If I lose mine we're on the street.

What's your definition of another city? A one hour commute? For hours' drive away? I mean, if it's feasible, you can at least try it for a while and see if it's something you could in the long run. Moving before your first day on the job is better avoided if possible

Some positions have relocation assistance. The one that brought us to our city did.

They may also be up for telework due to covid so you could try it from home? If the job is appropriate for that of course.

I’m sorry this is happening.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
What's your definition of another city? A one hour commute? For hours' drive away? I mean, if it's feasible, you can at least try it for a while and see if it's something you could in the long run. Moving before your first day on the job is better avoided if possible
If I get this position I plan on first seeing if they are willing to wait until August 1. That's a big maybe. And since the job is 2 hours away I would be getting a cheap apartment for just me. I would come home for the weekends until Kerri & Zach could join me. Probably around next May when our lease is up here.

I don't really want to move. It doesn't bother me as much as it does Kerri, but I've done it before and there's nothing holding me here any more anyway.

But if I lost my job without a backup I'd be right & truly fucked.

If I get this position I plan on first seeing if they are willing to wait until August 1. That's a big maybe. And since the job is 2 hours away I would be getting a cheap apartment for just me. I would come home for the weekends until Kerri & Zach could join me. Probably around next May when our lease is up here.

I don't really want to move. It doesn't bother me as much as it does Kerri, but I've done it before and there's nothing holding me here any more anyway.

But if I lost my job without a backup I'd be right & truly fucked.
This sounds so much like me and my Texas move right now. I wish you the best of luck!

Dave

Staff member
Ma'am, the reason we do this is so that someone can't steal your identity. All you have to do is have your husband put you in as an authorized user. It's that simple.

Alternately:

I don't believe you. I spoke to his wife yesterday on an adjacent account and you sound nothing like her.

Really love when customers threaten my job for following the rules.

All because she wasn't an authorized user on her husband's account. So she said something along the lines of "I hope you have another job to fall back on."

Fuck off. Just fuck off.
Oh yes, those kinds of calls suck.
Though if you have good management, such calls can be a bit cathartic at times. "I understand you are not happy with our interaction, I'm sorry this isn't an Outstanding Experience for you. Please allow me to pass your name and number on to my manager or let me give you their e-mail address so you can lodge a complaint"
Funnily, if you do that, a lot of people (by far not everyone though) tend to back off because they assume if you're that willing to give that info, that you're actually in the right.

GasBandit

Staff member
AGH. First it was Giuseppe Ottiviani ending Go On Air last year, and now Mike Push has just announced he's bringing an end to Club Elite Sessions after a 14 year run. What's next, is Roger Shah going to call it quits on Magic Island? Hell, will Armin Van Buuren decide to hang up his hat and cancel A State of Trance?! Why are all my favorite Trance DJ-producers throwing in the towel?! :(
It took a few more years, but Roger did, and I'm bummed :( this was one of my favorite radio shows.

They also stole a bicicle my tenant (is that the correct word?) left in our yard. I guess they also liked those four years old reebok classics I left outside. It was the first time I used them since the start of the pandemic.

tenant (is that the correct word?)
Tenant - Person who occupies a property and who pays for that privilege. Also "renter" or "lessee."
Roommate - Person who lives with you and shares expenses but (usually) is not related to you.

--Patrick

Reactions: Cog