Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

First day back after 2 week holiday. Also first time really looking at my personal mailbox (except for some quick checking for important mails).
UUUuuugggggghhh I do not want to deal with 500+ mails. After removing all the automated and standard crap there's still some 100+ mails left that I actually have to read and do something about or that have information I need to retain or whatever.
Also, sick co-workers (covid at a summer festival? What a shock!), and I am soooo not interested in either the office politics or the new and interesting ways our software/servers broke during my absence.
Why can't my job be to lie around on a beach and occasionally drink a cocktail or glass of wine?
If you ever get that job, could you ask around if they have another opening for me?

I had a similar experience at a Goodlife gym once years ago. I might have posted about it at the time; I can't remember.
Yes, you posted about it.
Some people are under that impression that life is a zero-sum game, and they believe the only way to get ahead/climb the social ladder/whatever is by belittling someone else in order to "transfer/steal those points" or whatever.

There are no points. Or rather, even if there ARE points, they're not transferrable. If your opinion of yourself goes down because they yell stuff at you, it is not because they "stole" some of your points for themselves, it is because, by yelling at you, they somehow convinced you to lower your own opinion of yourself ("Yeah I guess they're right look at me bleaarrrgg").

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The junior engineer in my department just put in his 2 weeks. I expect a lot of bricks are about to be shat. I'm really going to have to dig in and refuse to be overworked just because they've been trying to run us on a skeleton crew because programmers are expensive.

The junior engineer in my department just put in his 2 weeks. I expect a lot of bricks are about to be shat. I'm really going to have to dig in and refuse to be overworked just because they've been trying to run us on a skeleton crew because programmers are expensive.
"Any work after my standard 40 (or w/e) hours a week will be billed as obligatory overtime and paid at 250%. After 10PM or Saturday an additional 25% each, and Sunday or holiday, 75% extra. Learn to plan ahead and keep your turnover lower, this is due to incompetent people management."

GasBandit

Staff member
"Any work after my standard 40 (or w/e) hours a week will be billed as obligatory overtime and paid at 250%. After 10PM or Saturday an additional 25% each, and Sunday or holiday, 75% extra. Learn to plan ahead and keep your turnover lower, this is due to incompetent people management."
They already pay me overtime, on site per diems, all kinds of stuff. Money isn't the issue I'm worried about. The stress of some of the jobs sometimes gets to be too much. When I got back from Corpus Christi Friday before last, I had to call in sick a day to recover from the exhaustion and dehydration. The latter being my fault.

I wanted to forward an E-mail with a request by a hospital I got at work but accidently answered with a comment instead.

My wife is visiting her folks for the next two weeks. I would have joined her but I'm teaching a summer session. She took the dog with her so it's just been me and the cat at home. Between class, office hours, and exercise, I'm gone for most of the day. The cat is happy to see me return but now she won't leave me alone. It doesn't matter if I watch TV, play video games, or do my research. She is always underfoot or lying on top of whatever I need to use at the moment.

There are other cat owners here. How do you deal with a Stage 5 clinger?

My wife is visiting her folks for the next two weeks. I would have joined her but I'm teaching a summer session. She took the dog with her so it's just been me and the cat at home. Between class, office hours, and exercise, I'm gone for most of the day. The cat is happy to see me return but now she won't leave me alone. It doesn't matter if I watch TV, play video games, or do my research. She is always underfoot or lying on top of whatever I need to use at the moment.

You are the only surviving member of her Clan, she must be there to protect you. When everyone comes home it will return to normal.

GasBandit

Staff member

Outcling the clinger. Squish that cat. Mush that cat. Pet that cat. Overstimulate that cat. Rub that cat's gums with your fingertips. Rub that scalp so much the eyelids pull back from the eyes. Some string on a stick for 15 minutes. Then put a small cardboard box on the chair next to your chair and put a cat treat in it. Instanap.

I got stung by a wasp yesterday evening. I will say I'm grateful for two things: 1) I'm not seriously allergic to stings, and 2) it was me and not Li'l Z. The tiny bastard (wasp, not Li'l Z) popped out of an outdoor mini-shed where we keep his baseball stuff and the pool stuff. Fucker stung me on the lower part of my ring finger on my right hand.

That being said, the past 24+ hours have sucked because, in spite of doing all the recommended treatments, most of my right hand is swollen, and lucky me, I'm right-handed! I can't close my last 3 fingers, so I can barely hold things (or type).

Mr. Z sprayed wasp killer down the hole the wasps appeared and taped it over, so hopefully their little dead wasp bodies are stuck in there. I swear if they are, I'm putting their little wasp heads on toothpicks in the yard as a warning to any other goddam wasp who wants to hang around my yard!

