Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I am old enough to remember when in the US, well at least Texas had full service shoe salesmen. I went to buy some cowboy boots a couple of years back and got pissed that there were no sales people to help me out. If I am dropping $200+ for some dead cow, I want some fooking help.
1655440638410.png

To be relatable to today's youth, Al Bundy would have to be a washed up tiktok star or something.

figmentPez

Staff member
I eventually got used to it when I realized that they know their store better than I do, and I can just tell them what I'm looking for and they'll make recommendations. I'll usually still browse a bit afterwards to see if I can spot a product they should've recommended but didn't, but overall I'm now saving time.
The flip side of this is salesmen who will lie to your face if they think it will make them a sale. Way back when Circuit City still existed, and had multiple other stores as competitors, I was browsing monitors while my dad was off buying something else. I was looking at a combo LCD TV/monitor, knowing full well it wasn't a model I wanted because I'd read about it online. The salesman was being pushy, so I asked him about the key specification that had stopped me from considering it, "Does this have a DVI input?" He assured me it did, even though it only had VGA (as well as coaxial and composite for TV signals).

The flip side of this is salesmen who will lie to your face if they think it will make them a sale. Way back when Circuit City still existed, and had multiple other stores as competitors, I was browsing monitors while my dad was off buying something else. I was looking at a combo LCD TV/monitor, knowing full well it wasn't a model I wanted because I'd read about it online. The salesman was being pushy, so I asked him about the key specification that had stopped me from considering it, "Does this have a DVI input?" He assured me it did, even though it only had VGA (as well as coaxial and composite for TV signals).
Yep, which is why I'll do extra browsing afterwards.

Nothing makes me want to find a new job more than sitting in a church meeting. And I've got 18 hours of this (all on-line) between this afternoon and the end of the weekend.

I give em the ol' Ron Swanson

my problem is when they tell me that, and then walk up to me ten minutes later and ask for my advice. "I thought you knew more than me?" "OH I DO" "then why are you asking my advice" "FUCK YOU YOU SMUG SOB!" "I was just asking?"

EDIT: and if you do this while asking legal code advice I am gonna be the biggest asshole to you, by stating "please consult with a licensed professional for all legal questions!" "no we have none on staff, here is info sheets to get bids for the work you are asking about."

GasBandit

Staff member
*to be used on retail staff only, when you actually DO know more than them.

I will still ask things like "you got this in stock?"

I was working the tech bench at Best Buy 20 years ago, this guy comes up to me with a Wi-Fi router. He tells me all about his IT expertise. Then he handed the router to me telling me that the antennas are broken and will not screw onto his new router. I pull back on the slip joints and attach both in about 5 seconds and hand it back to him.

He was not too happy with me when he showed up to my house the next Thanksgiving. His step daughter was dating my brother and hosted Thanksgiving at our house.

Then he told me he is a security expert. And challenged me to a thought experiment on how to communicate with a "silent" satellite. So I told him how to do it. He then said, "We need to end this conversation."

I am old enough to remember when in the US, well at least Texas had full service shoe salesmen. I went to buy some cowboy boots a couple of years back and got pissed that there were no sales people to help me out. If I am dropping $200+ for some dead cow, I want some fooking help.
I actually overall enjoyed retail/customer service jobs because I like, you know, actually helping people with their purchases. I really pushed other staff to go and offer help, politely, and not to just point people, but walk them over to the place, make suggestions, answer questions. It makes your day go by faster, and you actually make sales when you're just normal + helpful with people, rather than pushy and deceptive or shy and avoidant.

I have 0 interest going to Vegas, for work or otherwise. Even if I wanted to go I'll have 0 time to myself to actually do anything there by the sounds of the schedule I was given. Despite how the world has shifted in treating it like its over, we are still in a global pandemic and I don't really want to be flying anywhere. I wasn't asked if I wanted to go but rather told I had to. I've had to spend $200 already of my own money for this and after the clothes I'll need to buy and various other expenses work isn't going to cover it's going to be likely double that. Plane tickets they will be reimbursing but eventually whenever they get around to processing it so that's another $700 I'm out until they do.

And Monday is my Anniversary that I'll not be here for now.
And guess who has covid now!

I don't post too much about my personal life here. A little bit, but not too much.
Anyway, I've been here 10 months, and divorced 2 months, but essentially single that entire 10 months.

So, I got a girlfriend, dated a while, got tired of how she was treating me (for the last 6 weeks or so, we'd make plans for 3-4 days of the week, and she was no-call/no-showing most of them), so I broke up with her, and now I'm single again. /whine

I don't post too much about my personal life here. A little bit, but not too much.
Anyway, I've been here 10 months, and divorced 2 months, but essentially single that entire 10 months.

So, I got a girlfriend, dated a while, got tired of how she was treating me (for the last 6 weeks or so, we'd make plans for 3-4 days of the week, and she was no-call/no-showing most of them), so I broke up with her, and now I'm single again. /whine
Wait a tick. That means you're single again! OH BEHAVE!

Lol, I imagine I might be single for a while. I find myself too old and jaded to put up with bullshit just so that I can get laid. ;)
You're talking to a dude who's been single going on 4 years and hasn't had a relationship longer than a few months for many years more The last longest relationship I had was the single mother half my age who used to post on here. On the one hand, I'm often lonely as fuck. On the other hand, being in a relationship is overrated sometimes.

I kinda miss dating sometimes. I wouldn’t want to break up with my fiancée, but just the excitement of the process was a bit of a thrill.

