Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Dave

Staff member
And now I've spent the last 4 hours having constant panic attacks. Great. Thanks brain. Just what I need.

This is going to be a hell week.
Yeah but you can do it. Your life is changing for the better. I know that I'm really late responding and your day is at LEAST half over, but just think of how many people are pulling for you. I know I am!

Still on honeymoon.
My wife's still suffering from covid.
She's coughing so much and often that neither of us gets more than half an hour of uninterrupted sleep.
The weather here is still once-in-a-century bad.
Our suitcase decided to up and fall apart so we had to quickly buy a new one at way too high a price.
I'm sick again.
And our return flight home just got canceled and the operator is playing mute in response to our queries - they've just rebooked us for two days later but according to EU law they're on the hook for hotel costs for those days as well... No response coming yet.
We're having a great time, just getting all the "in sickness" bits from our vows out of the way at the beginning of the marriage, I guess.

Yeah but you can do it. Your life is changing for the better. I know that I'm really late responding and your day is at LEAST half over, but just think of how many people are pulling for you. I know I am!
Thanks bud. It is appreciated.

Day 2 was so many corpo speak videos.

My brother will buy me shirts from time to time whenever he finds something my size on clearance. Today I was running late for work and just threw on this shirt he bought that I never tried on before. It is easily the most uncomfortable shirt ever. If I am standing straight and sucking in my gut, it fits... fine? But if I lean or stretch or slump a little bit, it has no give at all. I also think the sleeve have a slight narrowing along the bicep.

So I am sitting here in a slightly tight shirt that is randomly tight in the chest, arms, and gut just hating my day.

My brother will buy me shirts from time to time whenever he finds something my size on clearance. Today I was running late for work and just threw on this shirt he bought that I never tried on before. It is easily the most uncomfortable shirt ever. If I am standing straight and sucking in my gut, it fits... fine? But if I lean or stretch or slump a little bit, it has no give at all. I also think the sleeve have a slight narrowing along the bicep.

So I am sitting here in a slightly tight shirt that is randomly tight in the chest, arms, and gut just hating my day.
Did he buy you a women's shirt? Because for us, that's not a bug, that discomfort is a feature standard.

You know what's great? Making the decision to go to events to go more under people, finding like minded people, maybe meet someone.
Than trying to find something fitting the past days only to learn that there was a perfect opportunity last weekend and you missed it.

There's a profile on Twitter that posts screenshots of men saying dumb things on social media. Or stories from women about toxic men.

I thought my made-up story about the boyfriend who became obsessed with saying "bunger" would get a laugh out of her followers. So I messaged her and openly told her it was a fake post written by me, even admitting it's dumb.

She responded "Why would I post this?" and blocked me.

Yeah, I deserved that. I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up being the screenshot of the day.

Now I just feel like an idiot for even suggesting it.

I park behind a lamp post at work because it's icy this time of year and because I'm probably the only one who actually parks out in the "employee parking" area, so I want my vehicle to be in the "shadow" of that lamp post if someone forgets how brakes (don't) work on ice. Well yesterday (because I obviously can't remember that I park in the same gosh-durned spot every single day) went and turned right into the light pole as I was leaving the spot. Because I was literally right next to it when doing so, this means the only part of my car which contacted the concrete base of the light pole was my tire (see fig. 1):
doh.png
...which means that, aside from a small cosmetic scrape along the bottom edge of my bumper (as in, I had to search to find it), there is practically no external damage to my car. Driving home, however, I quickly discovered that I have to hold my steering wheel about 5 degrees off center in order to drive a straight line, which was definitely not how it was driving to work that morning.
The question is, with Thanksgiving right behind us and Christmas looming right ahead, can I currently afford paying for an alignment and even possibly having important parts of the left front suspension replaced? Well, I was saving up some money, so...<gritted_teeth>Yyyessssss</gritted_teeth>
Also this means I have to go into work 2hrs early to get it looked at, get an estimate, probably walk the mile and a half to work (and back to get it during lunch), etc. Waahhh.

--Patrick
(was kinda aiming for a new GPU and monitor with that money, though. Grr...)

My worry is that I’ve bent it farther than can be corrected via a simple alignment. I’ll find out when I come in for my service appointment at 10a on Wednesday, which was the earliest they could do.

—Patrick

I'm noticing that an increasing number of people are using the express checkout lines at the grocery store. Those lines are reserved for shoppers with fifteen items or less. Instead I'll see 25, 30, or even 50 items. Half the time, the shopper clearly doesn't speak much English. Or even Spanish, for that matter (there are a lot of Mayan dialects now). They probably don't know any better so that doesn't bug me.

As for the other half, it's usually a Karen type who cuts in line, dumps her 40 items onto the belt, and says "I have children in the car." Like that excuses it. Don't use your family like that, lady. It's shameful.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's 11pm, and my neighbor's music is letting me learn how surprisingly thin the exterior walls of my house apparently are.

Seriously, I went outside to go give them a piece of my mind but when I got out the door I realized the music, while "social event" loud, was not ridiculously loud. Halfway reasonable even. It's just apparently this wall of my house is transmitting the sound REALLY well.

I'm noticing that an increasing number of people are using the express checkout lines at the grocery store. Those lines are reserved for shoppers with fifteen items or less. Instead I'll see 25, 30, or even 50 items. Half the time, the shopper clearly doesn't speak much English. Or even Spanish, for that matter (there are a lot of Mayan dialects now). They probably don't know any better so that doesn't bug me.

As for the other half, it's usually a Karen type who cuts in line, dumps her 40 items onto the belt, and says "I have children in the car." Like that excuses it. Don't use your family like that, lady. It's shameful.
Once, a long time ago in the UK, I watched someone push a shopping cart into the express lane at a supermarket, which was clearly labeled "one basket only". She then started emptying her shopping cart onto the space for the cashier to check out.

"It's one basket only, miss," the cashier said.

"Yes, but my things don't fit in one basket," the lady replied.

The cashier just sort of stared at her for a moment in astonishment and confusion before she apparently decided it was easier to just go with it, and started checking out her groceries.

My team has been a person short (it's normally a three-person team, now there's only two of us) for a good 4-5 years. I feel your pain.

We're going to a wedding tomorrow and so the wife and I are compressing our many other tasks into a short amount of time. I was going to get my grades done today and tomorrow morning. I had to get the car washed this morning. That wasn't a problem. Then the wife realized she had forgotten her classroom keys at home. I have to make another trip for that. I can still get the grading done if I just wake up earlier tomorrow. Now I just got an email from my department that there's a meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning (not even 24 hours' notice). The university is lifting COVID protocols so the meeting can't be online.

I'm actually getting annoyed that the soon-to-be newlyweds decided to get married on a weekday during one of the most hectic months of the year.

Last edited:
One of my hot male subordinates just submitted his resignation today.

I'm never going to get a fully staffed department.
Update on this whine:

My hot male subordinate was responsible for handling a very finicky and unpleasant part of our work. Since he was good at it, it wasn't as finicky and unpleasant for him, and we paid him well to do it, so this arrangement worked well for everyone. He got paid to do something he was good at, and the other members of our department didn't have to worry about this thing being done.

Today I asked our supervisor if we'll be recruiting someone new to take over this particular finicky and unpleasant responsibility, and she said yes we'll do our best to, but until we get someone, I'll have to take over temporarily. Which, I suppose, is fair enough, because that's my role at this job. I've been here the longest, and I know the most, so I'm capable of covering for everyone in my department no matter what their role is. So yes, I can do this finicky and unpleasant work. But I don't want to.