I'm putting their little wasp heads on toothpicks in the yard as a warning to any other goddam wasp who wants to hang around my yard!
Wasps will just look at that and think “They weren’t as big and bad of an a-hole that I am!” They’ll take it as a challenge.

Grab some cheese, because it's time for more Whine! :awesome: :

After waking up every hour last night because my hand was hot, swollen and itchy, I went to the doctor's this morning. Probably a good idea because the first thing the doctor said when he saw my hand was, "Wow, that's impressive!". (I have also learned that comes across as far less of a compliment when you're seeking help from a medical professional.) Anyway, he gave me a prescription (yay!) that I have to take for 7 days (less yay) every six hours (no yay). I need to finish the entire thing, and not skip a dose, which also means, if I'm sleeping, I need to get up and take a damn pill. (Booooo,opposite of yay!).

So I hate this week. I want a do-over.

Grab some cheese, because it's time for more Whine! :awesome: :

After waking up every hour last night because my hand was hot, swollen and itchy, I went to the doctor's this morning. Probably a good idea because the first thing the doctor said when he saw my hand was, "Wow, that's impressive!". (I have also learned that comes across as far less of a compliment when you're seeking help from a medical professional.) Anyway, he gave me a prescription (yay!) that I have to take for 7 days (less yay) every six hours (no yay). I need to finish the entire thing, and not skip a dose, which also means, if I'm sleeping, I need to get up and take a damn pill. (Booooo,opposite of yay!).

So I hate this week. I want a do-over.
DId you at least get frogurt?

Someone slap me if I ever even joke about building my own computer ever again. It's done and I didn't break anything doing it, but it's been a nightmare of one tiny problem chaining into another and I absolutely hate it.

Only a whine because hey, new computer!

GasBandit

Staff member
Someone slap me if I ever even joke about building my own computer ever again. It's done and I didn't break anything doing it, but it's been a nightmare of one tiny problem chaining into another and I absolutely hate it.

Yuup. I dread when my 9 year old computer no longer cuts the mustard. CAN I build a new PC? Yes. Do I enjoy it? No. Is it always, always, a non-stop cavalcade of "oh shit now this?" Yuuup.

I'm sick again. I've been sick with something since may. It seems that my immune system stopped working after what happened.
That sounds like you can upgrade it to a rant.

I went to Petsmart for cat food the other day. I walked by the kitten cages and a tabby went up to the glass. It was just curious. I looked at it and blinked slowly; I've learned that cats see it as a friendly gesture. This kitten perked up and started tapping on the glass, like it was saying "hey, you like me? Take me home."

I couldn't do it, of course. The wife and I already have a dog and cat so I had to walk away. As I made my way to the checkout line I passed a sign that read "you know you want to adopt a kitty." I then looked towards the cages and that kitten was still staring at me. It looked a lot like my cat, too. I felt terrible.

Last edited:

I bought all the parts for a good mid tier gaming computer at the start of the pandemic because I knew a chip shortage was coming. I never put it together. My now 8 year old computer does everything I want but the latest games.

That sounds like you can upgrade it to a rant.

I went to Petsmart for cat food the other day. I walked by the kitten cages and a tabby went up to the glass. It was just curious. I looked at it and blinked slowly; I've learned that cats see it as a friendly gesture. This kitten perked up and started tapping on the glass, like it was saying "hey, you like me? Take me home."

I couldn't do it, of course. The wife and I already have a dog and cat so I had to walk away. As I made my way to the checkout line I passed a sign that read "you know you want to adopt a kitty." I then looked towards the cages and that kitten was still staring at me. It looked a lot like my cat, too. I felt terrible.
I would take them all home if I could.

Woke up with a sore throat, mildly fatigued, and a little heated.

Took a rapid Covid test, which came negative.

Still feeling like crap, so might try taking another test tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've called into work and said I wouldn't be in for a few days, just in case.

Gonna relax now and watch Godzilla movies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Woke up with a sore throat, mildly fatigued, and a little heated.

Took a rapid Covid test, which came negative.

Still feeling like crap, so might try taking another test tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've called into work and said I wouldn't be in for a few days, just in case.

Gonna relax now and watch Godzilla movies.
Swollen lymph nodes, fever, aching, and chills are the most notable symptoms of monkeypox, btw.

Swollen lymph nodes, fever, aching, and chills are the most notable symptoms of monkeypox, btw.
Good to know. I haven't noticed a rash or anything yet. It could just be a cold, since i biked in the rain the other day. I find i have a tendency to get sick if I get caught in the rain

We'll see over the next few days.

According to the WHO, monkeypox are transmitted from one person to another by close contact.
Can it be transmitted through indirect contact? Say, if I'm handed something like a food order or take out. Because otherwise, I haven't had close contact with in probably weeks.