If my wife suddenly caught on to the fact I'm an ass, or died, or whatever, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss the sex that much. Cuddling, falling asleep in her arms, physical contact, yes. Sex, fun and all, but definitely not the number one thing I'd miss.

If my wife suddenly caught on to the fact I'm an ass, or died, or whatever, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss the sex that much. Cuddling, falling asleep in her arms, physical contact, yes. Sex, fun and all, but definitely not the number one thing I'd miss.
Yeah, I haven't had sex in over 4 years and it's not what I miss. I miss the intimacy, the cuddling, having someone just to share things with. I've never had a high sex drive in general so getting laid was rarely a priority for me.

I love my cat so much but he’s really gotta stop waking me at like 5:30 in the morning. It’s adorable to have him nuzzling and laying on me but it’s been several days in a row and I just want to sleep. He’s being boarded for almost a week starting Saturday so hopefully when he comes back he’s got a more reasonable wake-up time.

I love my cat so much but he’s really gotta stop waking me at like 5:30 in the morning. It’s adorable to have him nuzzling and laying on me but it’s been several days in a row and I just want to sleep. He’s being boarded for almost a week starting Saturday so hopefully when he comes back he’s got a more reasonable wake-up time.
Most likely a new routine of biting and clawing to get you up.

Earlier today, someone yelled "fatso!" at me out their car window while they drove by. I was walking my bike on the sidewalk up a relatively steep hill on Mic Mac Blvd.

Just the sort of thing you want to hear when you're already depressed.

Normally, I CAN bike up that hill. But I'd already biked about 13 KM from home to downtown Halifax, then over to Mic Mac Mall. I was just tired enough that biking it was too much. And then that asshole yelled that as he drove by.

Last edited:
Earlier today, someone yelled "fatso!" at me out their car window while they drove by. I was walking my bike on the sidewalk up a relatively steep hill on Mic Mac Blvd.

Normally, I CAN bike up that hill. But I'd already biked about 13 KM from home to downtown Halifax, then over to Mic Mac Mall. I was just tired enough thst biking it was too much. And then that asshole yelled that as he drove by.
I'm sorry about that. I feel your discomfort/frustration. I can't tell you how many times guys have decided to share their unsolicited opinion at me, and even when it was something "positive" (in their mind, I'm sure), it still left me seething and uncomfortable.

Normally, I CAN bike up that hill. But I'd already biked about 13 KM from home to downtown Halifax, then over to Mic Mac Mall. I was just tired enough thst biking it was too much. And then that asshole yelled that as he drove by.
It says everything about them and nothing about you. Think off how most people would react if you told them you rode a bike for 13 kilometers. "I'm could never ride that far, I'm only a mere mortal" (Ok, so maybe the "mere mortal" is my embellishment, but that's basically what they'd say.)

It says everything about them and nothing about you.
True. Think about how much of a miserable shit you have to be to shout a rude comment to some normal, random stranger you see on the side of the road.

Sorry, Nick. I know how much it can hurt or make a person angry. I was using a public restaurant one time when some random old man felt like insulting my appearance. He just walked in, looked at me, and shared his unsolicited negative opinion of me. I had never interacted with him before in my life.

But truly, it says more about them than you. Their opinion doesn’t matter. And they clearly don’t know what they’re talking about anyway. If they had good judgement, they wouldn’t be shouting things at strangers in the first place.

Unfortunately it seems like there will always be a few people out there who enjoy yelling insults at random strangers on the street and it really shouldn't be taken to heart.

I've even had a bottle or two tossed at me.

For some reason a few people just have this irrational need to lash out.

Ass holes.

Also, a succinct description of why I don't exercise in public.

GasBandit

Staff member

I've had similar experiences (I think I even posted about them here). Some people are just pieces of shit. You are not.

I've had similar experiences (I think I even posted about them here). Some people are just pieces of shit. You are not.
I had a similar experience at a Goodlife gym once years ago. I might have posted about it at the time; I can't remember. But I'd just stepped out of the shower, wearing only a towel, and went to scale to check my weight (a common routine for me). And another asshole changing shouted "Whooooooa! That can't be right!" or something like that. Basically mocking me for using the scale.

I have been staying mostly home, only going out to the grocery store and Door Dashing a large percentage of my meals. So, of course, when I go to IHOP, I get sick.

Been sneezy and bloated and crappy feeling for two days now. :( But at least...

20220702_174350.jpg

figmentPez

Staff member
Remember that kind of idiot would also call <insert fit and attractive celebrity here> fat. Since they're wrong about that, their opinion is invalid.

Those idiots probably think Superman is boring, so they just don't understand anything.

You are smarter, more aware, and putting in more effort to taking care of your health than they are. Your opinion is not only more important than theirs, you are the closest thing the world has to an expert on Nick.

Them yelling at you is the equivalent of some Twitter rando with eight numbers in their username trying to tell Buzz Aldrin that the moon landing was faked.

First day back after 2 week holiday. Also first time really looking at my personal mailbox (except for some quick checking for important mails).
UUUuuugggggghhh I do not want to deal with 500+ mails. After removing all the automated and standard crap there's still some 100+ mails left that I actually have to read and do something about or that have information I need to retain or whatever.
Also, sick co-workers (covid at a summer festival? What a shock!), and I am soooo not interested in either the office politics or the new and interesting ways our software/servers broke during my absence.
Why can't my job be to lie around on a beach and occasionally drink a cocktail or glass of wine?